Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

World of Warcraft still the best game on the planet (imo)

KopogeroKopogero Member UncommonPosts: 1,685

And at the end I have to question myself what use I have with my money if I have nothing to spend them on? Yes, the game is expensive for what it is and we are living in a world where interests are divided and scattered across so many different things, outside of gaming as well and it's one of the reasons why despite having the technology and tools we don't have those fully open, player driven, persistent, virtual worlds where you'll have so many paths to go, choices to make, that such things as lack of content and things to go will be nonexistent.

So, I'm 100% certain and happy with my decision. I'm just fortunate that I found valid reasons why I'll be very happy with my decision (for me it will be even more expensive since I'll be purchasing new headset with working mic, my parrot owned my old one and microphone makes things a lot easier for both PvP and PvE).

I'll come back later on and share my top reasons why spending every $ is worth it on WOW:WoD and as I've said before you can't go wrong buying the game, especially how things have turned out with the rest of the ARPG/MMORPG over the last couple years. At the end also 44% of the community can't be wrong, while 16-17% were still undecided. I doubt any other game out there has such backing, which by the way is just another extra evidence anyone needs to finalize their decision.

Although, being patient and waiting out a week or so post launch was a good idea. There was DDOS'ing and it was resolved. Everything is fine now. The only thing I'll do later on is give my reasons why I'm getting back to the game and why I'll be enjoying it more than everything else I've been playing this year.

Comments

• ForgrimmForgrimm Member EpicPosts: 3,059
    Welcome back.
  • bmw66bmw66 Member UncommonPosts: 141
    I have to agree.  Its the ONLY game I leave and keep coming back to.
  • HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680
    I have to agree with the OP. Played all these new games and they bring nothing new to the table. If anything they bring more grind and less fun. When i quit Wow i really didn't have a good reason for doing it other than the hype of a new game that turned out to be crap. Blizzard seems to be the only mmo company that has a clue on how to make a good game and make it fun and not like a job. 
  • DarLorkarDarLorkar Member UncommonPosts: 1,082

Top tier, absolutely.

Best in world? Naw...WAY too many variables and opinions to make that claim.

But yes, it is top tier, and will remain so for years to come i think. 

But your opinion counts too:P  Anyhow you will have both, those that agree, and those that do not.

Really only thing i do not like is the no flying in the new zones. I do not play it anymore for that reason alone.

And yes, i know a lot do not agree with that (My opinion) but there it is. Small thing to some, but to me it is a no go. I just like the freedom of the flying every where and feel less like playing if i can not fly. To each their own it seems:P

• slickbizzleslickbizzle Member Posts: 464

I've had fun coming back. Everyone loves a prequel. I like seeing how the Black Temple looked back then. 

I've noticed they took ideas from other recent games to enhance the players experience. Smart move.

I'm still not into the garrison thing. That's just my preference.  

This has been the first recent expansion that I haven't skipped the cut-scenes. The story and cut-scenes are great.  Haven't seen the lame "Harrison Jones" thing yet, so that's a plus.  Haven't seen any horrible pun names for zones yet. So that's another plus.

All in all, I'm having fun. Haven't been able to say that about Warcraft for years.

• DrakenZADrakenZA Member UncommonPosts: 7

Valid opinion. But i feel its an opinion that lacks experience. The best games are the ones like Ultima Online or EvE Online with true player interactions. While WoW is fun and all, it is in no way a 'classic' mmorpg. WoW more or less invented this whole idea that every MMO must have raids and instances etc. What is the point of a large scale world with many players if the whole POINT of the game has nothing to do with interacting with that large group of players but is rather based around sitting in a town and queuing for dungeons.

Anyone who has played EVE/Ultima Online as long as they have played WoW will normally not rate WoW as a 'better' game.

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424
    I've played WoW almost since launch day 1 and I've only not had a sub for a total of ~3 months over that time (mainly back between WotLk and Cata).  I never really left, but I've played just about any MMO that has come out since.  I usually end up playing a game on the side sometimes, and it used to be FFXI, then Warhammer and Age of Conan, then Rift, and now ESO.  However, I've always had my WoW to go to.  There just simply isn't anything better.  New MMOs have that "new factor", but that wears off after a month or two.  WoW just never seems to get old.
  • HorusraHorusra Member EpicPosts: 4,411
    Played Eve long enough on 4 accounts to fly and equip carrier and the jumping mining barge (forget the name). That takes a good amount of time to get the skills for those.
  • KaladinKaladin Member Posts: 468
    Originally posted by Kopogero

And at the end I have to question myself what use I have with my money if I have nothing to spend them on? Yes, the game is expensive for what it is and we are living in a world where interests are divided and scattered across so many different things, outside of gaming as well and it's one of the reasons why despite having the technology and tools we don't have those fully open, player driven, persistent, virtual worlds where you'll have so many paths to go, choices to make, that such things as lack of content and things to go will be nonexistent.

So, I'm 100% certain and happy with my decision. I'm just fortunate that I found valid reasons why I'll be very happy with my decision (for me it will be even more expensive since I'll be purchasing new headset with working mic, my parrot owned my old one and microphone makes things a lot easier for both PvP and PvE).

I'll come back later on and share my top reasons why spending every $ is worth it on WOW:WoD and as I've said before you can't go wrong buying the game, especially how things have turned out with the rest of the ARPG/MMORPG over the last couple years. At the end also 44% of the community can't be wrong, while 16-17% were still undecided. I doubt any other game out there has such backing, which by the way is just another extra evidence anyone needs to finalize their decision.

Although, being patient and waiting out a week or so post launch was a good idea. There was DDOS'ing and it was resolved. Everything is fine now. The only thing I'll do later on is give my reasons why I'm getting back to the game and why I'll be enjoying it more than everything else I've been playing this year.

What if I don't enjoy WoW anymore?

I can fly higher than an aeroplane.
    And I have the voice of a thousand hurricanes.
    Hurt - Wars

• furbansfurbans Member UncommonPosts: 968

Yes, if you want a single player instanced online game with multiplayer features and farmsville crafting then yes WoW is for you.

However if you want an real MMO that has an open world that requires you to do... you know what MMOs are suppose to be, is that you actually play with others both socially and gaming cooperatively then this game is not for you and hardly the best out there.  Which is not what LFR or LFD do since no one ever talks to anyone.

WoD pretty much was the final nail on the coffin with me since they went the route of continual appeasing of casuals and that they can do everything without commitment was too much for me.  I'm a casual player but this was too much of solo world feel and giving away of epics without any effort.  I want to come across a game where when I encounter strangers, it is in my best interest to work with them and not ignore em, it takes time and effort to progress my character, and less of a personal hero experience.  I'm tired of companies taking the Massively out of MMO.

The market is stagnant as hell and any decent mediocere product is going the feel like the greatest thing since slice bread.  Hopefully EQN bring some of what I'm looking for since title after title is just dissapointment as it is the same crap over and over again that we've been forced down our through over the past decade.  At least EQN is trying to bring something new to the table and try to shake things up a bit.  Hopefully they'll have some success.

WoW might be a polished game but a turd is still a turd in that they aren't trying to do anything innovative and are just milking the cow for all its worth.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

OP...

Posting some %%%% have NOTHING to do with persuading people you are some what correct even though you did use the term "IMO".

When you bring up such a topic as this you NEED to tell us WHY and prove they are doing something above and beyond what even the smallest of game devs are doing and proving to us they do it better.

I know exactly how all this intellectual propaganda came about.I was one the the VERY few that had the luxury of playing MMORPG's BEFORE Wow.I can even include having played the IDENTICAL game in EQ2 before Wow.

I bring this up[ because having already been there done that NOTHING Wow did was exciting,fresh or new,so it came off as low budget to me,lower end graphics ,same old same old following yellow markers around,ya pretty much a boring game design.

However,that was not the case for the millions of NEW online gamer's,Wow was their first time ever seeing it so it came off as exciting,new fresh and this is how they will remember Wow always.It really si that simple,i remember my buddies reaction the first time he went form cheap console gaming to FFXI,he was absolutely dumb founded amazed at the game.Yep it was because it was NEW and fresh to him,never seen anything like it before.

Point?Simple,to those of us around long before and already been there done it,Wow is really not even remotely that good to us or at least many of us.I have tried the game about 4-5x it has never captured any excitement for me past the first day or two as i slowly become extremely bored and why?Simple been there done it already.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• mrneurosismrneurosis Member UncommonPosts: 314
    Originally posted by furbans

Yes, if you want a single player instanced online game with multiplayer features and farmsville crafting then yes WoW is for you.

However if you want an real MMO that has an open world that requires you to do... you know what MMOs are suppose to be, is that you actually play with others both socially and gaming cooperatively then this game is not for you and hardly the best out there.  Which is not what LFR or LFD do since no one ever talks to anyone.

WoD pretty much was the final nail on the coffin with me since they went the route of continual appeasing of casuals and that they can do everything without commitment was too much for me.  I'm a casual player but this was too much of solo world feel and giving away of epics without any effort.  I want to come across a game where when I encounter strangers, it is in my best interest to work with them and not ignore em, it takes time and effort to progress my character, and less of a personal hero experience.  I'm tired of companies taking the Massively out of MMO.

The market is stagnant as hell and any decent mediocere product is going the feel like the greatest thing since slice bread.  Hopefully EQN bring some of what I'm looking for since title after title is just dissapointment as it is the same crap over and over again that we've been forced down our through over the past decade.  At least EQN is trying to bring something new to the table and try to shake things up a bit.  Hopefully they'll have some success.

WoW might be a polished game but a turd is still a turd in that they aren't trying to do anything innovative and are just milking the cow for all its worth.

If i could think of every cliche that has been used to bash WOW for past 10 years.. they will all fit in this above post.

And who are you fooling? you are no casual player.  I know casuals and we don't talk like you. I have read most of your posts and all you do is bash 'casuals' at every given oppertunity. So either you hate yourself or you are lying and  i am pretty sure it is the later.

• WolfsheadWolfshead Member UncommonPosts: 224

Well OP if you play WoW at start 2004 you would mostlike think different and all about that mmo is evolve over years but that don't mean the make game so easy that faceroll game both in dungeon and quest wise for me a mmo should always be little hard so you as player want push yourself so you can over come problem in the game.

But Blizzard have total remove that challenge in WoW of I look back at classic WoW and TBC those 2 was fun for it was challenge do thing in game it was not like it is in Cata and MoP which is faceroll when you lvl up do quest i'm sorry but blizzard have kill the WoW i fall in love with back in 2004 which is shame for everything about WoW when come to lore but i glad you still love game GL and have fun in WoW.

• RaquisRaquis Member RarePosts: 1,029

imo,the dark souls games are the best in the word.

wow is ok but not great,just something to keep me busy till bloodborne comes.

ill probably only play for a month or so but dreanor is not too bad.

• SaluteSalute Member UncommonPosts: 795
    I m playing WoW since start. I dont know and i dont really care if its the best mmo out there. What i can say, its the only mmo i never regret for any $ i spend on it and from times to times i have more fun than in all other mmo's together. I don't like saying this because i bought and played many mmo's the last 5 years, but for me this is the sad truth.

All Time Favorites: EQ1, WoW, EvE, GW1
    Playing Now: WoW, ESO, GW2

• ImperatorBellusImperatorBellus Member UncommonPosts: 35
    Originally posted by DrakenZA

Valid opinion. But i feel its an opinion that lacks experience. The best games are the ones like Ultima Online or EvE Online with true player interactions. While WoW is fun and all, it is in no way a 'classic' mmorpg. WoW more or less invented this whole idea that every MMO must have raids and instances etc. What is the point of a large scale world with many players if the whole POINT of the game has nothing to do with interacting with that large group of players but is rather based around sitting in a town and queuing for dungeons.

Anyone who has played EVE/Ultima Online as long as they have played WoW will normally not rate WoW as a 'better' game.

Wrong, WoW is nothing but an Everquest Clone, it basically copied everquest but did it better. EQ had raids and instances. 

• The.agGThe.agG Member Posts: 119
    I tried getting into WoW so many times, even tried again two months back because of the excitement around for WoD but the leveling is just so godamn boring. I like Themeparks but WoW's leveling is just dull. This is also made worse by the fact that barely anyone interacts or talks in the chat in the early levels. There is just no feeling of a MMO in the game. People just run around trying to tag enemies as quickly as they can to finish the quests and run away. Yes, i know people say that WoW's raids are what make it awesome but shouldn't a MMO this acclaimed have an awesome leveling experience as well? Compared to this, my experiences in both ESO and SWTOR were far above this where not only the quests and stories are fun but the community is very lively and active in-game as well.
  • Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

It certainly is a fun experience that i regularly come back too..

is it the best, i dont know there are a few more good games i keep returning to

is it expensive, no because for every hour i play i cant spend moneey elsewhere. Yes because i could have spend the time workung and making more money. In the end the monthly cost itselves are not really an issuefor me, and if they are for you, get a better job or work more hours

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Originally posted by ImperatorBellus

Hahahaha, OP and people supporting his opinion must have some really low standards. WoW was good in the beginning but it is nothing but a milked cow now, it has become so streamlined and easy since Vanilla. Face it, wow is nothing but an Everquest Clone, WoW copied everquest but made it better, now it is just an obsolete piece of trash with no innovation at all. They are just squeezing your wallets for more cash because they know many of you will come back, truth is, once the new content is over and done with , most of those new subs will not be coming back.

It is a waste, the only hope for fantasy MMORPG's is with Everquest Next, WoW is repetitive and old, it is time to move on.

I can only imagine you never played the original Everquest, they really are very different games, although one thing Blizzard did do, was take ideas from other games, and improve on them, drastically, that they just did the exact same thing again, albeit from different games, displays far greater acumen for game design than your post would suggest, as for EQN, sadly that game died on the vine, it will take significant effort to change that, let alone for the game to begin to compete with the 'new and improved' WoW experience, but EQN is old news, nothing to see there, move along.image

• SerenesSerenes Member UncommonPosts: 351

I have been playing MMOs sense FFXI came out, back in 2003, I played FFXI until level 75 with 3 jobs BLM/WHM/SMN, I loved this game, but I picked WoW sometime in 2005, and I continued to play FFXI for I would say 2 years while also still playing WoW.  I've also played just about every major MMO release sense FFXI, EQ2/AoC/Rift/SW(both)/FFXIV(both)/GW(both)/Archage(Still playing this one), and none of these MMOs have kept me like WoW has, FFXI being the next because I still pop in from time to time to see if some old friends still play (They do still play.)

I was amazed at WoW, the UI was smooth and easy, the story was well driven and the world was bustling with people, and still to this day when I come back to WoW, I get this feeling of those first few months.

Has WoW had its ups and downs? Yes. MoP was a horrible abortion of a expansion pack, the nearly racist expansion was still had a amazing story, but it made it extremely hard to take seriously. Cata was the expansion pack for the casual it was blizzard trying to hold onto the massive playerbase they had created, it failed the game became to easy, Deathwing HM is by far the easiest HM final boss I have ever seen, it blew me away how quickly my guild did away with him. I honestly believe the diffculty of Cata to MoP was a drastic increase compared to Cata, about the same as Wotlk maybe a little easier, but atleast Cata was very well done as far as the story goes and how it was told.

I'm going to purchase WoD today, and honestly I won't regret it. I get atleast 40+ hours out of every WoW expansion which to me more then pays for itself if I get bored after that point.

WoW is not the greatest game ever made, but its one of the greatest.

It created a door for the MMO genre to have mass appeal, and one day someone will decrown WoW, its not a matter of if its a matter of when.

• KanethKaneth Member RarePosts: 2,286
    Originally posted by DMKano

I personally get a heck of lot more enjoyment for less than $10 at Taco Bell

Yes I played WoW back in 2004 - was a fun game - but IMO money spent at Taco Bell > beats anything in wow today

Your mileage may vary

Whenever I go to taco bell I just grab the bag and toss it in the toilet....cut out the middle man.

• HyanmenHyanmen Member UncommonPosts: 5,357

WoW players deserve better. It is no longer the best game as far as value for money is concerned. Yes, the expansions are quite fleshed out but the sub fee does not reflect the in-between-expansions support.

It seems the game has moved towards a B2P approach where the most original content comes in the form of expansion packs, instead of content patches.

If only the game was B2P and not P2P to reflect the changed direction.

Nowadays you're better off playing the game for a month, maybe two max, in-between expansions.

Using LOL is like saying "my argument sucks but I still want to disagree".
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,508

WOD is certainly a great game, just not much of a proper virtual world MMORPG these days, but most folks really aren't looking for those these days.

OP does display another well known fact, some folks play MMOs because "everyone" else does, or the masses "can't be wrong", and having others approve of our choices is a powerful motivator in many factors of life. (so is always supporting only the counter-culture option)

I figure it's best to play what you enjoy regardless what others think, and perhaps stick with the choice for the longer haul if one is so inclined. (others prefer to bounce around a bit between games)

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• grimgryphongrimgryphon Member CommonPosts: 682

Totally agree with you OP.

I don't even bother looking at new MMOs anymore. I'll just be back playing WoW in six or seven weeks...

Optional PvP = No PvP
  • grimgryphongrimgryphon Member CommonPosts: 682
    Originally posted by Kaneth
    Originally posted by DMKano

I personally get a heck of lot more enjoyment for less than $10 at Taco Bell

Yes I played WoW back in 2004 - was a fun game - but IMO money spent at Taco Bell > beats anything in wow today

Your mileage may vary

Whenever I go to taco bell I just grab the bag and toss it in the toilet....cut out the middle man.

I've never been able to tell the difference between what's in the bag and what winds up in the toilet. Looks and smells the same to me.

Optional PvP = No PvP