Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dead/Old MMO's as stand alone

today i started playing GW2 again and it made me think of the first GW

i enjoyed it alot for alot of hours but not alot of people play it anymore, this got me thinking

wouldn't it be cool if old or dead MMO's could/would be released as a standalone when the developer decides to kill it

what if a game like Tabula Rasa was released as a standalone version before it went down, th fans could keep on playing a game they love.

Obviously MMO's are huge and have alot of data but modern games like SHadow of Mordor are (according to the online specs) 40GB on disk, and this game is super high resolution, way higher than any MMO' especially he old ones

Maybe there are some programmers / computer techs / MMO developers among you who could say how much data an MMO would actually be and if it would be possible to create a stand alone version of it

I don't know about you people, but i would love it it this was possible, in 20 years you could play that one MMO that you loved that went offline, that would be awesome IMO

let me know what you think

Comments

• Yes, I would like to. But you should know that Guild Wars is not even close to being dead right now. I'm still keeping it on my pc and actually this game still got a very healthy population.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Personally i don't see a value in reviving old games as standalones. There are plenty of new fun (to me) games to play.
  • Digital-JoeDigital-Joe Member Posts: 3

@nepheth

i know Guild Wars isn't dead yet i just played alittle bit today (nostalgic mood) but it's not going to be online forever. just look at the example of Tabula Rasa.

@nariusseldon

my point is that  i would love to still be able to go back to the world i spent so much time in

maybe i'm just stuck in the past a little bit, i know there are good MMO's out there now, i'm playing GW2 atm

• AnirethAnireth Member UncommonPosts: 940

The technical side is no real problem. Depending on how it's set up, it might be a matter of minutes to release a stand-alone version. Thats the best case so to say, not the usual, but still, the technical side is not the problem.

There are non-official WoW and Diablo III servers, so i'd guess unless Blizzard is extremely careless, there should be such servers for other popular MMOs, too. So yeah, the technical side is basically already done.

The bigger issue is: Why should a company do so? They certainly won't make money - unles they sell it, which would probably be worse in the eyes of the average gamer than simply not doing anything with it once the server are shut down -, and you might be less likely to play any of their new games, given that you are already occupied.

And then theres the whole legal issue. As they own everything, they obviously can do with it what they want, that includes giving it away. But they have to be sure that they have their back covered. Share holders, IP/copyright issues (if you do not protect your IP/trademark etc., you might actually lose the rights to it).

Giving it away may also make you like them and lead you to pre-order their next 10 games, but as they can't be sure of that...

It might also create expectations or even make people believe they are entitled. If they give release one game as stand-alone, why not the other. Again, the backlash might be bigger when they do not give away a game after having done so in the past compared to simply never doing it in the first case.

I was disappointed when they shut down Tabula Rasa, i would love to play that with a bunch of my friends, maybe some other old MMOs, too. But from the perspective of the developers/publishers etc., it's not as simple as we as games might see it.

I'll wait to the day's end when the moon is high
    And then I'll rise with the tide with a lust for life, I'll
    Amass an army, and we'll harness a horde
    And then we'll limp across the land until we stand at the shore

• BrianshoBriansho Member UncommonPosts: 3,586
    I'd like to see the Matrix Offline.

Don't be terrorized! You're more likely to die of a car accident, drowning, fire, or murder! More people die every year from prescription drugs than terrorism LOL!

• iixviiiixiixviiiix Member RarePosts: 2,256

That's what i ready want and part of why i don't like "online gaming".

I own disk and i can play it what ever i want , maybe back to it after years . But when "online" game close , there are no way to go back.

The release stand alone MMO game that allow mod and private server set up may change MMO genre like how iphone change the mobile market .

I hope the day we see that will come soon.

As for the "old game" stand alone version "value" post lol ,

who care it old , as long as it can be sell , do it .

But the problem is the developer don't want to sell they MMO cheap as stand alone version .

Like how NCsoft sell Tabula Rasa  to other developer to get more money .

Or maybe they worry that "stand alone" version will put they on shame cause they ruin good game .

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by Digital-Joe

@nariusseldon

my point is that  i would love to still be able to go back to the world i spent so much time in

maybe i'm just stuck in the past a little bit, i know there are good MMO's out there now, i'm playing GW2 atm

Yes. And i would like to spend my time in new games, as opposed to waste it in old, dated ones. But everyone's preference can be different.

• sunandshadowsunandshadow Member RarePosts: 1,985
    There are definitely old MMOs I'd pay (maybe $50) to get all the stuff I needed to run a private server, especially if there was a user-friendly IDE allowing the contents to be customized in various ways.
    I want to help design and develop a PvE-focused, solo-friendly, sandpark MMO which combines crafting, monster hunting, and story.  So PM me if you are starting one.
  • AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

I voted "No" basically because there is only 1 MMO I'd like to see as a stand alone: City of Heroes. All other old MMOs that I have enjoyed was more due to the other players than the actual gameplay.

I could not solo very far in EQ. Vanilla WoW may interesting as a solo experience. Maybe trying out UO as a solo experience would at least give me a taste of it, having missed it long ago.

Generally speaking, though, MMOs are fun (for me) because of the other players.

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR