Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Citizen vs Elite:Dangerous. What is the difference?

SarpynomSarpynom Member Posts: 3

I've watched several video's of both the games, but I have not looked into them both in much depth.

I'm tempted to buy one of the games to play for the next few months and even long term.

Could someone throw together a list of the differences? Or are they pretty identical?

Comments

• Agent_JosephAgent_Joseph Member UncommonPosts: 1,361

both are same space sims SP+ MP games but in different universe,you can play ED next two years and after boring, SC ll be done & you ll got new fun in another space sim

It is what I going to do.

And stay on ground don't listen fanboyz and haters just research and make your opinion.What ever make at end you ll get fun or lost only yours  money.

• GeadinGeadin Member UncommonPosts: 17

In my own personal opinion as an owner of both video games.

ED is more ahead because they didn't do cashcows for spaceships so the game got out alot faster flying around is pretty fun the space envrioment is pretty epic the pew pew aspect is fun as well over all the game is there it just has a cheaper feel to it because they focused on getting it out and ready and plan on delievering more of the game in dlcs

Star Citizen has a more refined feel to it due to them focusing more on the immersion of the videogame the ability to walk around spaceships and focusing on out of game lore. The pew pew system for star citizen is abit less arcadey but involves sitting in one spot for a better shot kinda complicated to grasp at first but after a couple hours you'll get it.

I unno not much else to write for stuff

• emotaemota Member UncommonPosts: 413
    Originally posted by Sarpynom

I've watched several video's of both the games, but I have not looked into them both in much depth.

I'm tempted to buy one of the games to play for the next few months and even long term.

Could someone throw together a list of the differences? Or are they pretty identical?

One is releasing shortly, one is releasing ships

• DarLorkarDarLorkar Member UncommonPosts: 1,082

Sorry but to buy and play in next few months..then that leaves one game ED.

ED will release in the next few months, but they seem to be dropping some options to be able to release soon. 

SC , i really doubt that it will release any time next year. If it does it will most likely be close to this time next year though. But i doubt that will happen.

They have released a PIECE or 2 of the game. So you can play around with parts of it. But nothing even close to a full  playable game at all.

So, yes do your research..but if it is between those two choices..then it really is down to one.  And would you like that type of game? More of a exploration type game at this point? Well only you can say.

• aRtFuLThinGaRtFuLThinG Member UncommonPosts: 1,387

E:D focuses on the macro side of spaces-sim - with everything be big, space being vast and infinitely generating, travel anywhere, etc...

SC focuses on the micro and the story side of space sim - it is more about things happenig inside a star system or planets, and on a more player/personal level, etc....

• ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,297

E:D (at the moment)

is in Beta 3 at the moment, almost finished

huge universe, a small part designed, the rest procedurally generated (great for explorers if you dont expect a big story behind ... the whole Milky Way in fact .. and I mean THE WHOLE ! that is known to mankind)

Flying style more like World War I air combat  (therefore fun, but limited)

Lots of trading, but with a limited (read:simple) economic model behind it

no avatar you can walk around with

not much of a story so far , its a lot like the old Elite (fighting, trading, improving your ship)

"The Blue Danube" on your docking computer ;-)

The E:D universe is so huge that you may have to look for other players a bit more than in other games

E:D in its basic form is almost finished, so I recommend you buy it in December and play a year with it until Star Citizen comes out. E:D will improve upon its basic version with more modules in the future.

Star Citizen:

is in pre-Alpha at the moment.

You can do dogfighting  in the Arena Commander module (PvE, Co-Op PvE, PvP)

You can participate in spaceship racing

You can walk around your hangar, inspect your ships (more and more ships added), fool around with stuff e.g. a buggy

SC will have an avatar that you can walk around with, interact and fight (like in first person shooter)

SC will have a very detailed economic module (and if "times they are changing" in a certain star system, then you will see colonies prosper or decline by changing grafic style)

SC will have about 100 detailed system at the beginning, later it will have more done with a mix of procedural generation and hand-building.

SC flying style is less air combat and more 3D spaceship style (that means e.g. your course is set to forward, but you can rotate your ship and shoot backwards at the same time). More complicated than E:D

SC will have a detailed single player storyline called "Squadron 42", followed by a persistent universe

SC feature complete Alpha/Beta can be expected for end of 2015, beginning of 2016.

I recommend you buy a basic ship package for SC (45 $) and try it out.

Both games are NOT MMORPGs. Both games are NOT EVE Online with thousands of ships fighting it out in mass battles. Expect more like 30 vs 30  (100 vs 100 at most). Both games do NOT have an economy that is relying on player crafted items.  Both games will have the option to run on private servers, so you can run the version of the game YOU want. Both games have a varying degree of PvP buildt-in ... if you want PvE only with 0% PvP i recommend private servers.

Both games are definitely worth playing.

Have fun

• KuinnKuinn Member UncommonPosts: 2,072

Elite is launching soon, and Star Citizen is launching in couple of years. So I'd say get Elite, you are propably bored of it already by the time SC launches. What comes to differences, I think Elite aims for bigger world, endless amount of systems, but SC aims for more details and more gameplay options like first person shooter along the space sim.

• SarpynomSarpynom Member Posts: 3

I wasn't aware that ED had added in multiplayer concepts so far, may give it a go right now due to that fact. 

Is there a way to identify players from NPC?

• barasawabarasawa Member UncommonPosts: 618

Star Citizen is also getting an FPS module. 

I hate to say this, but SC is starting to feel like Battlecruiser did before it's "release".

I sure hope that's just me being paranoid, otherwise the people at RSI will have to hide out on another planet for several years until the heat dies down.

If you can afford it, you'd probably be happiest getting Elite:Dangerous now, and getting a Star Citizen package when you can since it's going to be a while before they release. Then you can someday fully enjoy both of them. :)

Lost my mind, now trying to lose yours...

I wasn't aware that ED had added in multiplayer concepts so far, may give it a go right now due to that fact. 

Players has the word "CMDR" in front of their name, when you scan their ship.

• Colt47Colt47 Member UncommonPosts: 549
    As someone who is supporting star citizen, I'm viewing the entire project as a grand experiment much like Shroud of the Avatar.  Even if the game stumbles into it's face (not incredibly likely, but who knows) the work going into it will be an inspiration for many other game developers going forward.  
  • AsboAsbo Member UncommonPosts: 812

Well ED goes live on December 16th so everyone can try it then and imo by the time SC comes many who will be playing ED will be having mucho blast so the wait for SC will be no bother as ED will and does do what space gamer's want it give you a very in depth game to do as you please. It's not a cash cow but they have kept their heads down and got on with the development rather than chasing $$ or £ every day.

Sadly Chris Roberts is riding so hi on his EGO that the game is reaching far beyond his own imagination and I just hope that he does not let down all his backers for the gaming industries sake. Does he have the talent to make this game imo yes. They definitely have the funds. From the outside in it appears they giving jobs to family and friends and I hope that the talent they pull together can deliver. 

Since Eric (Wingman) Patterson has left their weekly video updates around the verse has gone right down the pan!!! The two who are currently running it have severe lack of personality no matter what they try to do or say it lacks energy, humour and feeling they need a professional to run that for them. Bring back Eric I say! I'm not even sure that he is even with them anymore no idea why as he was great with the crowds they loved him.

Anyone have any idea what happened to him?

Asbo

• rpmcmurphyrpmcmurphy Member EpicPosts: 3,502
    Originally posted by aRtFuLThinG

Players has the word "CMDR" in front of their name, when you scan their ship.

Best way to tell is via the radar - player character icons are hollow, NPC icons are solid

Originally posted by NightBandit
    Bring back Eric I say! I'm not even sure that he is even with them anymore no idea why as he was great with the crowds they loved him.

Anyone have any idea what happened to him?

He started his own game project - currently in the design phase. It will be a Space Sim crowdfunding project. According to his own words (which he stated several times in print or live stream) he is still on very good terms with the CIG team and Chris Roberts and wishes SC to be a HUGE success.  Another reason was that he and his family wanted to stay in Austin, while CIG needed him in L.A. headquarters.

Look for more here:

http://descendentstudios.com

and here: https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/197558/dateline-wingman-update

"Hello fellow citizens!

There have been a lot of rumors going around about me lately, as it seems you can’t fly a ship in the verse without someone floating a new “Where’s Wingman” conspiracy theory. I have had a good time following along with some of those, many of them very inventive, but that is not why I am here talking with everyone today.

When Chris, myself and a few others sat down to discuss Star Citizen there was a plan of having the bulk of the team in Austin and a strike team in LA. However, it became quite the burden on Chris to travel back and forth to Austin every month, especially when we grew our plans and added extra studios and people. Frankly, it became an impossible task for Chris to manage his time and all the studios efficiently. So it was decided that for the good of the project we would need to consolidate the senior leads around Chris in the LA office.

Which brings us to here. The situation was pretty obvious, my position would need to be in the LA office.

Now, this is not a simple decision for me. I love this game, and I love all of you as you have made Star Citizen what it is to date, you are like my second family, a community that feels as passionately about this game as I do and that is a wonderful thing, for which I am truly grateful. However, my family (Hotwing, SixWing and Winglet) are rooted in Austin and they are clearly my top priority in any major decision. So, as I pondered the choice it became increasingly clear that the right one was for me to step aside from my role at CIG.

I have enjoyed more than anything being part of this adventure, from the early days of the campaign to doing Wingman’s hangar live in the basement to watching our team and the game grow with the passion of all the Citizens. Truly a mind blowing adventure, and one I have been proud to have been a small part of, but now I must be taking up my new role as cheerleader and dedicated (Golden ticket holding – oh yeah baby) backer.

I will still be around in the forums and in the chat roll with my fellow chatrollians – I will be right there alongside everyone else flying our ships, and enjoying the ride as Star Citizen and Squadron 42 continue to change the world of development.

I thank each and every one of you from the bottom of my heart for supporting me along the way. I have had the best time of my life meeting folks at events, in coffee shops, biergartens, conferences, airports, heck all over really – if you happen to see me somewhere, please stop by to say hello, as it is a thrill every time I get to meet other Citizens in person and share stories, or anecdotes about development, the game or (REDACTED). :) And I will still pop into some events when I have some time.

And, if you want to see what I am up to next, please come join my new forums at: http://descendentstudios.com I will be livestreaming on Fridays at 11am CST.

So, before I start to cry, there is really only one things left to say…..

See you all “in the verse”

Eric “Wingman” Peterson"

Have fun

• mosernmosern Member Posts: 4

ED - close to being released.

SC - around 2 years of development left, some modules (dogfighting) available to try out.

Major difference:

SC allows you to exit the ship and will contain FPS combat. (Example while boarding a larger vessel)

SC will also require much more of your PC.

In short:

ED if you want to play now.

SC if you are interested in not just being a ship.

• TheYear1500TheYear1500 Member UncommonPosts: 531
    Originally posted by mosern

ED - close to being released.

SC - around 2 years of development left, some modules (dogfighting) available to try out.

Major difference:

SC allows you to exit the ship and will contain FPS combat. (Example while boarding a larger vessel)

SC will also require much more of your PC.

In short:

ED if you want to play now.

SC if you are interested in not just being a ship.

Assuming it all goes well the next expansion for ED will also have walking around.  And again in another expansion have full scale planets to explore.    

ED has lost the ability to play offline,  

ED is more about the large expanse of space, you have real exploration.  

SC is more about the story and detail of the world.  

In truth they are very different games that will have very similar feature but but will implement those features in different ways.  

Originally posted by TheYear1500

ED has lost the ability to play offline,  

Just to clarify on this point:

No offline mode doesn't mean there is no solo mode. There is still solo mode.

Offline mode was never developed or BETAed in E:D (probably because in E:D the universe is "grown" by the game algorithim itself)..

So solo mode (where you don't play with other players) still exists... just that you still need internet connections.

• JonBonJawaJonBonJawa Member UncommonPosts: 489

oh look 3 posts new user plugging and spamming Elite in the SC forums, as always. How cute and convincing, fresh and new.

You pretend you want to know the difference? I tell you the difference

SC is in developmemt and has 64 million $ budget, ED is out next week and had about 5% of the budget.

ED is a terrible unfinished tech demo that lacks content, all it has is a small rabid fanboy base that pretends this title would be worth 100$ or could be compared to Star Citizen, or even compared to any game that is actually finished and entertaining. Both is not the case and many tears and refunds will follow.

Now back under your spambot bridge. Reported

• SararielSarariel Member UncommonPosts: 301
    Originally posted by MoreOfTheSame

oh look 3 posts new user plugging and spamming Elite in the SC forums, as always. How cute and convincing, fresh and new.

You pretend you want to know the difference? I tell you the difference

SC is in developmemt and has 64 million $ budget, ED is out next week and had about 5% of the budget.

ED is a terrible unfinished tech demo that lacks content, all it has is a small rabid fanboy base that pretends this title would be worth 100$ or could be compared to Star Citizen, or even compared to any game that is actually finished and entertaining. Both is not the case and many tears and refunds will follow.

Now back under your spambot bridge. Reported

You've clearly never played ED :P content seems plentiful for a game in beta anyway.

And more promised the next week and even more for release next month.

You say that as if it's a good thing, yes it has a 65 million budget, which is terrifying considering the state of it right now.

You sound like one of the idiots that would spend $600 on a virtual spaceship

• sketocafesketocafe Member UncommonPosts: 950
    Elite is going to use less money on its path toward disappointing almost everybody. That's the one big difference.
    Originally posted by sketocafe
    Elite is going to use less money on its path toward disappointing almost everybody. That's the one big difference.

Hmm ... looks like i am one of the "almost".

While E:D is not as huge as SC, it is nonetheless a great game already (within its limitations of time and budget). If E:D is a success, we basically finance our own additional E:D content. So it depends on US to make it the great, COMPLETE game we want to see, on par with SC.

Have fun