Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guild Wars 2: Grab a Copy for 50% Off Starting Wednesday

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Starting "Black Friday" a couple days early, ArenaNet has announced that digital editions of Guild Wars 2 will be 50% off from November 26th through December 7th. Copies will be eligible for this price only via the Guild Wars 2 site.

We wanted to share ArenaNet’s upcoming Black Friday sale starting November 26th through December 7th. ArenaNet is offering 50% off the Digital Heroic and Digital Deluxe Editions of its critically acclaimed MMO, Guild Wars 2 (Metascore 90).               

The offer will apply only to the Digital Heroic Edition and Digital Deluxe Edition if purchased through buy.guildwars2.com from 12pm Pacific Time November 26, 2014 through 11:59pm Pacific Time December 7, 2014.

Mark your calendars and then head to the Guild Wars 2 site at the appointed time.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    I dont play games that have pay walls. Too bad as well, I loved this game till its changes. I would say GW2 landed top 5 for PvP I have played in a MMO. Sad day when I uninstalled this game.
  • GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Originally posted by Nanfoodle
    I dont play games that have pay walls. Too bad as well, I loved this game till its changes. I would say GW2 landed top 5 for PvP I have played in a MMO. Sad day when I uninstalled this game.

That's exactly why I stopped. The paywalls weren't high enough to block my progression, but they were high enough to trip over. I found that to be an annoyance I didn't feel like tolerating.

• Rayzer235Rayzer235 Member UncommonPosts: 63

Paywalls? the cost of the box?

• keirionkeirion Member UncommonPosts: 51
    I'm not sure what game you guys were playing but I'm pretty sure it's not GW2. The only paywall outside of cosmetics is buying the game... which as noted in the article will be $20 as of Wednesday.
    Originally posted by Rayzer235

If you dont log in at least once every 2 weeks the new content updates will now cost you money/gems to unlock them. I play about once a month for a few days in a row. Look at the new content, get some PvP in. Once they announced this I uninstalled the game. Sad thing is I was a supporter of this game. Buying gems and items once every few months. There are so many smarter ways to make money then paywalls.

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Pay walls?  Details please, as I've never run into a point when I've had to buy something from the store in order to play a part of the game.  I'm calling shenanigans on those posts.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• ronokronok Member Posts: 13
    -snip-

If you dont log in at least once every 2 weeks the new content updates will now cost you money to unlock them. I play about once a month for a few days in a row. Look at the new content, get some PvP in. Once they announced this I uninstalled the game. Sad thing is I was a supporter of this game. Buying gems and items once every few months. There are so many smarter ways to make money then paywalls.

You know that you can buy 200 gems with like 30g, don't you? That's a day worth of dungeon daylies.

It's more like a gold sink than a paywall.

• Zeus.CMZeus.CM Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,788

If you dont log in at least once every 2 weeks the new content updates will now cost you money/gems to unlock them. I play about once a month for a few days in a row. Look at the new content, get some PvP in. Once they announced this I uninstalled the game. Sad thing is I was a supporter of this game. Buying gems and items once every few months. There are so many smarter ways to make money then paywalls.

You must log in every 2 weeks? THE HORROR!! I hope you're joking...

• DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802

*edit* my post took a bit too long

They are talking about season 2.

I have mixed feelings about this. I got all my season 2 stories for free but I can see how ex players are mad about this.

Anyway on the topic itself.. black friday or not - gw2 goes on discount ever so often. Whenever I meet interested people I tell them to wait for another 50% event cause the next discount is right around the corner.

Harbinger of Fools
    Originally posted by Zeus.CM

You must log in every 2 weeks? THE HORROR!! I hope you're joking...

For a game that marketed as B2P with a fair cash shop, that as the devs put it. Not the MMO to make you quit playing other MMOs to play but the one you can play between other subbed game. They sold the casual nature of their product and the reason I gave them money. Paywalls are bad business and rarely do gamers pay them with a good feeling of pls take my money. 

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317

Oh so you mean a "playwall" where you have to play the game to have access to new content.  Yeah, that's rough.  And the gall of them to charge $2.50 for the new content if you're not able to log in for 30 seconds in a two week period. I guess people should take a serious look at subscription gaming again where you pay $15 each month no matter how much you play, cause that's SO much better of a deal.

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

-snip-

For a game that marketed as B2P with a fair cash shop, that as the devs put it. Not the MMO to make you quit playing other MMOs to play but the one you can play between other subbed game. They sold the casual nature of their product and the reason I gave them money. Paywalls are bad business and rarely do gamers pay them with a good feeling of pls take my money. 

You're right, I don't see how can you find time in your schedule to play other games when you have to log for 1 minute every 2 weeks.

I mean, it is so time consuming!

• Rayzer235Rayzer235 Member UncommonPosts: 63
    If you don't want to pay for it with money use gold then it's not that much for an episode and if you just want the play through the story and don't care about those achievements then just ask someone who has the episode to let you play through their instance so you don't have to pay for it.
  • VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872

So, Guild Wars 2 coming at a 50% discount is newsworthy and Wildstar 33% off since last week is not? You even got a memo about the latter.

This is just the stuff that makes this site look...erm...let's just say "biased" at times.

• keirionkeirion Member UncommonPosts: 51

Wait, so you didn't have a problem with completely missing out on content if you didn't log in for it during the 2 week period over the entire previous year but if instead they have part of it persistent and part of it have a 'lock' if you missed logging on during its 2 week (or often longer) time period, you're fine with that?

• rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870

Really?

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

Yeah, I get it, some of you don't like that some players feel like ANET has made a course change in their business direction in an effort to increase monetization. You didn't feel like it or didn't see it in your game play? Well that's great. I'm jealous. (No, really, I am. I liked the game) But I did and I am not alone. there are plenty of threads on these forums and some of you are the same people who argued them months and weeks ago and you still want to argue them now. Well, I don't feel like arguing these points again.......and again.......and again. I quit GW2 as a result of feeling squeezed and no forum debate will bring me back. Only ANET can do that now. Honestly, it really wouldn't take much to do that either.
    Originally posted by Volgore

So, Guild Wars 2 coming at a 50% discount is newsworthy and Wildstar 33% off since last week is not? You even got a memo about the latter.

This is just the stuff that makes this site look...erm...let's just say "biased" at times.

It's not that big due to wildstar's sub fee. I know you can bypass the fee, but you have to pay money by default.

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317
    Originally posted by keirion

Wait, so you didn't have a problem with completely missing out on content if you didn't log in for it during the 2 week period over the entire previous year but if instead they have part of it persistent and part of it have a 'lock' if you missed logging on during its 2 week (or often longer) time period, you're fine with that?

that is such an excellent point.

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

Originally posted by Torvaldr

You're not being honest somewhere because you've said before you play WoW with your wife. I can't think of a bigger paywall than a $15/mo game access rental and a gated xpac fee. So which is it?

Your complaint is lazy and entitled. You can get it for free if you log in every two weeks or so (there was a break from September to November where you didn't need to log in at all) or you have to pay $2.50 (or farm gold in game to buy gems). So you don't want to pay or play for it. Did you expect that a one time fee would get you all the content updates? Your B2P bought the game. The content updates may or may not be extra. In this case ANet is giving you the option of which way you want to go, pay or play.

They are the ones that marketed their game as B2P. I paid and now I have a pay wall. Like I said I buy gems from time to time and items I think look cool. I have no problem supporting a game I am playing but adding a pay wall in front of content be it 2 bucks or 20 is not the smart move IMO. WoW's 15 buck sub has always been there. They sold their game letting people know from the start where and what things would cost. 

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

Most mmorpg you can log in anytime and experience the new content. I know the ones I play you can.

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • L0C0ManL0C0Man Member UncommonPosts: 1,065

Some things to put the play walls in perspective for those that don't know, so that each person can decide whether it's a deal breaker for them or not.

Yes, there is a pay wall. When seasons are live a new "episode" is released roughly every 2 weeks. You can check the dates of releases here: http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Release , the ones under "season 2" are the ones you'd need to pay for, the festivals (like halloween) are only live during the duration of the release. Here's how it works:

If you log in, even if it's for a min (as in, logging in and entering in one character) while the release is live, it's unlocked for any character in the account forever. This was made per player request since in season 1 a release was live for 2 weeks, if you couldn't log in or missed it, it was gone forever. If you don't log in during those 2 weeks it's live, you have to pay 200 gems to unlock the release

Most season 2 releases basically consists of instanced sections that advance the story (sometimes in areas that are also available in the open world, other times in areas that are for that instance only), and also new open world areas sometimes with unique mechanics, events and bosses on them. The instanced sections are gated behind the pay wall, but everything added or changed to the open world is unlocked for free for everyone.

First part of season 2 added a new area (Dry Top) with new bosses, a unique mechanic (a sandstorm that changed bosses and events for 15 minutes every 45 minutes) and a couple new armor skins you can get there: one backpack that you need to unlock episodes to complete, more info down there, and a scarf and googles skins that could be combined to another one that's basically both at the same time. Each release unlocked a little bit more of dry top until the whole map (so far) was released.

First release of season 2 added the Silverwastes area, a new area with a unique mechanic that works like the PvP in WvW, you have to capture and defend bases, and use supply ferried between (that you also have to protect) to upgrade and repair them, second release added a series of underground tunnels beneath it. Also added the first two pieces of a new set of armor (first full set added that you can get by PvE and not by using the gem store, previously they had only releases back pieces and bits and pieces of armor, not full sets), you need to unlock the episodes to get them.

You can still enter the instanced sections by grouping with someone that has them unlocked and joining them. This way you can see how the story unfolds, but you can't receive any rewards for it, so far there's one backpiece (mawdrey) you couldn't possibly get because you need items you get as rewards to craft it, and the shoulders of the carapace and luminescent armor sets (http://dulfy.net/2014/11/04/gw2-carapace-and-luminescent-armor-sets/) that were the rewards of the previous release, and the gloves too if you don't log in during current release (other pieces will be released in future releases). How easy or hard to find someone to do it can vary, some people say they've had a hard time to do it, the guild I'm on does regular living story runs for people that didn't unlock them, or want the achievements (you need to run the story a second time with the same character to get achievements).

You can buy gems with gold, currently 200 gems (the price of 1 episode unlock) costs roughly 34 gold, running a dungeon path (which can be as little as 10 minutes, or as long as 2 hours, depending on which path and whether the group knows what they're doing) can net you about 3g to 4 in average once a day if you sell everything you get from it. Alternatively you can pay, 10$ gets you 800 gems, or 4 releases.

The season 2 releases and new areas are for level 80 players (season 1 either were in low level areas of upleveled you to 80), so if you're starting new you'd still need to level a character to 80 to be able to do them.

Personally, yes, there is a pay wall, yes, it does suck you need to pay (gold of gems) to unlock if you missed it in the first place, but I do believe the price is small enough that is not that big of a deal and is a huge improvement from season where if you missed it, you missed it forever, but that's just me, and it's up to each person to decide for themselves whether they're ok or not with it, just laying out the facts of how it works so that people can make an informed choice.

What can men do against such reckless hate?

-snip-

They are the ones that marketed their game as B2P. I paid and now I have a pay wall. Like I said I buy gems from time to time and items I think look cool. I have no problem supporting a game I am playing but adding a pay wall in front of content be it 2 bucks or 20 is not the smart move IMO. WoW's 15 buck sub has always been there. They sold their game letting people know from the start where and what things would cost. 

Ok, so do not pay, by all means. Just run your dungeon dailies and you'll get enough gold in an evening or two to buy a chapter.

You don't like pay to play. Play to play then.

Originally posted by bcbully

Most mmorpg you can log in anytime and experience the new content. I know the ones I play you can.

You can do the same here with new open world content. It is the new personal story content that it is locked if you weren't there in the 2 week window in which it was released. If you didn't, you need to buy the chapter for 200 gems.

Here are some options to get 200 gems:

1) Buy 200 gems for like $2.5.

2) Do dungeons for like an evening or two. Buy gems with the gold earned.

3) Flip items in the trading post. Buy gems with the gold earned.

4) Grab around 30 gold from your savings. But gems with said gold.

Originally posted by Torvaldr
    Originally posted by GeezerGamer
    Yeah, I get it, some of you don't like that some players feel like ANET has made a course change in their business direction in an effort to increase monetization. You didn't feel like it or didn't see it in your game play? Well that's great. I'm jealous. (No, really, I am. I liked the game) But I did and I am not alone. there are plenty of threads on these forums and some of you are the same people who argued them months and weeks ago and you still want to argue them now. Well, I don't feel like arguing these points again.......and again.......and again. I quit GW2 as a result of feeling squeezed and no forum debate will bring me back. Only ANET can do that now. Honestly, it really wouldn't take much to do that either.

Seriously, who cares? I wouldn't try and convince you or anyone else they should play any game. My response to nanfoodle isn't that he should play, but that his complaint is silly. There are all sorts of options available, but they aren't giving it to you how you expect. To that I say, okay.

I can't think of another game right now that has paid content where I can get it for free by logging in, only charges $2.50 for an episode (that ends up being about 1/3 the cost of a sub per month) if you don't, or lets you buy it later with in game gold via the gem exchange.

Here is a list of games I can't do that: WoW, FFXIV, ESO, EQ2, DCUO, FFXI, Rift, Defiance, The Secret World, Age of Conan, UO, DAoC, Wildstar, SW:TOR, and I am sure this is a long list that could be added here.

I'm not asking, begging or trying to convince you to return and play GW2. I'm saying your complaint is unreasonable and not worth their time to address.

Look, I agree with you on one thing. You should not really care enough to respond to something like this. Nan posted his opinion, I agreed with him, maybe for somewhat different reasons, but in any case, I sounded back with my opinion on the game. And yet, here we are on 3 pages where most of this thread is now arguing about paywalls.  So obviously, not everyone thinks as you do in that regard.

As far as unreasonable? That's subjective. And if I decide a reason based on a direction turn regardless of how small the actual step taken in that direction is vaild, then it's valid.