Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

WoD expansion actually worth playing? Or just hype?

SarandSarand Member UncommonPosts: 17

Hey guys,

So I have never played WoW and with the downfall of Hackage I am looking for something to do during the PoE between league downtime as well as just something to have as an alternative. I was part of the DAoC crowed when this game first came out. 

I have been searching the web for articles and reviews on the game and have found many positive ones. The thing is, is the articles seem to be written by fanboys themselves.

I was hoping you guys could help shed some light on this expansion for me. Is it really worth investing into and playing or is it just the fanboy hype going around right now? Just one thing to note: playing just to say I have experienced WoW is not a good reason :)

Comments

• MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
    If you like themepark questing, WoW is the best there is, by far.  I thought I was burnt out on questing until I got this expansion.  I'm really enjoying it, taking my time.
  • KopogeroKopogero Member UncommonPosts: 1,685

OP, WOW is still a great option for a MMORPG. You can't go wrong with it by purchasing. The questions thought remains:

Are you really that bored and incapable to find alternative products to keep yourself entertained to blow this cash, which is around $30 monthly for the first four months (if you choose to sub and get the expansion). A lot of things are different in 2014 and I know just like you in less than 3 weeks I'll be enjoying the new Path of Exile hardcore league.

I already got another FPS and some single player games and one MMORPG on a private server I could kill time on for my gaming needs. Then you got all other things beside gaming for entertainment. See it like this, if you won't regret throwing $110 USD on the street year from now, then go with WOW:WoD. It will help you kill some of the gap you have to kill the free time, but that's all it will do.

Blizzard will need to do a lot...more to resurrect their game and cutting the cost is one way to attract bigger player base.

• ForgrimmForgrimm Member EpicPosts: 3,059
    As MightyUnclean said, WoW has the best themepark content that you're going to find out there. They've really hit a homerun with this expansion. And that's evident in the numbers: subs are back up to 10 million, over 3.3 million copies of WoD sold on day one, before the game was even released in the Eastern market, it's crazy. I'd highly recommend it.
  • furbansfurbans Member UncommonPosts: 968

My impressions are meh so far with the expansion.

Content is pretty much a cakewalk, no real challenge and classes are prettty simplified.  At least for the mage.

You get gear at a ridiculous rate and essentially welfare drops off rares as they really aren't rares as it just take a few min for respawn and as long as you dmg the mob you get the static loot off the rare.  It amazing the change when it comes to self entitlement.  Actually had guildies complaining about when Bliz ninjaed in briefly the old need/greed rolls in a dungeon and bitching how they should get a drop every time they step foot in a dungeon.

Garrisons people are raving on about which I'm finding very lacking.  Crafting is centered on private mines for ore and gardens for herbs.  You can craft other professions, like the epic items in tailoring but can't get the upgrades which upgrades compete with raid gear, and the really gutted the professions as it revolves around work orders at you garrison.  Pretty much their shoving garrisons down our throats and really its nothing more than a time sink of dailies of Farmsville.

Game still feels the same more or less but with more of a solo vibe with all the phasing and instancing.

People are jumping on the hype band wagon like with every new MMO.  Sure its a lot better than MoP which isn't saying much and I skipped Cata.  Certainly not better that Wrath or TBC imo.

If you want an on rails themepark that feels more like a single player game with multiplayer features then yeah the game might be worth the distraction.  If you are of the crowd that wants the old MMO feel then this certainly won't be the game for you.  There are alternatives like Rift or Wildstar or ESO.  Wildstar has more of the grind group content chanllenge feel though but their studio is going down the crapper it seems like.  Shame really as it would be great if we had more diversified options for MMOs.

If you never played WoW then definately a good game to get into, more so if you're not burned out on Themepark MMOs.  Which is likely my issues with WoW boils down to.

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    Play the trial. Virtually no limit to the races and classes and you can create lots of characters. It will give you a much better idea than forum replies and may even tide you over!
  • MensurMensur Member EpicPosts: 1,507
    Originally posted by Sarand

Hey guys,

So I have never played WoW and with the downfall of Hackage I am looking for something to do during the PoE between league downtime as well as just something to have as an alternative. I was part of the DAoC crowed when this game first came out. 

I have been searching the web for articles and reviews on the game and have found many positive ones. The thing is, is the articles seem to be written by fanboys themselves.

I was hoping you guys could help shed some light on this expansion for me. Is it really worth investing into and playing or is it just the fanboy hype going around right now? Just one thing to note: playing just to say I have experienced WoW is not a good reason :)

If i were you mate.! I would give it a go.. i can also send you an invite if you would like!

mmorpg junkie since 1999

• seafirexseafirex Member UncommonPosts: 419
    Originally posted by Kopogero

OP, WOW is still a great option for a MMORPG. You can't go wrong with it by purchasing. The questions thought remains:

Are you really that bored and incapable to find alternative products to keep yourself entertained to blow this cash, which is around $30 monthly for the first four months (if you choose to sub and get the expansion). A lot of things are different in 2014 and I know just like you in less than 3 weeks I'll be enjoying the new Path of Exile hardcore league.

I already got another FPS and some single player games and one MMORPG on a private server I could kill time on for my gaming needs. Then you got all other things beside gaming for entertainment. See it like this, if you won't regret throwing $110 USD on the street year from now, then go with WOW:WoD. It will help you kill some of the gap you have to kill the free time, but that's all it will do.

Blizzard will need to do a lot...more to resurrect their game and cutting the cost is one way to attract bigger player base.

1 thing to clarify in this post is the fact that it does not cost 30$ monthly to play. It is 15$ monthly to play. Sure you say 30$ for 4 months because you add the cost of the xpac in it.

If you buy the game in this case it is 20$ to get all the xpac up to WOD ( level 1 to 90 ) and it gives you also a 30days free gametime in it.

Then if you like the game you then buy the WOD xpac if you wish to get up to level 100 that cost 49.99$ but this one does not include any free time but they do give you a free level 90 boost to use on a new or existing character that can also boost you 2 primary profession and your first aid from 1 to 600 if you boost a existing character that is level 60+.

The thing is is if you never played the game before then it cost a bit more to get into it then a existing customer that quit for a few months or a year ago because they still have an account with the previous xpac in it, so they only buy the wod xpac + a 15$ monthly sub and get right into it . Also if you never played then you will like the quests etc and also it is now easy mode for everything even dungeons are jokes to go true and you level so fast you wont even have to paly all day to get to level 90 then you jsut need to jump into wod if the game still interest you. Also if you have a friend that can send you a scroll you can use that to level up with him and get free levels.

• SarandSarand Member UncommonPosts: 17

thanks for the feedback guys :) Lot of good information on the pros vs cons of the game. 

@searfirex the cost isn't a problem and it would be a game I would play for more then just three weeks. It would be something I would continue to play even into the new PoE league.

@Mensur - what does an invite provide? 

• Varex12Varex12 Member CommonPosts: 357

Worth playing.  

With the addition of the garrison feature, there almost seems to be too much content at times.  Can feel almost overwhelming.  Never a bad thing, IMO.  

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

Sure if you like old games with outdated combat, graphics and the same old quest/token grind, gear treadmills.

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • mrneurosismrneurosis Member UncommonPosts: 314
    Originally posted by bcbully

Sure if you like old games with outdated combat, graphics and the same old quest/token grind, gear treadmills.

Or you can play new games with flashy action combat and beautiful graphics while it sucks at everything else..example ESO.

OP if you have never played a WOW before you can buy it for 60 something bucks which gives you access to base game plus all expansions upto Draenor with 30 days game time included.

I got one for my cousin yesterday. Very good deal for new players.

"TSW is the best MMORPG."

"Age of Wushu is the best MMORPG."

"ESO is the best MMORPG."

OP, might want to avoid listening to this guy.  His entire persona is based on trashing other games that he doesn't play.  

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Originally posted by Varex12

OP, might want to avoid listening to this guy.  His entire persona is based on trashing other games that he doesn't play.  

and who are you?

I played WoW for 5 years raiding 5-6 nights a week in a world 300 guild as a top 20 world lock. WoW was great. It's old now. It is outdated. You will grind tokens for an every 4 month gear treadmill. The same old same, plus garrisons....

edit- I was wrong about TSW, atleast for me. The pvp was aweful...

edit- This is rich coming from a guy who puts Wildstar in his top 3 games.

"*Wildstar has the ability to move into the Top 3 at some point depending on content updates."

"I thought Wildstar was one of the most unique, refreshing and better-made themeparks to come across in years"

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • huntersamhuntersam Member UncommonPosts: 210
    i have got the expansion but i am waiting for the massive crowd to move up a bity , however i always seem to return to wow because every other mmo i hve tried always seems rough around the edges for me compared to wow 
  • rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870
    Originally posted by gervaise1
    Play the trial. Virtually no limit to the races and classes and you can create lots of characters. It will give you a much better idea than forum replies and may even tide you over!

Hey OP, this right here.  WoW has an "unlimited" trial that will allow you to play every class and race up until level 20.  Though level 20 shouldn't take long, like maybe 5-10 hours depending on how you play.  That will be enough to give a small taste on it's combat, look, and feel of the game.  I would do that before dropping any cash first.  Maybe the people who are saying stay away are right or maybe the people saying go ahead are right.  If anything though, at least give the trial a shot first.

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

Got to level 20 in the trial and enjoyed my class, enhancement shaman, quite a lot. Leaning a bit more towards purchasing it but still hesitant. Mostly because as of late the track records for MMOs have been horrible. Wildstar, Archeage, etc. Guess I a m more worried of just paying for another game that will just end up sitting on my shelf. With the track records maybe it is time to give the bandwagon a try. I have heard they made the content more challenging so that is encouraging, one reason I have always stayed away in the past was b/c i hear it was facepalm to win.

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591

Got to level 20 in the trial and enjoyed my class, enhancement shaman, quite a lot. Leaning a bit more towards purchasing it but still hesitant. Mostly because as of late the track records for MMOs have been horrible. Wildstar, Archeage, etc. Guess I a m more worried of just paying for another game that will just end up sitting on my shelf. With the track records maybe it is time to give the bandwagon a try. I have heard they made the content more challenging so that is encouraging, one reason I have always stayed away in the past was b/c i hear it was facepalm to win.

Sadly the leveling game is a facepalm. It's really a shame as the content it contains is some of the best ever made.

PvP is always a blast  and the dungeons don't get very challenging until you reach cap

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• doodphacedoodphace Member UncommonPosts: 1,858
    Originally posted by Kopogero

Ya, Blizzard will need to do a lot more to ressurect their 10 year old MMO, which happens to have 10 million subscribers.

...What a dead game WoW has become.../s

Looking for WoW feedback on MMORPG.com, home of the in denial niche wanna be mainstream gang, is like asking BP if global warming is legit...

Originally posted by laserit

Sadly the leveling game is a facepalm. It's really a shame as the content it contains is some of the best ever made.

PvP is always a blast  and the dungeons don't get very challenging until you reach cap

well leveling in ever MMO as of late has been pretty facepalm :P 

• emistzemistz Member Posts: 54

It's pretty horrible in general.  More of the same B.S. that we have grown to expect from Blizz. It seems with every new expansion the game becomes more and more e-z mode. 

I wish WoW would return to its roots at some point and become a half-decent game again.

Originally posted by Varex12

and who are you?

I played WoW for 5 years raiding 5-6 nights a week in a world 300 guild as a top 20 world lock. WoW was great. It's old now. It is outdated. You will grind tokens for an every 4 month gear treadmill. The same old same, plus garrisons....

edit- I was wrong about TSW, atleast for me. The pvp was aweful...

edit- This is rich coming from a guy who puts Wildstar in his top 3 games.

"*Wildstar has the ability to move into the Top 3 at some point depending on content updates."

"I thought Wildstar was one of the most unique, refreshing and better-made themeparks to come across in years"

Yup, and I still stand by those comments.  I bet you can't stand by yours.  

You add nothing to any subject other than pulling little negative bits of info off the internet for any game that you DON'T play. Meanwhile, the game you DO play has enough negative hype around it to sink a ship.  

Unfortunately, people like you are unable to just enjoy whatever game you are playing without trashing games that others are playing.  You act like if another game is popular, it takes away from your game.  So it's important to let everyone in the world know that you made the correct gaming choice and they didn't.  

You've got no credibility whatsoever.  

• CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    Originally posted by emistz

It's pretty horrible in general.  More of the same B.S. that we have grown to expect from Blizz. It seems with every new expansion the game becomes more and more e-z mode. 

I wish WoW would return to its roots at some point and become a half-decent game again.

*yawn* Oh, another informative, insightful, and well-supported post. Oh wait, no it's not. 

Bcbully isn't wrong. WoW is a game that is very much a treadmill, but that isn't to say that's not what you're looking for either. I would have a difficult time giving you a handful of games today that wasn't a grind in some way. The challenge of PvE itself isn't all that compelling. Endgame content is appreciably more difficult, and they've amped that up even. The story and lore is second to none. If you're looking for deep story, it's great. WoD actually takes a step back towards the original WoW as far as the mood and theme of the story. Execution of that story is also superior to most, if not any, other games out there. 

If you haven't played it, you could probably level a toon from 0-90 in 3-6 days playtime. Or just get the express ticket to 90 and start off with WoD. Either way, it's worth the price of admission if you've never done it before. After 5 or 6 years you will have earned the scars and stripes to be able to call it a treadmill, but ultimately it's still a superior game in many aspects. 

Graphics are out-dated, but you'll probably find them acceptable. I always turn graphics down anyway in favour of performance. Actually, WoW manages to make a lot of 2D textures look better than many 3D MMORPGs, so given that they've got lemons, they do make some pretty sweet lemonade. 

It's a well-written game with lots of activities, a healthy community, and a polished product. If you're looking for something that's cutting-edge or pushing boundaries as far as gameplay, etc. is confirmed, look elsewhere. It's nothing really new .That being said, they do everything well. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• SquishydewSquishydew Member UncommonPosts: 1,107

I'm absolutely in love with WoD, but theres no real challenge to be found.

Healings more difficult then before, but I've only tried at low iLvLs and I'd imagine that evens out later on.

• whisperwyndwhisperwynd Member UncommonPosts: 1,668

WoW has always been great at what it does.

If you can see yourself enjoying what it is, then every expansion brings something new and fresh to experience.

Ultimately, only you'll be able to answer if it is something you can stay with long-term.