Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Whats really surprising

HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680
It would seem that alot of first time mmo players are trying this 10 year old game out. The new and returning player board is so busy. I even ran around with a group of new players ingame showing them around and answering questions for them.  Some never wanted to try an mmo but  saw the tv spot about boosting to 90. Which i told them not to hurry and do. Learn to play the class and explore the world first. Getting to 90 and not knowing what your doing would be bad. Some might listen. You never know. This really did surprise me. First time mmo players coming into the game.

Comments

• marremurtmarremurt Member UncommonPosts: 45
    thats good to hearing, the only thing im worried about is that joining a server WHOs 10 years old is actually only makes people quit, i have a feeling of that atleast.. since they dont make new server for fresh start it does not rly explain why new people would join a 10 year old server.
  • BoneserinoBoneserino Member UncommonPosts: 1,768

Yea, why would someone pick the one of the longest running and most popular MMO's as a place to start playing?

Makes no sense!

FFA Nonconsentual Full Loot PvP ...You know you want it!!

• AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149

it doesn't matter anymore does it?  I started on a new server recently only to find that it was "crossed over" or whatever with a well established server.  I don't think there are clean / fresh starts any more.  I could see people from the other server questing etc. and even the AH was shared I am pretty sure.

To OP:  That is great to hear :)

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

Its not only new players.... I havent played the last 3 expansions (despite buying them, but never got a character above 70... and there is so much new stuff for me.. and strange things to

Just found out today that my enchanting is quite useless these days (atleast thats what it feels to me) you can only add seccundary stats to rings, cloacks, necks and weapons... Enchanting armor seems removed from the game above level 90... and lower level enchants dont work on level90+ gear

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• ThornrageThornrage Member UncommonPosts: 659
    Originally posted by Hariken
    It would seem that alot of first time mmo players are trying this 10 year old game out. 

I have a friend who has refused to play WoW ever since it came out. He was not impressed with the graphics. I told him back during the Burning Crusade that he should atleast give it a month. Instead, he played every other MMO we played.

Well several of us came back a few months ago to prepare for the WoD expansion and he decided to finally give it a try "to see what the fuss was all about." He has now told me that he loves the game and wish he had tried it earlier.

So yeah, there are those who are playing for the first time. Some because they are just entering the MMO genre and others, like my friend, who have passed on WoW in the past and have finally decided to give it a try.

"I don't give a sh*t what other people say. I play what I like and I'll pay to do it too!" - SerialMMOist

• preachmorepreachmore Member Posts: 75
    Originally posted by Thornrage
    It would seem that alot of first time mmo players are trying this 10 year old game out. 

I have a friend who has refused to play WoW ever since it came out. He was not impressed with the graphics. I told him back during the Burning Crusade that he should atleast give it a month. Instead, he played every other MMO we played.

Well several of us came back a few months ago to prepare for the WoD expansion and he decided to finally give it a try "to see what the fuss was all about." He has now told me that he loves the game and wish he had tried it earlier.

that's my story too...

at the beginning i had City of heroes/villains.... that's all i needed from a game, i didn't bothered with other mmos

after the sunset i ventured in mostly all AAA mmos... i had my share of fun in most of them and some of them stuck on me and returning to them for fun periodically

finally the last month, i decided to try wow and i don't regret it... i have very good fun

i am amazed of how much i have to see and explore, the game is rich and well done, the atmosphere in zones and the soundtrack are great

i am not impressed from the combat and classes, but i don't dislike tem too

i already bought wod and 6 months sub

i don't know if i will stick in the end, because i am too old now to care about raids and gear grinding (although garrisons promise good max level activity in casual play), we will see

All-time fave : City of Heroes/Villains

Played and returning from time to time : GW2, Tera, CO

Played: Aion, Archeage, DCUO, FXIV:ARR, Rift, SWTOR, TSW, Vindictus, Wildstar

Playing atm : WoW, Hearthstone, Tera, GW2

• zytinzytin Member UncommonPosts: 202
    Yeah, I haven't played this game since I finished all the main quests in cataclysm and found that it was impossible to find pugs patient enough to let someone learn the boss fights.  Just logged in today and tried hopping on my lvl 84 enhancement shaman.  Much confusion.  I decided to get my feet wet with a new build until I get used to the completely different setup of the game.  
  • AthisarAthisar Member UncommonPosts: 666

So yeah, there are those who are playing for the first time. Some because they are just entering the MMO genre and others, like my friend, who have passed on WoW in the past and have finally decided to give it a try.

The graphics are one of the best things about WoW, it's not meant to be realistic but it's so consistent it wipes the floor with most of the competition.

• aftabbooaftabboo Member Posts: 67
    It would seem that alot of first time mmo players are trying this 10 year old game out. The new and returning player board is so busy. I even ran around with a group of new players ingame showing them around and answering questions for them.  Some never wanted to try an mmo but  saw the tv spot about boosting to 90. Which i told them not to hurry and do. Learn to play the class and explore the world first. Getting to 90 and not knowing what your doing would be bad. Some might listen. You never know. This really did surprise me. First time mmo players coming into the game.

This sounds like a hype (propaganda) thread with no substance at all.

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    Originally posted by Athisar

The graphics are one of the best things about WoW, it's not meant to be realistic but it's so consistent it wipes the floor with most of the competition.

I think WoD graphics are a lightyear better then the orriginal vanilla part of the game....

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    Originally posted by aftabboo

Well my 10 year-old is playing right now and is a higher level than I am. He's also a Guild Leader. He also gets more excited about accomplishments in the game than I do. He also tanks like a champ *tear*, and WoW is older than he is. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• ChrisboxChrisbox Member UncommonPosts: 1,729
    WoW has the most publicity out there, when people new to the genre think MMO they think WoW.  

Played-Everything
    Playing-LoL

• NetSageNetSage Member UncommonPosts: 1,059
    Originally posted by CrazKanuk

Well my 10 year-old is playing right now and is a higher level than I am. He's also a Guild Leader. He also gets more excited about accomplishments in the game than I do. He also tanks like a champ *tear*, and WoW is older than he is. 

Get this kid in dota(or whatever the next be esports game is) and make him a progamer :P.

• genuine1genuine1 Member Posts: 3

What he said. Propaganda.

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919

I don't think Hariken was hyping the game - just providing an observation. Is there any substance to suggest that there are a "significant" number of new players? (Individuals certainly can't tell.)

I think the key question is:

• "What percentage of the 2M extra were new players and what percentage were former subscribers?"
    And the follow on question I ask myself is:
    • "Why would a former subscriber come back on day 1 of WoD?".
    A week before, a month after sure - but day 1? Which makes me inclined to believe that there has been a large - as in c.2M - influx of new players geographically spread who knows how. Or about 1 in 5 - just my speculation though but at the end of the day the extra players are either a) totally new or b) returnees. One or the other.