Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Steam vs Origins - worth another look?

2»

Comments

• tinoberserktinoberserk Member UncommonPosts: 73
    I dont agree with the steam censorship that kangaroomouse is talking about. Ive seen quite a few games with a giant list of bad reviews on steam. Luckily theres also the indication of how much time a reviewer spent playing ghat game. That kindof weeds out the silly reviews.
  • SwaneaSwanea Member UncommonPosts: 2,401

I have no problem giving Origin a chance. But how many games outside of the EA owned do they sell? Oh.  I like some EA games. DA/ME/SW, etc.

But I dont use it enough to have it at startup.  Nor does it offer fun (and costly) badges/backgrounds/games/etc.

And finally, as was posted in the DAI thread...Disabling Origin overlay actually increased fps for a number of users. lol...That's rough.

• grimgryphongrimgryphon Member CommonPosts: 682
    Originally posted by Rattenmann

You Sir should stop trolling this topic.

If you hate EA, just say it. But stop the false informations.

• 1. There are hundreds of non EA games in there.
    • 2. There is the same Offline mode implemented that steam also has.

Do your homework before you open your mouth.

They have 428 games listed in their catalog, searching under publisher. 386 are EA as publisher, 42 are not.

They have 180 games listed in their catalog, searching under developer. 113 are EA, 67 are not. 248 seem to be missing from this list...take that for what it's worth.

See, counting was just as easy as pulling a statement out of your backside, like you did.

Hundreds.... /facepalm

Optional PvP = No PvP
  • Ket_VilianoKet_Viliano Member UncommonPosts: 271
    Originally posted by CrazKanuk

Valve is nothing more than the current "Golden Boy" of technology. Make no mistake, though, if you think that they're upholding the greater good in some way, you're an idiot. Valve is a privately held company with the majority (50%) shareholder (Gabe Newell) steering the boat. EA is a public company of which Origin is just a small division. It's run by an employee who can be fired at any given moment. Why is this good? One word, ACCOUNTABILITY!!! 

I think that many people get caught up in the glitz and glamour that companies like Valve put out there. It's that Rock Star persona. Kinda like Google. The problem is that while you're gazing into their eyes, falling so deeply in love that you'd do anything for them, they're simply tightening their grip on your balls until, *pluck*, like grapes from the vine. 

Both companies suck, so to speak.

Want to get on Steam? It will cost you *redacted*% of your gross sales. That's right, *redacted*%. I can't tell you how much *redacted*% is, because no one can, you have to sign a contract that requires you to swear to secrecy as toward how much % you pay.

Google Play is 30%, Apple App Store is 30%, so Valve Steam must be.... *redacted*. Bastards!

Noooo not my grapes!

As for Google, I am going to keep my grapes, CyanogenMod here I come!

• JJ82JJ82 Member UncommonPosts: 1,258

What about others? Have you checked out Origins since their first release? The hatetrain was strong and huge back then. How abaout now? Am i the only one?

Have not, will not.

EA hasn't released a single game in the last few years I have been remotely interested in other than Inquisition and I held off getting it because Bioware has dropped in quality over the last 4 years and going by what I have heard it was a good move on my part. The game is crap on the PC, its a console RPG and the bad combat, weak classes, crap UI and bland story shows.

Steam isn't just some platform to buy games or launch games from, its a community that spans the game industry. Companies like EA are trying to split that up for the sake of advertising dollars, same with Trion and PWE. Screw them, they make crap games anyway.

"People who tell you you’re awesome are useless. No, dangerous.

They are worse than useless because you want to believe them. They will defend you against critiques that are valid. They will seduce you into believing you are done learning, or into thinking that your work is better than it actually is." ~Raph Koster
    http://www.raphkoster.com/2013/10/14/on-getting-criticism/

• mmorpglover1mmorpglover1 Member Posts: 49
    Originally posted by Swanea

I have no problem giving Origin a chance. But how many games outside of the EA owned do they sell? Oh.  I like some EA games. DA/ME/SW, etc.

But I dont use it enough to have it at startup.  Nor does it offer fun (and costly) badges/backgrounds/games/etc.

And finally, as was posted in the DAI thread...Disabling Origin overlay actually increased fps for a number of users. lol...That's rough.

To answer your question.

Origin only sells ea games and ubisoft games.

I was previously mistaken in assuming it only sold ea games and now assume that some ubisoft games are on there as ea is a significant shareholder in in ubisoft.

However, after having a good look, I only see 2 ubisoft games on there which are far cry and watchdogs.

Originally posted by JJ82

What about others? Have you checked out Origins since their first release? The hatetrain was strong and huge back then. How abaout now? Am i the only one?

Have not, will not.

EA hasn't released a single game in the last few years I have been remotely interested in other than Inquisition and I held off getting it because Bioware has dropped in quality over the last 4 years and going by what I have heard it was a good move on my part. The game is crap on the PC, its a console RPG and the bad combat, weak classes, crap UI and bland story shows.

Steam isn't just some platform to buy games or launch games from, its a community that spans the game industry. Companies like EA are trying to split that up for the sake of advertising dollars, same with Trion and PWE. Screw them, they make crap games anyway.

I agree with this guy btw.

I regularly use steam to manage my clan forums which is very handy. The other things like being able to stream steam and your games off your pc onto internet connected devices will be more useful to me in the future for example when I buy a smart tv because then I will be able to play my steam games on m living room tv like a console without needing to move my pc.

• sumdumguy1sumdumguy1 Member RarePosts: 1,373
    Originally posted by DMKano

There is nothing more fickle than a gamer.

This is such BS, but its totally true.  I can't believe anyone could feel that way, yet I do feel that way exactly.  You comment is totally unfair to gamers yet its incredibly accurate.  Now I am off to play a game that I praise now and I am going to rip on this site on  a later date.

• Sevenstar61Sevenstar61 Member UncommonPosts: 1,686

The Secret World is $7.49 on Origin today. great deal for a great B2P MMO. The Witcher 2 is for $4.99. 

Edit.

Talking about customer service.  I made a mistake today purchasing something, I filled help request with indication to call me back and I got phone call in 15 seconds from hitting send button.  On Thanksgiving Day. And the person was definitely not support from India.. actually guessing from background noises I think they were having a lil party there /grin.

Wow, just Wow....

On other note... maybe it was my luck but these guys from customer service I talked to could actually work on voiceover to EA games LOL. Perfect voices and diction....

Sith Warrior - Story of Hate and Love http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxKrlwXt7Ao
    Imperial Agent - Rise of Cipher Nine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBBj3eJWBvU&feature=youtu.be
    Imperial Agent - Hunt for the Eagle Part 1http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQqjYYU128E

To be fair, I did say that the 1 day a year that origin has decent prices is black Friday.

Its the only day I ever use origin and this year, Im only using it to pick up dragon age 2, not 3 cuz origin sells 3 for 60 pounds and I can get it for less than 30 off g2a.com.

All other games, I would rather get on steam.