Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Headsets

RhevinRhevin Member UncommonPosts: 611
Wife's rabbit (yea, we have a trained rabbit as a pet) discovered the cord to my headset. Need a replacement. Built in mic would be nice. Not looking for top of the line, but something above midrange. Whatcha using? Thanks.

Comments

• sacredfoolsacredfool Member UncommonPosts: 849

I use a fatality gaming headset atm but to be honest I am more fond of some decent Sennheisers (choose those that fit your budget).

Check this link out, the Youtube video should make some things clear:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XcxKIJTb3Hg

Originally posted by nethaniah

Seriously Farmville? Yeah I think it's great. In a World where half our population is dying of hunger the more fortunate half is spending their time harvesting food that doesn't exist.

• KabaalKabaal Member UncommonPosts: 3,042
    Best thing to do when buying a headset is to forget about buying a "gaming" set with a built in mic. In most cases you are far better off buying a good headset built for sound and adding a clip-on mic to it. Your money goes much further that way.
  • syntax42syntax42 Member UncommonPosts: 1,378

I don't like wired headphones or headsets.  I find it difficult and annoying to have to move the wire out of the way, plus I would rather not have to take my headset off just to get up for another beer or to use the bathroom during long gaming sessions.

I have owned two sets of wireless headsets.  My first was a Logitech G930.  The radio on it takes a long time (about 5 seconds) to reconnect and suffers from signal interruption by microwaves, cell phones, and WiFi signals.  If you can tolerate the occasional disconnect, it is otherwise a good product for a wireless headset.  It is usually $99.

My second headset is a Turtle Beach Z300.  The ear cushions are slightly too thin and my ear lobe touches the inside just enough that it hurts if I wear the headset for more than a couple hours.  The radio doesn't disconnect like the G930s but the range on it is horrible.  It is not reliable from more than 10 feet away.  The microphone is not sensitive enough and/or the boom for the microphone is too short for it to be close enough to my mouth.  The headset was overpriced at $250 when I bought it.

I am waiting on a MEElectronics AirFi Matrix 2 which I purchased after I broke the plastic on my Turtle Beach headset by setting it down too hard.  The reviews look good and the price is good.  I don't intend to use the built-in mic.  My experience with other bluetooth devices so far is that something can't handle the bandwidth of high-quality audio playback at the same time the mic is on.  Otherwise, the range and quality is fine.

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657
    I think a soldering gun, solder and electric tape or heat shrinkable insulator tubing will be cheaper
    "I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • TheutusTheutus Member UncommonPosts: 636
    Your rabbit's not very well trained if it's eating wires.
  • psiicpsiic Member RarePosts: 1,640

Wired or Wireless and give us a price range you would like to stay in.

I love my corsair vengence 2100 the older blue not the new gold.

http://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Vengeance-Wireless-Gaming-Headset/dp/B00EXPNFUA

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383

Originally posted by Theutus
    Your rabbit's not very well trained if it's eating wires.

I also hate to think of all the rabbit poo back in there.

• OhhPaigeyOhhPaigey Member RarePosts: 1,517
    Idk I use Astro A40s mainly cuz I'm a CoD player lol.
    When all is said and done, more is always said than done.
  • CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    Two words: Dollar Store! 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• RhevinRhevin Member UncommonPosts: 611

Ha, forgot I made this thread.

'bout the rabbit, no poop because she's house broken.

My tower sits on the floor and the cord hung a bit low. Rabbit chomped right through it. Is that something I could solder? I didn't think I could because it would make my headset sound like crap. I'll give that a shot. 

I was looking at...Kingston I think the company name is for a new headset $70. Its one of the first ones that pop up on Amazon. With the amount that I'd use them, I'd like a little bit better than a cheapo $20 pair. if they were something that I'd use once a month, sure I'd go cheapo. These are something I'd be using almost every night so I'd want something comfortable and sounds good. 

• ForgrimmForgrimm Member EpicPosts: 3,059
    I'm using the Turtle Beach X12. It's relatively inexpensive and I've been happy with the quality.
  • CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505
    Originally posted by syntax42

I don't like wired headphones or headsets.  I find it difficult and annoying to have to move the wire out of the way, plus I would rather not have to take my headset off just to get up for another beer or to use the bathroom during long gaming sessions.

Haha because its such hard work taking that heaset off to go get a beer.. The stress you put your arms through when doing it is just too much.. (Only messing)

Anyway as for a headset just go for waht you can afford really I have used really exepsnive ones and really cheap ones and mosy of the time when gamnig you hardly notice the difference... plus even the expensive ones brake haha.

Creative do really nice cheap headsets..

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383

I didn't know you could housetrain a rabbit. I am impressed.

Yes, you can fix the wire, you don't necessarily need solder. A poor splice and it will crackle, solder would help insure that it's a good connection, but there are other ways, and soldering can be a pain to deal with, particularly if you don't have the tools handy.

Originally posted by Ridelynn

I didn't know you could housetrain a rabbit. I am impressed.

Yes, you can fix the wire, you don't necessarily need solder. A poor splice and it will crackle, solder would help insure that it's a good connection, but there are other ways, and soldering can be a pain to deal with, particularly if you don't have the tools handy.

Yea, my wife spins the fur and makes clothing with it. It doesn't come in often though. Usually when its stormy or below 0ºF. 

I'll try soldering then. I didn't think you could. Soldering is no issue for me. I do it a lot. The headset that got ruined was a really nice Tritton 720 headset. So I'm hardpressed to just ditch them. 

Thanks for the help.

• syntax42syntax42 Member UncommonPosts: 1,378
    Originally posted by Caldrin
    Originally posted by syntax42

Haha because its such hard work taking that heaset off to go get a beer.. The stress you put your arms through when doing it is just too much.. (Only messing)

Maybe I don't want to miss something on TeamSpeak or I want to be able to hear if my character gets attacked in a MMO.  There's nothing quite like the thrill of a power-poop in the middle of a PvP warzone and having to pinch it off to fend off an overzealous rogue who snuck behind my allies' lines.

Originally posted by Rhevin

My tower sits on the floor and the cord hung a bit low. Rabbit chomped right through it. Is that something I could solder? I didn't think I could because it would make my headset sound like crap. I'll give that a shot. 

You can definitely solder the wires.  The risk of causing damage to electronics from messing something up is minimal.  For most stereo headphones, you will have two wires and a shield.  identify the left and right channels if your headphones aren't reversible.  If you have a microphone, you need to identify the correct wire for it too.  A digital multimeter and the wiring standard might help.

1.  Strip back plenty of insulation.  You might be comfortable with 2" on either side for the center conductors and 4" for the shield.

2.  Add an appropriate amount of heat shrink tubing for each of the center conductors and the shield.  Strip the shield back more if you need room for the heat shrink tube.  Electrical tape works but will look worse and may not hold up as long.

3.  Tin the wires (optional, but better solder joint), twist them together, and solder them.  Shrink the heat shrink around them so your channels don't touch the shield or each other.

4.  Add aluminum foil around the insulated conductors to act as a shield.  Solder the shield/ground wire to the aluminum foil if you can.  If not, just make sure the shield wire touches the foil.

5.  Finish by wrapping it in the final layer of heat shrink or the electrical tape.

Figured I should update this.

I cut and stripped the wire back. There was about 12 really, really, really small strands of wire that needed to be soldered. Some were individually insulated as well. I started to solder, but the wires were way, way, way to small. 

So they headset got tossed. That was hard tossing them into the dumpster; I think they went for something like $150. I ordered HyperX headsets. They'll arrive tomorrow.