Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

PyLOTRO Is Dead

EDIT: Thanks to the Linux LOTRO community, this issue has been solved. Here's a link to the official forums post with the new working version of PyLOTRO.

ORIGINAL POST: We all knew it was coming, and at last PyLOTRO is dead. You can't log into LOTRO in Linux with it anymore. Anyone have a workaround or alternate method of getting into the game for Linux based clients?

Comments

• TheGoblinKingTheGoblinKing Member UncommonPosts: 208

Well LOTRO has been going downhill for quite awhile so theres lots of other MMO's out there but...

If your really hard up on playing LOTRO just go buy yourself some bottom rung bargain basement laptop and hook it up to your monitor for playing LOTRO.

Or you could just make a windows partition and play but dual booting is a royal pain.

• aftabbooaftabboo Member Posts: 67

lotro was a hbo9rribly timed rpg that was released around wows peak.

As out dated as some would argue wow is today (and I agree btw) the way it decimated other mmos in its prime shows how genre breaking it really was once upon a time.

LOTRO never stood a chance at that time.

• iridescenceiridescence Member UncommonPosts: 1,552
    Originally posted by aftabboo

As out dated as some would argue wow is today (and I agree btw) the way it decimated other mmos in its prime shows how genre breaking it really was once upon a time.

That's your opinion. I prefer LOTRO release version to WoW. I think It was a better game but without Blizzard's marketing muscle and timing behind it. LOTRO has been going downhill though unfortunately. In 2007 it was great though...Made WoW look childish and silly by comparison.

• reeereeereeereee Member UncommonPosts: 1,636
    Originally posted by aftabboo

I dunno, it may be old but it didn't seem to have any problem rolling over Wildstar and ESO.

• UproarUproar Member UncommonPosts: 521

The problem with LOTRO had nothing to do with Wow and everything to do with a UI (at Launch) that was 2-3 years out of date. Not to mention combat that is a snooze fest.

I love everything LOTR.  I even like the world they built in LOTRO, but I could not stand to play the game for long stretches even though I tried multiple times to like it.

• DullahanDullahan Member EpicPosts: 4,536
    You first mistake is trying to play games on Linux.  If you want to play games you need to have another partition with at least xp or 7.

• GruugGruug Member RarePosts: 1,791

To me, LOTRO started going down hill shortly after it went "f2p". I played for some time after that but after the initial freeloaders left, the game started to slowly bleed players. Sometime during that time they lost their lead dev as I recall and that may have also added to the lackluster showing. Frankly, LOTRO was hands down much better then most mmo's in its time. F2p and poor development since have just hurt it.

Let's party like it is 1863!

• AcidonAcidon Member UncommonPosts: 796

And the actual point of the thread goes *WHOOSH* over half their heads.

*See GameName and Dead in Title, proceed to Quick Reply and GLOOM*

Best of luck with Linux.  I remember getting DOOM to run on it, back when DOOM was a thing and thinking I was pretty clever.  I've never really been able to take Linux that seriously over the years due to Windows pretty much having a monopoly on PC gaming.  I was, however, happy to see wine once again step up and return the gaming side of Linux to open-source.

• DrakephireDrakephire Member UncommonPosts: 451
    Originally posted by Acidon

*See GameName and Dead in Title, proceed to Quick Reply and GLOOM*

Haha, I was thinking the same thing. Thread goes from LOTRO Linux support to LOTRO itself dead in record time.

• OSF8759OSF8759 Member Posts: 284
    Originally posted by Acidon

In retrospect my thread title is to blame for that. I could have worded it better.

Thanks to those who responded on-topic (and thank you for actually reading the post lol). I guess I'll wait for the github to get updated and go from there. I'm no developer so these things are over my head. I could use a little break anyway.

Honorary shoutout to Torvaldr above who is absolutely right about the current state of Linux gaming. It's much better than most people realize.

Thank you for that Torvaldr, I'll try that.
  • Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    Originally posted by Torvaldr

Others like LotRO have spotty support and break often with updates, like this case.

Sorry for the derail, but I wanted to address the idea that gaming on Linux is relegated to simple titles from the 90s or bizarre unknown titles. Hopefully Steam OS can push this along.

No need to sorry, it was a great 'dreail' :) Nice list, luckily Linux is more and more viable for gaming as well (both natively or with wine) as the time goes.

I have to agree with the statement above, for Turbine Linux was always sorta "community supported" feature (in fact that's why I've never meddled with it, have a gear with Linux just for the fun but know a dude who's on Linux and he said in LotRO's case rather stay away from it...).

Also after updates not only the Linux version goes awry usually, but Win and Mac versions as well. The login issues Torvaldr mentioned in the other thread became so frequent after U15 that during the last week there were 1 big and 2 smaller outages (not because of login issues "by the letter", it was for OS update, maintenance, etc), last one was 2 days ago, and luckily now it seems fine and working. Probably the community will soon update the launcher for Linux too, as I see there was a post yesterday already on the thread Torvaldr linked above.

I edited the original post as my issue has been resolved, and hopefully this will help others having a similar issue. Thanks everyone!