Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dragon Age: Inquisition -- should I buy it?

d_20d_20 Member RarePosts: 1,878

I've been on the fence about this, just reading reviews from game sites. I just want to know what you guys think if you've played DAI.

Any pros and cons to think about?  What would you compare this game to, if anything?

Comments

• rhan101277rhan101277 Member UncommonPosts: 23
    I too am on the fence.   I have read mostly positive reviews and have read also that the game world is bigger than skyrim.  I enjoy huge game worlds with lots of exploring and lots to do.  The thing that concerns me is combat, most of the reviews say that the combat is not that good.  I may be will to forgo that if the rest of the game is outstanding and people just can't put the game down.
  • IfrianMMOIfrianMMO Member UncommonPosts: 252

As a player who LOVED Dragon Age: Origins and HATED TO DEATH the infamous Dragon Age 2, i have to say that Dragon Age: Inquisition is easily the best entry in the series and i am enjoying it a lot.

The world may be bigger than Skyrim (Not sure since i am not even close to half of the game) but do remember that each zone is instanced and separated.

This does NOT kill exploration because the zones are HUGE and have a lot of diff paths to take for each destination, but if you are one of those players that MUST  be able to access the whole thing on foot at every single time, it may annoy you.

Be warned however, a decent, thorugh play through can take up to and more than 90 hours and thus the game is a lot slower than the original Dragon Age when it comes to delivering choices, cutscenes and decisions.

You will still find plenty of those and overall it may even have a lot more than the original game, but they are spread over such a huge experience so at times you feel a bit aching for a bit more story and a bit less questing.

Over all though, the game is brilliant, rich, has a lot of awesome new features, and the whole inquisition part is AWESOME once it actually picks up and becomes the main focus of the story.

Overall, i would say this is the best Dragon Age ever made IF <-------- you have the patience for a long adventure.

If you just want a quick epic storyline fix, its probably not the game for you.

• Sevenstar61Sevenstar61 Member UncommonPosts: 1,686

Totally worth buying. Warning though, it's very addicting LOL. Even when I am not playing I am thinking about it. 

The way how the Inquisition War Room is set is brilliant. Darn, even the sound when you get there...

Zones are huge and all quests you do are i some way connected to the main path, which it awesome. It's actual fun of doing them, exploration is very rewarding, you can find stuff everywhere... sometimes it almost seem too much but I am not going to complain. And Dragons!!!... so many Dragons to conquer....

Sith Warrior - Story of Hate and Love http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxKrlwXt7Ao
    Imperial Agent - Rise of Cipher Nine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBBj3eJWBvU&feature=youtu.be
    Imperial Agent - Hunt for the Eagle Part 1http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQqjYYU128E

• IlayaIlaya Member UncommonPosts: 661

Long Story short: Buy it!

Okay, it is a bit ...uhm...i'm not a native english speaker but i think the term "clunky" fits when it comes to M & K controls tho. I have right now close to 100hrs in the Game and i dont regret a single cent. not even a half cent.

It is just awesome. Dont let the "reviews" and whatnots poison you. They are just not true. And when i see the Metacritic Bullshit....i could just throw up. I have 4 friends here and we all think it is an awesome piece of Game.

And sure, it is not patched just yet, so as ANY other Game out there it has some glitches or so, but thats normal these days. You get an HUGE World for your money where you can spend hrs and hrs in if you want. And just saying, with my ~100hrs playtime, i'm not nearly to the end yet. But i'm an explorer type of guy. So i look under every nook and cranny.

All i can say go 4 it! With an open mind, you will have a Blast!!!

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001
    Originally posted by d_20

I've been on the fence about this, just reading reviews from game sites. I just want to know what you guys think if you've played DAI.

Any pros and cons to think about?  What would you compare this game to, if anything?

I love the game.

I have 25 hours in and a good chunk of that is restarting with different characters/classes to "get it right".

Now that I have a main character/class I've been really enjoying myself. 

I've allowed "the nvidia" experience to optimize the game and that has given me a decent graphical experience. I tried fooling around the settings but "in game" the best for me was setting them to "automatic".

One thing to note, so far exploring let's you find more quests and crafting materials but I haven't yet found significantly long dungeons like one would find in an Elder Scrolls game. I think I read some place where there might be a few but haven't yet found any.

If you are wandering and feel a bit "lost" or not engaged, my advice is to then continue the main quest. It acts as a bit of a spine to the game play. I realized I was trying to play the game like an elder scrolls game but the reality for me was that playing it like a bioware game with some freedom was the best bet for me.

I would compare the game to any bioware game as that is what it is.

If you like how they present stories then you should like this game.

Some people have had technical difficulties. I've only had the game crash twice. I use quicksave a lot "just in case" but twice is ok for me.

If you are the type of person who gets easily upset at things then you might wait.

for example, there is a bug (some other people get this) where an npc for the main quest is nowhere to be seen but the quest marker puts him inside a rock. I had to revisit some earlier play throughs to realize this was a bug.

I had to resort to an earlier save which fixed it. Also, some have suggested a memory leak because the game slows down a bit the longer you play it. Restarting fixes it.

The more I play it the more interesting it gets.

Also, if you play a melee, my experience the warrior, then pressing "W" while you are fighting will help you stick to the target if it moves. At first I wasn't doing this and the target would move away and I would hit air (which is fine). However, there is a slight rooting as you finish your animation and that took a bit to get used to. However, using "W" helped immensely.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • eddieg50eddieg50 Member UncommonPosts: 1,809
    Just to let you know about 1 out of 3 people are having tech problems with the game especially if you have an ati card but even people with Nvidia cards are having problems, it does not matter what driver you have or getting rid of Origin in game or overlays or lowering graphics, it is inherent in the game and have to wait for a patch and hope that fixes it. You can check Bioware tech support to see what I mean. I have played about 3 hours and it has crashed about 20 times, take away the crashes and it seems like a good game LOL, obviously if you like Bioware games you will like this. 
  • BigdaddyxBigdaddyx Member UncommonPosts: 2,039
    Originally posted by d_20

It would be a crime not to buy it. I really can't think of any cons but i can't give the pros without ruining the story for you. All i can say is that it is one of the best RPG i have played this year and has one of the most fun classes ever.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004

At first i was on the fence about this game, but after watching Jesse Cox play the game, i think it probably is worth buying, although i don't recommend getting the digital version from Origin, i just checked out the prices on Amazon and they are significantly as in  really significantly, cheaper there, except for the digital download version, which is kind of crazy, how can a boxed version of the game cost £34 and yet the digital download costs £50, it just doesn't make any sense, surely the lack of packaging would make the game cheaper not more expensive image

Real WTF moment right there tbh image

• BigdaddyxBigdaddyx Member UncommonPosts: 2,039
    Originally posted by Phry

At first i was on the fence about this game, but after watching Jesse Cox play the game, i think it probably is worth buying, although i don't recommend getting the digital version from Origin, i just checked out the prices on Amazon and they are significantly as in  really significantly, cheaper there, except for the digital download version, which is kind of crazy, how can a boxed version of the game cost £34 and yet the digital download costs £50, it just doesn't make any sense, surely the lack of packaging would make the game cheaper not more expensive image

Boxed version is cheaper due to low demand. Where i live all boxed versions are still on the shelf. At first i thought hey no one is buying it but then the guy who works there told me they will return some boxes since everyone prefers downloading the game.

So the prices you see are according to supply and demand.

• ThebeastttThebeasttt Member RarePosts: 1,130
    Depends if you want a single player MMO or not. Personally I think there's already way too many of those lately but at least Dragon Age doesn't lie to itself calling it MMORPG, unlike GW2.
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Originally posted by Bigdaddyx
    Originally posted by Phry

Boxed version is cheaper due to low demand. Where i live all boxed versions are still on the shelf. At first i thought hey no one is buying it but then the guy who works there told me they will return some boxes since everyone prefers downloading the game.

So the prices you see are according to supply and demand.

UK doesnt really have shops that sell boxed versions, for consoles maybe, but not for PC, so the only way to buy a game, boxed at least, is usually via mail order through companies like Amazon, the two prices i quoted are actually from Amazon themselves, somehow i can't imagine Amazon having an issue with boxes being left on shelves. image

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Originally posted by Sovrath

One thing to note, so far exploring let's you find more quests and crafting materials but I haven't yet found significantly long dungeons like one would find in an Elder Scrolls game. I think I read some place where there might be a few but haven't yet found any.

Slight spoiler about where to find one of the dungeons below...

If you haven't found it yet, there is one in the Hinterlands at the S end of the lake opposite from where you first meet Blackwall. The door will be locked and require a key when you first go there but a new quest to find the key will start when you go to the door.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• chakalakachakalaka Member UncommonPosts: 291

Yes, the single player just grabs you and drags you right on in.

• AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,836

Dragon Age Inquisition is largely a case of quantity over quality. It gives you a ton of side quests. It gives you a lot of companions. It has massive maps. The class customization grants a large number of options.

Unfortunately, a lot of this is tedium. Most of the quests are standard "go to x location, kill x" fare, and the rifts are even worse than those in Rift, leaving the story missions as some of the only real points of significance in the game. Unlike Dragon Age Origins, most of the content does not allow for much in the way of major, game-changing choices, and this hurts replay value significantly (and the single starting location doesn't help this). The cast is largely forgettable. The romance options are arguably the worst in the series. The War Table is a largely pointless feature. The classes and individual skills are poorly balanced, with a plethora of skills standing out as underpowered or outright bugged.

It's still a game that I would recommend for its "bang for your buck" factor, but it definitely doesn't raise the bar.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by Aeander

Dragon Age Inquisition is largely a case of quantity over quality. It gives you a ton of side quests. It gives you a lot of companions. It has massive maps. The class customization grants a large number of options.

Unfortunately, a lot of this is tedium. Most of the quests are standard "go to x location, kill x" fare, and the rifts are even worse than those in Rift, leaving the story missions as some of the only real points of significance in the game. Unlike Dragon Age Origins, most of the content does not allow for much in the way of major, game-changing choices, and this hurts replay value significantly (and the single starting location doesn't help this). The cast is largely forgettable. The romance options are arguably the worst in the series. The War Table is a largely pointless feature. The classes and individual skills are poorly balanced, with a plethora of skills standing out as underpowered or outright bugged.

It's still a game that I would recommend for its "bang for your buck" factor, but it definitely doesn't raise the bar.

THat's not what people I know IRL say at all, two I watch play almost daily (my wife and roommate both huge RPG fans) are constantly blown away by something they experience. I have only dabbled thus far (I"m deep into Wasteland 2 right now), but in no way would I call what I have seen mediocre.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• sketocafesketocafe Member UncommonPosts: 950

It's got hotbar combat. I mean, I am aware what site we're on but these people literally added hotbar combat, on purpose, into a game that wasn't a MMO. 

If this isn't a problem for you, great. If hotbar combat is one of the things you've grown sick of in MMOs over the years, give it a pass for now.

• Sevenstar61Sevenstar61 Member UncommonPosts: 1,686
    Originally posted by sketocafe

It's got hotbar combat. I mean, I am aware what site we're on but these people literally added hotbar combat, on purpose, into a game that wasn't a MMO. 

If this isn't a problem for you, great. If hotbar combat is one of the things you've grown sick of in MMOs over the years, give it a pass for now.

Both Dragon Age Origins and Dragon Age II had that feature. Why DAI would not have it?

Sith Warrior - Story of Hate and Love http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxKrlwXt7Ao
    Imperial Agent - Rise of Cipher Nine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBBj3eJWBvU&feature=youtu.be
    Imperial Agent - Hunt for the Eagle Part 1http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQqjYYU128E

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Do you play any RPGs outside of the MMO variety and TES? Most are some form of hotbar or turnbased combat. SO I find saying that about an RPG quite odd.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

Originally posted by Iselin
    Originally posted by Sovrath

Slight spoiler about where to find one of the dungeons below...

If you haven't found it yet, there is one in the Hinterlands at the S end of the lake opposite from where you first meet Blackwall. The door will be locked and require a key when you first go there but a new quest to find the key will start when you go to the door.

Thanks. I might have found that if it's the red lyrium one. If not I'll take a look.

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Well, Dragonage 1 & 2 both had hotbar combat along with tactical.

I remember Baldur's gate 1 & 2 having a form of hotbar.

Neverwinter Nights had a hotbar.

I believe Deus Ex Human Revolutions had some sort of hotbar.

It's not unheard of.

• KoroshiyaKoroshiya Member UncommonPosts: 265

never liked Dragon Age.  Like Dragon Age Inquisition.  

Does it have bugs?  Yes.

Should you buy it?  If you are one of those dudes/chicks that always hates the new "Version" of itself because the "original" is always better, then no.  If you can't handle the possibility of a few bugs that MAY crop up until a patch hits, then no.  If you don't like MMO questing, movement, combat, then no you problabley won't like this either.  It doesn't fully feel like an mmo in terms of mechanics, but its darned close.

That said, I am level 7, been playing a few hours now and I still log in and enjoy it for a an hour or so a night.  There are random issues that can crop up, but then again, some other issues people here reported I have no problems with (performance, controls etc) and the little issues that have come up weren't game breaking.

In the end, 99% of the time I say if you are on the fence and its an EA product say no.  But I was bored, it was on sale for 40 bucks and I figured I had nothing to do for a couple weeks so I bought it, not displeased I did at all.  Not super excited, but then again I have never been a dragon age fan so the excitement wasn't there to being with.  Overall I am good with the purchase.

“The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off , why should I. Light up the darkness” – Bob Marley

• rhan101277rhan101277 Member UncommonPosts: 23

So I'm reading how the PC controls suck ass?  Should I wait for that to get fixed? No mouse look etc.

Fixed dumb grammar

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Originally posted by rhan101277
    So I'm reading how the PC controls such as?  Should I wait for that to get fixed? No mouse look etc.

The PC interface "problems" have been much exaggerated. I have no problem at all playing it but then, I'm not a control freak and I'm OK letting my companions do their thing and only pause when I need to.

Pretty well all complaints about PC controls have to do with using Tactical Combat and the interface for that is definitely awkward and the view is too tight... but I've used that maybe for 15 minutes out of nearly 100 hours played and only to do a pressure plate + torches puzzle.

It took me a long time to figure out that in the character panel when you go into the Tactics sub-menu, you can tell each companion how often to use certain abilities: the choices are disabled, enabled and preferred. Using this, for example you can tell your mage companion to prefer using the barrier and rez spells making him a defensive specialist - especially if you combine that with the Spirit abilities that make barriers much better.

Once I figured that out I felt no need to use the tactical combat interface.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• d_20d_20 Member RarePosts: 1,878
    Originally posted by Iselin
    Originally posted by rhan101277
    So I'm reading how the PC controls such as?  Should I wait for that to get fixed? No mouse look etc.

The PC interface "problems" have been much exaggerated. I have no problem at all playing it but then, I'm not a control freak and I'm OK letting my companions do their thing and only pause when I need to.

Pretty well all complaints about PC controls have to do with using Tactical Combat and the interface for that is definitely awkward and the view is too tight... but I've used that maybe for 15 minutes out of nearly 100 hours played and only to do a pressure plate + torches puzzle.

It took me a long time to figure out that in the character panel when you go into the Tactics sub-menu, you can tell each companion how often to use certain abilities: the choices are disabled, enabled and preferred. Using this, for example you can tell your mage companion to prefer using the barrier and rez spells making him a defensive specialist - especially if you combine that with the Spirit abilities that make barriers much better.

Once I figured that out I felt no need to use the tactical combat interface.

This was a question I had, as well. I watched the Angry Joe review and he gave the game a 9/10 for consoles and 8/10 for PC due to controls. I know a lot of people here don't like Angry Joe, but underneath his shtick, I find he usually gives a good review.

I was just wondering if I should get a controller for my pc or if the keyboard and mouse will be okay for this game.

Thanks for all the great posts in this thread. What I can tell for sure is that, even with a couple of negative reviews, that most people are very enthusiastic about this game. That's what I was looking for. I've grown a bit wary of pro-reviews being a bit inflated, but if most people on this website are positive about a game, I will take that as a good sign.

Thanks again.

• ubermutubermut Member UncommonPosts: 272

you definitely don't need a controller but I'm sure it plays great with one.  The keyboard and mouse works great, the way the character moves takes some getting used to.  The character has a kind of intertia so you can't flip around on a dime or anything.  one thing that helped me as a tank for blocking, is learning how to lock on to enemies by hitting tab (at least in multiplayer).  I've hardly touched the single player.  Just been playing multiplayer doing dungeons which I find very fun.  Takes some good teamwork on the harder difficulties and it's fun playing a tank trying to hold aggro and block swings.