Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Blizzard to be shamed and blamed on BBC Watchdog :/

HeraseHerase Member RarePosts: 993

Recently been reading up on the forums and notice players up in arms about problems and some saying they will complain to a TV show called Watchdog, they deal with big companies when they screw over customers, and it seems they actually got the show to talk about Blizzard. 

http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/12618405806

What do people think? Never thought it would actually happen. Is it too far or a good sign of customers taking a stand?

Comments

• LeiloniLeiloni Member RarePosts: 1,266
    I think it's too far and whiny gamers with nothing better in their life that have no concept of what it's like to launch a huge expansion like this.
  • mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430
    Gamers love to complain.  Add to the fact some attention... Pure gold for the gamer.

I self identify as a monkey.

• KaladinKaladin Member Posts: 468
    Originally posted by Herase

Recently been reading up on the forums and notice players up in arms about problems and some saying they will complain to a TV show called Watchdog, they deal with big companies when they screw over customers, and it seems they actually got the show to talk about Blizzard. 

http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/12618405806

What do people think? Never thought it would actually happen. Is it too far or a good sign of customers taking a stand?

Pure comedy.

I can fly higher than an aeroplane.
    And I have the voice of a thousand hurricanes.
    Hurt - Wars

• aRtFuLThinGaRtFuLThinG Member UncommonPosts: 1,387

BBC Watchdog should look at Trion's business practice rather than Blizzard. They are looking at the wrong company.

• reeereeereeereee Member UncommonPosts: 1,636
    I take it this means the queues are still bad?
  • WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806

Now thats funny as hell, in a pathetic way.  Its obvious that those at the BBC are just chasing attention, no matter how inane its roots are.

The players who have been having hysterics are no doubt the same spoiled, entitled brats that don't have a clue about whats involved in these types of things. They want, what they want, when they want it, and reality be damned.

I had to wait in some lines the first day or two myself, thats simply par for the course for this type of massive launch.  Going into hysterics over a game, doesn't help anything.

"If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."
  • XiaokiXiaoki Member EpicPosts: 3,846
    I don't know about the European servers but the NA servers have been fine for days now. Some major servers might still have queues but that's not Blizzard's problem.

Yeah, seems like the gamers only want to nerd rage and if they can do it on the Telly then that's much better.
  • Johnie-MarzJohnie-Marz Member UncommonPosts: 865

Blizzard usually does a good job (comparatively) with their expansions. They have a pre-expansion patch that goes up a few weeks to a month before and they begin working out the kinks. However in the case of WoD having a dramatic influx of new and re-subscribers may have helped extend the problems.

However I am happy with my experience, as a gamer a fully expect a glitch or two come x-pac launch day.

• onlinenow25onlinenow25 Member UncommonPosts: 305
    Originally posted by Wraithone

Now thats funny as hell, in a pathetic way.  Its obvious that those at the BBC are just chasing attention, no matter how inane its roots are.

The players who have been having hysterics are no doubt the same spoiled, entitled brats that don't have a clue about whats involved in these types of things. They want, what they want, when they want it, and reality be damned.

I had to wait in some lines the first day or two myself, thats simply par for the course for this type of massive launch.  Going into hysterics over a game, doesn't help anything.

Yes they want what they have been advertised.

If a company knows there may be downtime due to a large influx of players they need to address that and let it be known instead of advertising that the servers will be fully functional at the time of a release.

Its false advertisement otherwise.  There are no if and's or buts about it.  

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=false+advertising+

By them stating that the expansion will be up and running on the day it is released yet for countless people it is not, is false advertising.  There is no other way to slice it.

• d_20d_20 Member RarePosts: 1,878
    Originally posted by aRtFuLThinG

BBC Watchdog should look at Trion's business practice rather than Blizzard. They are looking at the wrong company.

In principle, you may be right, but Trion is too trivial to take note of. Can you be sure they will even be in business five years from now?

• BigbooBigboo Member Posts: 201
    Originally posted by Xiaoki
    I don't know about the European servers but the NA servers have been fine for days now. Some major servers might still have queues but that's not Blizzard's problem.

Yeah, seems like the gamers only want to nerd rage and if they can do it on the Telly then that's much better.

No queues with Eu servers either, except for those already full ones. They still have some issues with phasing and instances.

----

----

• ZandilZandil Member UncommonPosts: 252
    I had to stand in line the other day to get an Ice cream....BBC watchdogs here i come. 

• BailoPan15BailoPan15 Member Posts: 410

So many blizzard apologists its hilarious. Keep it going guys, you're going to surpass the TESO whiteknights in these boards. attaboy

They straightforward lied about being under DDoS, just like Trion and every other MMO studio. Fact of the matter is, nobody gives a shit about those studios to DDoS them for no profit. They had massive surge in players and still did nothing. An year ago at least Square Enix stopped sales to accomodate the already paying bunch. That's why they have a good name at the moment. Blizzard however ..... well ... lets just say this is not the blizzard from 10 years ago.

You don't need to apologize on the behalf of a massive gaming company that rips people off. They have PR teams for that. Let those guys work a little to earn their salaries. Stop doing their job :D

• ForgrimmForgrimm Member EpicPosts: 3,059
    Originally posted by onlinenow25

Yes they want what they have been advertised.

If a company knows there may be downtime due to a large influx of players they need to address that and let it be known instead of advertising that the servers will be fully functional at the time of a release.

Its false advertisement otherwise.  There are no if and's or buts about it.  

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=false+advertising+

By them stating that the expansion will be up and running on the day it is released yet for countless people it is not, is false advertising.  There is no other way to slice it.

All of their bases are covered in the Terms of Use, which every player has to agree to in order to play the game:

"Blizzard Entertainment may be required to "shut down" one or more servers to repair the hardware, or software, related to World of Warcraft. While it is Blizzard Entertainment's intention to provide the Service all day, every day, you hereby acknowledge that Blizzard Entertainment reserves the right to temporarily suspend the Service for maintenance, testing, replacement and repair of the telecommunications equipment related to World of Warcraft, as well as for transmission interruption or any other operational needs of the system."

• Fanboy85Fanboy85 Member Posts: 21

I think its completely fair.

I live in the uk and watch the show watchdog which is a popular show over here which basically does what crimewatch does except for companies flogging products of bad quality or not as advertised.

Watchdog is a respectable program and does not troll companies. Its part of the uks industry regulation to ensure that services do what they say and are fit for purpose.

Watchdog would not report on berate Blizzard if it was not warranted.

They are completely right in pointing out abuses of customers by big companies just as crime watch is right in showing pictures of violent crime abusers to get witness phone calls.

These programs perform a public service in our country (the uk).

Originally posted by BailoPan15

So many blizzard apologists its hilarious. Keep it going guys, you're going to surpass the TESO whiteknights in these boards. attaboy

They straightforward lied about being under DDoS, just like Trion and every other MMO studio. Fact of the matter is, nobody gives a shit about those studios to DDoS them for no profit. They had massive surge in players and still did nothing. An year ago at least Square Enix stopped sales to accomodate the already paying bunch. That's why they have a good name at the moment. Blizzard however ..... well ... lets just say this is not the blizzard from 10 years ago.

You don't need to apologize on the behalf of a massive gaming company that rips people off. They have PR teams for that. Let those guys work a little to earn their salaries. Stop doing their job :D

You have a source to back up that bold claim in red?

• delta9delta9 Member UncommonPosts: 358

Watchdog is a joke program, it latches on to the "in thing" of the current week.

The program is a serious farce and all that ever happens is

Presenter -moan moan

Company rep - sorry

Presenter - moan moan

Company rep - We will do better from now on

Presenter - Now onto the next moan item

Its also a joke that people feel screwed over in a MMO that there are problems

The WoW generation who can't handle a bit of downtime and bugs in a MMO, damn I am glad they play WoW :)

• BigbooBigboo Member Posts: 201
    Originally posted by Forgrimm

Im sure Fanboy85 have a trustworthy source.

----

----

Originally posted by Bigboo
    Originally posted by Forgrimm

Im sure Fanboy85 have a trustworthy source.

He's too busy thinking of user names for his next 10 accounts though lol.

• aRtFuLThinGaRtFuLThinG Member UncommonPosts: 1,387
    Originally posted by d_20
    Originally posted by aRtFuLThinG

In principle, you may be right, but Trion is too trivial to take note of. Can you be sure they will even be in business five years from now?

I agree.

I was just saying if any gaming company, they should look at Trion because they malpracticed way harder than Bliizard, not saying it was good business sense or whjat not for BBC to do so.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

What folks like you miss is no one is defending or making up excuses on issues like this, they're simply putting &*^% into perspective, which is often lost in said discussions. I for one can't stand blizzard's games, just don't like em, yet it's obvious to me folks are taking this a bit far. Said show is going to look kinda silly considering most everything that went wrong will be long fixed by the time it airs.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

Those of you not in the Uk wont realise this but watchdog is part of our industry regulation here that reports on companies which abuse the consumer by selling faulty products, products which aren't fit for purpose or sold as advertised and companies following bad practices.

It is similar to crimewatch which reports violent crime with photos to look for witnesses.

It is a public service and does not troll companies for no reason which is why it is so well trusted like crime watch.

If it is doing a report on Blizzard, they would be doing it for legitimate reasons and Blizzard must have ripped off the customer.

• Johnie-MarzJohnie-Marz Member UncommonPosts: 865
    Originally posted by Fanboy85

If it is doing a report on Blizzard, they would be doing it for legitimate reasons and Blizzard must have ripped off the customer.

Or they simply don't understand how gaming works. 

The WoD launch was far smoother than most launches. Bugs are going to slip through the cracks even after beta testing. That's simply how it works. A company is only fraudulent if months after launch those same bugs are still there.

What the BBC watchdog should take a look at is company's that charge money for ALFA or BETA games that never actually come out.

• delta9delta9 Member UncommonPosts: 358

Those of you not in the Uk wont realise this but watchdog is part of our industry regulation here that reports on companies which abuse the consumer by selling faulty products, products which aren't fit for purpose or sold as advertised and companies following bad practices.

It is similar to crimewatch which reports violent crime with photos to look for witnesses.

It is a public service and does not troll companies for no reason which is why it is so well trusted like crime watch.

No it isn't

It is a weekly TV program with no real power except naming and shaming a company, it is not part of the industry regulatory body what so ever

Many items on the program arent in reference to anyone being ripped off - we get things like poor mobile phone signal, slow delivery times, energy pricing - it is sensationalist TV!

The ONLY reason they cover this "news" is the name - World of Warcraft - they know it will draw in the viewers - if this was real reporting on gaming there would be many more gaming companies talked about - as far as i recall this is the first time a game has made it on the program - why? - the name!

Originally posted by Johnie-Marz

Or they simply don't understand how gaming works. 

The WoD launch was far smoother than most launches. Bugs are going to slip through the cracks even after beta testing. That's simply how it works. A company is only fraudulent if months after launch those same bugs are still there.

What the BBC watchdog should take a look at is company's that charge money for ALFA or BETA games that never actually come out.

I thought I already covered this. They don't report on small companies which affect very few people.

They only report on big abuses of the uk public just like crimewatch doesn't report every crime in the uk, just the most violent ones.