Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

No hype? Why?

wormedwormed Member UncommonPosts: 472

As someone who tried ESO (it sucked), Wildstar (it sucked) and ArcheAge (it's ok), I stumbled upon this and the recent gameplay video and it looks very cool. As far as I know, it also has open world PvP which is a must for me. Apparently, this game won a whole bunch of awards at E3 but nobody is talking about it.

Anyone got an idea as to why?

Comments

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

Open pvp is a dumb idea,you appeal to a VERY small demographic and imo is not a plausible idea for a ROLE playing game,unless you are role playing Attila da Hun and think nothing matters but to kill everything that moves.

The Allods team has not proven they can make a game with depth but instead make a game that has the depth of a f2p game which is exactly what this game is.I watched the short video and what i saw was a single player fighting some creature by HIMSELF.Why bother making an MMO if you are going to feature single player game play?

Also don't expect the graphics to be like the videos that was the case in ALLODS.

Play to become a god,kind of a cheesy selling point to me and again reinforces the YOU and not the TEAM or group,so ya single player gaming.

The game sounds a lot like they had influences from that NCSOFT game  "AION   "a few years back  "2010" which sounds right considering the time it takes to make a game.

Until they show me something much more it does not interest me.

Here is the video that gives a lot of information SKYFORGE

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• wormedwormed Member UncommonPosts: 472
    Originally posted by Wizardry

Open pvp is a dumb idea,you appeal to a VERY small demographic and imo is not a plausible idea for a ROLE playing game,unless you are role playing Attila da Hun and think nothing matters but to kill everything that moves.

The Allods team has not proven they can make a game with depth but instead make a game that has the depth of a f2p game which is exactly what this game is.I watched the short video and what i saw was a single player fighting some creature by HIMSELF.Why bother making an MMO if you are going to feature single player game play?

Also don't expect the graphics to be like the videos that was the case in ALLODS.

Play to become a god,kind of a cheesy selling point to me and again reinforces the YOU and not the TEAM or group,so ya single player gaming.

The game sounds a lot like they had influences from that NCSOFT game  "AION   "a few years back  "2010" which sounds right considering the time it takes to make a game.

Not that you can't post what you think but that's just it... your opinion. My opinion of your opinion is it's a pretty crappy opinion. Many roleplaying games of old, especially Dungeons and Dragons, had "open world PvP" and is an integral part in a lot of MMORPG storylines. There's generally always some sort of conflict, so having PvP makes sense. You don't like it? Fine, don't be a whiny irritant ruining it for everyone else.

I never played Allods but seriously, do developers have one chance and then they're cast in the almighty den of obscurity forever? I don't know, call me crazy, MAYBE THEY'VE IMPROVED AS DEVELOPERS. I mean, wow, totally impossible though, right?

Graphics don't mean anything to me, nor does the story. Becoming a God is cheesy? Oh well. Aion back when it was released was awesome. Sweet.

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    I dont think this game even had an alpha yet did it? Dont get me wrong, I want to play this game because of the class system honestly, but dont really care about seeing some russian gameplay footage, more interested in seeing alpha/beta coverage pertaining how the game works as a whole.
  • wormedwormed Member UncommonPosts: 472
    Originally posted by Albatroes
    I dont think this game even had an alpha yet did it? Dont get me wrong, I want to play this game because of the class system honestly, but dont really care about seeing some russian gameplay footage, more interested in seeing alpha/beta coverage pertaining how the game works as a whole.

Yup, me too. I'm just curious as to why there isn't anything being said about it. From what I've gathered, it's entering Closed Beta in Russia. There will be a big announcement at Gamescom, apparently, as well.

• ShortyBibleShortyBible Member UncommonPosts: 409

There are many players out here that will not play mmos that force you to group. I have tried those mmos and have  had horrible experiences. Having to play with some basement dweller that verbally abuses you or kick you from a group is not my  cup of tea so I personally favor mmos without force grouping.

In my opinion Allods was and still is one of the most beautiful graphic/eye candy games I have ever played.

It was a pay to win game but saying that the graphics was sub par is totally untrue.

I responded to your post , so I could contradict your opinion. I hate forced grouping and stated a few reasons.

Thanks for bringing this game to my attention.

• PNM_JenningsPNM_Jennings Member UncommonPosts: 1,093
    For me it's just because of Allods. That game is basically synonymous with P2W, and I have no reason to expect anything else from this. I love me some F2P, but nickel and dime cash grabs are nothing that I want anything to do with. 
  • MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    One of my most wanted games. Still looking forward to seeing a video showing some grouping though.
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Looks like a good game.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• Bakkoda24Bakkoda24 Member UncommonPosts: 257
    MMORPG is doing a livestream.
  • VaselVasel Member UncommonPosts: 226
    The game looks decent with some interesting elements and some older out dated elements. What confuses me is the Hype Meter on the main page. Most of the people I have talked to have never heard of this game. I call BS on the hype meter numbers. No way it rivals such power house games and the others in the top 5.
  • LahuzerLahuzer Member UncommonPosts: 782
    Personally Im rly hyped for it and if any1 has a spare betakey they wanna give some random dude on the internet. Do consider me. ;)
  • toastngravytoastngravy Wizard 101 CorrespondentMember UncommonPosts: 80
    Originally posted by Vasel
     I call BS on the hype meter numbers

Well, there's only 64 votes. As opposed to, for example, Everquest's 1k+

So the only people that are voting, myself included, are people that are very interested in the game. So much so to actually take the time to vote.  I know some time ago on the official forums someone posted about their guild helping and voting but I can't recall their numbers.

Either way, it's not so much BS as it is a small number of people that are interested in the game. Not much advertising in the west for the game currently, sadly. I'd expect more closer to it's proper launch.

EDIT: Of course, me pointing that out has resulted in a number of votes that were made just to down vote the game, dropping it's overall rating noticeably but not substantially. As is the nature of this website specifically  I suppose. Nothing that can be done.

• mmorpglover1mmorpglover1 Member Posts: 49

Completely disagree.

Open pvp is not a niche market. Open PvP is a mass market just like PvE is a mass market.

A niche market doesn't appeal to a mass number of players, something like click and play story games.

Also, I have to say, I think skyforge looks excellent. If it weren't for everquest next, skyforge would be top of my list.

Everquest next pulls ahead because of the next gen gameplay on top of the graphics with the change in class system, change in npc ai, change in environment with voxels etc.

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    Originally posted by wormed

As someone who tried ESO (it sucked), Wildstar (it sucked) and ArcheAge (it's ok), I stumbled upon this and the recent gameplay video and it looks very cool. As far as I know, it also has open world PvP which is a must for me. Apparently, this game won a whole bunch of awards at E3 but nobody is talking about it.

We need less hype on games.  E3 awards?  haha, I have never purchased a game because of an award. lol.  Do you work for them?

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• MGPetersonMGPeterson Member UncommonPosts: 46
    Originally posted by wormed

... it also has open world PvP which is a must for me....

That's probably why.

• Varex12Varex12 Member CommonPosts: 357

Because Allods.

• GestankfaustGestankfaust Member UncommonPosts: 1,989
    Originally posted by mmorpglover1

Completely disagree.

Open pvp is not a niche market. Open PvP is a mass market just like PvE is a mass market.

A niche market doesn't appeal to a mass number of players, something like click and play story games.

Also, I have to say, I think skyforge looks excellent. If it weren't for everquest next, skyforge would be top of my list.

Everquest next pulls ahead because of the next gen gameplay on top of the graphics with the change in class system, change in npc ai, change in environment with voxels etc.

If you don't think open PvP is a niche market...then I wouldn't know how to have a real conversation with you. It absolutely is niche...even if it is a large niche. It is nowhere near the casual, PVE crowd.

That being said...I think Skyforge has little to no hype might be due to the fact that we are seeing too many games coming out and not being what they said they would. It looks ok to me, but not enough real info from testers or whatever to make me go "WOW!".

"This may hurt a little, but it's something you'll get used to. Relax....."

• VarthanderVarthander Member UncommonPosts: 466
    Im actually hyped about the game, but there is cero reason to go screaming it on the web. Its not like it will release sooner or else.

• RattenmannRattenmann Member UncommonPosts: 613

Well, it is a FTP game.

Pretty sure almost everyone knows how that ends by now. The first few years we had people claiming FTP was great and all. Nowadays the trend is declining and people miss QUALITY products that don't demand having a credit card near your keyboard at all times.

That is why i am not hyping it, no matter how good it looks. Many games LOOK good. Then either fail to deliver FUN or destroy themselves with cashgrabs. And sometimes both points apply.

MMOs finally replaced social interaction, forced grouping and standing in a line while talking to eachother.

Now we have forced soloing, forced questing and everyone is the hero, without ever having to talk to anyone else. The evolution of multiplayer is here! We won,... right?

• reeereeereeereee Member UncommonPosts: 1,636

Usually games with a bunch of hype in the Western market have a big IP behind them: SWTOR, ESO, gw 2, FFXIV, EQN, even World of Warcraft had either very successful single player or mmo predecessors. 

Also the last game made by this team was very p2w so people are waiting to see the cash shop before committing (I believe it's launching f2p as well, which turns off a good half to a third of the users for this site.)

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

Completely disagree.

But then EQ next is trying to ruin all the goodness by creating a simplistic combat system, with only 8 skills and CD´s on most of them...

If they would only add a combo system like in this game, it would be miles ahead of anything we ever played.. but sadly in this itteration it does not apeal to me

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• zaberfangxzaberfangx Member UncommonPosts: 1,796
    Originally posted by reeereee

Usually games with a bunch of hype in the Western market have a big IP behind them: SWTOR, ESO, gw 2, FFXIV, EQN, even World of Warcraft had either very successful single player or mmo predecessors. 

Also the last game made by this team was very p2w so people are waiting to see the cash shop before committing (I believe it's launching f2p as well, which turns off a good half to a third of the users for this site.)

Allods Online they waited until people got set in then drop all the hard p2w after game came out, not sure they will do it in skyforge but if allods team in the mix they will make sure that may have to spend more to keep up with the big names that spending a ton, but the game people can enjoy if they like if they can find a way to avoid the chap shop.

• Jagwar_FangJagwar_Fang Member UncommonPosts: 264

Completely disagree.

Open world PvP is NOT a mass market for MMOs.  Please tell me a game other than say Eve that was open world PvP and a major success.  They usually flop, AA, Allodss, etc. ring a bell?  It is a major market though.  It's called a FPS.

• d_20d_20 Member RarePosts: 1,878

I didn't really even know about this game till a couple of weeks ago, when a video from one of these sites (either here or Massively) caught my attention.

From what I've heard about the game so far:

+

Nice graphics

Fun looking combat

The look of the UI

-

f2p cash shop

Allod's reputation

open world pvp

So for me, I will wait a couple of months and hear what people are saying about this game, but most likely will give it pass. That doesn't mean I won't *try* it just for the experience, but I'm not coming to it with my wallet open, nor do I have any expectations for it.

• GodlyLightGodlyLight Member UncommonPosts: 6
    Also, if i may add, the cash shop decisions are usually left to the publishers (think GameForge), and Allods Online just so happened to be published even in the West by a Russian Company called Mail.ru. In my opinion, it is one of the worst companies to ever publish a game with. They have also screwed up the Russian ArcheAge because of the same problem- P2W being everywhere.