Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

WoW Now Has Over 10 Million Subscribers

Comments

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910
    Originally posted by newtextdocument

It wont take a year or 2.

In 3 monthes, wows subscribers will drop again dramatically like it has done for every expansion since cataclysm.

At which point they'll still have more players than any other Western MMORPG running by a very wide margin.  Their returning subscriptions are more than most (all?) Western MMORPGs initial subscribers.

World of Warcraft is objectively the best running MMORPG in the West.  I'm not that familiar with MMORPGs from all over the world though.  Maybe objectively the best in the world.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• mmorpgukmmorpguk Member Posts: 9
    Originally posted by JeroKane
    Originally posted by Raquis

not cause its a great game cause there are no good competition.

there are so view good games its depressing!

There is competition. EverQuest 2 is a better game, but just lacks enough players to create critical mass on the servers.

In EQ2 almost all players are at orcClose to the cap. All low Level zones are complete ghost towns.

Not so in WoW. You can still create a New character and see plenty of People leveling alongside you. Queue up for low Level Dungeons are run them.

The cross server tech implementation has definitely helped in this.

Everquest 2 is ridiculously old and its graphics are even worse than wows which lets face it is pretty hard to be worse then lol.

Just wait for Everquest next, it will be out next year supposedly.

Originally posted by BadSpock

Wait I thought WoW was dead, as was the entire MMORPG genre because we are all still waiting for some kind of PvP Sandbox MMO?

Warlords is the most fun I've had in WoW since the earliest days of Cata. Hail to the king, baby!

Seriously though, WoW has a formula that works, entertains and hooks people, and has the quality and production value (plus some serious marketing) and name brand recognition - but none of that would matter if it wasn't a good game people wanted to play. 

3.3 copies sold? In 24 hours? 

I wonder if that counts digital + box or what?

Even if only 3.3 of the 10+ million "subscribers" is a true pay per month Western(ish) subscriber and the rest are pay as you go etc. internet cafe types, so f&cking what?

It's still the biggest game in the West and one of the top games in the East. 

You people... you never learn.

Sing along with me now!

"It's OK to not like things, it's OK, but don't be a dick about the things you don't like."

its not 3.3 million + 10 million subs lol, that would bring it over WoW record subscription which was 12 million. The 3.3 million subs since the expansion brought it up to 10 million, it was 7 million something before and if it follows the pattern of previous expansions (at least according to what was said on another thread by someguys who know the numbers), it will fall to levels below what it was before the expansion in 1 year.

Originally posted by lizardbones

In 3 monthes, wows subscribers will drop again dramatically like it has done for every expansion since cataclysm.

At which point they'll still have more players than any other Western MMORPG running by a very wide margin.  Their returning subscriptions are more than most (all?) Western MMORPGs initial subscribers.

World of Warcraft is objectively the best running MMORPG in the West.  I'm not that familiar with MMORPGs from all over the world though.  Maybe objectively the best in the world.

If you think it makes wow objectively the best running mmorpg in the world, you don't understand the definition of objective. It is subjectively the best rpg in the world but not objectively since you cant measure satisfaction objectively.

If you were to argue it is the most financially successful mmorpg ever, then that would be an objective statement as revenue can be measured objectively.

Please learn the definition and don't mix up words like objective and subjective or words like literal and figurative.

• grimgryphongrimgryphon Member CommonPosts: 682
    Originally posted by Kaladin
    Report back in a month or two.

I was wondering how long it would take for the butt-hurt to show up.

I'm sure the open-world PvP game you love so much will have 100 players by the end of the year. Don't fret, little one. lol

Optional PvP = No PvP
  • AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860
    Originally posted by mmorpguk

If you think it makes wow objectively the best running mmorpg in the world, you don't understand the definition of objective. It is subjectively the best rpg in the world but not objectively since you cant measure satisfaction objectively.

If you were to argue it is the most financially successful mmorpg ever, then that would be an objective statement as revenue can be measured objectively.

Please learn the definition and don't mix up words like objective and subjective or words like literal and figurative.

Who really cares how he worded it, the meaning is all that matters. This forum is about discussion of the topic, not a course in english/grammer. /shrug

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130

Wait I thought WoW was dead, as was the entire MMORPG genre because we are all still waiting for some kind of PvP Sandbox MMO?

Warlords is the most fun I've had in WoW since the earliest days of Cata. Hail to the king, baby!

Seriously though, WoW has a formula that works, entertains and hooks people, and has the quality and production value (plus some serious marketing) and name brand recognition - but none of that would matter if it wasn't a good game people wanted to play. 

Even if only 3.3 of the 10+ million "subscribers" is a true pay per month Western(ish) subscriber and the rest are pay as you go etc. internet cafe types, so f&cking what?

Sing along with me now!

"It's OK to not like things, it's OK, but don't be a dick about the things you don't like."

its not 3.3 million + 10 million subs lol, that would bring it over WoW record subscription which was 12 million. The 3.3 million subs since the expansion brought it up to 10 million, it was 7 million something before and if it follows the pattern of previous expansions (at least according to what was said on another thread by someguys who know the numbers), it will fall to levels below what it was before the expansion in 1 year.

Ahem! Just thought I'd point out that this press release was out before any China or South Korea numbers were in. Not sure what the sell through is like in those markets, but it could put it up over 11 or 12 million. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

Sing along with me now!

Where did you get this? 

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• BigbooBigboo Member Posts: 201

Sing along with me now!

He is back.... image

----

----

• ForgrimmForgrimm Member EpicPosts: 3,059
    Originally posted by Bigboo

He is back.... image

I was just about to say that lol. He created yet another account, now that his "newtextdocument" account was laughed off the boards. The guy is straight up obsessed at this point.

Originally posted by Amjoco

Who really cares how he worded it, the meaning is all that matters. This forum is about discussion of the topic, not a course in english/grammer. /shrug

2 things.

1. Its not grammar, its vocabulary.

2. Because the vocabulary is off, the meaning is completely wrong so we don't know what he means. Its like me saying I will literally cut my balls off if I lose my job. I don't mean literally because I wont cut them off, I mean figuratively. Him saying wow is objectively the best game means wow is the best game for everyone, something that can be measured objectively is a factual statement, wow isn't objectively the best game, it is subjectively the best game. Ie the best game in his opinion, not the opion of everyone as he claimed.

Furthermore, he didn't mean in a financial sense, if he had said wow is the most financially successful mmorpg ever objectively, then he would be right cuz that can be objectively measured.

I suggest you also learn the difference between grammar and vocabulary because since you don't know the difference, understanding incorrect sentences like his must be even more difficult for you.

Originally posted by CrazKanuk

Sing along with me now!

Ahem! Just thought I'd point out that this press release was out before any China or South Korea numbers were in. Not sure what the sell through is like in those markets, but it could put it up over 11 or 12 million. 

Maybe so but that guy was saying its 13.3 million without even including those regions. He is wrong.

Edit:

My apologies, I read his statement incorrectly, he meant that 10 million included the 3.3 million. My bad, sorry.

Originally posted by CrazKanuk

Sing along with me now!

Maybe so but that guy was saying its 13.3 million without even including those regions. He is wrong.

Edit:

My apologies, I read his statement incorrectly, he meant that 10 million included the 3.3 million. My bad, sorry.

Honestly I think you are just rushing in to these discussions to discredit people instead of staying on topic. You corrected my "vocabulary" in a previous post, which wasn't even my point. The point was we understood the guy and that we should stay on topic.

• Spankster77Spankster77 Member UncommonPosts: 487

Haters going to hate but the truth is WoW is still the king and rightfully so!

FOR THE ALLIANCE!!!!

• doodphacedoodphace Member UncommonPosts: 1,858
    Originally posted by Whitebeards

Btw you are wrong, wow at pre expansion levels didn't have more subscribers than the next 5 largest mmos added together,  you are looking at out of date data.

If wow falls to pre expansion levels it wont even have as many players as the next 2 largest mmos put together, in fact it will be significantly less.

Go look at mmo data. net for up to date figures instead of spouting a lie to support your wow fan boy antics.

And which are these two largest MMOS you are talking about?

Looks like you are very unhappy that WOW is doing great.

Wow isn't doing great. Don't get mad at me for dispelling your lies because you are a wow fanboy, instead of trying to back up your fellow fanboys who are spouting out of date data, why don't you do as I suggested and go look up the up to date data on the site I mentioned.

WoW's lowest point was 6.8 million subs 10 years after release.....and it just sold 3.3 million copies of an expansion in 24 hours..

....dude proceeds to claim "WoW isnt doing great".

If thats the case, then every MMO on the market is dead, right?

I love announcements like these, it makes WoW haters start frothing at the mouth lol

• ArthasmArthasm Member UncommonPosts: 785
    Originally posted by doodphace
    Originally posted by Whitebeards

Btw you are wrong, wow at pre expansion levels didn't have more subscribers than the next 5 largest mmos added together,  you are looking at out of date data.

If wow falls to pre expansion levels it wont even have as many players as the next 2 largest mmos put together, in fact it will be significantly less.

Go look at mmo data. net for up to date figures instead of spouting a lie to support your wow fan boy antics.

And which are these two largest MMOS you are talking about?

Looks like you are very unhappy that WOW is doing great.

Wow isn't doing great. Don't get mad at me for dispelling your lies because you are a wow fanboy, instead of trying to back up your fellow fanboys who are spouting out of date data, why don't you do as I suggested and go look up the up to date data on the site I mentioned.

WoW's lowest point was 6.8 million subs 10 years after release.....and it just sold 3.3 million copies of an expansion in 24 hours..

....dude proceeds to claim "WoW isnt doing great".

If thats the case, then every MMO on the market is dead, right?

I love announcements like these, it makes WoW haters start frothing at the mouth lol

Nah, they're undead MMOs.

• Soki123Soki123 Member RarePosts: 2,558
    WOD has proven one thing. Competition is a good thing. This x pac is some of the best work WOW has released in a long time IMO. If they keep this up, and with the overly positive garrison chat I see, and more to come for them, I can see that alone will keep a lot happy. Everything else is just a bonus. I m very happy where WOW is, and have finally cancelled my FFXIV account to play solely WOW for now. I had had a sub for both going , but if WOW continues this type content, with their supposed x pac every year, with this amount of quality, I can t see myself going back to FFXIV for a long time. If they drop the ball, then I will, but as for now, WOD is just an excellent product, and don t see anyone mentioning un subbing in my guild at all, time will tell.
  • NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

3.3m in 24 hours is great

but it does include all presales since March 2014 when WOD went on sale 8 months ago

http://wow.joystiq.com/2014/03/10/warlords-of-draenor-pre-order-available-on-battle-net/

for comparison (to itself)

Cata sold 3.3m in 24 hours too but was only available for presale 1 month eariler

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/blog/1109867

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

Read again friend. I said 3.3 OF THE 10+ million. Not 3.3 + 10 million.

3.3 million expansion sales in the first 24 hours even, which obv includes the 1.5 million pre-orders or so they said they had. Likely more, and as have others have said, once it is allowed to launch in China etc. will be even more.

Objectively, Warlords is a smashing hit!

Subjectively, Warlords is a smashing hit!

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

Read again friend. I said 3.3 OF THE 10+ million. Not 3.3 + 10 million.

3.3 million expansion sales in the first 24 hours even, which obv includes the 1.5 million pre-orders or so they said they had. Likely more, and as have others have said, once it is allowed to launch in China etc. will be even more.

Objectively, Warlords is a smashing hit!

Subjectively, Warlords is a smashing hit!

Does that count the boxes stores ordered?

Best case scenario does't this mean 4 million subscribers didn't buy? WoW has/had 7 million players right?

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • AnirethAnireth Member UncommonPosts: 940

I don't quite follow Blizzards logic that ~7 million subscribers + ~3 million copies of WoD = 10 million subscribers, as that would mean that no one who was currenlty playing WoW bought WoD..

Doesn't really matter in the end though, it's still a huge success.

Obviously many people will quite half way through, many more when they have seen all the new content in a month or so..

But i don't see anything that conflicts with Blizzards plan to keep it running another 10 years, if they can draw so many people back. Makes me a bit sad, as i'm still waiting for Warcraft IV, and WoW is kinda blocking the franchise..

I'll wait to the day's end when the moon is high
    And then I'll rise with the tide with a lust for life, I'll
    Amass an army, and we'll harness a horde
    And then we'll limp across the land until we stand at the shore

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

By the measures available WoW is the best MMORPG.  The people playing WoW are playing because they want to play the game.  The people who subscribe to the game are subscribing because they want to.  Nobody is forcing them to play the game.  The number of people who subjectively believe WoW is a good game far exceeds the number of people who subjectively believe other MMORPGs are good games.  That is an objective measure of the number of people who subjectively find WoW to be "Good".  WoW is objectively the best MMORPG running.

You should work on your definitions there.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• BullCrakBullCrak Member UncommonPosts: 16
    Have already unsubbed. And 2 of my mates that have tested WoW but not bought WoD, and another 2 that have bought WoD, are unsubbing too. It's not the expac we wanted. Questing and general feel of the expac kinda irks in the wrong places, and endgame is more grindy than ever before.
  • luisrkillerluisrkiller Member UncommonPosts: 107
    Originally posted by BullCrak
    Have already unsubbed. And 2 of my mates that have tested WoW but not bought WoD, and another 2 that have bought WoD, are unsubbing too. It's not the expac we wanted. Questing and general feel of the expac kinda irks in the wrong places, and endgame is more grindy than ever before.

Hope you find a game you will enjoy. That will put us at 9,999,995 subscribers, how sad... 

• advokat666advokat666 Member UncommonPosts: 93

By the measures available WoW is the best MMORPG.  The people playing WoW are playing because they want to play the game.  The people who subscribe to the game are subscribing because they want to.  Nobody is forcing them to play the game.  The number of people who subjectively believe WoW is a good game far exceeds the number of people who subjectively believe other MMORPGs are good games.  That is an objective measure of the number of people who subjectively find WoW to be "Good".  WoW is objectively the best MMORPG running.

You should work on your definitions there.

You should do that yourself. Good or Bad is the complete wrong term. How do you define good or bad ? Financial successful ? Absolutely.

For me WoW is a crappy game, i don´t like it, for other people it is the messiah of MMO´s, so why debating about subscriber numbers anyway. For the single player it is irrelevant whether WoW has 7.5 or 10 or 15 million players. For somebody who hates the game it does not get better just as for somebody who loves the game. One will enjoy it and the other don´t because it is a matter of taste and not something you can explain with "objectivity".

<table tblf-fullwidth="" tblf-alternate"="">