Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

World of Warcraft: Subscriptions Soar Over the 10M Mark

13»

Comments

• RaquisRaquis Member RarePosts: 1,029

average game,only the curious and the fan boys keeping it alive.

when will the fan boys realise that if they keep on playing blizzard will not make a new mmo.

• HorusraHorusra Member EpicPosts: 4,411
    Originally posted by Raquis

when will the fan boys realise that if they keep on playing blizzard will not make a new mmo.

yeah..........image

• stevebombsquadstevebombsquad Member UncommonPosts: 884
    Originally posted by Raquis

Sure.... and you can take all of the active players from GW2, AOC, TSW, SWTOR, and TESO, and you will not even come close to equaling the active player base of WoW. The game makes over a BILLION dollars a year. I would say that they are doing quite well for an "average" game that only "fan boys and curious people" play.

James T. Kirk: All she's got isn't good enough! What else ya got?

• SuperDonkSuperDonk Member UncommonPosts: 759
    Originally posted by Whitebeards
    Originally posted by exhell
    Originally posted by Battlerock
    Proof that wow is the best and still is - Wow is the best mmorpg of all time. Congratulations WoW and to all of the wow community for being better than the rest.

I think you're getting popularity and quality confused. Sure it's proof that the game is popular, but the best, not so much. McDonald's is probably the most popular restaurant, does it mean it's the best? However,  I think your comment is meant to be sarcastic, in which case, I'd agree.

Mc donald is popular because it is cheap. That is it. Is WOW cheap?

And who says popularity and quality can not go hand in hand? and if WOW is not quality than what is? even the most die hard haters would tell you that WOW is one hell of a polished and quality game.

I'm sick of the McDonalds analogy. WoW is more like Apple, hugely popular with loud whiny critics.

If anything is fast food in the MMO world it is the F2P games. Wow is a premium product that doesn't have to worry about catering to broke gamers.

• WhitebeardsWhitebeards Member Posts: 778
    Originally posted by SuperDonk
    Proof that wow is the best and still is - Wow is the best mmorpg of all time. Congratulations WoW and to all of the wow community for being better than the rest.

I think you're getting popularity and quality confused. Sure it's proof that the game is popular, but the best, not so much. McDonald's is probably the most popular restaurant, does it mean it's the best? However,  I think your comment is meant to be sarcastic, in which case, I'd agree.

And who says popularity and quality can not go hand in hand? and if WOW is not quality than what is? even the most die hard haters would tell you that WOW is one hell of a polished and quality game.

I'm sick of the McDonalds analogy. WoW is more like Apple, hugely popular with loud whiny critics.

If anything is fast food in the MMO world it is the F2P games. Wow is a premium product that doesn't have to worry about catering to broke gamers.

Tell em about it. but i don't blame them. These people just read something what other said somewhere on forums and just copy paste it without even realising if it makes any sense or not.

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001

Tell em about it. but i don't blame them. These people just read something what other said somewhere on forums and just copy paste it without even realising if it makes any sense or not.

lol no content for a year/£100 of investment, followed by £39 for an expansion that gives 24 hours of content.  poor little sheepies getting their arses farmed, and they can't even see it.  Personally i would go with the macdonalds analogy.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

Yeah it still seems strange that only 3 mill of the 7 mill at the time decided to buy though. I don't know if that's a good sign for the next few months.

Are those global sales? If so I wonder how many were NA/EU purchases. 

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • L0C0ManL0C0Man Member UncommonPosts: 1,065
    Originally posted by bcbully

Yeah it still seems strange that only 3 mill of the 7 mill at the time decided to buy though. I don't know if that's a good sign for the next few months.

Blizzard Entertainment today announced that as of the first 24 hours of the expansion’s availability, more than 3.3 million copies had sold-through†

3 million is just the sales in the first 24 hours, not counting preorders or sales afterwards.

What can men do against such reckless hate?

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591

Ya I'm kind of tired of the Mcdonalds analogy too.

EH!

Just because Tim Hortons sells millions and billions doesn't mean they make a good coffee or doughnut. But if Wow was more like Starbucks they would have a more distinctive aroma ehem.. I mean game.

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• SaluteSalute Member UncommonPosts: 795
    Originally posted by L0C0Man
    Originally posted by bcbully

Blizzard Entertainment today announced that as of the first 24 hours of the expansion’s availability, more than 3.3 million copies had sold-through†

3 million is just the sales in the first 24 hours, not counting preorders or sales afterwards.

Also according to SBFord

"At their last investor meeting, Activision-Blizzard said they'd sold 600k -- that was in October, I think, which means more before actual launch day + the 3.3 sold ON launch day, that pushes it well over 4M. Given WoW was holding around 6.5M subscriptions, that's pretty impressive."

So, 4m + sales after launch day - until today. I see some really huge numbers here.

All Time Favorites: EQ1, WoW, EvE, GW1
    Playing Now: WoW, ESO, GW2

Huge?  the current wow population that pay subs bought the expansion - what did you expect?  Non-stagnation = enticing a new players in in with next gen evolution and quality.  To be happy with stagnation is to be happy with mediocrity.  Blizzard should be investing properly in WOW after 10 years - a new engine, a new world etc.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

• aftabbooaftabboo Member Posts: 67
    Originally posted by Bladestrom
    Huge?  the current wow population that pay subs bought the expansion - what did you expect?  Non-stagnation = enticing a new players in in with next gen evolution and quality.  To be happy with stagnation is to be happy with mediocrity.  Blizzard should be investing properly in WOW after 10 years - a new engine, a new world etc.

What you are suggesting is making a whole new mmo rpg not just a few character models and minor gameplay tweaks.

Blizzard already tried this with titan and failed.

Originally posted by aftabboo
    Originally posted by Bladestrom

What you are suggesting is making a whole new mmo rpg not just a few character models and minor gameplay tweaks.

Blizzard already tried this with titan and failed.

No im not, i'm suggesting a new engine and world. Think WOD, but this time the whole graphic engine is updated and you have 60 levels in months, not 10 levels in 24 hours.  Titan was benched because Blizzard can get more money from people by simply pumping out expansions with the same 10 year old engine year after year -  And that exactly what wow players are going to get.

• MauerickMauerick Member UncommonPosts: 8

What's the point of a new engine when everyone knows that Blizzard is going to keep its cartoony style for WoW, just as they have for the Warcraft IP since forever.

They already push the limits with this one and it still looks (imho) better than, or at LEAST as good as, other cartoony-style games like Wildstar, which came out only a year ago.