Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Clumsy combat

Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
Why does combat in this game so clumsy when i compare it to WoW.... Just not fluent..   There is so much to love about this game, yet every time i retry i grow bored with the combat even before reaching level 20

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

Comments

• SaluteSalute Member UncommonPosts: 795
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus
    Why does combat in this game so clumsy when i compare it to WoW.... Just not fluent..   There is so much to love about this game, yet every time i retry i grow bored with the combat even before reaching level 20

I love both games and while i agree that Rift combat is not something special, i would also say that WoW combat feels boring and dated anymore. Maybe the no1 reason for me for staying away from WoD, despite i think its a good expansion overall.

All Time Favorites: EQ1, WoW, EvE, GW1
    Playing Now: WoW, ESO, GW2

• 5ubzer05ubzer0 Member UncommonPosts: 72

What's there to grow bored of? I play a rogue and swap souls in pvp and pve probably every fifteen minutes. Sometimes I switch to a different soul in the middle of warzones depending on how my team is doing. As someone who alternates between bard, ranger, physician and my various just for fun specs I find combat on all of them fluid and engaging.

I tried WoW again last week and just couldn't do it. Druid was always the most versatile class for me, but it just doesn't compare to being able to switch souls on the fly.

Have you tried playing bard? Play it in mid-tier pvp, it's ridiculously fun.

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    I have to add to this that 2 handed hammer clerics combat is a step up above  staff mellee

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680

Man i'm so with you about this. I love everything else about this game. But as soon as i start combat i cringe. If it was fluid as Wow i would probably still be playing it. It just feels so off to me.  Wow's fluid gameplay has spoiled me.

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    I would agree with this, wow's strength is its animation, whereas it is one of the few weaknesses of rift (performance is iffy too).

if in doubt try jumping, its like watching a man jwho is wearing a nappy loaded with 2 gallons of water in rift :p

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• YashaXYashaX Member EpicPosts: 3,098

It has some reasonable combat depending on class/build, but the animations are pretty bad compared to WoW. Combat in WoW is fairly boring as well though.

• someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088
    I agree with the OP. Although I prefer Rift over WoW for many other reasons, combat is certainly something I think is not as good as in WoW. Animations that sometimes not play at all or get broken off for weird reasons, a weird global down timer. I sometimes suspect that the server has trouble keeping up, maybe because spammy macro's is normal to have in this game. Lot of skills have (visual) glitches and inconsistencies too. On the other hand, it is very easy to survive during lvling, so I doubt many even notice this. Especially not when using combat macro's that just spam skills so to immediately activate after cooldown.
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,919
    So many games never manage what WoW did in 2004 responsive combat and one of the reasons people still love it. You click on a skill and it goes off what a simple concept and yet so many games screw that up royally. Responsive combat is one of the most perfect and complete experiences in WoW especially when you play a melee character.