Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ArcheAge: "An Invitation to Demonic Possession"

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

According to televangelist Pat Robertson, ArcheAge, Dungeons & Dragons and games like them can be an invitation to demonic possession. You have to see and hear it to believe it.

We just can't make this stuff up, folks.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• whisperwyndwhisperwynd Member UncommonPosts: 1,668

Not surprising.

Whether religion or politics, certain groups have always tried to subvert and chastise others for doing (and enjoying) things they don't agree with.

Call it, 'human nature'   image

• ElderknightElderknight Member UncommonPosts: 322
    rofl, haha, omg thats funny.
  • AnthurAnthur Member UncommonPosts: 961

Isn't this topic against your own rules ?

http://www.mmorpg.com/disclaimers.cfm#conduct

Anyway, I don't think this thread will end well or lead to anything... better keep religion out of this forum. Your own rules make sense.

• shalissarshalissar Member UncommonPosts: 509

Well I don't know about DnD, but the community in AA and other competitive type games like MOBAs have got me re-thinking this whole vulnerability to demonic possession. :D

• MuntzMuntz Member UncommonPosts: 332
    Was Robertson just  possessed by Rona Jaffe?
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Praise Sithis!
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872
    Pat is right.

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    "The god I believe in... isn't short of cash MR."

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• Holst86Holst86 Member UncommonPosts: 57
    Originally posted by Anthur

Anyway, I don't think this thread will end well or lead to anything... better keep religion out of this forum. Your own rules make sense.

^Agreed.

If you think this guy is a wacko you should seriously check what some imaans are saying. But that might be too political incorrect for you Ford...

• SiugSiug Member UncommonPosts: 1,257
  • LudwikLudwik Member UncommonPosts: 407
    Those aren't demonic voices Pat, that's Scott Hartsman and the rest of his inner circle.

It's okay though, I certainly understand the confusion. For a while there even I was having a hard time telling the two apart.
  • angerbeaverangerbeaver Member UncommonPosts: 1,258
    Obviously rules only apply to certain sector of MMORPG.com users.
  • zerocountzerocount Member UncommonPosts: 200
    At times I feel these forums can be an invitation to demonic possession, at least some threads feel that way!
  • VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872
    Originally posted by angerbeaver

Fun fact #43253: Rules on these forums are made to be bent.... by moderators.

• KoroshiyaKoroshiya Member UncommonPosts: 265

Believers who refuse to deal with their own religious spokespeople shouldn't be so willing to point the finger at another's.

“The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off , why should I. Light up the darkness” – Bob Marley

Originally posted by Holst86

^Agreed.

If you think this guy is a wacko you should seriously check what some imaans are saying. But that might be too political incorrect for you Ford...

I guess... just like the Bible or the Qu'ran, it's open to interpretation.

On a more serious note. I don't think showing what a nut jobs belief on video gaming is, has much to do with religion.

A nut job = A nut job...  no matter what god or book you pray to.

• Zontas_HierospiritZontas_Hierospirit Member UncommonPosts: 57

First let's establish what demonic posession is to Pat. To him, it is things that lead people away from the truth. And yes, many many things do. In fact, anything of the world can. If you are a christian, then you already know this, because it is about going back to God when we die. If you believe pie will satisfy you, and not just you, your very being, in every situation, even after you die, even if your entire life ends, would the pie do that for you? The truth is always a disappointing no, but pie can be quite filling in more ways than in the stomach. Pat is just sharing the good news of Jesus Christ, albeit in a way that does not represent every christian or all of christianity.

If what he says worries you, then you are letting the demons win. What you can do is study God's promises. Don't focus on Pat so much. It's not so much the bad news that is important. It's the good news that is, in christ.

And in fact many video games were authored by very intelligent men who are on levels of metaphor and mythology and spiritual matters way higher than the average teenage gamer. And not all of them agree on the meaning of life. So yes, in a sense, there is a lot of demonic posession going on, like from Ender's Game, with higher powers attempting to harness followers in ideas.

• EcocesEcoces Member UncommonPosts: 879

hmm he might be on to something ... maybe thats why you have so many defending and white knighting for Archeage like you just insulted their mother.

Maybe they are possessed by demons

• Holst86Holst86 Member UncommonPosts: 57
    Originally posted by laserit

^Agreed.

On a more serious note. I don't think showing what a nut jobs belief on video gaming is, has much to do with religion.

My point is that its waaay more convenient to harass and make fun of the christian nutcases/fanatics than muslim ones. 

• TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619
    That could answer a lot of questions...  Trion is possessed by greedy demons
    "Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

• RemyVorenderRemyVorender Member RarePosts: 3,991
    From the title of the post, I thought Trion was now blaming "The Devil" for their misfortunes. That's nonsense of course, because everyone knows Trion IS the devil. 

Joined - July 2004

Originally posted by laserit

^Agreed.

My point is that its waaay more convenient to harass and make fun of the christian nutcases/fanatics than muslim ones. 

My point is that: When somebody does or says something something that is just kind of stupid in a funny way, You shouldn't worry so much about the religion they're misrepresenting and just have yourself a nice little harmless chuckle.

The world would be a better place

• thunderclesthundercles Member UncommonPosts: 510
    I disagree with pat but regardless this post is walking a thin line. I don't think it's worth the chuckle to ostracize a sub culture regardless of what you believe. If it was a Muslim leader, Jewish or Buddhist leader, i still think it's really close to too far. Leave this humor to south park.
  • MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555
    Originally posted by angerbeaver

This isn't a forum post, it's a news article. With that said, we'll lock the comments if the conversation  starts going off the rails.

• nebb1234nebb1234 Member Posts: 242
    'murica
This discussion has been closed.