Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

charging casuals who come back to the game for content.

Comments

• caetftlcaetftl Member Posts: 358
    Originally posted by Deleted User
    Originally posted by caetftl

Ah gaia hunter is spreading misinformation again... anet had 300 people when gw2 launched... they then had 350+ as of january this year... we don't have any numbers more recent than that...

Let's try to keep the information accurate people... i know some of you are big fans of the game but distorting the truth isn't helping anyone...

Here's a nice review from this month on glassdoor.com

I worked at ArenaNet full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The people at ArenaNet have a dedication and drive that is very hard to match in the industry. They seek out the top talent and setup a culture to share knowledge and grow the people around them.

I have worked with some of the most intelligent and caring people at ArenaNet. Everyone took pride in their work and had no problems helping each other out or staying late to finish their work. A lot of the people at the company have loyalty for those around them. People stay at ArenaNet out a sense of loyalty to the game they helped make and a belief in the product.

I have worked at big company's like Nintendo, and Microsoft and I can honestly say ArenaNet was one of the first places I felt welcome at. Designers, Programmers, Artists, and QA were all friendly and more than willing to sit down and meet the new guy. There were groups that always got to together for lunches and held nightly gaming sessions. People were always willing to include you into their evening or weekend plans. I have made some good friends at ArenaNet I will hold onto for a long time.

Cons

ArenaNet has become a toxic environment where people are worked to their breaking points and then told to keep working. The number one problem that seems to be plaguing ArenaNet is burn out and fatigue. People are often asked to work 10 to 12 hours a day and often to come in over the weekends. Another factor leading to the constant burn out and fatigue is re-scoping of the releases. Teams will work for weeks and months on content for releases only to have everything change a month before the content is launched. This requires the teams to redo a majority of the work for the release while still trying to meet the original deadline.

ArenaNet has also become a political cesspool. People are being locked into positions not because of a lack of skill or talent, but because they don't suck up to the right people. I have seen employee's with glowing recommendations from their teams get passed over for employee's who can barely do their job because of who they were friends with at the company. The people who actually do the work are too valuable to let them advance, but then the incompetent people make all the business decisions. Management is often ready to scapegoat their people as well. They make all the decisions, but take none of the blame when things go wrong.

I also wanted to talk about is the talent. Like I mentioned above, the talent at ArenaNet is great and there are a ton of dedicated people. The downside of all of this is: The good people are leaving the company. The politics and overworked environment have caused quite a few people to leave. Almost everyone who helped make Guild Wars and helped launch Guild Wars 2 are gone. You now have a company that trusts analytics and data over people's intuition or that listened to their community. People feel like their complaints are not being heard and many feel frustrated in their lot at the company.

Also be prepared to make way less money that almost any other studio in the area. This company was competitive for the games industry about a decade ago. Unless you are an Artist or a Programmer expect to be paid about 30% less than any other studio in the area.

<p nomargvert="" notranslate="" "="" data-truncate-chars="100">My advice to Management: Start listening to the people underneath you. Let the employees have a stake in what they create again and you might start having a successful product again. Let HR actually defend the employee's from upper management and keep the political bull out of the business.

Dude, ANet had 250 people at launch and went over 300 then 350. They ACTUALLY posted about it. But people just need to look at your post history and everything will be clear.

Paid shills are soooooooooooo last decade rofl

Go ahead and post your source(s)...

• Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066

http://www.forbes.com/sites/johngaudiosi/2012/04/23/arenanet-founder-mike-obrien-will-be-satisfied-when-guild-wars-2-is-the-most-successful-mmo-period/

"Now it’s time for fans to experience Guild Wars 2 for the first time, getting a taste of something unique enough to change the dynamics of the MMO games business. Whether ArenaNet, which is now 270 employees strong, can topple the giant Blizzard Entertainment, is in the hands of Guild Wars 1 fans and PC gamers, in general. Let the games begin."

Arenanet had around 270 just before release and then quickly hired a number of costumer support people

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/arenanet-reopens-sales-of-guild-wars-2-and-releases-new-video/

"Since suspending sales, ArenaNet and NCsoft have substantially expanded the game’s capacity by deploying new servers in both North America and Europe, and by nearly doubling the number of customer support agents. Game systems that have been under extremely heavy demand, such as the Trading Post, have been bolstered and prepared for the continued influx of players."

But in caetftl world I'm sure Anet secretly fired some 100+ people since January. NCSoft is just a GW2 fanboy, announcing all layoffs except for Arenanet.

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

Originally posted by Gaia_Hunter

http://www.forbes.com/sites/johngaudiosi/2012/04/23/arenanet-founder-mike-obrien-will-be-satisfied-when-guild-wars-2-is-the-most-successful-mmo-period/

"Now it’s time for fans to experience Guild Wars 2 for the first time, getting a taste of something unique enough to change the dynamics of the MMO games business. Whether ArenaNet, which is now 270 employees strong, can topple the giant Blizzard Entertainment, is in the hands of Guild Wars 1 fans and PC gamers, in general. Let the games begin."

Arenanet had around 270 just before release and then quickly hired a number of costumer support people

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/arenanet-reopens-sales-of-guild-wars-2-and-releases-new-video/

"Since suspending sales, ArenaNet and NCsoft have substantially expanded the game’s capacity by deploying new servers in both North America and Europe, and by nearly doubling the number of customer support agents. Game systems that have been under extremely heavy demand, such as the Trading Post, have been bolstered and prepared for the continued influx of players."

But in caetftl world I'm sure Anet secretly fired some 100+ people since January. NCSoft is just a GW2 fanboy, announcing all layoffs except for Arenanet.

It's a nice attempt to mask your misinformation but i'm sorry it fails... that article is from april... gw2 launched in late august... it already had 300 employees before it launched and people even raised money to send anet 300 cupcakes for those employees before the game officially launched...   Somehow you have to distort that into "270 just before release and then quickly hired CSreps" after initially claiming 250 at launch when it was in fact 300... I don't know why you have to distort these numbers, perhaps to convince yourself in your mind that the company has grown a lot more post launch than it actually has. 

I'm not the one distorting facts here... your numbers seem to jump all over the place...  per usual... which doesn't surprise me considering how much trouble you've historically had absorbing the cold hard data of ncsofts financial reports.

It's a nice attempt to mask your misinformation but i'm sorry it fails... that article is from april... gw2 launched in late august... it already had 300 employees before it launched and people even raised money to send anet 300 cupcakes for those employees before the game officially launched...   Somehow you have to distort that into "270 just before release and then quickly hired CSreps" after initially claiming 250 at launch when it was in fact 300... I don't know why you have to distort these numbers, perhaps to convince yourself in your mind that the company has grown a lot more post launch than it actually has. 

I'm not the one distorting facts here... your numbers seem to jump all over the place...  per usual... which doesn't surprise me considering how much trouble you've historically had absorbing the cold hard data of ncsofts financial reports.

Oh noes the might hard facts from caeftl is the reddit 300 cupcakes where there are posts with such definitive hard data as "they are around 300".

If you have official numbers link to them.

Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    Anet made the mistake of telling us that they make more money with customers that log in at least once every 2 weeks. Why they changed their content from monthly updates to every 2 weeks. This is a money grab for the sake of money. This is a game that said we are for the casual gamers and the game you play between games. We are not asking you to leave your current MMO, just to play ours as well. On this stand I bought GW2 and now all the money I have spent on this game I wish I could get a refund. I have supported this game but adding a pay wall is something I cant stand for!!!!!
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,910
    I bought only the box and may be one 10 euro purchase of gems a long time ago. I doubt I will be back to play this game not because of this requirement to log in but because there are far better games in the market and I have not enough time for another game. It's an okay game but not in the caliber of the other MMORPGs that have good end game content and grouping.

• HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680
    Originally posted by Skymourne
    Originally posted by saurus123

i though casual players log at least once a month?

and 200 gems is nothing just few runs of the dungeons

Wait are you serious?  Is any of this serious?  Why defend something like this?  It's insane....if this is true i will never even look at another damn one of their games.  Unbelievable...

I was thinking the same thing. MMo players here really hate casual players to defend something like this. I haven't played the game for a long time and looks like i won't anytime soon.

Originally posted by Nanfoodle
    Anet made the mistake of telling us that they make more money with customers that log in at least once every 2 weeks. Why they changed their content from monthly updates to every 2 weeks. This is a money grab for the sake of money. This is a game that said we are for the casual gamers and the game you play between games. We are not asking you to leave your current MMO, just to play ours as well. On this stand I bought GW2 and now all the money I have spent on this game I wish I could get a refund. I have supported this game but adding a pay wall is something I cant stand for!!!!!

A pay wall you can circumvent by going with someone who has the content. It is as sturdy as the wall of China...

In conclusion, people that don't play the game and have been criticizing the game for a while - complain.

People that play the game - " yay! free content".

The truth is if new content, free or paid, does not draw you to the game, you aren't a player of that game.

Originally posted by Hariken

Wait are you serious?  Is any of this serious?  Why defend something like this?  It's insane....if this is true i will never even look at another damn one of their games.  Unbelievable...

I was thinking the same thing. MMo players here really hate casual players to defend something like this. I haven't played the game for a long time and looks like i won't anytime soon.

To be a casual player of a game, you need to actually play it sometimes.

So you aren't a casual GW2 player.

If new free content doesn't draw you to log in, what will?

A paid expansion?

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    Originally posted by Hariken

As do people who dont like a game but need justify their dislike with some reason other than the game style just does not suit them.  Sub with ability to get everything for free, or subscription, take your pick. Its all about looking at that half full glass, but ultimately this noise means nothing, you play a game because you enjoy itr, not the payment mechanism - especially one that has free as its base model

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

A pay wall you can circumvent by going with someone who has the content. It is as sturdy as the wall of China...

In conclusion, people that don't play the game and have been criticizing the game for a while - complain.

The truth is if new content, free or paid, does not draw you to the game, you aren't a player of that game.

Wong, I play about once a month for a few days straight. Every few months I dish out some cash for gems or some item like the flame pick. Im the guy who is running into a pay wall because this B2P game has said I dont play/pay enough. When this change goes live, I will be uninstalling the game for the first time since I installed it. Pay Walls are never a good idea. There is so many smarter ways to make money. Paint it any way you want, Pay Walls are a bad idea and will cost them more then they will make. 

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001

Wong, I play about once a month for a few days straight. Every few months I dish out some cash for gems or some item like the flame pick. Im the guy who is running into a pay wall because this B2P game has said I dont play/pay enough. When this change goes live, I will be uninstalling the game for the first time since I installed it. Pay Walls are never a good idea. There is so many smarter ways to make money. Paint it any way you want, Pay Walls are a bad idea and will cost them more then they will make. 

Would you be complaining if it was a standard Sub model?  If so then the game is not good enough for you regardless of payment model.  If the game is good enough for you, the current model is far far cheaper than a sub so whats the problem?

You could log in for 30 seconds when content is released and get it for free, you could support the game a little and buy content with gems, you could group up with anyone in game and access content for free, you could buy the content with in game gold or  you could even setup a subscription buy buying x amount of gems every month. Thats not a pay wall, that's options.  

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

Oh noes the might hard facts from caeftl is the reddit 300 cupcakes where there are posts with such definitive hard data as "they are around 300".

You do realize your numbers weren't official?  I have an article based off an interview with colin, how about you? 

Anyway 3rd quarter earnings report says it all... your game is not doing better... you can try to spin it any way you want... revenue continues to decline...

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-01-14-you-thought-that-was-it-for-guild-wars-2 pz pz...

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100
    I saw the revenues and shocked that Aion is doing so much better than GW 2 but you have to take into account that GW 2 is B2P. Although Aion is F2P hmm may be I shot myself in the foot there but hey Wildstar is doing even worse and it is a sub game. Okay shutting up now.
    Chamber of Chains
  • MagikarpsGhostMagikarpsGhost Member RarePosts: 689
    Originally posted by Nefarion84
    That is right, if you've been away from Guild Wars 2 for a bit, dont bother going back because if you didn't log in during their events they will now be charging you 200 gems per piece of content that you missed. If yur a casual who is going back, congratulations, you are now a second class citizen in Tyria. How does it feel?

i spent ONE DAY farming mats as i got use to the controls. And made enough gold to convert it to gems and unlock all of the locked "content" i missed.

free 7 day sub and unlocks for swtor new accounts and 90+ day inactive subs click here to get it!

Click here for trove referral, bonuses to both!

• akuma696akuma696 Member UncommonPosts: 55
    Originally posted by Chinspinner
    Originally posted by akuma696
    Originally posted by Chinspinner
    Originally posted by akuma696
    Just play the current episode I am sure if you played GW1 you would enjoy it as a person who never played GW1 I still enjoyed reading all the lore and stuff about what happened back then. And I am kinda tired of people crying about omg i have to login once every two weeks to get content that is free. They told you about it before the season started if you couldnt manage to find time even on holiday to just login for 2 seconds then its your own fault stop bitching 

And I am kind of tired of people crying at other peoples valid opinions on a game.  

Do elaborate on how his opinion is valid, cause the way I see its like a consumer bashing a store because they missed a sale. Which I am sure no one does cause if u missed out on an opportunity to get something for free or a lower price its your own fault.

When we paid for this content in the box fee we were not told it was time-limited.  We were also not told that the cash shop would become increasingly aggressive and start selling items that alter gameplay as well as gems; we were told it would operate as it did in GW1.  

ANet can frankly fuck off.  

Okay clearly you need to spend more time focusing on your studies cause you clearly don't know how to formulate a valid argument. So you not playing gw2 might actually benefit you in the  long run. So let me educate you in why your statement is flawed.  You did not pay for the new content that was released when you brought the game, living story did not exist in the initial release of the game it was a feature that was added later.  So no you didn't pay for this content that was released and again they are giving it for free if u login just once every two weeks. Please focus on your studies (Philosophy may help you with your inability to construct a decent valid argument)

Originally posted by Bladestrom

Would you be complaining if it was a standard Sub model?  If so then the game is not good enough for you regardless of payment model.  If the game is good enough for you, the current model is far far cheaper than a sub so whats the problem?

You could log in for 30 seconds when content is released and get it for free, you could support the game a little and buy content with gems, you could group up with anyone in game and access content for free, you could buy the content with in game gold or  you could even setup a subscription buy buying x amount of gems every month. Thats not a pay wall, that's options.  

If the game was__________ fill in the blank. Its not a sub game, it made its sales on being the game you play between playing other games. It said it was designed for the casual player and now they are adding a pay wall for people who play casual. This is a slippy slope you should be worried about if this is your main game. I play monthly and thats how I play. When I have free time and now they telling me when I have to play to keep my B2P game? This direction makes me wonder whats next??????? Again pay walls is a dumb way to try and make money.

If the game was__________ fill in the blank. Its not a sub game, it made its sales on being the game you play between playing other games. It said it was designed for the casual player and now they are adding a pay wall for people who play casual. This is a slippy slope you should be worried about if this is your main game. I play monthly and thats how I play. When I have free time and now they telling me when I have to play to keep my B2P game? This direction makes me wonder whats next??????? Again pay walls is a dumb way to try and make money.

What is a casual player for you?

A player that plays once every 6 months?

You do realize your numbers weren't official?  I have an article based off an interview with colin, how about you? 

Anyway 3rd quarter earnings report says it all... your game is not doing better... you can try to spin it any way you want... revenue continues to decline...

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-01-14-you-thought-that-was-it-for-guild-wars-2 pz pz...

First your link goes nowhere due to the fact you didn't use the link function.

Second I know that article. Notice how the 300 people statement is not a quote.

Third 250, 270, 300, whatever, the point is that Arenanet grew compared to release. Which other game studio did so in the last 2-4 years after releasing a brand new MMORPG?

I already told you, declining revenue doesn't mean that:

a) The game is underperforming;

b) The game population is decreasing.

It just means that the revenue is declining.

First your link goes nowhere due to the fact you didn't use the link function.

Second I know that article. Notice how the 300 people statement is not a quote.

Third 250, 270, 300, whatever, the point is that Arenanet grew compared to release. Which other game studio did so in the last 2-4 years after releasing a brand new MMORPG?

I already told you, declining revenue doesn't mean that:

a) The game is underperforming;

b) The game population is decreasing.

It just means that the revenue is declining.

Megaservers, equivalent revenue of a 450k sub game... revenues that consistently decline.. and all you have is made up numbers that you say "whatever" about even though they are the very foundation of some of your arguments, when they are proven to be sketch and unreliable... lol... 

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    Originally posted by Nefarion84
    That is right, if you've been away from Guild Wars 2 for a bit, dont bother going back because if you didn't log in during their events they will now be charging you 200 gems per piece of content that you missed. If yur a casual who is going back, congratulations, you are now a second class citizen in Tyria. How does it feel?

It doesn't take long to get the content, I mean, playing it. It is also supposed to be content that is temporary, kind of like the way the real world is - there and gone. That is the point of the Living Story.

Another hater.

Do you just lash out or do you even read the post you reply to? I play about once a month to make it easy for you. I spend money on gems and items about once ever 2-3 months. Pay walls suck. There are a million other ways to get more money from me but pay walls only piss off gamers. 

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    Originally posted by cheyane
    I saw the revenues and shocked that Aion is doing so much better than GW 2 but you have to take into account that GW 2 is B2P. Although Aion is F2P hmm may be I shot myself in the foot there but hey Wildstar is doing even worse and it is a sub game. Okay shutting up now.

Aion is a P2P game still in Korea and other Asian countries while it is a sub optional in the west. GW2 is not. it is B2P. That is a huge difference.

Great video on why this move to a pay wall is a bad one... 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mhz9OXy86a0

Do you just lash out or do you even read the post you reply to? I play about once a month to make it easy for you. I spend money on gems and items about once ever 2-3 months. Pay walls suck. There are a million other ways to get more money from me but pay walls only piss off gamers. 

So you have a good chance of getting the new content for free,