Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

WoW Now Has Over 10 Million Subscribers

14567810»

Comments

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    Originally posted by aftabboo
    Originally posted by Bladestrom

@aftaboo

They have not 'failed' just because you 'admit' your opinion about them.   As far as my personal opinion, GW2 Is a brilliant game and has a great balance between PVP and PVE and no 'ANAL' jokes to be seen in chat!  As for ESO, that game has moved forward a ton since release and in my opinion offers the best levelling experience of any MMO to date and is actually getting regular significant content releases.

Nah, I got to agree with phyrs about them. they failed. they have terrible numbers and gws idea of structured pvp making all pve irrelevant, getting rid of any competition in character building, any competition in gearing or levels, effectively turns guild wars 2 into a glorified moba where you don't have to gear, you don't have to level, you don't have to pve at all lol and you don't have any consequences for bad building.

Its pvp is ruined for that reason and as you don't need to do any pve, its pve is ruined.

A game does not fail because you personally don't like a game or agree with another player that doesn't like a game.  A game fails when it can no longer cover its player base by maintaining the servers and providing new content and has to shut down.  People I play with in both games like the PVE and PVP that is to offer.  The fact is they are succeeding to make enough profit to do both.  Maybe focus less on numbers and thrones.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• aftabbooaftabboo Member Posts: 67
    Originally posted by aftabboo

@aftaboo

They have not 'failed' just because you 'admit' your opinion about them.   As far as my personal opinion, GW2 Is a brilliant game and has a great balance between PVP and PVE and no 'ANAL' jokes to be seen in chat!  As for ESO, that game has moved forward a ton since release and in my opinion offers the best levelling experience of any MMO to date and is actually getting regular significant content releases.

Nah, I got to agree with phyrs about them. they failed. they have terrible numbers and gws idea of structured pvp making all pve irrelevant, getting rid of any competition in character building, any competition in gearing or levels, effectively turns guild wars 2 into a glorified moba where you don't have to gear, you don't have to level, you don't have to pve at all lol and you don't have any consequences for bad building.

Its pvp is ruined for that reason and as you don't need to do any pve, its pve is ruined.

A game does not fail because you personally don't like a game or agree with another player that doesn't like a game.  A game fails when it can no longer cover its player base by maintaining the servers and providing new content and has to shut down.  People I play with in both games like the PVE and PVP that is to offer.  The fact is they are succeeding to make enough profit to do both.  Maybe focus less on numbers and thrones.

Ok lets give you a bone then. lets say its not very successful then and you are entitled to your opinion but a mmorpg which removes any need to do any pve, any need to level, any need to gear and any need to make sure your build is right is a fail in my book which explaines why its not 'very successful.'

Structured pvp is the single worst thing to happen to any mmorpg by making a mmo rpg into a moba without any need for the things I listed above. Since its makes mmo rpg pvp pointless and turns it into a moba and makes pve useless since you don't have to do any pve at all  (yes guys that's 0), its no wonder it doesn't appeal to people who want a complex pvp game or a mmo rpg where guess what you have to pve as it is an rpg.

edit: on 2nd thought even a moba has more complex pvp than 'structured pvp' in gw2 because at least then you have to level during matches and you need to build right the 1st time during matches and can gear. So GW2 removes the need for all or any pve and its pvp isn't even a moba since levels, gear, doing pve, professions and having to get your build right don't matter since you can instant respec.  So why play a rpg where you don't need to do any rpg elements??? in either pve or pvp.

your still trying to explain why you don't like these games, other people like it enough that the game is a success.  Not every game on the planet needs to have damage meters and increases in power every 5 minutes and the ability to 1 shot new players to make it fun.  I bet new players agree with that too lol.  Horses for Courses.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

• Ramonski7Ramonski7 Member UncommonPosts: 2,662
    I've been at this mmo game for a long, long time and despite my past mmo history and despite what I'm currently enjoying, I'm heading back to WoW soon. Hell the wife even wants a new PC to break in this expansion. Kudos to Blizzard for delivering a expansion that will bring back 2 players that haven't played in 3 years.

"Small minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas."

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860
    Originally posted by acal83
    You guys act like this is the most popular game in the US. Its not. Out of the 7.5 million subscribers 1 million are from europe. 1.5-2 million are from North America and the rest (4+ million) are from Asia. The Chinese MADE world of warcraft what it is today. Thank your chinese friends for making it the biggest mmo. Because not a lot of americans are playing it...

Hello and welcome "new" forum member.

To me it doesn't matter where the folks playing are from, the game has the most players in the genre. Numbers don't really matter unless there aren't enough people to play, and currently it is leading the way. It was the top in 2013, and now with WoD it will more than likely easily remain that way. :)

edit: China has 1.357 billion people, while the United States has 316 million. That may help your numbers if it still really matters to you. /shrug

Easier to understand is China has a billion more people, so of course the numbers will reflect that. 

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• Varex12Varex12 Member CommonPosts: 357
    You guys act like this is the most popular game in the US. Its not. Out of the 7.5 million subscribers 1 million are from europe. 1.5-2 million are from North America and the rest (4+ million) are from Asia. The Chinese MADE world of warcraft what it is today. Thank your chinese friends for making it the biggest mmo. Because not a lot of americans are playing it...

More Americans are playing it than any other MMO in the world.  What exactly is your point? 

• Colt47Colt47 Member UncommonPosts: 549

I'm really not getting why so many people are hating on World of Warcraft at the moment.  The last two expansions were definitely the low points of the game, but Warlords of Draenor is probably one of the better expansions they have had thanks to returning to the core aesthetics of the series and adding gameplay that fits the setting.   I'm debating restarting my account and going with a jump start to level 90 with a priest or something interesting.  Final Fantasy XIV ARR right now has such a lack of agency in the end game story that it doesn't feel like it's worth playing at the moment.

The number flaunting is a bit tiring, though.  Most of the games revenue is coming from subscribers in North America and Europe, where as China uses a different payment model that is highly variable.  

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860
    Originally posted by Colt47

I'm really not getting why so many people are hating on World of Warcraft at the moment.  The last two expansions were definitely the low points of the game, but Warlords of Draenor is probably one of the better expansions they have had thanks to returning to the core aesthetics of the series and adding gameplay that fits the setting.   I'm debating restarting my account and going with a jump start to level 90 with a priest or something interesting.  Final Fantasy XIV ARR right now has such a lack of agency in the end game story that it doesn't feel like it's worth playing at the moment.

The number flaunting is a bit tiring, though.  Most of the games revenue is coming from subscribers in North America and Europe, where as China uses a different payment model that is highly variable.  

It's been one guy with multiple accounts making multiple threads. 

I agree with the rest of your post as well. I was playing before WoD launched and like many had several 90 characters. However, I was leveling a Paladin at the time and had him at 67, and decided to jump him to 90. I'm sure you have read up and that you need to get a character to 60 if you can so you can cap your crafting skills. To me it has been the best expansion of them all. Anyway, good luck in your decision!

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• loulakiloulaki Member UncommonPosts: 944

Well its like Michael Bay's movies. Yes they are successful nobody doubts, all of them blockbusters. But as movies they are bad and they push other film makers to copy them. This has a result other god movies don't get much attention or receive bad critics cause of their bad performance in tickets.

That's why gamers hate WoW, they hate it in the same way those who like cinema hates the Transformers and Spiderman's movies ...

• RhinotonesRhinotones Member UncommonPosts: 250

Prediction.

Their next expansion will be released within weeks of the World of Warcraft movie.

• GestankfaustGestankfaust Member UncommonPosts: 1,989
    Originally posted by Rhinotones

Prediction.

Their next expansion will be released within weeks of the World of Warcraft movie.

^This

And somehow...they'll have 10 million subs anyway

"This may hurt a little, but it's something you'll get used to. Relax....."

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Originally posted by loulaki

Well its like Michael Bay's movies. Yes they are successful nobody doubts, all of them blockbusters. But as movies they are bad and they push other film makers to copy them. This has a result other god movies don't get much attention or receive bad critics cause of their bad performance in tickets.

That's why gamers hate WoW, they hate it in the same way those who like cinema hates the Transformers and Spiderman's movies ...

Firstly you only speak for yourself, and not for 'gamers' and secondly, if gamers hated WoW, then there wouldn't be currently over 10 million of them playing the game image

• GanksinatraGanksinatra Member UncommonPosts: 455

Let me put this to bed so newtextdocument and his 18 alt accounts can stop posting. 

1. Blizard and its parent company are both publicly held companies

2. This means that releasing false data pertaining to potential earnings is against both federal law and SEC regulations

3. Therefore, if Blizzard releases a statement saying they have 10 million subs, you can damn well better believe it, because falsely bragging about such things can lose you more money than you made at launch

That about sums it up. 

• mrneurosismrneurosis Member UncommonPosts: 314
    Originally posted by loulaki

Sorry but that analogy makes absolutely no sense. You watch a movie for an hour and a half and get done with it. Where as MMOS are long term investment. 

First objective  of games is to entertain people. You make it sound as if having 'fun' is a bad thing. 

• OziiusOziius Member UncommonPosts: 1,406
    Originally posted by Havekk

Without commenting on the ridiculous horseshit I have read in this thread, I will leave you withink this. You can tell a lot about a game that can still cause these kind of love/hate arguments in year 10. The people who seem to hate it have a passon to hate it lol. That's saying a lot when most of the newer mmos that were going to dethrone wow are on life-support at best.

Now, have fun arguing. I was reading this on the can, but now I'm off to play more WoW. This garrison won't build itself. For the haters, have fun being miserable. Sounds like some of you deserve it lol.

ESo is not on life support, GW2 is not on Life support, SWTOR is not on life support to name a few (qualify has horseshit?)Ask yourself this while you sit on your 'throne' playing your mini game waiting for Blizzard to release your first couple raid bosses  If WOW released today would we consider it a suitable standard for 2014?

I would. Would I be playing it otherwise? Would I play a game and say, hey, this is a suitable game for 2007, but not for 2014.. LOL. I don't say things like that at all. I juts play games that I find to be fun. If you like all those other games you mentioned, go play them.  

• CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    Originally posted by Gestankfaust
    Originally posted by Rhinotones

Prediction.

^This

And somehow...they'll have 10 million subs anyway

This! But not 10 million subs, they'll probably have 30 million subs due to the movie crowd :) 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    Originally posted by Ganksinatra

Let me put this to bed so newtextdocument and his 18 alt accounts can stop posting. 

1. Blizard and its parent company are both publicly held companies

2. This means that releasing false data pertaining to potential earnings is against both federal law and SEC regulations

3. Therefore, if Blizzard releases a statement saying they have 10 million subs, you can damn well better believe it, because falsely bragging about such things can lose you more money than you made at launch

Essentially correct - Activision Blizzard are the publically traded company of which Blizzard Entertainment are a "financially significant" division; hence it would be illegal to release false data.

And if you look at the end of the press release it actually contains a disclaimer - probably reflecting the fact that a lot of people have just returned and may not stick around. So basically if numbers drop back to 7M or whatever after Christmas they advised investors. For the stated date however and the stated definition of subscriber this is the number.

• furbansfurbans Member UncommonPosts: 968
    Originally posted by Amjoco

Hello and welcome "new" forum member.

To me it doesn't matter where the folks playing are from, the game has the most players in the genre. Numbers don't really matter unless there aren't enough people to play, and currently it is leading the way. It was the top in 2013, and now with WoD it will more than likely easily remain that way. :)

edit: China has 1.357 billion people, while the United States has 316 million. That may help your numbers if it still really matters to you. /shrug

Easier to understand is China has a billion more people, so of course the numbers will reflect that. 

Is a game the adopts other game's features really leading the way?  With the exception of flex raiding there isn't a single feature that WoW has developed that isn't an adaptation from another game.  Garrison are blatant copying and catching up to the times.

If we want to compare sub numbers. Let's do it by region which will make WoW much less impressive once the freashness wears off since some MMOs don't have access to countries that more than double WoW's "subscriptions.".   For a company that has over 10 million subscribers, they sure as hell don't seem to be doing a whole lot by trying new things or improving aspects of the game like complex crafting, exploration, scenarios, new BGs, ect ect.  

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by furbans

With the exception of flex raiding there isn't a single feature that WoW has developed that isn't an adaptation from another game.

the dungeonfinder is a WOW exclusive

unless you know of a mmo that had a dungeonfinder prior to WOW

The first game I am aware of that had a dungeon/group finder was Neverwinter nights in the 90's. 

• MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,033
    Originally posted by newtextdocument

Btw if you look at the actual data, wow has been declining year on year and at the start of 2014 had approximately 7.5 million subscribers, not the amount you guys claim at 10 million.

Not only that but wows decline has been steady, it has only increased once in 2011 before then falling again with no increase in subscribers, just falls until WoD expansion.

3 monthes from now, we will see the same thing again with wows numbers 1st falling to the 7.5 million it was at and then below 7 million and beyond.

Wow has been facing steady decline and its all plotted for you to see on mmodata.net.

Are you done yet?  All you have done is post the same trivial points over and over again.  We get it, you don't like WoW.  Anything else you would like to vent here?

Originally posted by Whitebeards
    Originally posted by zzax
    Originally posted by Whitebeards
    Originally posted by PeZzy

10 million subscribers and only 3.3 million copies of WoD.

That makes sense.

This is first day sales only. WOD is still not available in Asia?

I guess it tells everything about real numbers (for the first time ever, we have official info):

1. Everyone who is currently playing bought WoD (show me one person who havent)
    2. No release in asia = asian numbers excluded (for the FIRST time ever!)

WoW real subscribers number: 3.3 million

You got it right. Western players are such special snowflakes that they are the only 'real' players.

Asians like me..well we do not matter at all even though we pay more to play WOW than your paltry sum of fixed 15 bucks.

I never understand this line of thinking (not yours, but zzax).  It's like people act like players from Asia are sub human or something.  I personally think all subs are equal in importance.  Regardless of which region they reside in.

Originally posted by Forgrimm
    Originally posted by Bigboo
    Originally posted by mmorpguk

its not 3.3 million + 10 million subs lol, that would bring it over WoW record subscription which was 12 million. The 3.3 million subs since the expansion brought it up to 10 million, it was 7 million something before and if it follows the pattern of previous expansions (at least according to what was said on another thread by someguys who know the numbers), it will fall to levels below what it was before the expansion in 1 year.

He is back.... image

I was just about to say that lol. He created yet another account, now that his "newtextdocument" account was laughed off the boards. The guy is straight up obsessed at this point.

I was thinking the same thing.  It's honestly one of the most pathetic things i've seen on this site.  I don't even hate the guy, I just really feel bad for him.  His life must be pretty sad.