Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Can newbies get into World of Warcraft at this stage?

Comments

• whisperwyndwhisperwynd Member UncommonPosts: 1,668

Never too late really. WoW's expansions come out roughly every two years, and players have already hit lvl cap. So you'll have more than enough time to enjoy what it has to offer and see whether it is your cup of tea or not.

Like others have said, you may not see the same things others have pre-Cataclysm, but it won't hinder your enjoyment one bit.

I no longer play but it was a really fun game when I did.  image

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100

I have played since 1999 Everquest and loved both Everquest and Everquest 2 but the combat they showed completely turned me off EQ Next. I am playing FFXIV ARR am not playing WoW.

OP you will have a great experience with WoW try it out and judge it for yourself. There is no need to take anyone's word for it just try it for yourself.

Anyone saying WoW is dying has bats in the belfry.

Chamber of Chains
  • Varex12Varex12 Member CommonPosts: 357
    Originally posted by jetavon

Why play such an old game? it wont last you even a few years, you wont have time to get sucked in like these original wow fanboys.

If you keep tossing out words like "fanboys," you're probably going to have to get a third account ready.  

• FreezzoFreezzo Member UncommonPosts: 235

I started playing WoW a few months (4 in playtime, holidays in between) back. Aside from having a lull before the expansion hit, where my shaman just hit 90 and any prograssion for about two weeks felt utterly useless, I'm having a blast. And I filled the lull with getting me some shiny mounts, which is nice. :)

Definately worth giving a shot!

ps: it can happen you think the combat is dull/annoying. Class choice does matter a lot for enjoyment, but that's probably not really news ;)

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." - John F. Kennedy
    And for MMORPGs ever so true...

• holyneoholyneo Member UncommonPosts: 154

You should be fine, and will enjoy the game.  I suggest you give it a try.  Before buying do the free to play first, to make sure you will enjoy it.

People that are saying wow is dying, is wrong.  Many fans are too invested into the game for it to die.  Maybe not all 11 mil player base might not play at the same time.  They sure come back here and there, just not at the same time. I bet when the movie comes out it will incarnate many players back as well.

• Colt47Colt47 Member UncommonPosts: 549
    Originally posted by jbriskey
    Wow is a dying game? Lol...sure buddy, what ever you say... to the op, go ahead and give it a try. Wow is easy to pick up and learn...there's a lot of content but it goes by pretty fast.

People have been using that editorial fire starter of a headline as fact for years now.  WoW definitely isn't dieing, it's just slowly morphing as it's popularity dwindles and people are moving on to newer experiences.   There are older titles still lingering about than World of Warcraft, and I have no doubt that in the next decade we will still have world of warcraft lurking in the background.  

• TsumoroTsumoro Member UncommonPosts: 435
    Originally posted by rabiddog888

To be honest with you, wow is a dying game.

It is losing subscribers, it uses past generation graphics, past generation gameplay and wont last many more years.

Instead of getting onto wow, I think youa re better off waiting a month or 2 till Everquest Next is released and getting on board  premium mmo rpg of the next generation.

It uses next gen mmo graphics, next gen mmo gameplay, next gen mmo ai rather than a dying game like wow trying to hold onto the last little bit of life it can milk out of it.

Not only that but since you can buy a boost to level 90 now, you wont learn how to play wow by levelling if you buy the boost and if you don't, you will be surrounded by people who have and be left behind.

Skip WoW, wait a few monthes for everyquest next.

below is the edit

just thought Id put in that Everquest Next is set for a 2015 launch and is in beta so all the people who say that it wont be out for ages, Im sure you can wait 3 or 6 monthes for its launch rather than playing wow for 6 monthes and getting no where.

Your post made me chuckle, mainly because of the personal bias involved. When you say "to be honest with you" what does that actually mean? Are some WoW players lying to a potential audience that the game is alive and kicking? Is there a conspiracy going on here? No, there is not. OP has asked a question that they need some help on, its not really meant to be a platform for you to list the things you dislike and sneak a plug in there for EQN. 

OP allow me to help answer your questionn and to give some context to the stuff listed by this poster - 

Yes newbies can get into WoW at this stage, I would recommend you pick up the latest version with the boost to 90, this will allow you to be concurrent with other players to enjoy the game as a hole. Playing the game from the start will be fun, but expect yourself to be on your own for a good while. Make a main, role an alt is what I say. 

Now - 

WoW indeed loses subs, it also gains them. The amount of subs the game needs to stay profitable as well as making sure you can enjoy all content in a reasonable time will not deminish any time soon. There are successful MMO's out there, but WoW numbers are not really impacted. Like myself, I enjoy Final Fantasy 14, I am taking a break on that to play WoW again, then i'll switch back. Lots of players behave like I do. So with regards to population, nothing to fear. 

There is no such thing as past generation graphics, only graphics used to suit the tone of the game. Graphics can be dated, but WoW is not. The graphics reflects their style and they improve on them, such as WOD is better in graphics than MOP and MOP was better than CATA etc etc. The style stays the same, the graphics get improved. Get what im saying?

As for holding on to what they can milk from it, well untrue, it has more players in its worst than MMO's do in their peak. The only other MMO I know to hold such a turn of players in Runescape. I love Final Fantasy 14, its strong with subs, but nowhere near WoW. One day, perhaps. But presently WoW is King. 

WoW is actually easy to play, more now than ever, you have a core set of abilities. You utilise them through playing. The game even instructs you how to use these abilities. It's pretty much idiot proof. My younger brother is 18, boosted a warrior and is tanking in Draenor. My girlfriend never played WoW before, boosted a Druid and is dpsing just fine. You'll be fine. 

I should say that pre end game will not be as busy as WOD content, but you'll do just thing. You'll quest alone a lot of the time, but dungeons and so forth work as normal. 

As for EQN, do not be fool-hardy, let the game come out for a bit. I'm interested in giving that game a go also, but with how Landmark is presently (although not a real reflection on EQN) I would say it's best to hang on until you see something actually concrete. A lot of hype on this game without anything really to show for it presently, a lot of smoke being pumped out but no fire to see where its coming from. 

Realisitcally, EQ and EQ2 have quite an outdated mindset to it, hopefully they learn from Wildstar and make this more engaing to the players rather than cosmic time-sinks with very little pay-off. 

I loved EQ, it was a second home for me, but I was 18 at the time, working minimal hours and living at home, I really wouldn't be able to play EQ now as I did then, same goes for Vanilla WoW. 

• StanleyMStanleyM Member Posts: 14

I decided to reply quickly to sometimes shortened multi-quotes as a thanks for all the replies/information/help.

Originally posted by Sovrath

I don't think it's going to be overwhelming at all.

I made a character at launch (oh so many years ago) but never really got it higher than the 30's.

I just downloaded the game again and it seems pretty straightforward.

I "suspect" that the early content (for your earlier levels) might be presented somewhat differently from content for the later levels as the conversations I've seen seem to talk about how later quests are so much fun. Early quests seem to be click on ! kill a few things and go back to ?.

I'm not sure how much different they are.

Sounds great. I'm starting from level 1 just for fun.

Originally posted by Ikeda
    Keep in mind with Cataclysm they completely redid the starter zones anyways... so no, it's not too late.  You won't get the original quests but the newer ones... but that's not necessarily a bad thing.  The newer quests tend to be more entertaining IMO.  But I'm also not a WoW regular.  I may go back and do some leveling once this launch stuff clears up, but until then... not so much.

I'm a casual player too.

just thought Id put in that Everquest Next is set for a 2015 launch and is in beta so all the people who say that it wont be out for ages, Im sure you can wait 3 or 6 monthes for its launch rather than playing wow for 6 monthes and getting no where.

I look forward to see what EQN becomes, until then I'll try WoW.

Wow is a dying game? Lol...sure buddy, what ever you say... to the op, go ahead and give it a try. Wow is easy to pick up and learn...there's a lot of content but it goes by pretty fast.

Will try it, thank you.

Its a dying game man, its been dying for years, the only reason some people came back was for this last expansion which lets you buy a boost to lvl 90 lol.

Worst case if there is no people doing dungeons at the lowest levels at all, then and only then would I consider a boost.

Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

wait two weeks till the servers are settled

Buy hte game and the WoD expansion pack

activate your free level 90

quickly learn your skills in the tutorial

and join where everyone is, the level 90 to 100 content

You will really enjoy that...

I think this is the right time to start, or rejoin WoW ...

Now all Blizzard needs to do is find out how to make those first 90 levels attractive and accessible again..

Thanks for the tip. I have read about he crazy queue times so I will take your advice.

Yeh spend your money on the game WoW, the expansion pack for wow and the subscription then get the boost to level 90 so you have 10 levels of mind numbingly slow levelling to play 10 levels worth of content in last gen graphics, last gen gameplay, last gen questing. last gen simplistic ai, last gen class building or wait a few monthes and play a premium next gen mmo with more than 10 levels of content in Everquest Next.

My issue is really not the money, I can get both etc.

Originally posted by darkhigh

OP go for it, I hope you find something worth staying for. That's what all of us here are looking for is an MMO to call home. Some find it, most of us here don't, or do but the publisher ruins it.... looking at you TRION...

I'm a very casual niche player. I always pick one class/character to play in an MMO and stick to what I love, questing and dungeons, and stay away from raids.

Originally posted by jesteralways
    Yes absolutely can. 1st 15 level takes too long but after that it is breeze through LFG. And i am guessing you are good at reading and you will be reading each and every ability and talent and tool tip properly. it will not be hard for you to complete dungeon at all, just say 1st hand that you are 1st time in. pvp is pretty much heirloom fest and without them you will suck a lot and will be one hitted constantly, don't bother with it, just focus on getting xp from the pvp. by the time you reach 60 you will have a greater grip of the game and that' about it.

I will read the tooltips, forums guides, etc. Thanks Jester.

Why would he bother levelling normally though, there is boost to level 90 now so if he levels slowly, he will be alone and left behind.

On the other hand if he uses the level 90 boost, he will only have 10 levels worth of content for all the money hes spent.

its lose lose.

There is an expression that goes "role with punches". If the lower levels are empty, go to 90. If that's not good, move to EQN etc. It's just like life in general.

Originally posted by kikosforever
    To the OP.  If i was you i would stay away. Not because its a bad game or dying or craps like that, but because if you are new to WoW then you will loose the essence of time. Especially if you have family etc stay away :)

That's good advice kikosforever. Thank you.

Originally posted by Comaf

So, the answer is, you could wait until your guild has the top gear dungeons on farm status, and roll a few weeks with then and be equally geared as Bob the Dwarf, who has been plugging away his nights since 2004.

I really am just a casual niche player. I'm not looking to mooch/leech of others hard work. For me it's just questing and the non end-game/raid dungeons purely for the experience and fun.

Originally posted by drbaltazar
    Dont sweat it,always teeming with people low or high.if you love lore .it is better to start at the start.chose a race for its lore and focus on that.all race had their fair share of trouble so any story is good.make sure to chose a server thataim your faction.illidan is horde

Very good advice imho.

Originally posted by Luccheno

Try it out. If it is fun, it'll be worth your time. If not, was a nice try.

OK :)

Originally posted by Jean-Luc_Picard

If you're new to WoW right now, you'll have so many things to do it will take you ages to approach it all.

WoW may be labelled a "theme park" by the "elite" here, and I kinda agree, but there's no other theme park MMO with so many different things to do. Even more now with Draenor and the Garrisons. It's a game where you can still scratch your head when you log on and ask yourself "so what am I going to do today?".

I understand that WoW is huge, however I'm pretty specific to  what I consider fun and stick to that. If it's not possible well then I'll play some other game or single player game. 

PS: Just eddited my comments as the reason to why they were made are no longer present.

But as stated, just moderate your gameplay as the game has so much to offer to a new person, that you might actually loose track of time hehe. 

PLUS: you don't even need to buy WoD. If you want you can just enjoy the 1 to 90 stuff and then, after that if you think it's worth it, buy the expansion :)

Will do, I'm sticking to what I love and if that's not available, I'll find it elsewhere. Thanks!

Originally posted by StanleyM
    I'm a casual player so I would probably limit myself to one character, normal quests and dungeons. The end-game content in regards to raids is not really for me due to time constraints.

Then i'd really advise you to not buy WoD yet. Enjoy the leveling, maybe make more than one character to swap around and see diferent maps and stuff and u'll see that you can easily have a few months of fun with just lilttle time to play per day :)

This way you can just buy the new stuff as you need it (imagine you get bored after a month? maybe not worth buying WoD hehe) but it's up to you. I usually do that in games: i buy the basic, have some fun, and only invest further as i see fit/needed

Thank you for the tip, I haven't looked into the purchase options, but if I lose a $100, it's not really a big deal, I've lost and gained more on buying and selling shares in a nanosecond.

Originally posted by Hariken

Originally posted by kikosforever
    To the OP.  If i was you i would stay away. Not because its a bad game or dying or craps like that, but because if you are new to WoW then you will loose the essence of time. Especially if you have family etc stay away :)

So your saying the OP won't have any self control and let this happen to him? Did this happen to you ? Some people can play an mmo for an hour or two and call it a night. I know because i do it. 

I guess kikosforever is just expressing that if you're new to MMORPGs you may be sucked into it more than you thought from the beginning. I'm the same way as you Hariken, I play for fun, and have really nothing to prove more than having a great time.

Originally posted by Yamota

Question is, why would you play a 10 year old game? 

It is time for this relic to die!

Well, it has sort of stood the test of time, its one of the biggest, and I've played older MMOs previously and had a good time. At least WoW seems to have fun gameplay and not abandoned and put on life support like my previous MMO where all my friends gradually went to play other things.

Originally posted by Bigboo

Dear Op, I belive its your time and money we are talking about.

If u spend it on a game, music or pilsner its your decision.

Some here barks like a dog an are very rabid about their belifs. Some ppl are like russian dolls so full of them self.

Wow is a game with a huge variety, from noob to hard core raiders. Its your choice.

Wow is a solid game, u will get what u pay for, a game and some fun, its as simple as that. Its not life. Its only a game.

I hope u will have fun, or else change to the next game or the next after the next.

I pick noob, and I don't mind spending the money at all. Thanks for the well wishes.

Originally posted by Aelious
    StanleyM

WoW is a great game to play. It's smooth, strait forward, and has a great story. Even though WoW has been out a long time they have a tendency to change things up constantly so being a new player isn't a big deal. By design WoW breeds alts so you shouldn't have a problem getting into dungeons via the dungeon finder, especially if you like to tank or heal.

You can quest your way up as well and it wont take that long, albeit longer than dungeon runs. If by chance you like DPS I always would queue in the dungeon finder and quest while I waited. The wait times are dependent on what server/battlegroup you're on but all are similarly balanced.

A note about the instant 90 characters. First is that they have zones designed to show you the capabilities of each class and spec so you're not thrown "to the wolves" upon entering as a fresh 90. Plus, the recent "skill pruning" made the skill sets, especially at higher levels, streamlined where you're not staring at 40 buttons to start off.

I'm glad to hear WoW breeds alts. I'm looking forward to playing from level 1. I'm not sure I'll even use the level 90 boost if it's still available (by the looks of it, it is still available for free with the expansion). Thanks for the info Aelious!

Originally posted by slickbizzle

Hi,

Wondering if newbies can get into World of Warcraft at this stage? Is it worth it or a decade too late? I'm only thinking of the PvE aspect. Would it be overwhelming in any way?

Thanks,

Stanley

You start at level 1, so it's never too late to start.  Still a fun game for a lot of people. 

Great, thanks. :)

Originally posted by Arthasm
    OP, if you want start from level 1, wait at least 2 months for people to get burned, so they can start with new characters. There will be a little number of people doing low level dungeons, everyone now is hooked up with new expansion, so you might get stuck in queue for dungeons. And of course newbies can get into Wow, there's just many things to do for years. 

I don't mind getting stuck in the queue, but I see what you're saying. I rather try it now to be honest maybe it will be less angry/stressed out re-rolling people. ;)

Originally posted by KingLlama

I just made a account yesterday with the free trial hit 19 last night and could've hit 20 but I wanted to do battlegrounds.

I'm use to games like darkfall,mortal online, and uo so it's a whole new thing for me to not stress about dying every second.

Ah yes, Darkfall... death means you lose all your stuff if the legends are true. :)

End of reply #1. Thank you again to everyone that took the time to give a newbie some great info.

(Part 2)

Originally posted by Octagon7711

WoW is good for starting players.  I enjoyed playing the starter levels and you should give it a try.  I think they still have that play free till level 20 thing going anyway.  I had a lot of fun leveling and I wouldn't advise skipping lower level content.  No need to race through the game.

I wish I had a dollar for everytime I heard WoW is a dying game.  People leaving or not it's still the number one rated game on the market.  And to recommend it over games that have not been released yet.  Which means games that have an unproven track record. 

If you're looking for good starter games I really enjoyed SWTOR, WoW, Aion.  Someone should really write an article about which MMO's have the best starting areas.

SW:TOR the Agent story! I will start from level 1 in WoW. Thanks Octagon. :)

Originally posted by whisperwynd

Never too late really. WoW's expansions come out roughly every two years, and players have already hit lvl cap. So you'll have more than enough time to enjoy what it has to offer and see whether it is your cup of tea or not.

Like others have said, you may not see the same things others have pre-Cataclysm, but it won't hinder your enjoyment one bit.

I no longer play but it was a really fun game when I did.  image

This is what I like. My last MMO was basically just taking players money and putting it in their new development instead of developing the current MMO. It was on life support and a majority got tired of it and left. WoW seems well funded and developed. Thanks!

Originally posted by cheyane

I have played since 1999 Everquest and loved both Everquest and Everquest 2 but the combat they showed completely turned me off EQ Next. I am playing FFXIV ARR am not playing WoW.

OP you will have a great experience with WoW try it out and judge it for yourself. There is no need to take anyone's word for it just try it for yourself.

Anyone saying WoW is dying has bats in the belfry.

Will do, I played EQ2, Conjurer and Berserker. Had a great time, I miss some of the people from there.

Originally posted by Freezzo

I started playing WoW a few months (4 in playtime, holidays in between) back. Aside from having a lull before the expansion hit, where my shaman just hit 90 and any prograssion for about two weeks felt utterly useless, I'm having a blast. And I filled the lull with getting me some shiny mounts, which is nice. :)

Definately worth giving a shot!

ps: it can happen you think the combat is dull/annoying. Class choice does matter a lot for enjoyment, but that's probably not really news ;)

I will probably go for something where people are first or second to blame you if something goes wrong. Tank or healer. :)

Originally posted by holyneo

You should be fine, and will enjoy the game.  I suggest you give it a try.  Before buying do the free to play first, to make sure you will enjoy it.

People that are saying wow is dying, is wrong.  Many fans are too invested into the game for it to die.  Maybe not all 11 mil player base might not play at the same time.  They sure come back here and there, just not at the same time. I bet when the movie comes out it will incarnate many players back as well.

Good advice, will go free trial then buy. Thanks. :)

Originally posted by Colt47

People have been using that editorial fire starter of a headline as fact for years now.  WoW definitely isn't dieing, it's just slowly morphing as it's popularity dwindles and people are moving on to newer experiences.   There are older titles still lingering about than World of Warcraft, and I have no doubt that in the next decade we will still have world of warcraft lurking in the background.  

Oh yes, much older. Look at Asheron's Call (or Meridian 59 for that matter), or Everquest, or Anarchy Online, and many more titles. Although I think Anarchy Online is on life support last I heard with that elusive new engine never arriving.

I hope I didn't miss any replies, thank you again to everyone.

• ProblemProblem Member UncommonPosts: 77

It is losing subscribers, it uses past generation graphics, past generation gameplay and wont last many more years.

Instead of getting onto wow, I think youa re better off waiting a month or 2 till Everquest Next is released and getting on board  premium mmo rpg of the next generation.

It uses next gen mmo graphics, next gen mmo gameplay, next gen mmo ai rather than a dying game like wow trying to hold onto the last little bit of life it can milk out of it.

Not only that but since you can buy a boost to level 90 now, you wont learn how to play wow by levelling if you buy the boost and if you don't, you will be surrounded by people who have and be left behind.

below is the edit

Your NEXTGEN is already implemented in many games

Citizen: Preach your filth elsewhere!

Originally posted by Tsumoro

below is the edit

Your post made me chuckle, mainly because of the personal bias involved. When you say "to be honest with you" what does that actually mean? Are some WoW players lying to a potential audience that the game is alive and kicking? Is there a conspiracy going on here? No, there is not. OP has asked a question that they need some help on, its not really meant to be a platform for you to list the things you dislike and sneak a plug in there for EQN. 

OP allow me to help answer your questionn and to give some context to the stuff listed by this poster - 

Yes newbies can get into WoW at this stage, I would recommend you pick up the latest version with the boost to 90, this will allow you to be concurrent with other players to enjoy the game as a hole. Playing the game from the start will be fun, but expect yourself to be on your own for a good while. Make a main, role an alt is what I say. 

Now - 

WoW indeed loses subs, it also gains them. The amount of subs the game needs to stay profitable as well as making sure you can enjoy all content in a reasonable time will not deminish any time soon. There are successful MMO's out there, but WoW numbers are not really impacted. Like myself, I enjoy Final Fantasy 14, I am taking a break on that to play WoW again, then i'll switch back. Lots of players behave like I do. So with regards to population, nothing to fear. 

There is no such thing as past generation graphics, only graphics used to suit the tone of the game. Graphics can be dated, but WoW is not. The graphics reflects their style and they improve on them, such as WOD is better in graphics than MOP and MOP was better than CATA etc etc. The style stays the same, the graphics get improved. Get what im saying?

As for holding on to what they can milk from it, well untrue, it has more players in its worst than MMO's do in their peak. The only other MMO I know to hold such a turn of players in Runescape. I love Final Fantasy 14, its strong with subs, but nowhere near WoW. One day, perhaps. But presently WoW is King. 

WoW is actually easy to play, more now than ever, you have a core set of abilities. You utilise them through playing. The game even instructs you how to use these abilities. It's pretty much idiot proof. My younger brother is 18, boosted a warrior and is tanking in Draenor. My girlfriend never played WoW before, boosted a Druid and is dpsing just fine. You'll be fine. 

I should say that pre end game will not be as busy as WOD content, but you'll do just thing. You'll quest alone a lot of the time, but dungeons and so forth work as normal. 

As for EQN, do not be fool-hardy, let the game come out for a bit. I'm interested in giving that game a go also, but with how Landmark is presently (although not a real reflection on EQN) I would say it's best to hang on until you see something actually concrete. A lot of hype on this game without anything really to show for it presently, a lot of smoke being pumped out but no fire to see where its coming from. 

Realisitcally, EQ and EQ2 have quite an outdated mindset to it, hopefully they learn from Wildstar and make this more engaing to the players rather than cosmic time-sinks with very little pay-off. 

I loved EQ, it was a second home for me, but I was 18 at the time, working minimal hours and living at home, I really wouldn't be able to play EQ now as I did then, same goes for Vanilla WoW. 

As I wrote in previous replies, I'm really a niche casual player that sticks to what I love. I'm torn between the whole starting at level 90 and level 1, but I decided earlier to start at level 1. Thanks for the reply.

• xanthmetisxanthmetis Member UncommonPosts: 141

simple answer yes... 

Its not like rift or aoc were u get pvp levels and the grind for things is super easy and fast.  it's a very alt friendly and new player friendly game...

• RaquisRaquis Member RarePosts: 1,029

yes just level your char.

if you play at low or high level its basically the same just different gear and weapons.

fight hard and make sure in dungeons you pick up the right gear for your character or the players will not be happy.

all and all everyone is nice and very polite,say sorry if you make a mistake.

I think the wow crowd are overall nice.

• SwaneaSwanea Member UncommonPosts: 2,401

I'm willing to bet that when EQN releases, WoW will still have more subs.  I'm also willing to be that WoW will never have less subs than EQN....unless WoW 2 releases, in which case it COULD possibly drop below EQN (doubtful).

Not currently playing WoW. 

oh and queueing for dungeon finder at low levels is instant for tanks, 2-3 minutes healer, and up to 15 minutes for dps.  At least, that's how it was on my server (Azgalor) which is connected to only one or two BIG realms, I think?

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    There's talk here of Everquest next being released next year, but my understanding us that landmark will be open beta early next year, with Everquest next likely to be a couple years later - is this correct?

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919

To the OP: start with the trial. It is huge as well.

I would also suggest you play both "sides" and at least a few races / classes - they are (pretty much) all available. Some of the combinations e.g. Human Paladin - start near a capital city and, even with the new xpac there will be people around; others are more off the beaten track having been added afterwards - and worth a look e.g. the goblin starter area. 

It will get you used to what WoW is e.g. the sense of humour (like it or loathe it it's there). You can also learn the mechanics as well; how to use combos and so on without worrying about "messing up". No worries about people expecting perfection.

And as and when you fine "the one" and decide to progress - off you go.

• ethionethion Member UncommonPosts: 2,888
    Originally posted by Dkompoze

below is the edit

EQ Next is not in beta, yes its slated for 2015, but not in beta, its still pre-alpha.

Pulled this off the EQN FAQ page.

EverQuest Next is still in development and no launch date has been announced.  

---
    Ethion

• amx23amx23 Member Posts: 102
    WoW is the only game that made me feel disgusted. I will never forget it. I was at the auction house in Stormwind and something came over me while i was purchasing a blue item. This feeling i never had playing ANY game in my 26 year history of games starting from atari to ps4. Is this all there is just item grinding? Right then all my minor addiction to the game disappeared and i went and played other mmos i felt actually engaged in and never looked back. I mean, i played bad games and i played bad mmos and i just said oh well this isnt interesting but this feeling i had with WoW...Feeling gypped. It was pure utter disgust. Its like a girl that turns you down you werent in love with, you dont care but its like when you "wanted" to like her and she turns out to be an utter hag. Thats what WoW is. A souless hag with TONS of make up on her face that you arent aware of and when it rains out one day and you see her real facial features you will feel disgusted too thats why so many people who quit WoW or grown out of it hate it. Its probably the most hated game (and should be *cough influencing game industry *cough) of any mmo out there because it sucks lots of people into this pokemon type gimmick where they never reveal what an mmorpg really is or could be to these people which is nearly the entire mmo population. I think an rpg is about challenge. WoW never fullfillls that. We have a history of rpg games from baldurs gate Icewind Dale NWN2 dragon age hell even "adventure quest" a free kids online rpg fullfills what an rpg is. Scaleable difficulty. To me WoW is not an rpg but a bastardization of it with means to make money to its publisher with incredibly accessible RNG and tons of spreadsheet-like progression and if you dont know what an rpg is by all means fuck with wow but seriously to call it a legitimate contender for the greatest rpg mmo you seriously need to die...WoW is the outsider, there was and are so many good rpg games that never strayed from all about aquiring this enchanted blessed bastard sword +3 because lets face it, you are playing an rpg you are supposed to be smart, you are supposed to be intelligent. You can take on challenges and slay the minotaur in the laybrinth but wow is just goofy like that. Imagine what legend of zelda would be without the puzzles. You just are going around collecting items and fighting with them. I mean, at least let the puzzles if you dont have any be in the itemization and where to go to loot certain items, where to go to custimaze this or that, make it a game. In wow, any random trash mob gives you a purple item. The game is broke like that. Why work "hard" in a dungeon when you can just go kill a trash mob. Its like wow wants you to succeed. There is no hero's journey there is no hero's threshold...seriously wtf. Not to mention the combat abilities are broke where you can cast one spell over and over again. There is no 'i need to tradeskill to get money to buy this sword or else i wont be effective for my level. EQ Next will have that where mobs move and conquer territory and you choose which npc group to help doing quests for "resources" the npc group needs like "wealth" "might" "security" "justice" "shadow essences" depending on which npc group you are helping. Once an npc group conquers enough land or power a rallying call (or a server wide event) occurs with the winner permantly changes the world. And it goes on in the world like a giant sumo match until one group of players helps an npc group enough to permantly change the world again...How are you going to compete with that? The promise of no quest hubs every action you do matters physically in the world to the point where some factions will be changed, some npc groups will be extinct and they will just have to code according to what the players decided route they go with. Now thats storytelling. It matters what you do ffs they gave npcs "emotions". Don't pass on this one Sony makes less than 10 million a year on the EQ franchise they do it for the love of the game unlike Blizzard who is sitting on 14 billion dollars and will force feed you linear storylines and "epic questlines" until as long as its profitable and wont make a next gen mmo because they want you to stay in wow because of their greed. They dont want to show you a world without them. You can make your own story in EQ Next you can change the world in Norrath. Its just waiting for your hard work give the next gen a try. Where what you do has an effect and matters and permantly changes and sets the course of the area to eventually changing the world .Its what we all wanted from day 1 when they were inventing the mmo...
  • AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,006
    Yeah newbs can get in and start the x pack straight away with a free boosted 90. It's a dumbed down quest grinder and you can easily get from 90 - 100 playing a week very casually. It's interesting lore wise and has some good cinematics but gameplay is a little too easy. Should have kept it old school instead of excessively standarding everything even more so. Still, it's worth a look just for the lore if nothing else.

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

• daltaniousdaltanious Member UncommonPosts: 2,381

Hi,

Wondering if newbies can get into World of Warcraft at this stage? Is it worth it or a decade too late? I'm only thinking of the PvE aspect. Would it be overwhelming in any way?

Thanks,

Stanley

Not sure why would not be worth? Just will start with first client. There, imo, were no bad expansions, all great as was great original release. The last one was upgraded a lot. Never had in any game (along with Swtor) so much fun with questing. I have leveled to max all my alliance 11 alts with questing only, 11 horde alts mixed, dungeons and questing.

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916

DEfinitely not. Wow does an excellent job of introducing newbies to the game. And it's never too late to start when it comes to WOW.

Although one thing I found overwhelming is the number of abilities you have (especially since most recent MMOs have 10-15 tops lol). I am long time WoW player - played throughout ALL of the classic game and the burning crusade expansion and most of the wrath of the lick king expansion. Then didn't play through cata or mop. I came back to my lvl 85 druid (which I played throughout the entire life of the game, my one and only main!) and found it awkward readjusting to the 3-4 action bars filled with abilities but that's understandable. After 1-2 hours I caught up. For someone starting from scratch (lvl 1) this would not be confusing at all.

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

(Part#3 replies & thanks for replies)

Originally posted by xanthmetis

simple answer yes... 

Its not like rift or aoc were u get pvp levels and the grind for things is super easy and fast.  it's a very alt friendly and new player friendly game...

Glad to hear it's alt-friendly. I usually stick to 1 character because of time constraints but it's always nice meeting or playing with new people. Thanks!

Originally posted by Raquis

yes just level your char.

if you play at low or high level its basically the same just different gear and weapons.

fight hard and make sure in dungeons you pick up the right gear for your character or the players will not be happy.

all and all everyone is nice and very polite,say sorry if you make a mistake.

I think the wow crowd are overall nice.

That's great to hear that "low or high level" resembles each other to some extent, and great to hear that you think the wow crowd is overall nice. Thanks!

Originally posted by Swanea

I'm willing to bet that when EQN releases, WoW will still have more subs.  I'm also willing to be that WoW will never have less subs than EQN....unless WoW 2 releases, in which case it COULD possibly drop below EQN (doubtful). 

Not currently playing WoW. 

oh and queueing for dungeon finder at low levels is instant for tanks, 2-3 minutes healer, and up to 15 minutes for dps.  At least, that's how it was on my server (Azgalor) which is connected to only one or two BIG realms, I think?

Actually there were two things that drew me to WoW. Someone told me about Dungeon Finder (I love normal mode dungeon crawling) and the fact that it's being developed and not put on life support like many MMOs are when they don't have enough to maintain a developers staff.

Originally posted by Bladestrom
    There's talk here of Everquest next being released next year, but my understanding us that landmark will be open beta early next year, with Everquest next likely to be a couple years later - is this correct?

No clue about release dates, but I will definitely try EQNext once it is released. I never did try the original Everquest or Project 1999, but I sure loved Vanguard (I miss you VG <3) and Everquest 2 (because of the funny guild and awesome topics of conversation on late night voice chat sessions).

Originally posted by gervaise1

To the OP: start with the trial. It is huge as well.

I would also suggest you play both "sides" and at least a few races / classes - they are (pretty much) all available. Some of the combinations e.g. Human Paladin - start near a capital city and, even with the new xpac there will be people around; others are more off the beaten track having been added afterwards - and worth a look e.g. the goblin starter area. 

It will get you used to what WoW is e.g. the sense of humour (like it or loathe it it's there). You can also learn the mechanics as well; how to use combos and so on without worrying about "messing up". No worries about people expecting perfection.

And as and when you fine "the one" and decide to progress - off you go.

Thanks gervaise1. I did start with the trial and I took someones advice above in a reply to do one horde (a tauren) and an alliance (a human), both warriors. :-O It's nice to hear that you can learn the mechanics and combos without worrying. I do frequent forums to find out more or Google usually. Thanks!

Originally posted by ethion

Originally posted by Dkompoze

below is the edit

EQ Next is not in beta, yes its slated for 2015, but not in beta, its still pre-alpha.

Pulled this off the EQN FAQ page.

EverQuest Next is still in development and no launch date has been announced.  

EQNext is going to be like ESO prior to launch I think; controversial either you love it or hate it.

Originally posted by Hawkster
    I wonder what part of SOE rabiddog888 works for?

Pass. :-)

Originally posted by amx23
    WoW is the only game that made me feel disgusted. I will never forget it. I was at the auction house in Stormwind and something came over me while i was purchasing a blue item. This feeling i never had playing ANY game in my 26 year history of games starting from atari to ps4. Is this all there is just item grinding? Right then all my minor addiction to the game disappeared and i went and played other mmos i felt actually engaged in and never looked back. I mean, i played bad games and i played bad mmos and i just said oh well this isnt interesting but this feeling i had with WoW...Feeling gypped. It was pure utter disgust. Its like a girl that turns you down you werent in love with, you dont care but its like when you "wanted" to like her and she turns out to be an utter hag. Thats what WoW is. A souless hag with TONS of make up on her face that you arent aware of and when it rains out one day and you see her real facial features you will feel disgusted too thats why so many people who quit WoW or grown out of it hate it. Its probably the most hated game (and should be *cough influencing game industry *cough) of any mmo out there because it sucks lots of people into this pokemon type gimmick where they never reveal what an mmorpg really is or could be to these people which is nearly the entire mmo population. I think an rpg is about challenge. WoW never fullfillls that. We have a history of rpg games from baldurs gate Icewind Dale NWN2 dragon age hell even "adventure quest" a free kids online rpg fullfills what an rpg is. Scaleable difficulty. To me WoW is not an rpg but a bastardization of it with means to make money to its publisher with incredibly accessible RNG and tons of spreadsheet-like progression and if you dont know what an rpg is by all means fuck with wow but seriously to call it a legitimate contender for the greatest rpg mmo you seriously need to die...WoW is the outsider, there was and are so many good rpg games that never strayed from all about aquiring this enchanted blessed bastard sword +3 because lets face it, you are playing an rpg you are supposed to be smart, you are supposed to be intelligent. You can take on challenges and slay the minotaur in the laybrinth but wow is just goofy like that. Imagine what legend of zelda would be without the puzzles. You just are going around collecting items and fighting with them. I mean, at least let the puzzles if you dont have any be in the itemization and where to go to loot certain items, where to go to custimaze this or that, make it a game. In wow, any random trash mob gives you a purple item. The game is broke like that. Why work "hard" in a dungeon when you can just go kill a trash mob. Its like wow wants you to succeed. There is no hero's journey there is no hero's threshold...seriously wtf. Not to mention the combat abilities are broke where you can cast one spell over and over again. There is no 'i need to tradeskill to get money to buy this sword or else i wont be effective for my level. EQ Next will have that where mobs move and conquer territory and you choose which npc group to help doing quests for "resources" the npc group needs like "wealth" "might" "security" "justice" "shadow essences" depending on which npc group you are helping. Once an npc group conquers enough land or power a rallying call (or a server wide event) occurs with the winner permantly changes the world. And it goes on in the world like a giant sumo match until one group of players helps an npc group enough to permantly change the world again...How are you going to compete with that? The promise of no quest hubs every action you do matters physically in the world to the point where some factions will be changed, some npc groups will be extinct and they will just have to code according to what the players decided route they go with. Now thats storytelling. It matters what you do ffs they gave npcs "emotions". Don't pass on this one Sony makes less than 10 million a year on the EQ franchise they do it for the love of the game unlike Blizzard who is sitting on 14 billion dollars and will force feed you linear storylines and "epic questlines" until as long as its profitable and wont make a next gen mmo because they want you to stay in wow because of their greed. They dont want to show you a world without them. You can make your own story in EQ Next you can change the world in Norrath. Its just waiting for your hard work give the next gen a try. Where what you do has an effect and matters and permantly changes and sets the course of the area to eventually changing the world .Its what we all wanted from day 1 when they were inventing the mmo...

That was a lot but I read it all, thanks! I don't consider WoW and EQN mutually exclusive. I don't see why one can't play the first and then if unsatisfied move on to the next, or if satisfied stay at the first, or play both or whatever.

I do however agree with you that somehow the first 15 levels on both sides have not yielded any challenge whatsoever as far as questing goes (haven't done dungeons yet). I can run into a pack and wipe out the monsters without even breaking a sweat and the quests yield no puzzles (like for instance 'investigative' missions in TSW) which makes me hope that other things will be challenging later on.. and I'm sure it will be more challenging.

I've played Planescape Torment, Icewind Dale, DA:O, DA2, NWN1-2, ESO Oblivion, Skyrim, Baulder's Gate, and so on and I agree with you that they're great games, but I'm really looking for a specific experience from WoW, and that's basically some questing/exploring and then normal dungeon crawling with dungeon finder. I'm really not looking for a great adventure with an exquisite story line like adventure games such as The Longest Journey, Syberia and many more or humor like Grim Fandango. Just looking for a small narrow fun path to see what the biggest MMO in the world really is. If I'm not happy at 100 I'll migrate. Thanks!

Originally posted by emperorwings
    Yeah newbs can get in and start the x pack straight away with a free boosted 90. It's a dumbed down quest grinder and you can easily get from 90 - 100 playing a week very casually. It's interesting lore wise and has some good cinematics but gameplay is a little too easy. Should have kept it old school instead of excessively standarding everything even more so. Still, it's worth a look just for the lore if nothing else.

I decided to start at level 1 but I do agree that the quests are fairly straightforward and there is very little risk of death and no penalties. Thanks!

Originally posted by daltanious

Hi,

Thanks,

Stanley

Not sure why would not be worth? Just will start with first client. There, imo, were no bad expansions, all great as was great original release. The last one was upgraded a lot. Never had in any game (along with Swtor) so much fun with questing. I have leveled to max all my alliance 11 alts with questing only, 11 horde alts mixed, dungeons and questing.

I hope the questing becomes a little bit more difficult or dangerous, but I have to admit I'm having fun because it's all new to me at the moment. Thanks!

Originally posted by fivoroth

DEfinitely not. Wow does an excellent job of introducing newbies to the game. And it's never too late to start when it comes to WOW.

Although one thing I found overwhelming is the number of abilities you have (especially since most recent MMOs have 10-15 tops lol). I am long time WoW player - played throughout ALL of the classic game and the burning crusade expansion and most of the wrath of the lick king expansion. Then didn't play through cata or mop. I came back to my lvl 85 druid (which I played throughout the entire life of the game, my one and only main!) and found it awkward readjusting to the 3-4 action bars filled with abilities but that's understandable. After 1-2 hours I caught up. For someone starting from scratch (lvl 1) this would not be confusing at all.

I see your point with the amount of skills/abilities. For instance in another MMORPG (TSW) there were 7 actives (well 8 with an auxiliary weapon). Hopefully most skills/abilities will have have a use for a given situation. :-)  Thanks!

• Four0SixFour0Six Member UncommonPosts: 1,175

Now all Blizzard needs to do is find out how to make those first 90 levels attractive and accessible again..

I have to hand it to Blizz on this one. Getting folks excited to pay $60 for 10 levels of content is F'n brilliant.

• AvanahAvanah Member RarePosts: 1,615
    Originally posted by Four0Six

I have to hand it to Blizz on this one. Getting folks excited to pay $60 for 10 levels of content is F'n brilliant.

$49.99

"My Fantasy is having two men at once...

One Cooking and One Cleaning!"

---------------------------

"A good man can make you feel sexy,

strong and able to take on the whole world...

oh sorry...that's wine...wine does that..."

• AlverantAlverant Member RarePosts: 1,320

Hi,

Thanks,

Stanley

I tried it earlier this year and couldn't get into it. The auto-attack kept messing things up and I couldn't figure out what to do half the time. I wouldn't say it was overwhelming but it was designed for people who thought a certain way and made no effort to explain itself.