Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

+116% AVG FPS gain from AMD 14.9 to 14.11.2

jpnolejpnole Member UncommonPosts: 1,698

14.9:        22.2 AVG 20 MIN

14.11.2:   47.9 AVG 38.2 MIN

116% improved AVG frame rate 

90% improved MIN frame rate

Used AUTOMATIC graphics settings (All MEDIUM settings except Tesselation which defaulted to LOW)

Playing on a nearly 4 year old PC built Jan 2011:

X4 965

Crossfired 6850s

8 GB RAM

Win 7 64

Comments

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004

Nice, sounds like their improving things, or at least optimising them better, now if only Ubi could do the same with their new assassins creed unity game, which is probably the worst game out there for those kinds of issues currently, so badly optimised it only runs at 20 fps on a PS4!! and that's downhill with the wind behind it.image

Still watching the Lets Plays for this game tbh, it doesn't look bad, but not yet at the stage where i think i would want to buy it, it does look better than DA;2, but DA;Origins is still looking like the better game to me.image

Anyone who is interested in watching how the game plays might want to check them out, Jesse Cox does a pretty good job of it imoimage

• TheAmazingDwarfTheAmazingDwarf Member UncommonPosts: 234
    I installed the 14.11.2 Beta driver before installing the game. OP, are you using DX11 or Mantle as API - you can change this of DA:I graphic options? Mantle should give a better performance.

My FFXIV ARR referral code for new EU accounts: 5JPF7ZQ3
    Step into the amazing world of Eorzea! Use this reference code on a new account and we'll both get goodies for it!

• FdzzaiglFdzzaigl Member UncommonPosts: 2,433
    Originally posted by Phry

Nice, sounds like their improving things, or at least optimising them better, now if only Ubi could do the same with their new assassins creed unity game, which is probably the worst game out there for those kinds of issues currently, so badly optimised it only runs at 20 fps on a PS4!! and that's downhill with the wind behind it.image

Still watching the Lets Plays for this game tbh, it doesn't look bad, but not yet at the stage where i think i would want to buy it, it does look better than DA;2, but DA;Origins is still looking like the better game to me.image

Anyone who is interested in watching how the game plays might want to check them out, Jesse Cox does a pretty good job of it imoimage

As many reviewers have said, the game is a slow burn.

It grows on you over time and can't be judged in a day or so. There are serious differences with the previous two games in the sense that the world itself is now a major part of the story. It doesn't immediately throw you into epic events right away, there's a long buildup and yes, a lot of sidequests that tie into that.

I was worried too for the first 10 hours or so, but even though I haven't had the chance to go wild with playing the game, I do find myself liking it more and more as I go on (now on 13 hours, still haven't scratched the surface).

Anyhow, good to see the drivers updated, I was already getting decent FPS on ultra with an AMD card & mantle.

Hoping they release a first bugfixing patch soon though, there are a few minor annoyances that keep bugging me. Such as the options on the war room being unavailable for clicking, forcing you to navigate to them using wasd.

Feel free to use my referral link for SW:TOR if you want to test out the game. You'll get some special unlocks!

• BailoPan15BailoPan15 Member Posts: 410

i5-2500k 

R9 290X

8gb RAM

14.11-2 Catalyst

Ultra settings with MSAA off

Never dips below 45 fps using Mantle and its mostly in to 60-80 range :) Love that shit

Also I don't know why but the R9 290X usually runs hot and especially hot on shitty console ports (no less than 90 degrees). In DAI I have yet to see this GPU going over 70 degrees even on ultra graphics. Me like Frostbite 3

Also I never really bothered using DIrect3D in this game. To hell with the old tech /o/ 

Also for those wondering, you can get FPS data using "PerfOverlay.DrawFps 1" in the console without the quotes :) I tend to trust the engine more than I do Fraps or other FPS counting program

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Originally posted by DwarfZZZ
    I installed the 14.11.2 Beta driver before installing the game. OP, are you using DX11 or Mantle as API - you can change this of DA:I graphic options? Mantle should give a better performance.

He can't use mantle. It's only available for 7000 series or newer. I'm using mantle and it's rock solid with great performance on my 7970.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• jpnolejpnole Member UncommonPosts: 1,698
    Originally posted by DwarfZZZ

Unfortunately, Mantle is not an option for me. I must use DX11 as Mantle requires a 7000 series card or newer. Now if I could only get an R290X to magically appear on my desk.

• The.agGThe.agG Member Posts: 119
    Originally posted by BailoPan15

i5-2500k 

R9 290X

8gb RAM

14.11-2 Catalyst

Ultra settings with MSAA off

Never dips below 45 fps using Mantle and its mostly in to 60-80 range :) Love that shit

Also I don't know why but the R9 290X usually runs hot and especially hot on shitty console ports (no less than 90 degrees). In DAI I have yet to see this GPU going over 70 degrees even on ultra graphics. Me like Frostbite 3

Also I never really bothered using DIrect3D in this game. To hell with the old tech /o/ 

Also for those wondering, you can get FPS data using "PerfOverlay.DrawFps 1" in the console without the quotes :) I tend to trust the engine more than I do Fraps or other FPS counting program

Maybe you should test DX11 first before reaching conclusions just because it's "old". Mantle in DA:I does not seem to be optimised well enough. I have tried it both with 14.9 and 14.11.2 drivers (both on clean install) and Mantle clearly causes FPS to drop compared to DX11 on my R9 270X.