Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Crew: 'Don't Believe Everything You Read' says Ubi

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Ubisoft has an interesting new post on The Crew blog today that lets players know that reviewers will be able to start posting their thoughts as early as the game goes live in December. That announcement comes with the caveat that those reviewers may be basing their thoughts on early versions or beta versions of the game and that writers may not have seen The Crew in its optimal light.

For this very reason, The Crew will be available to media to begin their reviews when the game launches on December 2. There will be absolutely no embargo on any type of coverage once the game is available for sale. While we fully anticipate that you might see some reviews immediately at launch – largely built around the preview sessions we facilitated during the past months or the limited content of the closed and open betas – they won’t be based on optimal conditions or reflect the finished game. We sincerely hope everyone will take the time to customize their ride as they progress through all five regions, explore every corner of the map solo and with friends, dive into our competitive and cooperative mechanics, race to the end of the main campaign, choose a Faction and compete with your crew in Factions Wars, and so much more.

Read the full post on The Crew website.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• udonudon Member UncommonPosts: 1,803

This seems to be a new trend among developers.  Seed doubt about early game reviews to hopefully drum up more sales.  We saw it with Destiny as well.  

It might work for a time but they better use it carefully.  if you tell your fans your game is better than early reviews indicate over and over again and are proven wrong most of those times, sooner rather than letter your fans will stop listening to you.

Not that I don't think the current Internet age review industry doesn't have way to much collective piss in it to be useful in any manner.

• psiicpsiic Member RarePosts: 1,640

LOL 

I always wonder what I can and cannot say as an active tester. 

I think I am allowed to say I test both the PC and PS4 version. 

UNRELATEDLY!!!

I spend a fortune on games, buy every crappy pos that ever releases.  I will NOT be buying The Crew.

Take from that whatever you will.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Originally posted by udon

This seems to be a new trend among developers.  Seed doubt about early game reviews to hopefully drum up more sales.  We saw it with Destiny as well.  

It might work for a time but they better use it carefully.  if you tell your fans your game is better than early reviews indicate over and over again and are proven wrong most of those times, sooner rather than letter your fans will stop listening to you.

Not that I don't think the current Internet age review industry doesn't have way to much collective piss in it to be useful in any manner.

Call it a coincidence, although personally i wouldn't, this is probably not unlike the situation with the latest assassins creed game, where reviewers weren't allowed to say anything until 12 hours or something, after the game launched. No prizes for guessing the reason for that was image

• Geddon95405Geddon95405 Member UncommonPosts: 111

it has been super consistent.... if a developer is blocking pre-release reviews of its final product that product is going to have some issues

100% of the time. Guess the Crew isn't going to be that great.

Crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and hear the lamentations of their women...

• TeshrrarTeshrrar Member Posts: 26
    It's ok. We can just wait for pos-launch reviews before buy, nothing which will change anything that I was already thinking to do.
  • RaxeonRaxeon Member UncommonPosts: 2,283
    Originally posted by psiic

LOL 

UNRELATEDLY!!!

I spend a fortune on games, buy every crappy pos that ever releases.  I will NOT be buying The Crew.

the game is pretty fun tho >< the handling needs some tweaking but some of it you can do your self

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424
    Just being able to drive from new york to LA or Seattle to Miami seamlessly is worth it.  Any reviews that are out can't be trusted anyways.  I don't really trust any reviews, but it's waaay to early to be trusting reviews.
  • ShaighShaigh Member EpicPosts: 2,142
    It should have said "don't believe anything you read". Most day-1 reviews for mmo'ish games are awful.
    Iselin: And the next person who says "but it's a business, they need to make money" can just go fuck yourself.
  • tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227
    it is also worth mentioning that the PC version of the game (that by all accounts seem to have been the most stable one has not had any betas in several months. So in case there are some who like me only tried the PC version i would guess the experince would be fairly different from the open beta thay have now for console.

This have been a good conversation

Originally posted by Raxeon
    Originally posted by psiic

LOL 

UNRELATEDLY!!!

the game is pretty fun tho >< the handling needs some tweaking but some of it you can do your self

Strangely considering it was obviously designed for consoles the game plays and is way more enjoyable on PC. 

The Crew is 90% precision driving that I personally find totally impossible on a game controller. 

Those minute last second corrections passing a gate or hitting a target dead on are pretty much impossible without a precision mouse/keyboard combo, at least in my experience. A clear difference between gold medals on the PC or bronze/fails on the PS4.

Originally posted by tawess
    it is also worth mentioning that the PC version of the game (that by all accounts seem to have been the most stable one has not had any betas in several months. So in case there are some who like me only tried the PC version i would guess the experince would be fairly different from the open beta thay have now for console.

PC is in select closed beta testing.

Originally posted by Stizzled
    Originally posted by Torvaldr

On the other half of the coin, if they're not letting some reviewers in for a good early preview then that should be telling. If only there was a recent precedent from Ubisoft to justify the skepticism we could agree in Unity that they should be more open.

Ubisoft did put themselves in this situation and regardless of the studio, Ubi's name is all over it and that is enough for people to be skeptical.

I doubt Ubi has much to be concerned about though, gamers are notoriously weak i then "wallet willpower" department and tend to to buy anything that moves.

There's nothing stopping reviewers from getting an early preview right now. There's an open beta running from today to the 27th. That's why Ubisoft is warning against the day one reviews, they're going to be based off of a whole three days worth of playing an open beta (or worse, the previous closed betas) where less than 10% of the content available.

I don't agree that having Ubisoft as a publisher is enough to be skeptical either. Ubisoft has allowed the game to be delayed multiple times now, for a total combined time of over a year. In that time they've held two PC closed betas, two console closed betas and are now having a console open beta. Personally I think that Ubi and Ivory are doing everything they can to make this game the best that it can be.

But, to be fair, I've been following this game since it's announcement and because of that I'm aware of these things. People who didn't care enough to follow the development are just going to see Ubisoft and, unfairly, assume the game is a rushed out piece of garbage.

Don't get me wrong, there's nothing wrong with being skeptical. Even I'm skeptical about the content that we haven't seen. But, for those who are at least slightly interested in this game, they've had plenty of chances to see what this game is about. The devs have been pretty open about this game, responding on the forums, holding Q&A sessions and so on. Even the game's beta bugs and glitches have been widely and openly talked about.

It's just not fair to compare this game with AC: Unity or Watch Dogs. This isn't like Ubisoft's self developed single player titles, where we don't really know a thing about them until the day of release. We know tons about this game. Honestly, unless reviewers are really going to take the time to play through a good portion of the game before reviewing, there's not a whole lot of stuff they can tell us that isn't already out there.

A fitting saying here would be, You made your bed now lie in it. 

Nobody has forced ubisoft to over extend themselves the way they have over the past 4 years. They are pushing games out way too fast ever over-whealing their development staff as well as their networked servers.

Sadly the top 10 % know the asteroid is coming so they having to rush everything and get greedier and greedier so they can afford to finish all those underground bunkers and get them all well stocked for the end.

At least that is the only thing that seems to make any sense to me on how and why so many long established solid sensible corporations have now begun cutting their own throats with shoddier and shoddier production, higher and higher pricing, and a total disregard for customer retention.

Hell even the banking crisis, real estate bubble, and exchange sell offs are all part of where is the money going? Money just does not vanish from a global economy and yet that is exactly what has happened, the top 10% have taken the money out of banks, real estate, and the market. So where has it gone? 

Why do we have a global concrete shortage, why over the past 5 years have we had companies that produce bulk slats of survival rations in millions of units have large periods of total sell outs. 

Why are we showing one of the slowest 5 year periods of tech advancement in our history?

Why are the top 10 richest people in the world buying up huge tracts of farm lands, wilderness, and fresh water sources.

Anyway back to ubisoft, they made their bed and now they LIE in it.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.
  • TheRealDarkeusTheRealDarkeus Member UncommonPosts: 314
    More like don't listen to a word Ubisoft says. They are the new Evil Empire in gaming. EA is not even as bad anymore.
  • BattlerockBattlerock Member CommonPosts: 1,393
    The next game I buy pre release or day of will be the next WoW expansion - every game I have purchased in the past year as pre order has been a dud. Destiny got me the worst of all. There is no reason to pre purchase a game anyhow, nor is there a good reason to buy into early access. Headstart sessions that are detrimental to the nature of the game such as the case with Archeage is just another creative format of pay to win. The modern production studio has more accounts employed than programers.

Ok I do not usually do this..

However, I am going to change my mind about The Crew.  

The just  pushed a pretty big patch that addressed a lot of the problems I had with the game. 

That being said this patch has had like zero test time, even though it does fix a lot of bugs and address a lot of the issues testers have been asking for it may carry with it some bugs too.

I am going to admit I was wrong and admit I just purchased the game based on this latest patch completely.