Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

To PvPers looking for a new MMO

RollieJoeRollieJoe Member UncommonPosts: 451

Have you considered trying SMITE?  If not, let me take you through some of the reasons you should:

1) Free-to-play without pay-to-win.  No other major f2p title does f2p better, or even comes close (edit: a friend corrected me, the exception would be DOTA2).

2) No gear grind of any kind.  The very first game you play you will have equal access to every item.

3) Plays like an action MMORPG.  Unlike League of Legends, DOTA, and every other MOBA game out there, SMITE is the only one that plays like an MMORPG.  Its 3rd person, with active combat and WASD movement. 

4) A great community.  Ah ha...ah hahaha...ah...oh my.   No, I kid of course.  The community is quite terrible, but no worse than virtually all other MMO experiences.  The key is to find the right players to game with.

5) A great time to begin playing.  Right now the big $2,000,000 tournament is coming up soon so there's tons of Twitch/Youtube/etc.  streaming going on.  Players are available 24/7 with minimal wait.  Its a polished experience with virtually no major bugs, and it keeps getting better with each patch. 

Finally, for players new to SMITE, or perhaps new to MOBA's in general, I'm happy to help you get introduced to the game and help you with the basics!  So if you have any questions about the game, or want some help/company getting started, just leave a reply.

Edit: URL to the SMITE website - www.hirezstudios.com/smite

Comments

• lcddigitallcddigital Member Posts: 24

I don't like lack of gear.

I think gear adds and extra dimension to character building in rpgs.

In the end you should have to make a combination of skills, gear, professions, pets and anything else to make your perfect build and then compete with others with different builds.

In my opinion, ofcourse.

• RollieJoeRollieJoe Member UncommonPosts: 451
    Originally posted by lcddigital

I don't like lack of gear.

I think gear adds and extra dimension to character building in rpgs.

In the end you should have to make a combination of skills, gear, professions, pets and anything else to make your perfect build and then compete with others with different builds.

In my opinion, ofcourse.

I agree with you, and to clarify, SMITE *does* have a wide selection of gear!  There is just no grind to get it, meaning you don't need to spend thousands of hours (or dollars) to have a fair fight, and the gear isn't permanent (you can reselect new gear each match).  Depending which gear you decide to use, the same character will play dramatically different which lets each player experiment.

Personally I love "thinking outside the box" and trying unorthodox builds, and I've had a great deal of success in SMITE doing just that.  Hope that helps clear things up.

• lcddigitallcddigital Member Posts: 24

Its a decent concept but I want to have to work for my gear too.

Im not looking for a game with a quick fix equaliser for pvp like guild wars 2 with its structured pvp.

I want to pvp and have us all start at the same place sure but not be equal when it comes to pvp.

That means some people have to have better builds than others, some better gear, some the same level of gear but better gear combinations.

I want to be able to work to create a character building advantage with skill ideally but im with you all the way about a pvp mmo or a mmo with a big pvp aspect.

I just want it to be adult with no quick fixes for mistakes and complex character building that cant be copied so people are truly forced to customise.

There are a million casual mmos atm so for people who don't want this, don't moan, there are many more casual mmos for you but there is stilla  massive market for the competitive gamer.

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593
    MOBA PvP and MMORPG PvP is not the same thing. I do MOBA PvP when I just want to have a short, meaningless fun, PvP session. I do MMORPG PvP to progress my character and fight over persistent areas. Granted most MMORPGS these days have just devolved into the same meaningless PvP as MOBAs, except the PvP is worse, but that does not mean that is all there is to MMORPG PvP.
  • AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,836

My problem with Smite is this: the developers took an overly structured stance when attempting to evolve the game over its lifetime.

Closed Beta Smite was a really good game. It was fresh, exciting, and it lent itself to a pretty free-form metagame - something that the moba genre has been in desperate need of. Already, however, the jungle was starting to become problematic, as "dipping" into the jungle on the side lanes was discovered as an important strategy for gaining that early dominance through buffs. This was not an enormous issue, however, as the lack of requirement for a dedicated jungler and the complete independence of the mid lane from jungling at all helped to keep things flexible.

Unfortunately, the developers made it worse, probably to appease the jungling community. Now, not only is jungling an expected part of the metagame - a weakness shared by only League of Legends and Infinite Crisis - but jungle dipping has taken on a more demanding form for every player on the team, including the middle lane. This is asinine in concept, and it really adds far to much structure to an otherwise solid game in a genre that should be all about breaking this kind of stagnation through innovation in team comps.

It's unfortunate that the Smite community and developers are essentially enforcing an even more stringent version of the oppressive League of Legends meta - a meta that has ensured that League of Legends is only a dull, repetitive shadow of the game it was in Season 1.

• PaRoXiTiCPaRoXiTiC Member UncommonPosts: 603

We are talking about a company that milks a game as nothing but a cash cow and then abandon's it. HiRez is a bad bad gaming company. I would not trust them with my money, nor will I ever play another game of theirs.

Signed

A pissed off Tribes:Ascend player.

• AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,836
    Originally posted by PaRoXiTiC

We are talking about a company that milks a game as nothing but a cash cow and then abandon's it. HiRez is a bad bad gaming company. I would not trust them with my money, nor will I ever play another game of theirs.

Signed

A pissed off Tribes:Ascend player.

I feel your pain. I loved Tribes:Ascend. It brought more to its genre than Smite has to its own, and I really would have liked to see the two games flourish side-by-side.

Now, I don't know of any games that could replace Tribes fully, but I was in the alpha for a highly enjoyable game called Chroma - made by Harmonix. It's a music-based team shooter that brings a small bit of that mobility back (if you can time your jumps to the beat) while bringing in some interesting mechanics. It might be up your alley, and, even if it (when it eventually comes back for CB or whatever) isn't as deep as Tribes was, it's still something that I'd recommend for a fun experience.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Moba's aren't really what i would call PVP, for decent PVP i would recommend either Planetside 2, or Eve Online, but if you are that set on playing a Moba, then i think LOL and DOTA2 probably have it covered far better than Smite does.. if in doubt though, check out youtube or even twitch.. pretty much says it all just looking at some of the fan vids tbh. image
  • rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870

Smite is hands down one of the best skill-based, 3rd person, action combat, fantasy, PVP games there is.  The f2p model is also top notch.  I unlocked pretty much every god I wanted with out paying a dime.  I also hate pushing lanes like typical MOBAs  so their arena and assault modes are nice and let you focus on the fighting of other players instead of jungling and dealing with who is going where or to which lane. 

The title for this thread is misleading though because Smite is definitely not an MMO.  That said though, those who are used to action based combat in MMO PVP should be able to fill at home with Smite, unless you are the type of player that depends on superior gear over  timing and aiming skill.  Plus the devs seem to add a new god at least every month and keep coming up with ways to really make each of the gods feel different with their abilities and ultimates.  Very fun game.

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor