Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why Play WoW Again?

AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

Sorry for popping in here. I am not trying to be negative, just curious about why players do what they do :)

It amazes me that every time WoW releases an expansion, old players that stopped playing start up again. Why is this?

Is it because you have a high level character that you've spent years building and want to keep on building?

Is it because your WoW friends are returning?

Is it just to see the changes/new content in the game?

Is it a continuation on a monetary investment? ("I've spent so much, I feel I need to spend more to justify the previous expenditures.")

What is it that keeps old players returning to WoW for another dose of this game?

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
- FARGIN_WAR

Comments

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    The start of the expansion is where the questing/great story telling comes alive again, and is good quality. Aside from this there is one obvious factor, the gear reset.  3 months into an expansion and you will struggle to ever catch up, get in at the start of the race and you can keep up.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• DrunkWolfDrunkWolf Member RarePosts: 1,701
    Originally posted by AlBQuirky

Sorry for popping in here. I am not trying to be negative, just curious about why players do what they do :)

It amazes me that every time WoW releases an expansion, old players that stopped playing start up again. Why is this?

Is it because you have a high level character that you've spent years building and want to keep on building?

Is it a continuation on a monetary investment? ("I've spent so much, I feel I need to spend more to justify the previous expenditures.")

What is it that keeps old players returning to WoW for another dose of this game?

It was most peoples first MMO, so when they add new things players allways come back to check it out. You start seeing all the " back to wow " threads.

in a few months you will see the " why im quitting wow " threads. lol

but i guess having some fun for a few moths is better than nothing.

• aftabbooaftabboo Member Posts: 67

I think you hit the nail on the head with your explanation. I thnk the majority of these players have invested so mjuch of their lives into wow so far that they think if they cut it, they will lose out.

I think others are still hanging onto the wow glory days and some haven't fopund a good mmorpg to replace it.

Personally, I haven't found a  good mmorpg to replace it yet but I have found many modern games that aren't mmos that are better than wow so I quit wow especially after it got too casualed down for me.

On the upside, I have been looking for a good mmo rpg that is better than the non mmo games which are better than wow so I can go back to a mmo rpg and I think 2015 will be the year that's possible for me.

• EcocesEcoces Member UncommonPosts: 879

because there is no other good MMORPGs out there

i mean what are our alternatives?

Archeage? lol yeah right that game is a cesspool that is dying fast

Rift? WoW clone with a small playerbase

EQ2? an option but again a low playerbase and no cross server stuff

ESO? um no terrible game

Wildstar? again terrible dying game

there is nothing out there with the content and value that WoW has. so yeah i went back to WoW

• mrneurosismrneurosis Member UncommonPosts: 314

I stopped playing around Cata..reason? burn out. I played a lot really. After taking  long break and trying every other themepark MMO in market i am back to WOW again.

After my experiences with AA and ESO i think i will stick to WOW now till  a new MMO comes up that is worth my time and money.

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769

It is a negative and trolling.

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• FlawSGIFlawSGI Member UncommonPosts: 1,379
    Originally posted by mrneurosis

I stopped playing around Cata..reason? burn out. I played a lot really. After taking  long break and trying every other themepark MMO in market i am back to WOW again.

After my experiences with AA and ESO i think i will stick to WOW now till  a new MMO comes up that is worth my time and money.

^^  Same for me exactly. I know a chunk of my guild mates don't come back every expansion since a lot of us skipped MoP completely. After playing just about every MMORPG release and finding nothing to hold our attention, many of us came back due to the lack of another decent MMORPG. I am having a lot of fun at this time and WoW has a lot of content to do. Maybe by the time I start to feel the burn out again there will be another MMORPG to release that may be decent enough to give me an alternative. 

RIP Jimmy "The Rev" Sullivan and Paul Gray.

• ZorgoZorgo Member UncommonPosts: 2,254

Some return because they have a high level character - but not that many; WoW has this annoying habit of taking away the power of everything you accomplished in obtaining uber epics and immediately putting you back in green armor. Some return because friends are returning. Some because they want to see the changes and new content and few because of the monetary investment.

In addition, I suspect it is also because WoW expansions tend to be 'completed' within a few months, people get bored, quit, try different games and then return for the next expansion. They never really stop 'liking' WoW, they just finish the expansion and come back when there is a new one. They may say differently on the forums, but actions speak louder than words - and they do keep returning despite the rage quit that happens 3 months after an expansion releases.

Some of the returning has to do with WoW's quality and polish. After trying a variety of different games, people return to a sleek experience they feel comfortable with after bouncing around a bunch of games with a lower polish. It's always nice to know that WoW will deliver a smooth gaming experience, when compared to other mmo's on the market.

But in the end, I also believe it is because WoW is fun and entertaining - at least for a 3 - 6 month bursts. But like watching your favorite TV show in marathon on Netflix, sometimes you have to turn it off, so you can come back later and enjoy it.

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

Originally posted by waynejr2

Sorry for popping in here. I am not trying to be negative, just curious about why players do what they do :)It amazes me that every time WoW releases an expansion, old players that stopped playing start up again. Why is this?Is it because you have a high level character that you've spent years building and want to keep on building?Is it because your WoW friends are returning?Is it just to see the changes/new content in the game?Is it a continuation on a monetary investment? ("I've spent so much, I feel I need to spend more to justify the previous expenditures.")What is it that keeps old players returning to WoW for another dose of this game?
    It is a negative and trolling.
    How so? Am I condescending? Have I called players names? Have I belittled anyone? Or is it just because *you* feel that way?

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• maybebakedmaybebaked Member UncommonPosts: 305
    For me, part nostalgia and part fun. Yes, it can still be fun. I started playing 9 years ago and played with many real life friends, and met many new friends. Even if I stop playing for a while, I will come back and try out the expansions. It's like a movie you really like (Dumb and Dumber for example), has a sequel. No matter what I am going to watch it, even if everyone says it sucks. If they do it again, 20 years later, I am still going to watch it. It's new, but reminds you about another time in your life.
  • Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    Originally posted by Ecoces

because there is no other good MMORPGs out there

i mean what are our alternatives?

Archeage? lol yeah right that game is a cesspool that is dying fast

Rift? WoW clone with a small playerbase

EQ2? an option but again a low playerbase and no cross server stuff

ESO? um no terrible game

Wildstar? again terrible dying game

there is nothing out there with the content and value that WoW has. so yeah i went back to WoW

These are good alternatives, so are TSW, LOtro, Neverwinter, DDO, GW2, SWTOR, DCUO

and i keep switching between these games from time to time, all are fun, and as soon as they have enough new content i return to them, including WoW....  none of these are perfect, but all are good games.

If there was one game with enough content to keep me rolling i would be tempted to stay

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• Tracho12Tracho12 Member UncommonPosts: 136

None of the above, sir.

To steal a quote from someone else, 'WoW is like your spouse. It's not as pretty as it used to be but it is reliable. Whenever you're having a bad day and just want to kick up and relax, WoW is there to draw you a bath of orc blood and pour you a stout of dwarven ale".

It's just an overall solid game from top to bottom. I'm an old man now, I just want to kick up, drink a beer and slay some orcs. I'll leave the intense action combat, hardcore raiding, and PvP to the younger generation. They can have their MOBAs, they can their Survival shooters, they can have whatever the hell you want to call Wildstar and ArcheAge. Gimme WoW, gimme tab targeting, gimme rolling my face on the keyboard and still winning, and gimme a gosh darn beer .

• evdaezevdaez Member UncommonPosts: 131
    Why i played it again? Get my monk/druid/pala/priest healer to 100, do a couple of raids/5 mans, do 3s till i get a reasonable rating, wait for my title and quit.
  • TheAmazingDwarfTheAmazingDwarf Member UncommonPosts: 234
    Originally posted by Tracho12

None of the above, sir.

To steal a quote from someone else, 'WoW is like your spouse. It's not as pretty as it used to be but it is reliable. Whenever you're having a bad day and just want to kick up and relax, WoW is there to draw you a bath of orc blood and pour you a stout of dwarven ale".

It's just an overall solid game from top to bottom. I'm an old man now, I just want to kick up, drink a beer and slay some orcs. I'll leave the intense action combat, hardcore raiding, and PvP to the younger generation. They can have their MOBAs, they can their Survival shooters, they can have whatever the hell you want to call Wildstar and ArcheAge. Gimme WoW, gimme tab targeting, gimme rolling my face on the keyboard and still winning, and gimme a gosh darn beer .

Ah! Ah! Ah! Well said, Tracho! :)

My FFXIV ARR referral code for new EU accounts: 5JPF7ZQ3
    Step into the amazing world of Eorzea! Use this reference code on a new account and we'll both get goodies for it!

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100
    I think they play it because they enjoy the game.  There is no need to have reasons ,why does everything have to cut and up and examined. Are we so petty about other people's likes that we need to scrutinize and ridicule it to make ourselves feel superior ?
    Chamber of Chains
  • BailoPan15BailoPan15 Member Posts: 410
    Originally posted by cheyane
    I think they play it because they enjoy the game.  There is no need to have reasons ,why does everything have to cut and up and examined. Are we so petty about other people's likes that we need to scrutinize and ridicule it to make ourselves feel superior ?

Defensive a little bit aren't you? Nobody in this thread has yet scrutinized or ridiculed anyone. Even though I don't play WoW nowadays (and probably won't, very heavily invested in DAI/Gw2) I'm curious as to why people keep coming back. Its not the best story, not the best gameplay, not the most innovative graphics either. And my goal is not to feel "superior". It's the same like asking people who like jumping off of bridges, i personally wouldn't do that but people like it so i want to know what drives them. 

And toward this thread OP, i think its a mix of the reasons you game. And it's dynamic per person. Good points though! But I think you missed one more. I believe people feel stability in WoW. That their game wouldn't go away in the next X years. Which other game can say the same? Most other MMOs are financially underperforming and you never know when the publisher is going to pull the trigger with no notice. 

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100

I do not even play WoW so am not defensive for that reason I just find people who imply that there is something wrong with coming back to WoW do it to make fun of others.

Yes his meaning is clear. He considers WoW not worthy of playing and cannot get why others keep coming back so he is trying to find out why. 

People ask  questions like that not because they are curious but to tear it down .To tell you that your reasons make you a sad individual for coming back repeatedly to a product you find inferior. You gloat over the fact that you are not that dumb as that person who has come back. There is no other reason why feign curiosity when the real reason is incredulity.

Chamber of Chains
  • delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081

The bottom line :

1) All mmos suck at this point in time !

2) Curious of what once was !

3) Trying to be part of the big picture, and hoping for something to change that people will like !

4) Seems the majority here will play EVERYTHING !

I for one am not coming back because I have a better alternative that I can't talk about here :)

• BigbooBigboo Member Posts: 201

Its a game.

Its fun.

Its an MMO, playing with my guildfriends.

WoD is back to basic, back to old school Warcraft!

----

----

• adderVXIadderVXI Member UncommonPosts: 727
    Really why play any mmo or game at all?  Theres a big old world out there....

Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master.

George Washington

• MaeEyeMaeEye Member UncommonPosts: 1,106

Coming for an old school Ultima Online player, WoW is basically the best there is which is why I've been back for over a year now.

Ever since 2003 I have been looking for that 'next best thing' MMORPG and have literally jumped from MMO to MMO until 2013.  That's ten years for waiting for the best thing out there and most people do not realize that WoW is just that.  

Back in 2003 there were not that many MMO's to play and not a whole lot of them were coming out, so you had to wait for awhile to try something new.  That I did and as everyone else I played WoW when it released for a year or two and I didn't want to play in such a 'carebear' MMO.  So that's when I started jumping around, browsing forums waiting for the next best game.  Everquest 2 was suppost to be this greatest game ever and it was pretty awesome when it released, but after a couple of months I realized how much better Blizzard did with their game.  I remember trying Guild Wars, which filled a void for a bit, then waiting a year or so for Vanguard to only be upset with the uncompleted game, jumping to the Age of Conan bandwagon and absolutely loving the game until you realize how unfinished the level 20 and up world was.  In the meantime, Star Wars Galaxy died so no going back to that.  Games like Mortal Online and Darkfall just didn't do justice to what UO had really done to the genre.  Of course in the meantime I've went back and played Ultima over and over, probably a total of 15 times (give or take).  Went over and played on EVE Online, love the game but at this time in my lift I don't have the time to dedicate myself to such a hardcore game anymore.  Tera, Aion, and rift were either coming out or already out and I was in the beta for Rift.  Both games, while interesting and satisfactory, just had this Korean feel to it I just couldn't get into.

At this time I was giving up on MMO's, completely.  I was convinced that the genre does not cater to me anymore.  Having not played WoW since WoTLK my wife and I decided to pick it up and then it hit me like a bag of bricks.  This is the game that I have been looking for, for so long.  It had an outstanding art style.  Moving in the world felt real and you felt connected to the world (not just a character running on a plane created by people), the music was top notch, story was just astonishing and it worked with my lifestyle.  So since 2013, I stopped looking for that MMO and realized that WoW is it for me.  Yes, I miss Ultima Online like mad and wish everyday it was how it used to be, but I've came to peace with that being an era that has come and pass.

So there you go, that is my story as to why I play WoW.  Of course, do realized I did not put all of the game I've tried in there.  Elder Scrolls, WildStar, FF14 (Great game btw), Guild Wars 2, Star Wars Old Republic, The Secret World, LotR, Ryzom, DC Online (hated that game, hah) to name a few.

/played-mmorpgs

Total time played: 9125 Days, 21 Hours, 29 Minutes, 27 Seconds
    Time played this level: 39 Days, 1 Hour, 24 Minutes, 5 Seconds

Originally posted by Tracho12
    Originally posted by AlBQuirky Sorry for popping in here. I am not trying to be negative, just curious about why players do what they do :) It amazes me that every time WoW releases an expansion, old players that stopped playing start up again. Why is this? Is it because you have a high level character that you've spent years building and want to keep on building? Is it because your WoW friends are returning? Is it just to see the changes/new content in the game? Is it a continuation on a monetary investment? ("I've spent so much, I feel I need to spend more to justify the previous expenditures.") What is it that keeps old players returning to WoW for another dose of this game?

None of the above, sir.

I can totally understand this, and am jealous :)

But I have a feeling that you are not one of the millions of players that quit, buy the next expansion, play again for a month or so, and quit again. I have a feeling that you keep on playing and paying your sub. Good on you :)

- Al

- FARGIN_WAR

Originally posted by cheyane
    I do not even play WoW so am not defensive for that reason I just find people who imply that there is something wrong with coming back to WoW do it to make fun of others.Yes his meaning is clear. He considers WoW not worthy of playing and cannot get why others keep coming back so he is trying to find out why. People ask  questions like that not because they are curious but to tear it down .To tell you that your reasons make you a sad individual for coming back repeatedly to a product you find inferior. You gloat over the fact that you are not that dumb as that person who has come back. There is no other reason why feign curiosity when the real reason is incredulity.
    I think you misunderstood my OP. I am always curious about human nature. Since am unable to relate to players who do this practice, I am curious what motivates them. That is all this is, not some judgment or "making fun of" thing.

Never learn unless you ask, right?

- Al

- FARGIN_WAR

• zaberfangxzaberfangx Member UncommonPosts: 1,796

People play wow as a...

Addiction to the game..

Make money from the game..

Only place all there friends play...

Last part people just find it fun.

• mrneurosismrneurosis Member UncommonPosts: 314
    Originally posted by kairel182
    Originally posted by Bladestrom
    The start of the expansion is where the questing/great story telling comes alive again, and is good quality. Aside from this there is one obvious factor, the gear reset.  3 months into an expansion and you will struggle to ever catch up, get in at the start of the race and you can keep up.

I really don't understand why people say this.  WoW's storyline is almost entirely a single player experience with subpar graphics and story in every regard.  Not to mention it's pretty boring and nothing like the IP should deliver because of the silly changes from the RTS.  Other MMOs, like SWTOR and Secret World have vastly superior story telling when compared to MMOs, not even mentioning single player games that have AMAZING story telling when not even compared to WoW's terrible story.

The questing was never engaging to me, ever, in WoW.  The only amazing moments I had were raid bosses, mostly in vanilla and somewhat in BC, but anything after that was just rinsed and repeated.

Then again, I don't understand why anyone still plays WoW in general.  Single player games have vastly superior stories, co-op games have vastly superior cooperative play and multiplayer games (like TF2 or League) have vastly superior PvP with no cost of a monthly sub.  But hey, keep being part of the flock, right?

Maybe because it is the overall package and has many features which makes it a complete MMO? you really think people would play a MMO for 10 years just to be part of a flock? why insult people like that as if they can not even decide for themselves something as simple as 'what videogame to play to have fun'.

Moreover good or bad stories is entirely subjective to tastes. I loved TSW stories even though nothing unique (i have everything from H.P lovecraft). Same goes with SWTOR, nice but predictable stories however they won me over in presentation.

WOW stories on the other hand has always been goofy and silly and clearly the game doesn't take it too seriously like TSW.

In the end its matter of taste and one shouldn't be insulted for having different tastes.