Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Are there any modern games like SWG?

kolpokolpo Member UncommonPosts: 30

Are there any modern games like SWG? A game about a world and not levels, a game without unwanted PVP and many unique sub games like Creature taming, crafting and bio engineering new creatures.

The only other game I found that feels somewhat similar was eve online, but it's gigantic death penality(imagine losing all armor and weapons when you die) and PVP focus turned me off. Anyone know a modern game like SWG?

BTW, I'm talking about pre NGE SWG and not the badly made EQ clone that it became later.

Comments

• ChrisboxChrisbox Member UncommonPosts: 1,729

Check out the repopulation, its in alpha but looks promising.

Played-Everything
    Playing-LoL

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

SWG isn't modern.... it took place a long time ago....

Originally posted by Vesavius

I think the OP ment games out today that were like SWG.

Played-Everything
    Playing-LoL

• Einherjar_LCEinherjar_LC Member UncommonPosts: 1,055

Give Fallen Earth a try OP.  It's got a SWG feel to it and the crafting is pretty well done.

Asherons Call is a very in depth game as well.  The graphics are dated, and the population isn't what it once was but still a fun MMO with a decent tinkering(crafting) system. 

Einherjar_LC says: WTB the true successor to UO or Asheron's Call pst!

• RhavensRhavens Member Posts: 59

As it's been said in a previous post, The Repopulation seems to be the next SWG. Go see their web site: http://www.therepopulation.com/. That's all we have for the moment but you'll surely recognize most of the features that made SWG a great MMORPG plus more. 

• GTwanderGTwander Member UncommonPosts: 6,035
    Originally posted by Vesavius

~and in a galaxy far, far away.

Writer / Musician / Game Designer

Now Playing: Skyrim, Wurm Online, Tropico 4
    Waiting On: GW2, TSW, Archeage, The Rapture

• helthroshelthros Member UncommonPosts: 1,449
    Originally posted by kolpo

Are there any modern games like SWG? A game about a world and not levels, a game without unwanted PVP and many unique sub games like Creature taming, crafting and bio engineering new creatures.

The only other game I found that feels somewhat similar was eve online, but it's gigantic death penality(imagine losing all armor and weapons when you die) and PVP focus turned me off. Anyone know a modern game like SWG?

BTW, I'm talking about pre NGE SWG and not the badly made EQ clone that it became later.

If you're even remotely careful it's so damn difficult to lose a ship in EVE.

• kolpokolpo Member UncommonPosts: 30
    Originally posted by Einherjar_LC

Give Fallen Earth a try OP.  It's got a SWG feel to it and the crafting is pretty well done.

Asherons Call is a very in depth game as well.  The graphics are dated, and the population isn't what it once was but still a fun MMO with a decent tinkering(crafting) system. 

I have just tried fallen earth and it indeed seems to be a world game(rather then a level/themepark game) without  unwanted PVP. I have only briefly played it, so I shall need to try it out more.

I thought Asherons Call was a level/themepark game?

• kolpokolpo Member UncommonPosts: 30
    Originally posted by Chrisbox

Repopulation looks interesting but making a game look interesting before release is far easier then making a good game. So let's see how this turns out.

• AceundorAceundor Member Posts: 482

Check out The Secret World

Originally posted by BishopB:

Are a lot of the trolls just angry kids with old gaming hardware?

Originally posted by Chrisbox

Repopulation looks interesting but making a game look interesting before release is far easier then making a good game. So let's see how this turns out.

Wise words young grasshopper.

Played-Everything
    Playing-LoL

• Einherjar_LCEinherjar_LC Member UncommonPosts: 1,055
    Originally posted by Einherjar_LC

I have just tried fallen earth and it indeed seems to be a world game(rather then a level/themepark game) without  unwanted PVP. I have only briefly played it, so I shall need to try it out more.

I thought Asherons Call was a level/themepark game?

AC has levels yes, but it is a skill based sandbox type game. 

You can make your character however you want and do whatever you want within the world.

Einherjar_LC says: WTB the true successor to UO or Asheron's Call pst!

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,739
    Originally posted by Aceundor

Check out The Secret World

TSW is nothing like SWG was....ITs more like SWTOR  where its a single player game with too many cutscenes and driven by a single story line.

• VenomDGVenomDG Member UncommonPosts: 2
    SWG is still around... http://www.swgemu.com/forums/index.php
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    Some things were only meant to happen once in this universe, SWG is one of those things.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Out of anything out or coming down the road, I think what will foster the most SWG like in game environment will be Shroud of the Avatar, say what you will about it being a true MMO yadda yadda, it has the right rulesets in place to encourage such a community.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson