Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

My opinion of FFXIV = friendless solo game

124»

Comments

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965
    Originally posted by Woodwashere

You also have to understand that this is the first MMO for a lot of people (especially playing right now) with the recent update, free trial - and with it being on PS4. The lack of communication does bother me as many console players do not use a wireless keyboard to communicate - and the game does a poor job at introducing players to the games targeting systems. But that's my personal pet peeves with any MMO that is on console + PC.

However. This is still my favorite MMO at the moment.

You chose to use the duty finder and for someone interested in the community / interaction of MMOs and "all that jazz" you sure didn't act on it. You could have formed a party in one of the towns (or any popular zone for that later) - got to know your group members, and then did the dungeon. Better yet.. they're on your server.. you guys could group up and do things together in the game.

I'm not even in a guild and a big portion of my time is with other players, chit chatting / emoting in taverns, doing leves - dungeons.. fishing.. you name it. I formed a "Link shell" / private chat channel and we all communicate that way. Some of which are in different guilds. All of these people are either prior friends - or people I've met in the game... by saying hello - hell in some cases all it took was an emote.

In short - if you took the time to get off the rails and "explore" your options - you'd be having a much more enjoyable experience I think.

This applies for every MMO out there.

People just expect everything handed to them on a silver platter these days. Even socializing needs to be spoonfed to them.

The current generation refuses to take initiatives on their own, because it's much easier to complain and whine on a forum instead. /shrug

• HyanmenHyanmen Member UncommonPosts: 5,357
    Originally posted by JeroKane

People just expect everything handed to them on a silver platter these days. Even socializing needs to be spoonfed to them.

The current generation refuses to take initiatives on their own, because it's much easier to complain and whine on a forum instead. /shrug

Lol. It's not the current generation b*tching on the forums about socializing, it's the old generation. Old MMOs spoonfed socializing to them, and now that MMOs no longer forces them to socialize, they are completely unable to do it themselves and blame the game for it.

Using LOL is like saying "my argument sucks but I still want to disagree".
  • WhitebeardsWhitebeards Member Posts: 778
    Originally posted by Hyanmen

Lol. It's not the current generation b*tching on the forums about socializing, it's the old generation. Old MMOs spoonfed socializing to them, and now that MMOs no longer forces them to socialize, they are completely unable to do it themselves and blame the game for it.

This +1.

Mostly people who complain and moan on forums about 'no socializing' are not young or new players but old farts who just can not let go of the past.

There was no choice back them in terms of socializing. Take example of FFXI. Even if i didn't want to group i had because there was no other option. Either i do that or quit the game. Where was this 'initiative' that you guys speak of? forcing me to group with others never made me more social, it was just means to an end.

Infact it made me despise it. Back when i was playing FFXI only difference is that i just didn't know better and i was naive and new to MMO genre. So that was the only kind of interaction and socializing i was aware of.

If it was really that amazing i would miss it and think of it fondly but i do not. I like freedom of choice and i want to socialize on my own terms.

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965
    Originally posted by Whitebeards

This +1.

Mostly people who complain and moan on forums about 'no socializing' are not young or new players but old farts who just can not let go of the past.

There was no choice back them in terms of socializing. Take example of FFXI. Even if i didn't want to group i had because there was no other option. Either i do that or quit the game. Where was this 'initiative' that you guys speak of? forcing me to group with others never made me more social, it was just means to an end.

Infact it made me despise it. Back when i was playing FFXI only difference is that i just didn't know better and i was naive and new to MMO genre. So that was the only kind of interaction and socializing i was aware of.

If it was really that amazing i would miss it and think of it fondly but i do not. I like freedom of choice and i want to socialize on my own terms.

That is not entirely true. Partly for sertain old games yes.

Star Wars Galaxies for example wasn't forced grouping for most content.  Just some specific areas and missions for badges.

But if you wanted to you could easily solo to level through your combat and profession skill trees.

For me, the attitude was just different back then. People just expected to socialize and team up in an MMO and took more initiative to this, compared to today, where every MMO is much more solo friendly and a lot of grouping going through automatic match making, like Dungeon and Raid finders.

So people just don't bother anymore for some reason.

I like having choice to solo when I want to and to group when I want to. I still take plenty initiative to engage with other people, group up, help people out, etc.

But sadly, I don't see it happening much the other way around these days.

People's attitudes have changed. That's just a fact.

• WhitebeardsWhitebeards Member Posts: 778
    Originally posted by Whitebeards

This +1.

That is not entirely true. Partly for sertain old games yes.

Star Wars Galaxies for example wasn't forced grouping for most content.  Just some specific areas and missions for badges.

But if you wanted to you could easily solo to level through your combat and profession skill trees.

For me, the attitude was just different back then. People just expected to socialize and team up in an MMO and took more initiative to this, compared to today, where every MMO is much more solo friendly and a lot of grouping going through automatic match making, like Dungeon and Raid finders.

So people just don't bother anymore for some reason.

I like having choice to solo when I want to and to group when I want to. I still take plenty initiative to engage with other people, group up, help people out, etc.

But sadly, I don't see it happening much the other way around these days.

People's attitudes have changed. That's just a fact.

Yes people's attitude have changed because they have realised that somewhere within this whole talk of 'we need more freedom in MMOS' is hidden the deep seeded need for old school players to be spoonfed socializing. That is why you see so much backlash between people who like the freedom of socializing on their own term and those who are of the opinion that forcing people to socialize is still the best way to make people work together.