Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Message signal interrupt need epicly slow lapic?wtf

drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856
OK just found out lapic is needed for MSI/x to work!am I miss understanding something.?guru3d user disable lapic because of its slowness

Comments

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383

I think it's safe to assume we are all missing something here.

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856
    Let's recap :window 8.1:

Direct memory access?not supported anymore ,reason?security!
    Direct cache access ?same.
    MSI/x use lapic (already MSI was very latency prone vs IRQ,
    Invariant tsc was not used properly till some on the web found out everything performed better if itsc was on still not properly used by os or whatever you can come up with

Its like ms intentionally slow down window 8 to make window 10 dx12 look fast.y
  • jdnewelljdnewell Member UncommonPosts: 2,237
  • drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856
    Originally posted by drbaltazar

Let's recap :window 8.1:

Direct memory access?not supported anymore ,reason?security!
    Direct cache access ?same.
    MSI/x use lapic (already MSI was very latency prone vs IRQ,
    Invariant tsc was not used properly till some on the web found out everything performed better if itsc was on still not properly used by os or whatever you can come up with

Its like ms intentionally slow down window 8 to make window 10 dx12 look fast.

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383

I think your confused.

Direct Memory Access (DMA) is still used in Windows 8.1

This allows devices like your hard drive to place data directly into RAM bypassing the CPU. It has not been disabled, and it works at the driver level.

It's true that programmers cannot directly access RAM any longer - for security reasons, but not in all Applications (i.e. items run in Compatibility Mode can still access, provided they get Administrator permission). But that doesn't mean that Windows doesn't use the same mechanism to access RAM as it did before - it's just now you need to go through a protected Windows API to do it - and all that API does is obscure the actual memory location to your program, it doesn't really do anything else.