Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Are the expansions now free?

XerekXerek Member CommonPosts: 61
I used to play this back at launch, stopped after the first expansion. A friend is trying to talk me back into it so I went to price all the xpacks I missed. I saw WoD listed with a price, but none of the other ones. I heard that if you buy the main game that you get all the expansions except WoD for free. If so, where do I stand? Since I own the main game and first xpack do I now have the rest (except WoD) for free?

Comments

• HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680
    Login in to your account. You may have it upgraded already. 
  • ForgrimmForgrimm Member EpicPosts: 3,059
    Originally posted by Hariken

Yeah a lot of accounts were automatically upgraded all the way up to MoP. The only thing you'd have to pay for is WoD.

• HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680
    And don't forget to checkout the new and returning board on the Wow site. You can get all the help you need there.
  • PepeqPepeq Member UncommonPosts: 1,977

All WoW accounts were upgraded to include the previous expansions during WoD beta timeframe.  So if anyone has ever had a WoW account or purchases a WoW account from this day forward, it includes Classic, TBC, WotLK, Cata, and MoP.

Just in case, the WoD expansion DOES NOT include game time.

• plyrofmmoplyrofmmo Member UncommonPosts: 25

When did Mists come out?

I think I would be pissed if I paid full price for Mists and then everyone was upgraded.

• XerekXerek Member CommonPosts: 61
    Originally posted by Hariken

Why in the world would I do that?  It would be quick, easy, and make perfect sense. XD

And yes, it appears I have been upgraded through and including MoP.  Huh, looks like I'm only a few days away from the 6th year anniversary of my last day in-game.  Might just have to dip my toes in the water.  This, I'm sure, will be nothing like the WoW I remember.

Thanks, all of you, for helping me out.

• suckm3suckm3 Member UncommonPosts: 187

Wow is money machine for blizzard (also for gold farmers and all the people who is selling their boots etc.), don't be that naive if you think they will give you anything for free.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”? -Albert Einstein 

"The ability to speak doesn't make you intelligent" - Qui-gon Jinn. After many years of reading Internet forums, there's no doubt that neither does the ability to write.
    So if you notice that I'm no longer answering your nonsense, stop trying... because you just joined my block list.

• XerekXerek Member CommonPosts: 61
    Originally posted by lickm3

Wow is money machine for blizzard (also for gold farmers and all the people who is selling their boots etc.), don't be that naive if you think they will give you anything for free.

They already did.  Though I'm no fool.  I am the perfect example of why they did.  The prospect of buying a billion expansions is a daunting one for new players or returning players who only own one or two.  With all the other new MMOs out there they knew they were going to have to up their game.  This way they say, "Hey, you already own it?  Come back!  Looking to get into it now that the cool WoD you heard about is out?  Just buy the base game.  We'll give you everything but WoD as a free bonus!  Only one XPack to worry about and you don't need it right off the bat."

It's a good plan, and one that in my case may well work.  Given it's a PtP game, the idea of buying 3-4 XPacks was not an appealing one.

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860
    Originally posted by lickm3

If I didn't pay for it and it is given to me it is free. /shrug Sure, the game costs a monthly subscription, but at least the client is free if you even have the classic WoW bought from 2004, you now have the 4 expansions for nothing. And if you don't, it's only $4.95 and that is pretty close to free for me. :)

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.