Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Manual control for ships on the test server

LaterisLateris Member UncommonPosts: 1,831

For those of us who play Eve Online we are now getting WASD keys for ship movement. It is on the test server now. Here is the link to the dev blog.  

From the blog 

The controls will initially be opt-in so if you wish to try them out you will have to open up the keyboard settings and assign keys to them. We will then be using this opportunity to A/B test the introduction of controls to new players to gauge whether this helps or hurts the on-boarding experience. We also want to see whether this is a path that is worth pursuing for veteran players or whether polishing up the existing controls would be time better spent.

In any case we want to hear your feedback. The new controls will be available for testing on Singularity tomorrow so go try it out there and post your thoughts on the forums. We are also planning a mass test next week which will be very important in validating if this can be allowed on Tranquility from a technical perspective, so if you have the time to spare please lend a hand. There will be more details about the mass test in the coming days on the test server forums.

Comments

• RamanadjinnRamanadjinn Member UncommonPosts: 1,365
    Will anyone use it?  Would it even be viable?  Is this just a neat little thing some people will click on once in a while and go "oh neat" and then never use it again?
  • LaterisLateris Member UncommonPosts: 1,831
    Originally posted by Ramanadjinn
    Will anyone use it?  Would it even be viable?  Is this just a neat little thing some people will click on once in a while and go "oh neat" and then never use it again?

That is a really good point because for the first time they have real competition from the game Elite Dangerous. I think they are going to have to start making stars and stations in the same manner. And yes possibly WiS might happen.  Perhaps this is the first step? Eve Project Legion could be integrated (unreal Engine 4) to launch within the Eve client?  

Right now the WASD is optional. So it may have no impact on game play at all. 

• CopperfieldCopperfield Member RarePosts: 654

thats awsome hahaa

If they add fps combat in i would defo start investing time into eve..

• LaterisLateris Member UncommonPosts: 1,831
    Originally posted by Copperfield

thats awsome hahaa

If they add fps combat in i would defo start investing time into eve..

And that is another good point to discuss! Project Legion. Why not dock at a station as a pilot and have the option to play Project Legion per Planet or Star System in Eve? Project Legion is made with the Unreal Engine 3. It could launch as a loading screen within the Eve client much like the web browser is used. The Store for Project Legion could be separate.   

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

If anyone was in doubt about CCP losing direction with the game, it should be obvious now to everybody...

• QSatuQSatu Member UncommonPosts: 1,796
    Imo they are scared of the competition, that is why they are starting to change the game and starting experience to lure new players.
  • SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    Originally posted by QSatu
    Imo they are scared of the competition, that is why they are starting to change the game and starting experience to lure new players.

They obviously are very concerned about the looming competition. SC has a HUGE cash pile and is getting loads of (free) media exposure. It appears to be the first credible competitor for EVE in the 11 years since it launched, which is a significant psychological factor.

Perhaps CCP can pull it off, but trying to fight SC on all fronts is a risky and expensive proposition. CCP has been consolidating recently after a bad spell, splitting resources into chasing these "frivolous features" may not be the best idea. 

SC and EVE are different games, and I cannot imagine them having the same core audience. I actually think that EVE may well gain more players than it eventually loses due to SC. Those that are initially attracted to SC for the flashy tactical stuff might switch to EVE's more strategic game later.

CCP should be focusing and expanding on the things that make EVE different from SC, not trying to make EVE the same as SC. That is the path to failure.

• Agent_JosephAgent_Joseph Member UncommonPosts: 1,361
    Originally posted by Gdemami

If anyone was in doubt about CCP losing direction with the game, it should be obvious now to everybody...

they are lost directions and still loosing

• Agent_JosephAgent_Joseph Member UncommonPosts: 1,361
    for manual control I l play space sim games ED or SC ,I playing EVE for sandbox mmorpg  interplayers interactions not for space ship driving
  • IkonisIkonis Member UncommonPosts: 245
    Originally posted by SpottyGekko

They obviously are very concerned about the looming competition. SC has a HUGE cash pile and is getting loads of (free) media exposure. It appears to be the first credible competitor for EVE in the 11 years since it launched, which is a significant psychological factor.

Perhaps CCP can pull it off, but trying to fight SC on all fronts is a risky and expensive proposition. CCP has been consolidating recently after a bad spell, splitting resources into chasing these "frivolous features" may not be the best idea. 

SC and EVE are different games, and I cannot imagine them having the same core audience. I actually think that EVE may well gain more players than it eventually loses due to SC. Those that are initially attracted to SC for the flashy tactical stuff might switch to EVE's more strategic game later.

CCP should be focusing and expanding on the things that make EVE different from SC, not trying to make EVE the same as SC. That is the path to failure.

They are. You say that as if it is the only change coming in the next update.

• ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,297
    Originally posted by Lateris

I think having manual input flying will increase the amount of client-server data going back and forth. That may have a negative impact on the performance in medium to big battles. If a ship is following a preset flight-path known to the server ("Orbit at 15 km"), you need only a small amount of data to tell the server this information.

Have fun

I concur. EVE has the big battles that you will never see in E:D and SC. It has the player crafted item economy. It has the big player made political storylines that make for epic stories.  THOSE are the strengths of EVE that they shoudl focus on.

I would love to have an avatar in EVE, but i have already seen one attempt at this going down in flames. Instead of a possibly knee-jerk-reaction to a perceived threat from Star Citizen or Elite:Dangerous I hope CCP will put sufficient time and energy in development and testing of new aspects (e.g. FPS) and WILL not hurry these changes out the door.

And WASD flying is NOT the same as free 3D  spaceship flying ! Its ackward in Star Trek Online and will not be any more elegant in EVE.

Have fun

• sketocafesketocafe Member UncommonPosts: 950

Don't be silly, an MMO doesn't have to worry about competing with Star Citizen.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Originally posted by Erillion
    Originally posted by Lateris

I think having manual input flying will increase the amount of client-server data going back and forth. That may have a negative impact on the performance in medium to big battles. If a ship is following a preset flight-path known to the server ("Orbit at 15 km"), you need only a small amount of data to tell the server this information.

Have fun

Ships in fleet fights rarely follow a predetermined path, and 'orbit' is only relative to a single point, although its mostly used by tacklers so they stay within web/warp scramble range, which is usually fairly short - about 8 or 9km, its not unusual for pilots to change directions manually, relative to the target(s) and the game is more than capable of handling targeting and damage calculations, which is based on distance, relative velocity, actual velocity, and the weapon modifiers, based on tracking rate, fall off rate, optimal ranges, and for missiles etc, explosion velocity, and explosion radius, offset of course by sig radius, well thats not everything obviously, but its just to give an idea how complex the combat in space in Eve really is, whether players are able to use WASD to change direction rather than clicking in space in the direction you want to go, is probably largely irrelevant, and with larger fleet fights imposing TiDi then it probably won't make much difference anyway, what it will probably effect, is small as in individual ship fights involving frigates and the like, it won't actually make any difference in terms of how much data is handled by, or sent to, the server.image

• zimboy69zimboy69 Member UncommonPosts: 395
    Originally posted by sketocafe

Don't be silly, an MMO doesn't have to worry about competing with Star Citizen.

Don't be silly, if you think people started to play a space MMO wanting a point and click flight model  i know i didn't 

if you really think a space game is not going to have any effect on eve , a space game with joystick controls, yes eve has a lot of content  but so will these new games

I did enjoy playing eve  but like everyone else I can only play one game at a time

I always wanted to play  a star wars  type game in a tie fighter vs x-wing   ragging around dodging  lasers weaving in and out of  debris

eve dose not provide this but these new games might

but the hardest thing for me to get over in  eve is the subscription   its a killer  its the final nail in my eve coffin

eve has had 10 years of development  they must have know a space game will come along

now they are here its going to be interesting

I imagine someone zooming around with WASD instead of aligning to the fleet warp out point and going to speed .. his wing/fleet commander will skin him/her  alive to KEEP him/her alive  (or just leave the ship behind, to be destroyed).

Thats the first thing you do in a fleet fight ... align ... and STAY aligned ..

Yes, for some tacklers it may be useful to be able to do manual flying. But for those i do not want WASD ... for those I want EVE Valkyrie style HOTAS joystick + Oculus Rift game support. This is not the eighties !

Have fun

• MalcanisMalcanis Member UncommonPosts: 3,297
    Jesus christ you people, all this is is some dev's "20% time" project that adds an amusing little option - which a few players will find genuinely useful and no one will be hurt by. That's all. Stop making mountain ranges out of molehills.

Give me liberty or give me lasers

• uplink4242uplink4242 Member UncommonPosts: 258

But Malc we are supposed to complain about lack of features, excessive features and regurgitate several words such as 'learning curve' and 'toxic community', 'pay2win' or 'bad skill system' as an excuse not to play the game. How else would we spend our free time?

We just scored 5 in this thread alone:

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Let me guess, It only effects out of combat movement.

Theres no way they are going to scrap the current combat model nor will someone in their right mind use wasd to speed tank.

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

No, it is an additional input method during combat manual piloting (such as clicking in space). Nothing changed gameplay wise. It's mostly just for show most of the time.
  • PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,072
    Eve never was the only spaceship/space MMO on the market. I've been playing a single shard, Newtonian "twitch" spaceship MMO that is not Eve since June 2003.

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

Oh really? I remember Eve surpassing at least a dozen 'Eve killers' in the past decade that almost nobody knows they existed already - competition has always been there and overhyped to death back in its time.  Also, people who wanted to play a game for dogfightning with spaceships have always had better options as well. Nothing changed there.
  • Cybersig211Cybersig211 Member UncommonPosts: 173

This solves one issue and one issue only, the inability to align easily.  You need to both select a target to align to that is in the correct direction you wish to travel if you want to float some distance off a point...your only other option is to create waypoints ahead of time in anticipation for wanting to be a certain distance off any given point.

I constantly see people comparing EVE to other space games with high action combat...this isn't that type of game....you will not appeal to EVE players with warthunder type gameplay in another game lacking time based progression and deep complexity.

SC and whatever those two open world space ship games have only spaceships in common...with SC being more deep (at least from what I know) than the others.  You will not have anywhere near the level of strategy and complexity, nor the time based progression that rewards long term play.  With action combat everyones focused on keeping the crosshairs on the erratically moving targets, in EVE everyone can focus on the bigger picture.

Anywhoo...it will be a neat thing to do, it might help kiting pilots keep a good distance without having to pre waypoint a system and or find the right object in the distance to align to.

Still wont solve what I suspect is the #1 trial player quitting issue, and that's "I warped to the mission objective and I cant figure out how to go anywhere and the objective isn't here"  basically they get stuck in space.  Some games need a high level of Darwinism though...glad it exists. 

• dreamscaperdreamscaper Member UncommonPosts: 1,592
    Originally posted by Cybersig211

This solves one issue and one issue only, the inability to align easily.  You need to both select a target to align to that is in the correct direction you wish to travel if you want to float some distance off a point...your only other option is to create waypoints ahead of time in anticipation for wanting to be a certain distance off any given point.

I constantly see people comparing EVE to other space games with high action combat...this isn't that type of game....you will not appeal to EVE players with warthunder type gameplay in another game lacking time based progression and deep complexity.

SC and whatever those two open world space ship games have only spaceships in common...with SC being more deep (at least from what I know) than the others.  You will not have anywhere near the level of strategy and complexity, nor the time based progression that rewards long term play.  With action combat everyones focused on keeping the crosshairs on the erratically moving targets, in EVE everyone can focus on the bigger picture.

Anywhoo...it will be a neat thing to do, it might help kiting pilots keep a good distance without having to pre waypoint a system and or find the right object in the distance to align to.

Still wont solve what I suspect is the #1 trial player quitting issue, and that's "I warped to the mission objective and I cant figure out how to go anywhere and the objective isn't here"  basically they get stuck in space.  Some games need a high level of Darwinism though...glad it exists. 

This post says pretty much everything I was going to.

<3

• hfztthfztt Member RarePosts: 1,401

Having manual controls on the client side really does not change who the server still works in ticks of ca. 1 second length. The feature is purely for show and not a game changer in anay ways.

Also using it makes it clear that this most likely is a one man pet project and not some great thought through feature.

Make of that what you like, but I like the fact that CCP has not tried to milk the feature for more than it is worth.