Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

World of Warcraft: Largest Subreddit Shut Down Briefly as a Protest

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Over the weekend, the largest World of Warcraft subReddit was shut down temporarily by one of its moderators. The shutdown was seen as a way to protest the recent server woes that World of Warcraft has been undergoing since the launch of the Warlords of Draenor expansion last week. Once this particular editor was able to log into WoW, the subReddit was reopened but the backlash against his decision has been a phenomenon all its own.

According to an interesting investigative piece at TheNoseMilk.com, angry /r/WoW are having posts deleted from the hugely popular Reddit stream and several are working to create a new space for all things World of Warcraft related.

Of particular note is that the anger is directed at this one individual and whether or not any single person should have the ability to summarily shut down a popular subReddit on his or her own.

Moderator Nitesmoke claimed that his actions were a protest against WoW developers and issues with their new expansion. Over the past few days from release, there have been many issues including server wide lag, queue times, and DDOS attacks that have increased the pressure on the WoW development team. Regardless, what gives him the right to shut down a community? This only draws attention to the design of Reddit, in which some individuals are given complete power over thousands. Nitesmoke is the original creator of the subreddit and has total control over the entire community- and at this point, he still rests on his throne.

Read more at the link above and be sure to leave us your thoughts in the comments.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,508

Meh, who cares, Reddit is irrelevant in the greater scheme of things.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• chronoss2015chronoss2015 Member UncommonPosts: 217

reddit became irrelevant after the snowden docs were revealed and that site became pro govt

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593
    Originally posted by Kyleran

Yep, I could not care less about reddit.

• IkedaIkeda Member RarePosts: 2,751

I don't get Reddit....

Kids and their newfangled crap....

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,015
    Originally posted by DMKano
    A single mod should not have the power of shutting down an entire sub reddit. Ridiculous.

I agree.

So he threw a fit because of his own issues (which is fine, he can have his "reasons") with the game but inconvenienced everybody else because the world revolves around him.

I suppose it would be too much to ask to have him spanked and grounded until he learned his lesson?

Probably so.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Originally posted by Sovrath
    A single mod should not have the power of shutting down an entire sub reddit. Ridiculous.

I agree.

So he threw a fit because of his own issues (which is fine, he can have his "reasons") with the game but inconvenienced everybody else because the world revolves around him.

I suppose it would be too much to ask to have him spanked and grounded until he learned his lesson?

Probably so.

So he threw a hissy fit and chucked the toys out of the pram, silly boy, about the only thing thats going to come of that act is that the people who used his reddit (sub reddit?) will probably go somewhere else. What an idiot image

• tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227

Is this not the central problem with reddit as a whole. Way to many ways for someone to lose sight of what is in essence voluntary work for no gain and go bananas with the ownership and... well... Lust for power. 

After all beyond the basic guidelines of reddit (that they them self say are voluntary at best) and governing legal documents... There is no real good way to police the people who create reddits... Yeah i guess if it becomes as big as the WoW one... As seen in this case. But how many smaller reddit boards out there are run like the "owners" private Tropico.... Not news per se... Many smaller game and hobby forums have had this problem since... well... the days of BBS´s.

Still... It is kind of hilarious.

This have been a good conversation

• ArawulfArawulf Guest WriterMember UncommonPosts: 597

This ^

I'm glad reddit admins stepped up and handed the sub over to more reasonable hands

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,768
    Originally posted by Phry

I agree.

Probably so.

So he threw a hissy fit and chucked the toys out of the pram, silly boy, about the only thing thats going to come of that act is that the people who used his reddit (sub reddit?) will probably go somewhere else. What an idiot image

What ended up happening was the actual reddit admins came in and banned him from the subreddit from what I read.

• YaevinduskYaevindusk Member RarePosts: 2,094
    Originally posted by Panther2103
    Originally posted by Phry

I agree.

Probably so.

What ended up happening was the actual reddit admins came in and banned him from the subreddit from what I read.

This is what I heard as well while perusing WoW twitch streams.  The owner of the World of Warcraft subreddit petitioned to take control of r/wow and the admins stripped ownership from the one who brought it down, and gave it to him.

I've never used reddit before, but it sucks to try and punish an entire community from talking about something they may be enthusiastic about.  Many were calling this guy a "Manchild" for making this decision for everyone.

Due to frequent travel in my youth, English isn't something I consider my primary language (and thus I obtained quirky ways of writing).  German and French were always easier for me despite my family being U.S. citizens for over a century.  Spanish I learned as a requirement in school, Japanese and Korean I acquired for my youthful desire of anime and gaming (and also work now).  I only debate in English to help me work with it (and limit things).  In addition, I'm not smart enough to remain fluent in everything and typically need exposure to get in the groove of things again if I haven't heard it in a while.  If you understand Mandarin, I know a little, but it has actually been a challenge and could use some help.

Also, I thoroughly enjoy debates and have accounts on over a dozen sites for this.  If you wish to engage in such, please put effort in a post and provide sources -- I will then do the same with what I already wrote (if I didn't) as well as with my responses to your own.  Expanding my information on a subject makes my stance either change or strengthen the next time I speak of it or write a thesis.  Allow me to thank you sincerely for your time.
  • SerignuadSerignuad Member UncommonPosts: 98

I'm so maad that criminals have piled up a bunch of garbage on the tracks and have caused great delays in the subway timetables... so I go out on the street and hold a newspaper stand hostage and keep people from buying a newspaper for a couple of hours.

That'll show em!!!

We need to start thinking of MMO's as we do music or literature or the movies. There is not one MMO or one game that will be universally satisfactory to everyone's taste. MMO's don't come in one genre just as books or music doesn't come in one genre. Change and innovation is a good thing in the MMO industry just as it is in literature and music, but every MMO doesn't need to push the envelope or be cutting edge to be "good" or fun. It just needs to be good. The same is true for music. The same is true for books or for movies. Music evolves. MMO's evolve. Storytelling evolves. And in doing so, it doesn't make obsolete or not enjoyable everything that's been done before. 
  • azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105

Actually you'd be wrong.  Reddit is hugely relevant as many sub-Reddits allow negative opinions and bad mouthing.  Which is largely not allowed on this site or others.  Negativity can be a force for change as well as good.  Opinions may not matter to you or to the moderators here on these forums but on Reddit it allows me to vent and call out idiots when it is deserved.  Something not allowed here ever.  And I think I'm not alone in this.  Venting is cathartic at times.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• GestankfaustGestankfaust Member UncommonPosts: 1,989
    Originally posted by kairel182

Wait.  This is an actual news article?

Are you serious?

I'm sure Blizzard is going to be losing a lot of sleep over a fucking "sub" forum on a site full of pointless random crap.  Oh, and thanks for letting the rest of us know who don't care about either one so we can grab the popcorn for this clown show.

What a joke.

^Exactly....I find it all hilarious myself.

Hope you have enough corn fer me and some others....we're stopping by :P

"This may hurt a little, but it's something you'll get used to. Relax....."

• GestankfaustGestankfaust Member UncommonPosts: 1,989
    Originally posted by azzamasin

Actually you'd be wrong.  Reddit is hugely relevant as many sub-Reddits allow negative opinions and bad mouthing.  Which is largely not allowed on this site or others.  Negativity can be a force for change as well as good.  Opinions may not matter to you or to the moderators here on these forums but on Reddit it allows me to vent and call out idiots when it is deserved.  Something not allowed here ever.  And I think I'm not alone in this.  Venting is cathartic at times.

Still irrelevant....

"This may hurt a little, but it's something you'll get used to. Relax....."

• ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361
    phenomenon huh...ok
  • GanksinatraGanksinatra Member UncommonPosts: 455
    Less than a week later, there is nearly no queues, no lag, and the expansion is great. Best since TBC at least, maybe better. This reminds me of the Family Guy episode where someone flips over the couch over nothing and Stewie makes the snarky comment "So.....that was an appropriate response, huh?".....
  • ThebeastttThebeasttt Member RarePosts: 1,130

An insignificant subreddit gets shutdown and it makes MMO news.

I'm not sure if it's because WoW is that big or this website is that bad.

• GoldenArrowGoldenArrow Member UncommonPosts: 1,186

I think it was quite funny. Some kid getting a hizzy fit because he can't login to the most popular server during prime time.

"I will close the subreddit to make a stand against this big bad corrupted company".

Ten minutes later he is banned and blizzard is in charge of the subreddit.

The definition of getting owned.

• JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849
    "Mods" ruin the internet.......
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916
    Why so much hate against reddit? I like reddit. Sometimes it's better to go there and discuss a game because you wouldnt have all the trolls. Trolling is too common on forum boards wheere you have a lot of games being discussed. It's human nature to trash other people's choices.

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• newtextdocumentnewtextdocument Member Posts: 37
    Originally posted by thunderC
    "Mods" ruin the internet.......

I don't know about this site as Ive only just started checking it out but in my experience mods do usually ruin chat rooms.

They are often tyrannical, hopefully this site is different though (fingers crossed).

• newtextdocumentnewtextdocument Member Posts: 37

Btw reddit is relevant, millions of people use or read on reddit about lots of topics. It has massive reach and a large fan base, me included.

I started reading reddit by fluke when I 1st started weight lifting and now check it quite regularly.

This guy was obviously pissed off at Blizzard for screwing up the launch of the wow expansion so he protested in what I think is a very effective way.

He got 100s of people to comment on his actions and inconvenienced 1000s the way blizzard did.

Personally, I think he got his message out loud and clear that Blizzard screwed up and in a very smart way. I definitely get what he did.

• slickbizzleslickbizzle Member Posts: 464

I think I've grown too old to understand e-protests.

It's the equivalent of not liking the service at a restaurant, still going back religiously and giving your money, but vow to not tell a friend about the place.  The restaurant doesn't suffer. lol

It's silliness.

• grimgryphongrimgryphon Member CommonPosts: 682
    Originally posted by GoldenArrow

I think it was quite funny. Some kid getting a hizzy fit because he can't login to the most popular server during prime time.

"I will close the subreddit to make a stand against this big bad corrupted company".

Ten minutes later he is banned and blizzard is in charge of the subreddit.

The definition of getting owned.

Not only that, but his Twitter account is deleted as well. I can just imagine that backlash that ensued there. Way to get run off the Internet. 

Lesson: Don't piss of WoW fanboys ;-)

Optional PvP = No PvP
  • TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

So it's his subreddit, one he thought of, started and managed?  Then he gets to control it.  Don't like it?  Start one of your own, spend all the time it takes to manage it and compete with all the other subreddits that want to be "The One".

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.