Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Building a character

Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

Sometimes i long back for the old days where you carefully build a character and where stuck with it..no seccond spec, or swapping specs ...  Just a single carefully build character...

it all changed, and to be honest, getting stuck with something that wasnt perfect was a dumber too....  But on the ither side of things, having a single spec only made the character feel much more u ique and it made you feel attached to your character..

i would love to see a good MMO with only a single character build/ toon.... And then a system where every change you wanted to make like switching out skills or abillities would make you hunt XP again...  This way nothing comes for free, but nothing is set in stone either...   ( would be awesome if you combine this with a skilltree system instead of a class system)

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

Comments

• PepeqPepeq Member UncommonPosts: 1,977
    That already exists.  Just no one is playing that game anymore.
  • Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    Originally posted by Pepeq
    That already exists.  Just no one is playing that game anymore.

Did i miss something?

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081

Like the poster above,that still exist ............You just have to know the secret in finding them....Can't say any more about that subject here.  Mainstream's all suck !

Originally posted by delete5230

Like the poster above,that still exist ............You just have to know the secret in finding them....Can't say any more about that subject here.  Mainstream's all suck !

Basically i am a mainstream guy....  I only play games with great graphics, top annimations and a gorgeous world...  And lots of stories to be told.....

in general all the smaller mmos have dissapointed me, they have one or two eyecatcher features, but mostly the resy is medicore

• mmorpglover1mmorpglover1 Member Posts: 49
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

Sometimes i long back for the old days where you carefully build a character and where stuck with it..no seccond spec, or swapping specs ...  Just a single carefully build character...

it all changed, and to be honest, getting stuck with something that wasnt perfect was a dumber too....  But on the ither side of things, having a single spec only made the character feel much more u ique and it made you feel attached to your character..

i would love to see a good MMO with only a single character build/ toon.... And then a system where every change you wanted to make like switching out skills or abillities would make you hunt XP again...  This way nothing comes for free, but nothing is set in stone either...   ( would be awesome if you combine this with a skilltree system instead of a class system)

Sounds like a good idea to me but I think that's why companies like prepare to die are becoming the new blizzard and bioware with their games being the opposite of casual.

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Sometimes i long back for the old days where you carefully build a character and where stuck with it..no seccond spec, or swapping specs ...  Just a single carefully build character...it all changed, and to be honest, getting stuck with something that wasnt perfect was a dumber too....  But on the ither side of things, having a single spec only made the character feel much more u ique and it made you feel attached to your character.. i would love to see a good MMO with only a single character build/ toon.... And then a system where every change you wanted to make like switching out skills or abillities would make you hunt XP again...  This way nothing comes for free, but nothing is set in stone either...   ( would be awesome if you combine this with a skilltree system instead of a class system)

What your basically asking is like a permadeth / reroll but keeping your character looks and gear?

Man, i cant think of a single game on the market these days that does that.
    Best i can say is something like fallen earth that you can assign skills and then later you can get a refund but nothing comes to mind where you actually lose the progression.

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• ForgrimmForgrimm Member EpicPosts: 3,059
    Originally posted by Nitth

What your basically asking is like a permadeth / reroll but keeping your character looks and gear?

Best i can say is something like fallen earth that you can assign skills and then later you can get a refund but nothing comes to mind where you actually lose the progression.

DDO's reincarnation system would be the closest thing.

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    Originally posted by delete5230

Basically i am a mainstream guy....  I only play games with great graphics, top annimations and a gorgeous world...  And lots of stories to be told.....

in general all the smaller mmos have dissapointed me, they have one or two eyecatcher features, but mostly the resy is medicore

Then you go what you want with the great graphics.  You have a choice between graphics and game play but mainstreamers demand great graphics.  I prefer game play. 

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• SalvadorbardSalvadorbard Member UncommonPosts: 100
    Character creation for me is a long process. Trial and error creating and recreating. In Skyrim this has resulted in me never finishing most of the questlines and in WoW it meant a couple of years before ever hitting endgame level. Never regretted it though.
    Originally posted by Forgrimm

No not really...  Imagine you want to replace 1 of your 20 skills... That would mean you need to regain 5% of your total XP...  Ofcourse this is a very simple example...

Here a little example of how it could play in an MMO :

imagine a skilltree system, where at max level everyone has 500 points, that you can spend anywhere on your trees.....with atleast 20 to 40 skilltrees available at release... And a max of 100 points to spend in them....   

Now imagine you go around the world collecting skills, every skill you find requires certain skillvalues to use ( which means you can not use most of the skills you find).  So the max level player finds this awesome skill by defeating a mob that requires you to have 70 fire skill and 30 poison skill, he decides that instead of  having 100 fire skill, he wants to have 70 fire and 30 poison... He now can choose, to loose 30 fire, while slowly replacing it with poison, your fire skillevel starts dropping, while at the same time the poisonbar starts rising..

this process would take you 30/500th or 6% of your total XP.... Rinse and repeat for every character change you want... This way, just like in a real world your character could slowly change...  Imagine the warrior that starts training magic and becomes a mage, but living inside the library slowly makes him loose most of his sword skills.

• RydesonRydeson Member UncommonPosts: 3,852
    Originally posted by Forgrimm

No not really...  Imagine you want to replace 1 of your 20 skills... That would mean you need to regain 5% of your total XP...  Ofcourse this is a very simple example...

Here a little example of how it could play in an MMO :

imagine a skilltree system, where at max level everyone has 500 points, that you can spend anywhere on your trees.....with atleast 20 to 40 skilltrees available at release... And a max of 100 points to spend in them....   

Now imagine you go around the world collecting skills, every skill you find requires certain skillvalues to use ( which means you can not use most of the skills you find).  So the max level player finds this awesome skill by defeating a mob that requires you to have 70 fire skill and 30 poison skill, he decides that instead of  having 100 fire skill, he wants to have 70 fire and 30 poison... He now can choose, to loose 30 fire, while slowly replacing it with poison, your fire skillevel starts dropping, while at the same time the poisonbar starts rising..

this process would take you 30/500th or 6% of your total XP.... Rinse and repeat for every character change you want... This way, just like in a real world your character could slowly change...  Imagine the warrior that starts training magic and becomes a mage, but living inside the library slowly makes him loose most of his sword skills.

I support this and have suggest similar as well..  If a magic user spends all his time increasing his "evocation" skill that allows him to cast nasty fireballs, he does so ignoring other branches of magic like divination, conjuration, abjuration, etc etc.. I love the idea that people can customize their character the way they want, and if that character evolves over time, it should happen.. Same with warriors that spend all their time battling with a two handed sword, naturally has little skill with a shield..

SWG was similar to this, and I think it can be increased even more..  If you use a spread sheet correctly, it can be laid out in a way that one can not build a min/max character for ALL occasions :)  In addition to skills and abilities, I'm also in favor of seeing players having the effect on their permanent character stats as well..  Maybe instead of spending 30 skill points in Fire as exampled above, he can actually trade in 20? points to "permanently" raise his health bar.. or his mana bar? or other physical stats.. 

• whisperwyndwhisperwynd Member UncommonPosts: 1,668
    Originally posted by Rydeson

I support this and have suggest similar as well..  If a magic user spends all his time increasing his "evocation" skill that allows him to cast nasty fireballs, he does so ignoring other branches of magic like divination, conjuration, abjuration, etc etc.. I love the idea that people can customize their character the way they want, and if that character evolves over time, it should happen.. Same with warriors that spend all their time battling with a two handed sword, naturally has little skill with a shield..

SWG was similar to this, and I think it can be increased even more..  If you use a spread sheet correctly, it can be laid out in a way that one can not build a min/max character for ALL occasions :)  In addition to skills and abilities, I'm also in favor of seeing players having the effect on their permanent character stats as well..  Maybe instead of spending 30 skill points in Fire as exampled above, he can actually trade in 20? points to "permanently" raise his health bar.. or his mana bar? or other physical stats.. 

Even further, if a mage or warrior specializes in one area, be it fire or two-handers. Should they change to a different specialization like ice (mage) or 1h + shield(warrior), then the previous specialization should diminish making them unable to master both (or all) simultaneously.

• RydesonRydeson Member UncommonPosts: 3,852
    Originally posted by whisperwynd
    Originally posted by Rydeson

Even further, if a mage or warrior specializes in one area, be it fire or two-handers. Should they change to a different specialization like ice (mage) or 1h + shield(warrior), then the previous specialization should diminish making them unable to master both (or all) simultaneously.

I have suggested before that skills in areas unused should diminish over time.. Such as your 2 handed sword skill that was 100 is great.. but then that warrior finds a new 1 handed mace he likes moreso, and as that warrior uses that mace and shield more and more, his 2 handed sword skills should start to slide.. I'm OK with a skill system set to allow a warrior to master 2 areas maybe, but he can only be a grandmaster in 1.. I would like to see numerous weapon specialties..  (1H sword, 1H axe, 1H blunt, 1H staff, 2H sword, 2H axe, 2H blunt, 2H staff, polearm, bow, javelin & daggers) Does that make 12 areas.. lol

• AdamantineAdamantine Member RarePosts: 5,085

First of all, only one player character in a MMO is a dumb idea. There is no reason why you would want to exclude altist players (like for example me) from the very get go, for no apparent reason at all. Just dont create a second character if you dont want to.

And second, isnt that what games do ? They dont always use XP for that, for example in WoW I think they use game money, and, well, you cant change classes at all, usually. Whats the point of that, anyway ? You'll have to reset the class level to 1 anyway, so you might as well roll a new character.

Also, fortunately, MMOs in general, especially matured MMOs, tend to not have dud classes, or few of them. Thus reclassing shouldnt be necessary in the first place, unless you actually want to play that other class.