Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

is it p2w

gw2foolgw2fool Member UncommonPosts: 164

I was checking this game out on steam and most of the comments are negative, saying that the last update made it so p2w that it is not worth playing any more, it this true?

I havn't played it for a while and don't think I will bother downloading the update if it is p2w

Comments

• BoneserinoBoneserino Member UncommonPosts: 1,768
    If you are asking that question, it probably is.

FFA Nonconsentual Full Loot PvP ...You know you want it!!

• DrannyDranny Member UncommonPosts: 279
    Originally posted by gw2fool

I was checking this game out on steam and most of the comments are negative, saying that the last update made it so p2w that it is not worth playing any more, it this true?

I havn't played it for a while and don't think I will bother downloading the update if it is p2w

No it's not pay to win at all. you don't win anything if you want to spend money on the game.

• Agent_JosephAgent_Joseph Member UncommonPosts: 1,361
    yes just as every F2P product,nothing is free at world for real
  • MuntzMuntz Member UncommonPosts: 332
    Everytime p2w comes up there are many different perspectives on what it means. So It depends. Give your definition of p2w and your question can be answered. 
  • MagikarpsGhostMagikarpsGhost Member RarePosts: 689
    only thing WORTH spending money on is the other souls for classes, but you dont NEED them. They include quite a few combos without. Besides once your lvl 65 (i think is the new cap) you can buy cash shop points off the market for around 1.2k plat

free 7 day sub and unlocks for swtor new accounts and 90+ day inactive subs click here to get it!

Click here for trove referral, bonuses to both!

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    If you're asking if you need to pay to progress, get gear and keep having fun.. then no, you don't have to pay for these things.
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • udonudon Member UncommonPosts: 1,803
    Originally posted by Dranny

No it's not pay to win at all. you don't win anything if you want to spend money on the game. 

It depends on how you define winning in a MMO doesn't it?  If I define winning as getting to the end game faster than a fully free 2 play player than there are things in the cash shop that are P2W but you could say the same about every other cash shop game out there.

Personally I don't like the P2W phrase as it's both derogatory in nature and isn't all that easy to define.  When I look at a F2P game I step back and take a look at the cash shop from the perspective of if I play this game for years how much could I realistically expect to spend to remove the most annoying road blocks F2P companies put in?  If it's close to a sub cost game of around $15 a month on average or so it doesn't bother me, if it's north of $30 like a lot of these games are designed around I walk away.  

When you start to work out what kinds of things you are likely to buy on the cash shop over the course of playing the game in what ever manner you prefer the long term cost of the game isn't that hard to figure out.  It's just a pretty personal thing.  For instance I hated leaving XP just sitting on a elite tank in WOT's so I would have to budget to spend real money to convert it to general XP.  The cost of doing that was so high I decided to walk from the game.  Now someone who doesn't care about leaving that XP sitting on a tank and not being able to use it might not care about that and their perspective of the cost of the game would be different.
  • SeelinnikoiSeelinnikoi Member RarePosts: 1,360

Pay to win, what ?

The lottery?

The FIFA World Cup?

If you are a Star Wars fan, why not try the Star Wars The Old Republic?
    New players can get a welcome package and old/returning players can also get a welcome back package and 7 days free subscription time! Just click here to use my referral invitation
  • Sector13Sector13 Member UncommonPosts: 784
    MMORPG.com logic : F2P = P2W, no exceptions (unless I like the game) but no exceptions!
  • JaedorJaedor Member UncommonPosts: 1,173

Trion's line it doesn't cross about P2W is that they will never sell the best in slot item in the cash shop. They have kept their word, but there have been some cases that caused some raging on the forums and slippery slope accusations.

You are allowed to spend a lot of cash to buy the 2nd best gear in order to play with friends or be competitive, but it's very expensive and of course will not be helpful if you don't know how to play your character.

Short answer, no. Lots of people have a blast playing Rift without ever spending a dime.

• JDis25JDis25 Member RarePosts: 1,353

Depends. You can grind out the same things that you can buy with money. You also can't buy Best in slot gear for real $.

If you buy the expansion with real money, you can play for free and be on equal footing with paying subscription players. sort of like a buy to play model.

Now Playing: Bless / Summoners War
    Looking forward to: Crowfall / Lost Ark / Black Desert Mobile
  • JacxolopeJacxolope Member UncommonPosts: 1,140

Not at all- best F2P model there is... Honestly.

As has been noted,you will need the Xpac to raid at the top tier but you can still play through without it- BUT if you are raiding at the top tier you should probably know if spending $50 is worth it or noit and as has been said- After the Xpac its more like B2P (but you wont need it until you are close to max level)

I abhor "F2P" (p2w) games and Iamvery happy with rift. I also bought the Xpac and have no problem paying for games solong as they dont cost MORE thasn a sub or have hidden paywalls. Rift does not.

• zaberfangxzaberfangx Member UncommonPosts: 1,796

If you trying to be part of a top guild then becomes you have to pay in to keep up, But if you're just casual then you can slowly work on your gear with out being a raider or anything like that just will take little a bit of time and still enjoy the game.

I know so doing right now, and done it befor.

• JacxolopeJacxolope Member UncommonPosts: 1,140
    Originally posted by zaberfangx

If you trying to be part of a top guild then becomes you have to pay in to keep up, But if you're just casual then you can slowly work on your gear with out being a raider or anything like that just will take little a bit of time and still enjoy the game.

I know so doing right now, and done it befor.

Yeah but even then it isnt like a ton of microtransactions or something- You only need to buy the Xpac for like $50 one time and can be competitive in top tier raids. The best gear cannot be bought and the xpac gives acessss to the earring slots which will be needed for top end raiding but thats really it.

So essentially you will need the Xpac and maybe bag space beyond what the free players get and thats all- I play the hell out of rift, raid at the high end and have spent maybe a total of $75 in the last 12 months ($59 was the Xpac and the rest was vanity shit) and never have to spend and I wont need to spend another dime until the next xpac (probably a year away or more) so for like $60/year you can be competivive as anyone else and play as much as you want- Its a steal tbh and the quality of the game is way better than any F2P I have ever seen.

EDIT- the ONE thing that could be considered "P2W" imho is that you have to spend $10 or something to be able to sell on the AH. So... To make decent in game money you will need to spend R$10. But again, you wont really worry about this until around level 50ish I would say and at that point, paying $10 shouldnt be a huge deal I would think.

• 5ubzer05ubzer0 Member UncommonPosts: 72

If you're asking p2w for pvp, then the answer is no. My brother and I picked Rift up a couple of weeks ago and mostly pvp in pretty bad gear. We do just fine. There's a lot of rage in their official pvp forums about end game gear progression which is apparently waaay faster if you pve for it, but we're not at max level yet. Lowbie and mid tier warfront queues take 23 seconds to pop on a EU server.

We've been game hopping for a while in search of something with good instanced pvp and Rift looks to be it. It's definitely a game that is worth checking out.

• VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872
    Originally posted by DMKano

Since there is no definition of Pay to Win

the answer is 

"depends on who you ask"

My answer - no.

Why?

Pay to faster is NOT pay to win.

If cash shop items can be bought via in game currency - it's a pay to "faster" system.

Of course there is a definition of pay to win and if you really get into it, there are way more than just one. None of them may apply to Rift, but saying that one can't define pay to win is just fishing for an excuse.

To an extend even "pay to faster" is just another term to excuse a p2w approach. Player A pays to get his PvP gear faster (aka instantly) than Player B grinds it out over month. Both meet in a BG, guess who wins?

Originally posted by Volgore
    Originally posted by DMKano

Since there is no definition of Pay to Win

the answer is 

"depends on who you ask"

My answer - no.

Why?

Pay to faster is NOT pay to win.

If cash shop items can be bought via in game currency - it's a pay to "faster" system.

Of course there is a definition of pay to win and if you really get into it, there are way more than just one. None of them may apply to Rift, but saying that one can't define pay to win is just fishing for an excuse.

To an extend even "pay to faster" is just another term to excuse a p2w approach. Player A pays to get his PvP gear faster (aka instantly) than Player B grinds it out over month. Both meet in a BG, guess who wins?

The first 1st and 2nd tier of gear yes, a pvp player can just buy it all, but the very last tier can't pay to win on that, you have to do your weeklys or dailys to get tokens to get up to that point, and don't even work with bouse other then guild, so makes it even on free to play vs pay to get the last teir of gear.

• whisperwyndwhisperwynd Member UncommonPosts: 1,668

Play the game for free.

Don't fall into "The trap of Deceit" how some view cash shops.

There, you win!

• hfztthfztt Member RarePosts: 1,401

Depends on what kind of gamer you are. I downloaded the game and played to around level 30. Around that time general thempark boredom hit me and I stopped. I never saw any signs of paywalls or anything while I played though. It did feel genuinely free.

• DeathageDeathage Member CommonPosts: 146

I wouldn't say its pay to win necessarily, but definitely pay for convenience. Their payment model really rubs me the wrong way. For instance, to unlock all bag slots will set you back $20 (at least when I tried the game) even if you are a subscriber. In fact, I saw almost no reason to sub in this game, unless you have got more dollars than cents and will pay for the miniscule benefits offered by the sub. In addition, you can buy some level 30-ish blue gear, which may give advantages in low-level pvp scenarios but is mostly meant to lubricate the leveling process.

But despite the fact that it is not what I would call "P2W", it still has probably one of the most, if not the most, annoying payment/ cash shop systems I have come across. It was a large part of why I quit, along with the terrible engine optimization.

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    Originally posted by Sector13
    MMORPG.com logic : F2P = P2W, no exceptions (unless I like the game) but no exceptions!

50 year old, educated, self employed, business owner's logic : 

If a game gives you a competitive advantage, by spending real money in a cash shop or any other type of purchasing mechanic. That is supplied or condoned by the supplier of said game.

The game is P2W

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• TheGoblinKingTheGoblinKing Member UncommonPosts: 208

Grossly yes.

You can literally buy 2nd tier raid gear and pvp gear right out of the cash shop. Just break open your wallet and off you go.

Originally posted by laserit

If a game gives you a competitive advantage, by spending real money in a cash shop or any other type of purchasing mechanic. That is supplied or condoned by the supplier of said game.

The game is P2W

Tons of MMO that gives people a competitive advantage some with money some with in game time, But what ever mmo people play if you have to keep paying $15 a month for a sub game other then people that can't is a advantage over a other that can't. 

Even some people not going to agree still a advantage over a other.

But people complain about p2w all the time, but no one really wins here other then the company, as people bank balance lose here.

• LeiloniLeiloni Member RarePosts: 1,266
    Originally posted by laserit

The game is P2W

Agreed, several mainstream F2P games are definitely P2W and the players do everything they can to ignore that fact or often to rationalize it. Your definition is spot on whether players like it or not. Those types of payment models drive me nuts personally. I will happily pay $15 for a game if that's all I have to pay for and there's no cash shop with benefits I'm missing out on. Just let me pay one flat fee for everything and put me on equal ground with everyone else in the game.

• syriinxsyriinx Member UncommonPosts: 1,383

Rift has one of the better f2p models.  Dont care much for the game (I think WoW, EQ2, SWTOR, FFXIV, and LOTRO are better themeparks) but if you wanted to ever play a game without spending a dime Rift would be the #1 choice to do that in.  The games above are all a vastly superior experience as subscription games (some dont even have the f2p option), but Rift plays just fine without sub.

Rift maybe has some things on its shop it shouldnt, but I certainly wouldnt call it p2w and this is coming from someone who dislikes Trion.