Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MMO quote of the year

Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

No more kids games. Kids don't spend well and it's very difficult to run a kids game. Turns out Kids do mean stuff to each other a lot.

guess who said this?

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

Comments

• AcidonAcidon Member UncommonPosts: 796
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

No more kids games. Kids don't spend well and it's very difficult to run a kids game. Turns out Kids do mean stuff to each other a lot.

guess who said this?

Smedley is out of touch with reality enough to say something like this.  That's my vote.

• FomaldehydeJimFomaldehydeJim Member UncommonPosts: 673
    Originally posted by Acidon

guess who said this?

Smedley is out of touch with reality enough to say something like this.  That's my vote.

I'd second this.  

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

guess who said this?

Did he say something wrong or inaccurate? 

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • craftseekercraftseeker Member RarePosts: 1,740

guess who said this?

John Smedley at the beginning of this year on Reddit.  He said it in relation to "Free Realms"  a game aimed at  a pre-teen market.

• AcidonAcidon Member UncommonPosts: 796
    Originally posted by bcbully

guess who said this?

"No more kids games. Kids don't spend well.."

Maybe not, but their parents do.  Whether they earn it first via allowance or outright. 

I just think it's an insane thing to say if you're in the gaming industry.

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

guess who said this?

Maybe not, but their parents do.  Whether they earn it first via allowance or outright. 

Its not the first part of the statement that makes it interessting,....     Its the seccond part...

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

guess who said this?

Recently a Superdata Exec confirmed that parent prefer to pay a fixed price (aka a sub) for their children's MMO's, so when compared to how adults might spend (see the megabucks dropped on SC for example), children's games don't bring in revenue anywhere near what those aimed at adults do.

So final analysis, he's actually pretty much on point with this message.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• FomaldehydeJimFomaldehydeJim Member UncommonPosts: 673
    Originally posted by Kyleran

guess who said this?

Recently a Superdata Exec confirmed that parent prefer to pay a fixed price (aka a sub) for their children's MMO's, so when compared to how adults might spend (see the megabucks dropped on SC for example), children's games don't bring in revenue anywhere near what those aimed at adults do.

Tell that to KingsIsle.  

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    Originally posted by FomaldehydeJim

guess who said this?

Tell that to KingsIsle.  

They are filling a niche island... Offcourse money can be made with games aimed at the younger....

Stil i am convinced that if you make an MMO with depth, deep and dark lore for 18+ it will do much better then an MMO aimed to suit everyone...   Maybe its the parrent in me, but children younger then 16 should not play games in an adult society.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

Stil i am convinced that if you make an MMO with depth, deep and dark lore for 18+ it will do much better then an MMO aimed to suit everyone...   Maybe its the parrent in me, but children younger then 16 should not play games in an adult society.

depth may be .. but deep & dark lore?

WoW and Diablo 3 tell me that you are wrong.

• CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    Originally posted by FomaldehydeJim

guess who said this?

Tell that to KingsIsle.  

They are filling a niche island... Offcourse money can be made with games aimed at the younger....

I agree with you on the type of game that they should be making. It does need to have mass appeal, but you also can't exclude the younger audience. Unfortunately, people like you and me have probably already found a set of games we're invested in. Breaking into that fold is more difficult than convincing a younger player they should play. That doesn't mean you have to go easy on content, though. You should be targeting a teenage market. One that's very familiar with zombies tearing flesh from bones, jump scares, paranormal activities-ish content. I feel like kids (teens) are much more informed these days and much more resilient to harsh content. 

I don't think that means that you exclude kids from games, though. It means that you need to think of creative ways to expose kids to your brands earlier on and convert them in years to come. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------