Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Multiplayer is pretty bad

IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719

So I finally decided to check it out and have now played quite a few hours and unlocked several of the locked classes and although it does have some fun in there somewhere, the whole thing feels unfinished, clunky and, worst of all, designed to squeeze extra $ from you in the traditional (seen in their sports games too) EA way of letting you buy random chests with multiplayer gold of cash store currency you buy for real money.

Where to start?

There are only 3 scenarios which really only change the scenery and have you do a series of 5 tasks which are always the same 5 done in the same order. So really, only one scenario with three difficulty levels.

The scenarios themselves are very unbalanced with 4 of those encounters being ridiculously easy and the 5th one nearly impossible just so they can say, I suppose, it isn't totally a cakewalk.

The matchmaking has no opportunity to specify that you're looking for a warrior, rogue or mage archetype, which wouldn't be a big deal since any 4 will handle the combat (except for the last part) just fine, except they make it a big deal by having locked areas with chests that can only be entered if you have the specific required archetype in the party to unlock, bash or dispell the doorway.

The drop rate for gold, armor, weapons, etc. is ridiculously low and obviously done so on purpose to "encourage" you to spend $ in their cash shop.

Its such a jarring experience compared to the single player game that it's best avoided. It's almost like Bioware designed the single player game and did an awesome job with it and then the EA suits came along and designed some clunky mess to try to extract extra cash from the kids.

Rated F for WTF?

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
― CD PROJEKT RED

Comments

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,101
    Damn I just bought the game right like 5 minutes ago. After waiting for days I finally found a place that was selling it for about 40 Euros and I am buying it for the single player but also the multiplayer experience since I love grouping and I read you thread and go /sigh well guess I am will stick to the single player part.
    Chamber of Chains
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Originally posted by cheyane
    Damn I just bought the game right like 5 minutes ago. After waiting for days I finally found a place that was selling it for about 40 Euros and I am buying it for the single player but also the multiplayer experience since I love grouping and I read you thread and go /sigh well guess I am will stick to the single player part.

Well it's so bad that it's bound to be improved... if that makes sense :)

The SP game though is outstanding. Worth the price of admission.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• angerbeaverangerbeaver Member UncommonPosts: 1,259

Multi-player has some quirks that are big turn off for me, but other than that it is fun (keep in mind my first character is only level 11 so maybe...8 runs?).

1) I crash a lot in MP. A lot!

2) One run my skills never appeared on my hotbar leaving me with just auto-attack the whole run (which we ended up losing with the boss down to a mere couple hits).

3) Sound is always open Mic. No push to talk or sound options.

• SlyLoKSlyLoK Member RarePosts: 2,698

It is barebones for sure.

It takes a few runs to get enough gold to buy a large chest for 1250g I think it is ( I get about 600-650 gold for a complete run on Routine difficulty ). The gear you get from the chest is random so you will be salvaging a lot but you need those materials to unlock the other classes anyway.

I am not sure how they can make it any better. The current setup doesnt leave much room for significant improvement. They need to allow enemies to drop loot though.

• TatercakeTatercake Member UncommonPosts: 286

well if they were smart but then it is EA they would add a arena where we could duel and have pvp battles but for some stupid reason they are against that type of game play 

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Originally posted by SlyLoK

It takes a few runs to get enough gold to buy a large chest for 1250g I think it is ( I get about 600-650 gold for a complete run on Routine difficulty ). The gear you get from the chest is random so you will be salvaging a lot but you need those materials to unlock the other classes anyway.

I am not sure how they can make it any better. The current setup doesnt leave much room for significant improvement. They need to allow enemies to drop loot though.

Before I knew what MP was all about, I thought it would be similar to the SP game with large areas to explore. Of course it couldn't be exactly like the SP because that is designed around one hero. But going into a map you have to explore and a lot of different encounters there... with mobs that drop loot... that'd be much more fun.

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• SlyLoKSlyLoK Member RarePosts: 2,698
    Originally posted by Iselin
    Originally posted by SlyLoK

Before I knew what MP was all about, I thought it would be similar to the SP game with large areas to explore. Of course it couldn't be exactly like the SP because that is designed around one hero. But going into a map you have to explore and a lot of different encounters there... with mobs that drop loot... that'd be much more fun.

Yes but do you think they would rework the multiplayer that much? I dont. My comment was about its current setup and other than enemies dropping loot really cant be improved.

If they were to do that then I would like to see the SP maps reused and allow more then 4 people in a single map with respawns and enemies that need 10+ people to take down. 

They dropped the ball on the MP. No question.

• YashaXYashaX Member EpicPosts: 3,098
    Its a reasonable framework, basically just dungeon runs from an mmo with some character progression and crafting, but it needs to be fleshed out with more dungeons/instances. I don't mind the monetization, its very tame compared to something like AA.