Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] General: Be Thankful for What We Have

BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565

Hey folks. This is going to be a quick column today. I know not all of our readers are from the US, but the majority of the staff is, so we’ll be busy stuffing ourselves full of spirits and merrymaking with families… and playing games before we go comatose on tryptophan. But before we do that, let’s take a moment to be thankful for you, and for the games we love.

Read on for the rest of Bill Murphy's Be Thankful for What We Have.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

Comments

• thunderclesthundercles Member UncommonPosts: 510

Happy thanksgiving! I'm Thankful for this website. Even if there's some ridiculousness sometimes (which I contribute to) it's still my go to site for news and community feedback.

• maybebakedmaybebaked Member UncommonPosts: 305

Good article Bill. Being Canadian, we celebrated Thanksgiving last month. But I am thankful for this site especially. I have been playing mmorpgs since about 2002 and have always loved the genre. Despite a lot of negativity that comes out of the forums, its a great place to discuss this amazing genre with like-minded individuals.

Be thankful for the games we have. As much as people like to trash games, think about the amount of time it took to create these games. Literally thousands of hours and years of work just so we can be entertained. I think we can all agree that mmorpgs are some of the biggest games with the most content, and unlike a lot of single player games, the devs continue to work on them for years and even decades. 

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] CommonPosts: 0
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • IkedaIkeda Member RarePosts: 2,751

Have a Happy Thanksgiving Bill and Everyone.  We fight like family but we all care about the genre.  We may have different views but we all came to this genre for fairly similar reasons.

Now, for my second most favorite part of the year.. trying to find MMO credits, expansions, and upgrades for 50% off :)

• RazeeksterRazeekster Member UncommonPosts: 2,591
    Great article from one of my favorite MMORPG.com contributors! I got into MMORPGs for the amazing worlds and the wonderful social experiences, and have made many friends along the way and hope to make more. A Happy Thanksgiving to everyone (a holiday I much prefer to the bloated, corporate monstrosity that Christmas has turned into)!

Smile

• parpinparpin Member UncommonPosts: 220

i am thankful too. this is only website i check for mmo news and reviews.

and I AM GLAD TO BE GAMER AT THIS TIME AND AGE THIS GOOD TIME TO BE GAMER.

thank you  Bill Murphy and mmorpg staff .

• Sevenstar61Sevenstar61 Member UncommonPosts: 1,686

Happy Thanksgiving for Everyone especially MMORPG Team. You guys rock!!!!!

Also special thanks to BioWare for Dragon Age Inquisition which glued me to my computer chair for  70 hours or so with no end to see yet /grin. Love you Devs!!!!!

Sith Warrior - Story of Hate and Love http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxKrlwXt7Ao
    Imperial Agent - Rise of Cipher Nine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBBj3eJWBvU&feature=youtu.be
    Imperial Agent - Hunt for the Eagle Part 1http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQqjYYU128E

• maxlancemaxlance Member UncommonPosts: 35

Seasons Greetings!

Can't endorse your message enough! In the game world I'm uber grateful just for -- well, having free games, and it bewilders me how one can gripe of that and nit-pick them ad nuseum unless the entitlement mentality runs deep. I thank the programmers and writers and marketers of these free games and wish them to know their long hard efforts creating software of complexities rivaling those for space probes is much appreciated!

I hope you and yours enjoy the coming season and I remember all of you every time I sit to play!

Max

• grimgryphongrimgryphon Member CommonPosts: 682

I am thankful as well.

As you probably noticed, I am very, very critical of this site. ;-) However, I believe you are necessary and important to the genre, which is why I criticize because I think you can do so much better.

Here's to a year of growth!

Optional PvP = No PvP
  • laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591

Four day weekend.... I'm jealous image

Happy Thanks Giving

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• RaquisRaquis Member RarePosts: 1,029

I don't celebrate thanks giving, I am not American.

I am thankfull for the games that I can play but very disappointed that still games are pushed out before they are finished like assassins creed unity.

very view games are really good,i just hope next year will be better.

make more souls games!

• KanethKaneth Member RarePosts: 2,286

Thanks Bill the screenshot of AC2 made me so homesick. I tried going back when AC2 first relaunched and it was hard going back, it can still be a fun game for what it's worth.

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone!

• mrneurosismrneurosis Member UncommonPosts: 314

I thank GOD everyday for everything i have. i guess it is an age thing? older you get the more you see things clearly.

Internet has played a big role in making me humble..i don't think i would be so thankful if didn't know the kind of suffering people endure around the world. So many innocent lives being lost daily, people losing everything to war and natural disasters... and all i got to worry about is what game to play in evening.

• alyndalealyndale Member UncommonPosts: 936

Thanks Bill!

I'm thankful for ALL my friends I have made in the 10 and half years I have taken this wacky mmo journey. I am also thankful for forums from which we may openly and civilly discuss our passion, our pastime together.

Cheers and Happy US Thanksgiving to one and all, may a favorable wind blow in favorable fashion for one and ALL this holiday season!

Alyn

All I want is the truth
    Just gimme some truth
    John Lennon

• RolanStormRolanStorm Member UncommonPosts: 198

Happy Thanksgiving. :)

I am thankful for living in such an interesting time, especially MMORPG-wise.

• sumdumguy1sumdumguy1 Member RarePosts: 1,373
    Happy Thanksgiving!!  I am thankful for so many blessings I have in my life.  from a gaming perspective, there are many gaming options out there and lots and lots of MMO's to choose from so most of us can find something we like to play.
  • whisperwyndwhisperwynd Member UncommonPosts: 1,668

Happy Thanksgiving MMORPG.com.

• AcidonAcidon Member UncommonPosts: 796

Happy Thanksgiving!

Like Ikeda said, we fight like a proper family, but here we all are.  I don't post often, especially lately, but I'm often browsing the forums reading and soaking it in.

I'm thankful for the sheer magnitude of our choices.  Let's face it, we are grossly over-saturated with game choices and we need to keep that in perspective compared to 15+ years ago. 

Anyway, have a great day everyone!  I hope that most of you are with family for the day.

• CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130

I'm thankful I don't have to shop during Black Friday in America. We do some of that stuff in Canada, but it doesn't escalate to the same level. About as bad as it gets is masses of people bumping into each other an apologizing.

Speaking of Black Friday, does anyone else find it odd that we celebrate huge corporations being massively profitable by giving them more money? Wouldn't that be like,

"Man! I ate so much turkey I just threw up!"

"You know what that means? More turkey for you, sir!" 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• VelqorVelqor Member Posts: 33
    I'll be celebrating Sinterklaas soon as I'm from the Netherlands, but nontheless good thanksgiving for those who celebrate it. 
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,003

Happy Thanksgiving. 

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
    [dupe post]

Optional PvP = No PvP
    Originally posted by CrazKanuk

I'm thankful I don't have to shop during Black Friday in America.

Neither do Americans. We have Amazon.com.

Optional PvP = No PvP
  • TokkenTokken Member EpicPosts: 3,549
    I'm thankful for all the different MMO's that are on the market and I get to play.

My Black Friday shopping is already done!

Proud MMORPG.com member since March 2004!  Make PvE GREAT Again!

• MostWiseMostWise Member Posts: 10

Has there ever been a seasonal event in a game called "Tanksgiving"? There are many ways this could be played out...