Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I am surprised this game not more popular.

zaberfangxzaberfangx Member UncommonPosts: 1,796

I was just messing around last night to have a type of side game to play, so I ended up with this game, and it was easy to play and not over the top it, it run great having it all max setting.

Just wonder what happen to it.

Comments

• zonjimasenzonjimasen Member UncommonPosts: 32

1) The game is vastly different than its predecessor. Ragnarok 1, for the most part is a grinder game with minimal quests ( aside from jobs and such), and uses isometric camera and has a very distinctive aesthetic style (2d sprites). RO2, on the other hand, is a very run-on-the-mill and generic WoW clone, with super standard rails for zones and generic quests. RO2 also uses the standard 3rd person camera that all other mmo does, as well as using very sub-par 3d models that lacks redeeming quality or uniqueness to it.

2) In earlier attempt to port this to non-korea areas, SEA gets it first hand. Asiasoft handled it badly, (announcing IP block just right when they want to launch Open Beta, whereas the blocks were not implemented before. Its even worse since the IP block is only for 4 (4!) countries), and it pretty much made everyone bitter.

NA gets it port very much later, when the hype pretty much died due to the aftermath of SEA controversial port ( cash shop priority over testing purposes/fixes, well since this is OPEN BETA). Its even worse for the int crowd since the market for wow clone is already saturated as is.

It also has rather small market/ad.

3) The game flopped hard in Korea, where it is developed. Like super hard. Developments are shut down afaik, so no new contents (expansion, dungeons, patches and such). 

From what I understand, a sequel for Ragnarok Online was originally made under a different name ( Sword of the new world? i believe). It was deemed a little too different by the crowd and scrapped afterwards. From that point, I believe Gravity was rather having financial difficulty and opted to go for a quick cash grab and save money, and used a standard make-and-throw mmo model.

Scrapping an already made mmo and renewing the title is hard, case in point : FF14 ARR. FF14 succeeded probably because SE is rich enough to do it from scratch. 

DAOWAce
  • DarkVagabondDarkVagabond Member UncommonPosts: 340

RO2 is a terrible and lifeless generic Korean grinder layered with the skin of its tremendously superior predecessor.

It brings shame to the first game as well as disappointment to anyone who expected a real sequel.

You can pick any Korean MMORPG made in the last five years out of a hat and it will probably play just like what RO2 is.

DAOWAce
  • Sector13Sector13 Member UncommonPosts: 784
    Originally posted by DarkVagabond

RO2 is a terrible and lifeless generic Korean grinder layered with the skin of its tremendously superior predecessor.

It brings shame to the first game as well as disappointment to anyone who expected a real sequel.

You can pick any Korean MMORPG made in the last five years out of a hat and it will probably play just like what RO2 is.

western mmos have the same problem, we just waste more money on our clones.

• zaberfangxzaberfangx Member UncommonPosts: 1,796
    Originally posted by DarkVagabond

I played most Korean games, I don't know about grind yet, I am still leveling in it but the combat so far is not to much korean like I came in too, is not half bad so far but so far I will see if it is that bad when I get higher levels.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    I was just checking this out as i don't remember ever trying out R1 or R2.
    I was surprised that R1 seemed like it might be a pretty good game but idk what happened,maybe greed to make a new version that better catered to a cash shop seems most likely.
    I assume most R1 players loved that game and were very disappointed by the cheap remake of R2 and did not support it.

I noticed Aeria games shut down their servers/support ,a publisher whom like most will take on anything,so it tells a real story or failure.

I have seen a very definitive trend in these fast to market games that like the majority of mobile rpg games are simply trying to grind money rather than make a HQ game.Whenever i see ANY game with a card system,i immediately become skeptical and will likely not touch the game,so greed is imo going to hurt these publishers/developers more than they know if their design keeps me from wanting to even try the game.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• DAOWAceDAOWAce Member UncommonPosts: 432
    Pre-redesign, RO2 looked like it had a lot of potential.

But that development failed, and it was remade into yet another generic Korean MMORPG.

It wasn't worth playing on release and that hasn't changed one bit.  Surprised it's not shutdown by now.
  • itsoveritsover Member UncommonPosts: 353
    I was play it for about a years when it first came out, it was having alot of peoples, nice graphic, nice music and easy to play. since they switch to I think gamepark, alot has quit. I was thinking going back and play, but scare no one is playing, and there is some dungeon that require peoples to joint to beat.

• EthicZHEthicZH Newbie CommonPosts: 11
    I think it didn't work out either because a lot of Ragnarok Fans jumped on the Tree of Life Bandwagon. Which was a disappointed too, because the grinding was just too intense. Although I liked the game mechanics, it just didnt feel the same, even if they marketed it as aspirutal succesor