Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Review] Dragon Age: Inquisition: Bioware Reclaims the RPG Crown

Comments

• DamediusDamedius Member Posts: 346

Definitely not a fan of the changes so far. It feels more like the start of an mmo than a single player RPG. Kill x amount of this, collect  x amount that. 

I hoping it picks up but I'm disappointed after putting in a few hours of play.

It almost feels more like a more poorly done ESO so far.

• bebopdrumsbebopdrums Member UncommonPosts: 168
    Id personally love a click to move option, and i wish tactical cam could be pulled quite a bit further out so i can better assess the situation to more effectively use...tactics.  And a few other minor things. Hair looks bizarre...not sure what going on there...

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,010
    Originally posted by saurus123

i was hoping that i will play some good rpg but after reading and watching some streams seems not

game is kidna disappointment

fight encounters are terrible all you need to do is press left mouse button and spam skills of cooldown, no tactics needed just smash the buttons for the win

game world is not that open as devs was talking about sure you can try and explore a bit but if you try and go away from storyline path you figth monsters that kill you in few hits becouse thier level is way higher than yours

You might want to look at "Angry Joe's" first play through.

this is not an endorsement of his videos so much as you get to see him play on nightmare where he wipes several times at the first boss.  From what I can see, it looks like at that difficulty one needs to pay more attention to what is going on and use tactics. Of course that is a first run through so maybe with familiarity it all becomes easier no matter what the difficulty. Still, it looks like that boss could take huge chunks of damage out of a player if they weren't managing where they are, where their party members are, what they are doing, etc.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 

After playing the game for over ten hours I wonder if we played the same game. You mentioned none f the serious problems of the game and glowingly praised it.

First off the keyboard and mouse controls are terrible. Second it seems like this is a prototype for a future Dragon Age mmo. Which means it's filled with all those tedious and boring quests that most mmo's are. Gone are the story driven quests from the first two games. Replaced with fetch quests and flag collecting.

You also praised the combat in this game. I personally feel that they butchered the combat from the previous games and consolized it. Something you flatly denied when questioned in the comments.

Bioware does not reclaim the RPG crown with this game. It falls flat when compared to Skyrim and the Witcher. IMO it is also the weakest offering from the Dragon Age trilogy. 

The games is getting massacred on Metacritic and rightly so. It's been overhyped and just might be the most disappointing game so far this year.

Originally posted by Damedius

After playing the game for over ten hours I wonder if we played the same game. You mentioned none f the serious problems of the game and glowingly praised it.

First off the keyboard and mouse controls are terrible. Second it seems like this is a prototype for a future Dragon Age mmo. Which means it's filled with all those tedious and boring quests that most mmo's are. Gone are the story driven quests from the first two games. Replaced with fetch quests and flag collecting.

You also praised the combat in this game. I personally feel that they butchered the combat from the previous games and consolized it. Something you flatly denied when questioned in the comments.

Bioware does not reclaim the RPG crown with this game. It falls flat when compared to Skyrim and the Witcher. IMO it is also the weakest offering from the Dragon Age trilogy. 

The games is getting massacred on Metacritic and rightly so. It's been overhyped and just might be the most disappointing game so far this year.

You're like a half fibber (that sounds better than what I had).

Here you go:

http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/dragon-age-inquisition

It's half and half. Half praising it and half lambasting it. That'q quite different from it being massacred. Or should we just pick the other side and say "it's getting glowing reviews". Or do you just pick the side that you want to show but not mention the other side because that would cast doubt on your position? The reality is it's getting both. So half happy half not so happy.

I don't agree with your assessment about combat. At all. Keyboard and mouse are fine.

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

• NobleNerdNobleNerd Member UncommonPosts: 759
    Originally posted by moneda
    I like that the review touched on whether or not it was a decent PC experience but am hesitant to put much faith in its assertion without any mention of the UI; especially considering mod development for this Dragon Age installment may be lacking because of the game being built on the Frostbite engine. Am I going to be scrolling through dozens of pieces of equipment because the inventory UI was scaled for a console connected to a TV?

There are filter tabs so it minimizes the scrolling, but if that is all you are concerned about.... deal with it. THE GAME IS FREAKING AMAZING!

• NobleNerdNobleNerd Member UncommonPosts: 759
    Originally posted by bebopdrums
    Id personally love a click to move option, and i wish tactical cam could be pulled quite a bit further out so i can better assess the situation to more effectively use...tactics.  And a few other minor things. Hair looks bizarre...not sure what going on there...

If the hair looks shiny... change graphic settings... I believe the mesh helped mine.

Originally posted by Sovrath
    Originally posted by Damedius

You're like a half fibber (that sounds better than what I had).

Here you go:

http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/dragon-age-inquisition

It's half and half. Half praising it and half lambasting it. That'q quite different from it being massacred. Or should we just pick the other side and say "it's getting glowing reviews". Or do you just pick the side that you want to show but not mention the other side because that would cast doubt on your position? The reality is it's getting both. So half happy half not so happy.

I don't agree with your assessment about combat. At all. Keyboard and mouse are fine.

The user score is 5.5.

That's a massacre for a game of this stature.

• moiraesfatemoiraesfate Member Posts: 5

So far its' a really good game but I'm baiting my breath for some mods already. The insane idea that you have to hover your mouse over every single bit of loot and then right click is just insane. There isn't even a bondable button so that I can connect it to another key. And the "activate" thing too. I should be able to press a key instead of having my mouse over it and right clicking for ANYTHING but they don't seem to have an alternative way to do that. If you know of one, please do tell. I haven't found a way to do it. The game doesn't seem to allow key binds. Attacking key binds to right and left mouse is fine, it's the other activations that I want to change. 

Also, I can't wait till they come up with some graphics mods for some of these characters. Though Leliana looks way better than she did in other games, Casandra looked better in #2. Verric hasn't changed much and was always ugly. And Morrigan... her new design is hideous. She was so beautiful, now she just looks... wrong. 

Character creation is at a great level. The thing is, I've decided that I don't like the way my character looks and I'm hours into the game already so I definitely don't want to have to go back and redo it. I'd like a way to alter that after the fact. 

I'd like the ability to lock on to a mob and I can't seem to do that right now. Seems ridiculous that I have to click for every hit. I can see my mouse hand starting to hurt after a while. 

Other than these things (so far), I have no complaints about the game. Story is involving, graphics are gorgeous, music is excellent (love the fact that I walked into a pub and a minstrel was playing these really excellent songs), combat is good though not perfect, customization options are good (in this game, even the helmets look good. What a shock. Usually Bioware's helmets make me want to turn them off). Love the intense amount of exploring I can do. I'm enjoying it. 

• DoomsDay01DoomsDay01 Member UncommonPosts: 783

I have had serious issues with the game crashing. First start of the game it crashed after character creation when it was zooming down on my character in the room with a display driver stopped responding. Updated my video driver to 1 level below the newest driver and the next 1.5 hours had 5 crashes with DX errors at random places. Updated again to the newest driver (nvidia drivers) and played for 3 or 4 hours with only 2 crashes but these crashes gave no errors. Game froze for 30 seconds and just closed.

I havent experienced to many stutter problems, frame rate issues at times, appear to be dropping into the 20's. I have to agree with that metacritic score of around 5. the crashing issues aside, on PC this game has issues. Looting absolutely sucks. The lag from starting to move to stopping your character can be frustrating. How this article could ever say that this game was good on the pc, I will never understand. The controls are so obviously ported from a console game! Just look at when you call your horse out. Why does the horse always go past you and you have to move and walk up to it to mount it. You should never have to do that in a video game. I cant think of single game that has ever done that. The quest tracking is awkward and cumbersome to go through, The camera is a pain in the butt when you are near trees, makes it almost impossible to see whats going on. So then you have to move your character which can take several seconds due to the starting and stopping animations of your character. Graphically it looks very nice, the shiny armor is way over the top but that really doesnt bother me so much. Its the little things like when you go into a conversation with someone, the person you are talking to is quieter than the rest of the game and often times their voice will only come out of 1 speaker, depending on which side of you the camera shifts to. Does that with headphones or on regular speakers.

So far I have to say I am not loving this version. Crashes aside, it feels like a very unpolished console port.

• UncleTopherUncleTopher Member UncommonPosts: 36

I implore anyone weighing their options to wait. This game is a stinking pile of offal right now. Many, many people who shelled out their $$60-70  for it are going bananas and EA is dropping the ball big time as far as fixing anything.

The game has DirectX problems galore for most AMD Radeon users as well as many Nvidia users. The "Answers HQ" EA uses as a sort of peer to peer help desk is going berserk right now, as EA tried to say this major flaw that causes GPU's to "hang" was SOLVED. Not by a freaking long shot is it solved. Also anyone who is overclocked, or many people I should say, is/ are having issues. The DX error you get very clearly states that the problem is due to badly written code.

Once you get beyond the very large  DX problems, there are a litany of other issues ranging from people ordering the Deluxe Digital edition and not getting a lot of their bonus stuff, to other in game anomalies that cause crashes etc.

Simply put, the game is nigh unplayable atm for a lot of people. Save yourself the frustration and wait until EA performs an emergency reversal of their obvious rectal-cranial inversion and straightens this mess out.

Tophiate
    Co-Founder of Elder Moot
    SotA Founder

You touched on something I meant to also address, DoomsDay, thanks.

The gaming/publishing companies must own the people that review these games because I heard nothing but SHINING, AMAZING, OUTSTANDING reviews of this game. I mean it was like this game was the second freakin' coming. SKYRIM PART DEUX BUT BETTER!!

NO WAY did ALL of those people writing these bullshit reviews not know there was a bug ridden mess laying in wait for those of us gullible enough to believe what we read. Someone knew something and no one said anything.

Shame on EA / Bioware for releasing an unfinished product and shame on  anyone who reviewed this PC version and said nothing.

A Pox on all your houses I say!!!

Tophiate
    Co-Founder of Elder Moot
    SotA Founder

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
      Cons    Immersion breaking skin, hair, lip textures  Inexplicable game crashes  Too shiny armor

Stated at the end of this article.  Immersion breaking and sudden game crashes are like big red flags.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• Adjuvant1Adjuvant1 Member RarePosts: 2,100
    Originally posted by UncleTopher

Shame on EA / Bioware for releasing an unfinished product and shame on  anyone who reviewed this PC version and said nothing.

I'm not enjoying the game so much. I wouldn't give it a horrible score, but it's certainly nowhere near "RPG Crown". I think that statement is out of control...

...but this from UncleTopher, all EA products have lately been like this. I think you must have been away for awhile or something to expect better from EA right now. I got it in spite of my own suspicions, and it's not like I want my money back, but it's like, "oh, EA did it again, sigh.".

• RetiredRetired Member UncommonPosts: 744

image Immersion breaking skin, hair, lip textures

image Too shiny armor

Won't be reading this review. Wish Bill would have reviewed it, graphics are great.

It's all true Adjuvant...I haven't really been involved with a lot of mainstream, AAA titles other than TESO lately. I made the same mistake I seem to make once every few years of trusting reviews as accurate and putting aside my suspicions of huge, mega conglomerates like EA...and getting burned.

This is a perfect example of why I have recently buried my nose in smaller titles like The Repopulation and Shroud of the Avatar. The big boys just don't seem to get it anymore. I am more than happy to work within the development parameters of a smaller, well defined, forward thinking development/publishing company than to give another nickel to these blood sucking beasts who mass produce absolute crap.

Making quality games is an art. Good art cannot be produced for mass consumption. I will learn one of these days.

Tophiate
    Co-Founder of Elder Moot
    SotA Founder

Originally posted by Retired

image Immersion breaking skin, hair, lip textures

image Too shiny armor

Won't be reading this review. Wish Bill would have reviewed it, graphics are great.

As far as textures go, it depends on your settings.

If you put them down to say, medium, they look like shiny plastic. It's really disturbing. They have to be "high" or "ultra" to look good.

I'm not yet sure what the issues with skin and lips, seeing Lelianna up close I can't but think she almost looks real.

I think it's how the settings are "set" that is the issue.

• Pratt2112Pratt2112 Member UncommonPosts: 1,636
    Originally posted by gervaise1
    Originally posted by Sovrath

Originally posted by gervaise1

Looks good from the video review.

Limited supply of health potions - that's OK; familiar to any player of pen and paper, Baldur's Gate, even WoW etc. ..... at least I hope that's what it is.

Will be interesting to see what sort of business model Bioware are going with: no sub; I assume b2p and DLC - although they have talked about "free" updates, maybe a mix of free and paid DLC / full fledged expansions? A part of me has visions of them charging for potions, armour repair and who knows what else.

This is a single player game with multi-player component. It seems from your post that you think this is an mmo?

No.

As you say it is a single player game with co-op. A more interesting question, imo, is how many "mmos" are single player games with co-op! 

Touche'!

Sad, but true.

• Sevenstar61Sevenstar61 Member UncommonPosts: 1,686

I agree that hair need some work LOL, they are horrible, especially that you can actually create a really cool looking character, and they only lacking feature are hair.

Somebody said about missing deluxe items. I thought so too, but as I played the special delivery box kept filling. Not sure if it's related to level or to certain progress in game (I think the latter) . I already got my second armor with different color and it looks great and the items from minigame on Dragon Keep, that I thought were lost were also delivered at certain progress time. I actually was very surprised that I got the second armor, now I am curious if there will be more of that. I am level 12 right now and still way to go LOL. 

Game is amazing. I had so far no problem with crashes. The only complain are long loading screens, but I can live with it. I am absolutely immersed in the storyline... glued to my chair from the morning until it's time to sleep (took 2 weeks of vacations for this game). and I absollutely love it.. I am already planning what toon I am going to play next, probably double blades roque. I made Cole Assassin and hr is awesome. There are some really powerful daggers in the game LOL. Playing mage.

There are some really cool things in the game. Like the cutscens of your journey to Skuhold and when you arrive so much is in ruin, but after you return from the mission you find it under construction and much more areas accessible. Or other example of how weather changes after you close rifts... at some areas. 

Sith Warrior - Story of Hate and Love http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxKrlwXt7Ao
    Imperial Agent - Rise of Cipher Nine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBBj3eJWBvU&feature=youtu.be
    Imperial Agent - Hunt for the Eagle Part 1http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQqjYYU128E

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,981
    I am seeing some iffy reviews from the public on this one. It reminds many of DA2 and we know what a fiasco that was.
  • ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690

Story so far is good but hate all side quests. It feels like just a bunch of go fetch and go kill quests.  I need my Mass Effect back!

• b003b003 Member UncommonPosts: 54
    The RPG Crown has Healers and more than 8 potions.
  • sketocafesketocafe Member UncommonPosts: 950
    How is it possible to review a game with micro-transactions and fail to include the phrase even once? I mean, how does that even work? You didn't notice? You don't think it's worth mentioning?
  • gunmanvladgunmanvlad Member UncommonPosts: 281

Lol, I was not expecting MMO players to still fall for "pre-order" and "day 1" play offers...you still need to live through a few more MMO launches kids :))

Lots of games (read "most") with multiplayer elements are now taking pages out of the MMO launch book and releasing half-baked products with tons of bugs for easy profits. Watch Dogs, AC:Unity, Battlefield, etc. examples are endless really.

Just stop buying games in week 1 or pre-ordering them lol. If you wait at least a month you get a much better price, quite a few DLCs perhaps, and a TON of bug fixes....for God's sake there are NO downsides!!! You still play the game, you still experience everything, and you SAVE some cash and the pain of dealing with bugs...

In terms of DA:I, honestly the fact that you get 50-50 between super-positive and super-negative just shows how many retards roam the internet. Those are mostly fanboys who don't care about the bugs/stupid elements or kids who just want to complain about something (and don't really care what it is). Give it at least 1 month to get some decent reviews out there imo. I know I'll buy it because I enjoyed the previous Dragon Age games, and like the universe, but I sure as heck won't buy it for a few more weeks.

• EladiEladi Member UncommonPosts: 1,145

This game is not as good as game reviewers try to make us believe.

Non of them talk about the crappy performance of the game even the best PC's can't run this game smootly without issues atm.

Non of them talk about the DRM (well most do not) this version of the DRM is actualy destroying hardware. its read/write to SSD's is extreme and it even causes overheating of the system due to some weird bug that makes youre cpu and gpu (or apu) 100% active at all times even when doing Nothing!.

There is a  soft-forced trinity in the game, you must have a thief, a warrior a mage (healer) in youre party at all times.

you cant acces sertain side quest whitout companion of saya  thief to open doors..or a warrior to bash in a wall/door  or a mage to destroy a magical barier.

the game has no open zones at all, everywere are invisible walls, some rocks that are as high as youre big toe you cant climb or you run into magical walls of nothing in the ' visual open"  zones.

There will be no modding.. one play is all you get, the game is very repeatable and simply plain boring to go true a 2th time. and if youre a diehard and wish to try out the other gender you sertainly wont do a 3th time, racial choices have little to no impact on the story / quest.

I love the game for its story, I hate it  for nearly everyting else....