Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

NCSoft 3rd Quarter Earnings

KabulozoKabulozo Member RarePosts: 932

In Short:

Lineage 1 - 68,5 billion KRW

Aion - 32,9 billion KRW

B&S - 19,7 billion KRW

GW2 - 19,6 billion KRW

Wildstar - 16,0 billion KRW

Lineage 2 - 14,8 billion KRW

Royalties + others - 39,8 billion KRW

Comments

• DaikuruDaikuru Member RarePosts: 797
    Aion was a good game..., what a shame it went f2p.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

- Albert Einstein

• DaikuruDaikuru Member RarePosts: 797
    Originally posted by DMKano
    Originally posted by Daikuru

Shame? Looks like it's bouncing back. No shame in that.

Yeah in Korea maybe, but look at the european version its total crap imo.

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

- Albert Einstein

• NasaNasa Member UncommonPosts: 739
    Originally posted by DMKano

Shame? Looks like it's bouncing back. No shame in that.

Yeah in Korea maybe, but look at the european version its total crap imo.

You can play the NA version of Aion from Europe, there is no IP block. The lag is not bad.

• caetftlcaetftl Member Posts: 358

Sales continue to drop by quarter... this is not a good sign for GW2... especially since they had made such a hard push to advertise their new content and 3q was supposed to be the quarter that showed the rewards of that...

It's especially disturbing that their numbers are pretty close to wildstars... a game that has been doing absolutely horribly after initial box sales.

Funny though... some people argue that wildstar is in trouble and that gw2 is strong.... but the numbers don't lie... they are both underperforming. 

• PioneerStewPioneerStew Member Posts: 874
    Originally posted by caetftl

Sales continue to drop by quarter... this is not a good sign for GW2... especially since they had made such a hard push to advertise their new content and 3q was supposed to be the quarter that showed the rewards of that...

It's especially disturbing that their numbers are pretty close to wildstars... a game that has been doing absolutely horribly after initial box sales.

Funny though... some people argue that wildstar is in trouble and that gw2 is strong.... but the numbers don't lie... they are both underperforming. 

imo the game was a very poor sequel to GW1, but that aside it is the lack of an expansion that is hurting this game; living story is a very poor alternative.  

• TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619

When you factor in that GW2 is a B2P and that most of that revenue is from the cash shop, I think GW2 is doing extremely well.

"Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

Whoa GW2 only made a couple mill more than WS image I think we know have the reason for the lack of meaningful updates.

I would be interested in seeing how much GW2 profits have dropped since April. I have a hunch that another game took a large chunk of GW2 WvW base.

edit- just did it myself. From the 1st qt to the 2nd, GW2 lost 1/3 of it's revenue. A certain mmorpg with a robust RvR system launched in the 2nd qt. GW2 revenue is down 45% this year image

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • TiamatRoarTiamatRoar Member RarePosts: 1,685
    Originally posted by Talonsin

When you factor in that GW2 is a B2P and that most of that revenue is from the cash shop, I think GW2 is doing extremely well.

Hmm... but GW2 is "doing well" and the falling revenues are thus instead because "GW2 is a B2P and most of that revenue is from the cash shop", that would mean that the business model itself is to blame.  It probably sucks for them either way, I suppose.

I was surprised Wildstar was so close to GW2 myself, too.  Now I'm just plain confused.  Is this because Wildstar still has some leftover revenue from early in the quarter when people might have brought more credd than they realized the game would last?  Or is GW2 just doing that badly, business wise, atm? (whether it's the fault of the game, the fault of age, or the fault of the model)

Originally posted by TiamatRoar

Hmm... but GW2 is "doing well" and the falling revenues are thus instead because "GW2 is a B2P and most of that revenue is from the cash shop", that would mean that the business model itself is to blame.  It probably sucks for them either way, I suppose.

I was surprised Wildstar was so close to GW2 myself, too.  Now I'm just plain confused.  Is this because Wildstar still has some leftover revenue from early in the quarter when people might have brought more credd than they realized the game would last?  Or is GW2 just doing that badly, business wise, atm? (whether it's the fault of the game, the fault of age, or the fault of the model)

The model was a poor way of earning regular cashflow which is why we have seen the gradual expansion of the cash shop.  

GW1 was B2P but released regular revenue earning expansions.  GW2 chose the very limited and rather amateurish living story to steer people towards the cash shop.  This was quite clearly a poor revenue model in comparison to that of its predecessor.  

I hardly see it as a surprise that the GW2 monetisation system is flawed.  

• augustgraceaugustgrace Member UncommonPosts: 628
    Add me to those surprised by how close GW2 and Wildstar are.  Either Wildstar isn't doing nearly as bad as recent press/hype would have us believe, or GW2 is in a heap of trouble.
    Originally posted by PioneerStew
    Originally posted by TiamatRoar

The model was a poor way of earning regular cashflow which is why we have seen the gradual expansion of the cash shop.  

GW1 was B2P but released regular revenue earning expansions.  GW2 chose the very limited and rather amateurish living story to steer people towards the cash shop.  This was quite clearly a poor revenue model in comparison to that of its predecessor.  

I hardly see it as a surprise that the GW2 monetisation system is flawed.  

Yea.  I remember lots of people praising the model and deriding anyone who said "But how will they make money later?"  (I guess the answer to that question is "They won't.")

• KrelianKrelian Member UncommonPosts: 385
    Originally posted by augustgrace
    Add me to those surprised by how close GW2 and Wildstar are.  Either Wildstar isn't doing nearly as bad as recent press/hype would have us believe, or GW2 is in a heap of trouble.

So, umm,, honest question, which one is it?

Wildstar ain't actually doing so bad or it is GWII thats going down the hill?

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Originally posted by Krelian

Look at the graph it should tell you all you need to know.

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
    Originally posted by bcbully
    Originally posted by Krelian

Look at the graph it should tell you all you need to know.

Given how much better friggin' old old ooold Aion is performing than GW2, I'd say it's the latter.

• SlyLoKSlyLoK Member RarePosts: 2,698
    I think they really shot themselves in the foot by not doing yearly expansions for GW2. The lackluster updates they do just arent enough.
  • Sevenstar61Sevenstar61 Member UncommonPosts: 1,686

In translation in US dollars - 1 billion Korean won(KRW) 869,000 us dollars(USD).

In Short:

Lineage 1 - 68,5 billion KRW = 59.5 mln USD

Aion - 32,9 billion KRW = 28.6 mln USD

B&S - 19,7 billion KRW = 17.1 mln USD

GW2 - 19,6 billion KRW = 17.0  mln USD

Wildstar - 16,0 billion KRW = 13.9 mln USD

Lineage 2 - 14,8 billion KRW = 12.8 mln USD

Royalties + others - 39,8 billion KRW = 12.9 min USD

I thought that both GW2 and Wildstar were more profitable. Congrats to old Aion. 

Sith Warrior - Story of Hate and Love http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxKrlwXt7Ao
    Imperial Agent - Rise of Cipher Nine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBBj3eJWBvU&feature=youtu.be
    Imperial Agent - Hunt for the Eagle Part 1http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQqjYYU128E

Originally posted by Sevenstar61

In translation in US dollars - 1 billion Korean won(KRW) 869,000 us dollars(USD).

In Short:

Lineage 1 - 68,5 billion KRW = 59.5 mln USD

Aion - 32,9 billion KRW = 28.6 mln USD

B&S - 19,7 billion KRW = 17.1 mln USD

GW2 - 19,6 billion KRW = 17.0  mln USD

Wildstar - 16,0 billion KRW = 13.9 mln USD

Lineage 2 - 14,8 billion KRW = 12.8 mln USD

Royalties + others - 39,8 billion KRW = 12.9 min USD

I thought that both GW2 and Wildstar were more profitable. Congrats to old Aion. 

I thought it was quite clear that Wildstar was struggling, largely due to the senior resignations and the swathe of lower level redundancies.  

I kept getting told that GW2 was performing well, but I simply could not understand how given their insistence on the non-revenue earning living story over expansions.  It was bugging me for so long as it was clearly a bad monetization model.  And it turns out that the game is not doing well.  Let's hope they are forced to make more of a move back towards what made Gw1 great and also release a bloody expansion.  

• PemminPemmin Member UncommonPosts: 623

wildstar is doing alot worse the gw2

wildstar is almost down 50% from last Quarter where as gw2 is down only ~20% from last year. Both numbers are still bad, but gw2 shows a small downward slide that could be fixed with a paid expansion. wildstar looks like its in heaps of trouble.

Originally posted by Pemmin

wildstar is down 50% from last Quarter where as gw2 is down only 20% from last year. Both numbers are still bad, but gw2 shows a small downward slide that could be fixed with a paid expansion. wildstar looks like its in heaps of trouble.

Does GW2 actually plan on having a paid expansion, though?

The main thing is, we KNOW Wildstar is in heaps of trouble.  It's just that seeing GW2 only barely making more profit than Wildstar is rather sombering BECAUSE we know Wildstar is in a heap of trouble.  Regardless of trending numbers, you'd think a game that's supposedly doing well would be much MUCH more profitable than a game that's imploding at the seams.

• Rayzer235Rayzer235 Member UncommonPosts: 63
    On GW2 Expansion this was said in the call: 
    • From conference call: " The game is now two years old. And therefore in the not too far future we do think that we will have an opportunity to show our plans about expansion packs for this game" .

Also NCsoft is holding some sort of press conference next week about their future plans.

The GW2 numbers were expected it is around the same thing the analyst predicted then it would pick up in Q4 due to the Holiday events that take place in Q4 Halloween and Christmas also keep in mind it does not include revenue that is made from  GW2 China.

Originally posted by Rayzer235
    • From conference call: " The game is now two years old. And therefore in the not too far future we do think that we will have an opportunity to show our plans about expansion packs for this game" .

Also NCsoft is holding some sort of press conference about their future plans.

Translates as 'living story is not achieving adequate profit' (as any casual observer could have told them two years ago), 'so we are being forced to create a long overdue expansion'

• caetftlcaetftl Member Posts: 358
    Originally posted by Pemmin

wildstar is almost down 50% from last Quarter where as gw2 is down only ~20% from last year. Both numbers are still bad, but gw2 shows a small downward slide that could be fixed with a paid expansion. wildstar looks like its in heaps of trouble.

You have to understand wildstar's first quarter was sales + monthly fees + initial launch wave... a 50% drop off is not abnormal from the first quarter a game is out to the next...

• Rayzer235Rayzer235 Member UncommonPosts: 63

Translates as 'living story is not achieving adequate profit' (as any casual observer could have told them two years ago), 'so we are being forced to create a long overdue expansion'

I really would not read too much into they have been saying expansion is around the corner since like Q4 2012.

Come to think about it, "GW2's revenue is plummetting because the business model is terrible" and "GW2 can be saved by releasing a new expansion, which is a change in its business model" are not exactly mutually exclusive statements...

I really would not read too much into they have saying expansion is around the corner since like Q4 2012.

I am not, the game bored me to tears regardless.  They would really need to recapture some of the fun of GW1 before I returned.