Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Video Game Survey - Participants NEEDED!

Hello fellow gamers and non-gamers alike!  My name is Nickolas Jordan.  I'm an Assistant Professor of Marriage and Family Therapy at Appalachian State University (USA).  I'm studying how you engage video games (even if you don't play them much).  If you're interested in participating in research about video games and gaming habits, please take this survey.  Click on the link below to begin the survey.  It will take approximately 20 minutes to complete.  I am NOT trying to sell you anything.  You are not required to complete this survey nor will you be penalized in any way for not finishing.  Your answers are anonymous.  This study has been approved by the Appalachian State University Human Subjects Review Board (IRB).  If you have any questions or concerns you can contact me ([email protected]) or the IRB ([email protected]; 828.262.2692).  Again, to take the survey, click on the link below and follow the instructions.  If you know anyone else that may be interested in completing this survey, please forward the link.

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1UMRPPIbPxoMywHzBxwDoM4jwtIzpU9ZpOaCgtjVgOSE/viewform

I’ve always been interested in how video games—specifically online video games—impact relationship formation, maintenance, and termination.  If you’re interested in reading some of my other work involving video games before you take the survey, here are a couple references:

Jordan, N. (2014). World of Warcraft: A family therapist’s journey into scapegoated culture. The Qualitative Report. 19(31).

Jordan, N. A. (2012), Video games: support for the evolving family therapist. Journal of Family Therapy, 36: 359–370. doi: 10.1111/j.1467-6427.2012.00593.x

Thanks so much for your help!

Comments

• maybebakedmaybebaked Member UncommonPosts: 305
    How about you do a study about the positive affects of playing video games?  I made it through a few questions before the tone of the questions turned into the typical "Have you ever played a game and then beat someone" tripe. Sufficed to say I did not finish. Here's an idea. Study the affects of publishing scholarly papers on the arrogance of researchers.
  • MMORPGtesterMMORPGtester Member UncommonPosts: 96
    That is a long, frustrating and all over the place questionnaire. There was no one topic focus. However I still did it, Good luck with your grade.

• RaquisRaquis Member RarePosts: 1,029

I don't even play those games,and games have no effect on peoples criminal behaviour.

social and mental issues has an impact on behaviour,i don't have an issue with guns but I think America are a bit gun happy.

most people unfortunately don't respect or know how to use guns properly that why I a glad I was forced to do 2years military service in s.a and respect guns.

• AlumicardAlumicard Member UncommonPosts: 388

I made it to the 3rd dropdown.

Race? Really? Last time I heard that expression was in history class when we talked about world war 2.

• Ket_VilianoKet_Viliano Member UncommonPosts: 271
    Originally posted by maybebaked
    How about you do a study about the positive affects of playing video games?  I made it through a few questions before the tone of the questions turned into the typical "Have you ever played a game and then beat someone" tripe. Sufficed to say I did not finish. Here's an idea. Study the affects of publishing scholarly papers on the arrogance of researchers.

+1

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] UncommonPosts: 0
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • LiquidJordanLiquidJordan Member Posts: 5
    I totally understand your skepticism.  I would feel the same in your position.  I encourage you to, at the very least, read the abstracts of my previously published work.  
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004

OP, after reviewing your survey, i think its important that you divulge some important, and perhaps, just to put it into its true perspective, information, specifically.

When did you stop beating your wife?

Just to put your so called survey into its true perspective, im sure you understand image

• DrakephireDrakephire Member UncommonPosts: 451
    Originally posted by aftabboo
    Originally posted by Phry

OP, after reviewing your survey, i think its important that you divulge some important, and perhaps, just to put it into its true perspective, information, specifically.

When did you stop beating your wife?

Just to put your so called survey into its true perspective, im sure you understand image

[mod edit]

Actually not as trollish as you might believe. I attempted the survey too, but when I got to the long paragraph questions, I could see that all of them were what is called 'leading questions', as well as 'push-poll' questions. It read more like one of those political polls that state a premise without proof and then ask a question based on that false premise. For example: "Since President Obama has dissolved Congress, do you believe Americans should march on Washington?"

That's the sort of questions I found in this questionnaire. 

• faye01faye01 Member Posts: 64
    Originally posted by LiquidJordan

Hello fellow gamers and non-gamers alike!  My name is Nickolas Jordan.  I'm an Assistant Professor of Marriage and Family Therapy at Appalachian State University (USA).  I'm studying how you engage video games (even if you don't play them much).  If you're interested in participating in research about video games and gaming habits, please take this survey.  Click on the link below to begin the survey.  It will take approximately 20 minutes to complete.  I am NOT trying to sell you anything.  You are not required to complete this survey nor will you be penalized in any way for not finishing.  Your answers are anonymous.  This study has been approved by the Appalachian State University Human Subjects Review Board (IRB).  If you have any questions or concerns you can contact me ([email protected]) or the IRB ([email protected]; 828.262.2692).  Again, to take the survey, click on the link below and follow the instructions.  If you know anyone else that may be interested in completing this survey, please forward the link.

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1UMRPPIbPxoMywHzBxwDoM4jwtIzpU9ZpOaCgtjVgOSE/viewform

I’ve always been interested in how video games—specifically online video games—impact relationship formation, maintenance, and termination.  If you’re interested in reading some of my other work involving video games before you take the survey, here are a couple references:

Jordan, N. (2014). World of Warcraft: A family therapist’s journey into scapegoated culture. The Qualitative Report. 19(31).

Jordan, N. A. (2012), Video games: support for the evolving family therapist. Journal of Family Therapy, 36: 359–370. doi: 10.1111/j.1467-6427.2012.00593.x

Thanks so much for your help!

oh hi, i viewed the link you gave, though seems like informative just that never catches my interest. sorry i really never participated to any surveys like this but just wanted to ask why do do this? you said you're a family and marriage therapist  so why dont you go on a survey about the advantage, disadvantage, cos or prons on online game, i'm much meore interested on those. yeah i played but i always put some restriction on myself just that sometimes i can't control this habbit :) hope you don't mind saying all this..

• SiugSiug Member UncommonPosts: 1,257
    Started and quit because I don't play those games and never will. Also, it always offends me as a white, tall and proud North European when someone calls me Caucasian. Caucasian is American thing I guess but still. 
  • DarwaDarwa Member UncommonPosts: 2,181

I got as far as the first dropdown.

If the survey author doesn't know the difference between sex and gender, then there's no reason to believe that they could use any data in a worthwhile manner.