Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why did you leave the last mmo(s) you played?

Comments

• yaminsuxyaminsux Member UncommonPosts: 973
    ESO - reason, RL commitment. Will comeback later on.
  • RohnRohn Member UncommonPosts: 3,730

Time.

I don't have the time to dedicate to MMOs like I used to.

I've enjoyed a lot of games.  I don't get overly emotional about them, or let them "hurt" me in a way that will make me run screaming to whatever forum will have me.

Games are game.  A leisure activity.  People need to stop blowing their importance WAY out of proportion.

Hell hath no fury like an MMORPG player scorned.

• angerbeaverangerbeaver Member UncommonPosts: 1,259

FFXIV:ARR ->  Good game, but it was the same thing every day. 

ArcheAge -> I want to leave the game, but due to being responsible for Tailoring in my Guild I can't atm lol. Hacks/Exploits/Bots/Lack of quality in Customer Service/Dragon Age Inquistion are all the reasons I want to leave

• d_20d_20 Member RarePosts: 1,878
    Originally posted by Bigboo

Eso

1. boring (The most important point -- though also the most subjective)
    2. not elder scrolls feeling -- It feels more ES to me than any other mmorpg, at least
    3. small and not open world, closed closet design
    4. veteran points, maxlvl 50 wasnt max lvl -- I agree with this
    5. not alt friendly -- I agree, due to reason 4, and patch 1.5 has only made this worse
    6. it was a sologame not an mmo -- True for levels 1-50 but now there is a lot of forced grouping, which I hate
    7. not possible to group with friends -- I think they've improved this a lot
    8. not fun to realise that I paid for a beta, main goal for the pc release was to prepare it for consoles -- Unfortunately, I have to agree with this

I'm on the edge about ESO. I will end my sub to WoW after this month. If I lose ESO and WoW, I will be done with mmorpgs for the foreseeable future.

• Mister_RasMister_Ras Member Posts: 2

Funny I found this thread.  I registered here on the site just so I could review the game I left - ArcheAge.

Trion has done nothing but lie repeatedly to the community.  The game is overflowing with bots and constant cash shop exploits.  You can't get away from the cheaters and because of this, a legit player has a difficult time keeping up.  Trion can't seem to get even the most simple of bugs fixed and allows exploits to remain in the game long after they have been detected and then claim they can do nothing about them because they have no control over the code.  They have demonstrated they do not care about the user base or the game they publish and are there to milk the players for as much money as possible before the game completely collapses under the weight of all the cheaters.

It's very unfortunate they allowed such an interesting and fun game to crash and burn.  It is a fantastic game world with a very deep crafting system and an amazing skill system.  However, that does not even come close to overcoming the issues that players will inevitably have in dealing with Trion.

• nennafirnennafir Member UncommonPosts: 313

I left Wildstar because I was a pvp player and thought their gear system was stupid.  This might have changed, but in the past it was not made to have competitive pvp.

The main reason I leave every MMO is because of gear.

Gear is a horrible, horrible idea and is the antithesis of skill.  I think the average MMO player likes gear because they secretly (but will never admit) feel that they are incompetent, and want an advantage over others.  It would be so refreshing to play an MMO without any gear advantage at all.

I am playing SMITE now.  It is fun, and any advantage is cosmetic.

I really love the character customization of MMOs.  You can make your character look like what you want them to look like.  It is just too bad that most have this horrible gear focus.

If only they would focus on just being fun, and not worrying about gear, I would like them much more...

Originally posted by Mister_Ras

Funny I found this thread.  I registered here on the site just so I could review the game I left - ArcheAge.

Trion has done nothing but lie repeatedly to the community.  The game is overflowing with bots and constant cash shop exploits.  You can't get away from the cheaters and because of this, a legit player has a difficult time keeping up.  Trion can't seem to get even the most simple of bugs fixed and allows exploits to remain in the game long after they have been detected and then claim they can do nothing about them because they have no control over the code.  They have demonstrated they do not care about the user base or the game they publish and are there to milk the players for as much money as possible before the game completely collapses under the weight of all the cheaters.

It's very unfortunate they allowed such an interesting and fun game to crash and burn.  It is a fantastic game world with a very deep crafting system and an amazing skill system.  However, that does not even come close to overcoming the issues that players will inevitably have in dealing with Trion.

QFT

Originally posted by nennafir

I left Wildstar because I was a pvp player and thought their gear system was stupid.  This might have changed, but in the past it was not made to have competitive pvp.

The main reason I leave every MMO is because of gear.

Gear is a horrible, horrible idea and is the antithesis of skill.  I think the average MMO player likes gear because they secretly (but will never admit) feel that they are incompetent, and want an advantage over others.  It would be so refreshing to play an MMO without any gear advantage at all.

I am playing SMITE now.  It is fun, and any advantage is cosmetic.

I really love the character customization of MMOs.  You can make your character look like what you want them to look like.  It is just too bad that most have this horrible gear focus.

If only they would focus on just being fun, and not worrying about gear, I would like them much more...

If you like SMITE, that's great.

If you want to try MMORPGs with less gear grind: Darkfall, GW2, and ESO. However there can be other kinds of grinds in those games. I'm not sure what Darkfall's grind is like these days, but once you get your skills to a certain point, skill is very important. GW2 seems to have the least grind. It's easiest to max level and get decent gear. ESO has a serious questing grind to max, but once you get there, gear is not so bad and skill is a factor. If you want easy mode roll a Dragon Knight. Otherwise, you will have a challenge. But that can be fun.

• KopogeroKopogero Member UncommonPosts: 1,685

Once you reach my level 1000 you won't even have to install a game to know how it will end up. DCUO was the last new MMORPG that took my $ on January 2011. I quit it because every new DLC adds some perks like enchants or trinket slot or some super blocks for PvP, which is half of what the game is about. DCUO is not worth $15 a month to use all these DLC and since their PvE content is outdated, it's not worth spending the full price just to get back to the game on like 3-5 DLC so far.

If DCUO charges me $10-15 per 3-4 months on a DLC where I can PvP and PvE through the week I would came back in a rush. There is no MMORPG on the market right now that worth more than $50-70 per year to play it. There is too much competition out there and I'll be going back to Path of Exile in 17 days, which buy the way costs me $0.

• RaquisRaquis Member RarePosts: 1,029

I played all the mmos on beta or bought it,ESo huge disappointment.

all mmos are boring quest grinds only interesting the first view days or weeks.

I bought wow dreanor no and its boring!

only good mmos are the dark souls games-waiting for bloodborne and ill buy a ps4 and play hundreds of hours something good.

the souls games are like a single player game where you can summon players and I think it qualifies as a multiplayer online,maybe not massively.

• ZeroDepthZeroDepth Member Posts: 142

ArcheAge:

Great potential but poorly managed and rampant hacks/exploits.  Game began felt like a job and was not having fun.  

• TheHavokTheHavok Member UncommonPosts: 2,423

I left _____ because...

Archeage - wasn't in the mind set to grind levels (tis silly, I know - I might return one day)

Wildstar - sever performance issues.  I may return now that I built a new rig.

Firefall - Red5 treated their veterans and beta population like shit.  I spent $100 on a founder pack in open beta, just to discover that, at launch, players could get all the same things I had for a fraction of the cost. Additionally, Red5 always seemed on the brink of turmoil.

The Secret World - Got lonely.

The Elder Scrolls Online - Horrendous bugs and game performance.

Final Fantasy 14 - Beautiful game but it felt so slow to get things done.  Questing, crafting, leveling, even traveling, everything felt so slow.

Trove - Just seemed pointless.  I liked the controls but I just couldn't level up and get new gear for the sake of just leveling up and getting new gear (I know that most games are like this now but I still need something to drive me along besides just getting more shit I already have).

Guild Wars 2 - Disappointed with how structured pvp was handled.  Class and spec balance was severely lacking.  A great example was how horrendous Rangers were at launch and for months, but then one patch to fix their pet pathing suddenly made them overpowered.

World of Warcraft -  After playing 8+ years, I decided that I just needed something different and new.  WoW was great, but it made me enjoy other games less due to always comparing them WoW.

• RydesonRydeson Member UncommonPosts: 3,852

game = (you pick)

reason = lifeless class system w/ gear grinds.. 

Playing a game so I can grind to tier 2 gear, then repeat end game 300 times to get tier 3, then repeat it again 400 times to get tier 4 has got to be the most sadistic MMO formula ever created.. LOL  The kool aid was free.. ha ha

• giftedHorngiftedHorn Member UncommonPosts: 106

I left Neverwinter when Mod 5 came out. Before that... I left Marvel Heroes when the Bronx Zoo came out. Before that... I left Neverwinter (the first time) when Mod 3 was announced.

Before that... I left SWTOR while doing Belsavis for the 4th time when I realized I did not care how my class story (BH) ended. Before that... I left Marvel Heroes (the first time) when Asgard was announced. Before that... I left SWTOR (the first time) while doing Belsavis for the 2nd time when I realized I did not care how my class story (trooper) ended.

Before that... I left Champions Online when my subscription ran out. Before that... I left WoW during WotLK when I reached level cap without a guild.

Before that... a few years without playing MMOs, and before that... I left WoW (the first time) when TBC was announced and my guild stopped raiding.

Guess I'm allergic to new content. And Belsavis.

• anonentityanonentity Member UncommonPosts: 36

I left City of Heroes cause they blew it up.

*shakes fist at NcSoft.

I'd still be there now.

• kjempffkjempff Member RarePosts: 1,759

Themepark fatigue. Any mmog since 2005.

Yet another railroaded story driven game. Just gets pointless quickly, sometimes in a day like archeage, sometimes it takes a few weeks like gw2. Still keep comming back to try various new titles hoping that one day some developer has finally got the basics right.

• sumdumguy1sumdumguy1 Member RarePosts: 1,373

I left but I also come back to these as well. Left GW2 about a month ago.  Needed a break. I will come back later.  Currently playing secret world and the same thing happens with it as well. 

• L0C0ManL0C0Man Member UncommonPosts: 1,065

Last MMO I left was The Secret World... Reason: GW2 came out.

Here's my story so far:

WoW: Age of Conan came out.

Age of Conan: Lack of content. All friends had left before I did, I left when I realized I was going to grind the same short solo dungeons over and over for 6 or 7 levels until I was high enough for the next quest hub.

WoW again: All friends had left, realized I had hit a wall and was basically doing the same thing over and over after having earnt all rewards I could from that, and if I wanted to progress any further I'd need to join a raiding guild and devote waaay too much time for that, plus playing on a different time zone (playing on euro servers and being in Venezuela, in south america) meant all of them would raid at times where I'd be at work anyway.

Runes of Magic: Played on NA servers, was having a lot of fun, then the game was licensed for south america and they blocked all south american IPs from logging into NA servers, didn't want to start over again.

Rift: Realized I was mostly leveling up to try to get to the fun part (endgame), wasn't having that much fun, so I unsubbed

Age of Conan (F2P): I was having fun, but as I reached the level cap the F2P limits were starting to feel more restrictive... plus I  won a copy of Guild Wars on an MMORPG.com sweepstakes so I started playing that.

GW1: The Secret World came out.

The Secret World: GW2 came out.

What can men do against such reckless hate?

• KuinnKuinn Member UncommonPosts: 2,072

I usually leave mmorpgs because I start playing them for the massive worlds, but endgame tends to be instanced raiding. So I run around for a while just to confirm that nothing in the massive world is designed for max level characters, and thus leave bored when there's nothing fun to do.

However, more and more longer running mmorpgs add things to do besides raiding etc, so it's nice to revisit games and find fun stuff to do even if you dont like raiding. This is one reason why I will let Wildstar to cook for a year or two before even starting with it, so it might be more in the place I like when I start with it. This is also why I'm having blast in TOR atm besides the x12 leveling boost, a lot of stuff added where I dont have to raid in instance at max lvl.

• DibdabsDibdabs Member RarePosts: 3,203

I must have played several dozen mmorpgs over the years and I suppose the general answer would simply be boredom.  I get bored for several reasons and it's usually a mixture of getting bored with the levelling system, the questing system, the "everyone is basically the same" character classes and even the game world itself.

I just find myself sitting at the computer one day and thinking "I can't be bothered to boot the game up any more." 

• gatherisgatheris Member UncommonPosts: 1,016

ArcheAge

left a bad taste for any new MMO

looks like the future for me is single player with no online requirement - oh, wait

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    Wife and I left our last MMO because of people. We joined a guild in EQ2, they were friendly, even giving us items to help level. Only thing is when we got to end game they were not so friendly. We spend 4 weeks at top level logging in nightly asking to team up for anything. Or to help us do dungeon runs to get dressed for raids and they never had time for us as new members. In the end we left from being board. I think they were so used to teaming with the same people that as much as they wanted new members for raids but they just didnt want to change who they teamed with outside of that. 
  • AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

Originally posted by Jemcrystal
    EQ  -  quest grind.
    EQ had a quest grind? Did I miss something there?

Last MMO I left would be GW2 and I just got bored with no connection to my character formed through the game.

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• NitetasiaNitetasia Member UncommonPosts: 29

I left RO because I played it for years but started to play Lineage 2... but it was my first MMORPG and I will always love it (can't wait for Tree of Savior :D )

I left Aion / Lineage 2 because I played for years and just got bored...

I left Tera because the story/questing...

I left  GW2 because I didnt like the characters and the battle system was not as fun as tera's...

I left Archeage because the battle system put me to sleep...

I left Blade and Soul (Russian version) because it wasn't anything I was hoping for... I mean at first is was fun until level 30.. and then just didnt have that want to play anymore T_T

I left Wildstar because of the lack of people. (I love this game... and each month is seems to get better, but until people start to realize that it is getting better and come back, it's just going to sitting there in the shadows... (I mean it did help to make it one big server, but it still feels lonely... it maybe because all my friends left.. but still)

• free2playfree2play Member UncommonPosts: 2,043
    Originally posted by Jemcrystal

I left    _________    because...

FFXIV  -  huge craft system made useless by selling all materials and craftable items at npcs & to much update lag for a p2p.

So why did you leave your last mmo?

That

baby out with the bath water in ARR.

It was doomed anyway. No decay in a crafting oriented game is doom.