Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ArcheAge, SWTOR or Aion?

VrdictVrdict Member Posts: 10

Recently bored to death of ESO endgame (or lack thereof), and I haven't played any of these, but I've been seing that SWTOR and Aion are both much improved since their initial launches.

IIRC all 3 have F2P options, though I'm more than willing to pay for a sub, I don't want the game to be P2W by any means.

Was hoping the community here could lend some direct comparisons to how the PVE, storylines, endgame etc match up between these 3 titles, or any other MMO's you think are a good match.

Comments

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749

Go LotRO. Ok, sorry, seems that's what I put up first on every LFG :)

So, among the 3 in the title, with "how the PVE, storylines, endgame", I think it's obviously TOR. (even if I used to speak not-so-nice things about it...) AA has almost nothing in the section of PvE and storyline, and Aion has only a pretty bland one. But in Aion's case the f2p model is cool, so if you have enough time, you can check its PvE.

Oh, and if you add "though I'm more than willing to pay for a sub" then even more TOR, since with a sub you won't see anything of its weak f2p :)

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    It depends on your play style and what you like to do.  As for me, I've played all the games and enjoyed them all.  The one I've played the most was SWTOR.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965
    I would recommend TERA

• Sevenstar61Sevenstar61 Member UncommonPosts: 1,686

Definitely SWTOR. It has a lot of content and the new expac is coming in December. The best PVE experience, no other game aside of TSW comes even close. There are minigames inside a game if you want some other experience, there is housing. Get into good guild to experience endgame. Nothing in other games compares to operations (raids) in SWTOR - these are stories itself  and are excellent. Flashpoints (dungeons) are aslo storytelling and in some of them you get different  endings depending which side (dark or light) you choose. There are plenty of heroic quests (2 to 4 players) on every planet and its very easy to get a group. Overall it's excellent game. I am playing if from early access in 2011 and I am still playing....

Edit. 

Definitely sub at least for a month to avoid F2P restrictions, after one month if you shoose not to pay you will get preferred status which gives more stuff than regular F2P.

The best stories in my opinion are imperial Agent, Sith Warrior, Sith Inquisitor and on Republic side Jedi Knight. If you would prefer more military storyline go for a Trooper - Commando is very fun to play Class.

Sith Warrior - Story of Hate and Love http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxKrlwXt7Ao
    Imperial Agent - Rise of Cipher Nine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBBj3eJWBvU&feature=youtu.be
    Imperial Agent - Hunt for the Eagle Part 1http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQqjYYU128E

• dasX82dasX82 Member UncommonPosts: 104
    Originally posted by Vrdict

Recently bored to death of ESO endgame (or lack thereof), and I haven't played any of these, but I've been seing that SWTOR and Aion are both much improved since their initial launches.

IIRC all 3 have F2P options, though I'm more than willing to pay for a sub, I don't want the game to be P2W by any means.

Was hoping the community here could lend some direct comparisons to how the PVE, storylines, endgame etc match up between these 3 titles, or any other MMO's you think are a good match.

Aion and Archeage are full of hacks everywhere. Typical korean games

• JohnxboyJohnxboy Member UncommonPosts: 104

If you haven't tried AA, I've been playing it a bit just casually for the first time for just about a week, and it's not that bad. I'm not gonna buy patron or any of that shit (though if you'd, it's pretty much "mandatory" if you don't want to be a snail) but it's fun being able to change classes. Not gonna spend too much time on it but it's nice. 

Aion is a bit meh, nowadays I used to play it back in the day on a PS with some friends, invading elyos territory, that was really the most thing to do. Aside from that some dungeons with them as well but becareful of the leveling experience, it's increidbly boring but if you can power through it. it may be worth while in the end. Good luck

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    What are you looking for OP? Housing? Arena? Could you explain what you think AION or Swtor might have interms of end game that ESO doesn't?
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • WoopinWoopin Member UncommonPosts: 1,012
    Originally posted by bcbully
    What are you looking for OP? Housing? Arena? Could you explain what you think AION or Swtor might have interms of end game that ESO doesn't?

A healthy population ? maybe a guess but he has seemed to pick games with still a good pop.

• TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619

AA has exploits, Korean grind and Trion is powerless to stop the continued epic fails.  New continent opens and half the server cant login to claim land.  First castle siege and the scolls dont work as advertised and the castle walls are unbreakable.  If you like planting virtual potatoes then this game is for you.  If you like rewarding PVP, go somewhere else.

"Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Originally posted by Woopin
    Originally posted by bcbully

A healthy population ? maybe a guess but he has seemed to pick games with still a good pop.

Not sure what world you are living in, the fictitious internet past? All that talk died low ago. You haven't heard?

I was asking OP btw.

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584

from these 3 aion is the best one

Arche age, thanks for trion lack of will to do a good job and stupid decisions, plus hacks, plus wish for a quick money grab and all fixes they put in the game is to force you to use the CS and cut better things in game who is better then CS to not be anymore and don't matter if you buy from CS or spend 200 gold for the thing who was supose to be better .

is already losing too many players, most are just waiting for they patron expire.

SWTOR is a ridicuous game unless you feel to play a single player game, playing jedi knight is like it was a KOTOR3, no reason to do anything else when you run the content, with can be done in less then a month if you play 2 hours a day(if youa re a alt holic and like to play several classes maybe it can suvive longer), but the CS is restritive with lock even hotbar and you need to pay to unlock (plus money is capped and no way to unlock it or you spend cash to get some back or pay for the sub) and don't let me talk about gear locks and drops too.

aion at least have a less annoying CS, even if some of it its here but you can survive without it, but the game is around world pvp so if you don't like it you will have a problem.

and for tera who someone mentioned, serious if you play aion and like it tera will be too slow and not as fun, plus they main sell is the BAMs who they tell us it a hard fight is too damn easy and only take time to kill it for his huge HP pool

FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
  • hikaru77hikaru77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,123
    Originally posted by Vrdict

The only game who is not P2W of those three is SWTOR, also the new xpac is coming in a week, so if you wanna pay a sub, is a good time to try it. 

• The.agGThe.agG Member Posts: 119

My vote goes to SWTOR as well for the same reasons others said above (tons of content, story telling, huge number of dungeons, etc.).

Stay away from Archeage imo and Aion is getting really old and doesn't get the number of updates SWTOR does. Both are also Korean grinders so that's a con as well.

• VrdictVrdict Member Posts: 10

Thanks for all the responses, looks like I'll give SWTOR a go. And to those that asked, I really don't know what I'm looking for in an mmo at this point, it used to be raiding but I didn't want to pigeonhole the responses since there are any number of factors that I find enjoyable from one game to the next. Things like housing and pvp aren't really a deciding factor for me, they're positive additions that I take into consideration, but I played EQ for years without either.

I had no idea about the rampant cheating in Archeage though, so that's a pretty huge negative. SWTOR sounds like a pretty solid choice from the comments, good storyline, not a p2w, and still developing new content.

Thanks again.