Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Tell me what happened that...

ArChWindArChWind Member UncommonPosts: 1,340

new games are being paid Alpha1, paid alpha2, paid alpha3, paid beta1, paid beta2 paid beta3 and then paid beta with ftp and cash shop at release?

What has happened to this genre anyway?

What happened to put the game up as is and pay sub if you want to play?

Are we that gullible?

ArChWind — MMORPG.com Forums

If you are interested in making a MMO maybe visit my page to get a free open source engine.

Comments

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

paying for alpha/beta has nothing to do with a game being F2P or having a sub. 

But to answer your question.... Yes, people are gullible. Alpha/beta payers arent testers, they just cant wait for a proper release and then complain when the game disappoints after launch and they wasted their money.

THey can do whatever they want with their money..... Unfortunately, companies take advantage of that by turning alpha/beta testing into a full blown business with the excuse that its in development still so they avoid bad criticism and get away with releasing crap while still making a lot of money with the unfinished product.

• ArChWindArChWind Member UncommonPosts: 1,340

Originally posted by rojoArcueid
    paying for alpha/beta has nothing to do with a game being F2P or having a sub. 

But to answer your question.... Yes, people are gullible. Alpha/beta payers arent testers, they just cant wait for a proper release and then complain when the game disappoints after launch and they wasted their money.

THey can do whatever they want with their money..... Unfortunately, companies take advantage of that by turning alpha/beta testing into a full blown business with the excuse that its in development still so they avoid bad criticism and get away with releasing crap while still making a lot of money with the unfinished product.

I guess that kind of makes sense to get people to pay to be testers rather than let them test for nothing or pay for a sub and expect it working perfectly.

If you are interested in making a MMO maybe visit my page to get a free open source engine.
  • Beatnik59Beatnik59 Member UncommonPosts: 2,413
    Originally posted by ArChWind

new games are being paid Alpha1, paid alpha2, paid alpha3, paid beta1, paid beta2 paid beta3 and then paid beta with ftp and cash shop at release?

What happened to put the game up as is and pay sub if you want to play?

Are we that gullible?

There was a time when we used to buy games.

Then we were expected to buy buggy games that they would later fix via patch (patch'n'play).

Then we were expected to buy games, but not be able to play them unless we bought a recurring subscription (sub).

Then we were expected to buy not only the game, and the subscription, but expansions periodically.

Then we were expected to play bad games with an in-game store for things that would make it better (F2P).

Then we were expected to pay for games in advance, so that when we finally did get them, we'd be über (pre-order).

Then we were expected to buy incomplete games, that they would later complete for us (beta buy).

These days, however, we don't even buy games anymore, but ideas for games that, with enough cash thrown at it and luck, we might play someday (Kickstarter, IndieGoGo).

"...when it comes to pimping EVE I have little restraints."
    --Hellmar, CEO of CCP.

"It's like they took a gun, put it to their nugget sack and pulled the trigger over and over again, each time telling us how great it was that they were shooting themselves in the balls."
    --Exar_Kun on SWG's NGE

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    People are willing to pay for early access, because knowledge is power, and knowing how to exploit every aspect of a game before launch is an edge many will spend much for, even at the risk of ultimately being disappointed in the end.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556
    Originally posted by ArChWind

Big publishers came in in 2004, focused on making profits rather than good games. Everyone hated the games, and now they're trying to find creative ways to market sub par products, as the whole "sell a bunch of boxes and then merge all the servers" thing hasn't been working.

• fineflufffinefluff Member RarePosts: 561
    People don't always think about the implications of how they spend their money. If we could learn to have more patience and more awareness about the influence of our spending habits, then this wouldn't be as much of thing as it is now. But no, we want it NOW.
  • TiamatRoarTiamatRoar Member RarePosts: 1,685

They found out that if they market to the addict whales, they'd make more profit even if the game got a shorter lifespan and less player retention because of it.  And profit for a business is king.

http://www.gdcvault.com/play/1016417/-100-000-Whales-An

• ErgloadErgload Member UncommonPosts: 433
    I don't think buy-to-play alpha/beta games are necessarily bad, it depends entirely on the developer. For indie devs without an AAA budget, the money from alpha/beta players can fund the rest of the game's development, which is great if its actually a promising game. For developers just exploiting the market, yeah its not so great.

Originally posted by Beatnik59
    Originally posted by ArChWind new games are being paid Alpha1, paid alpha2, paid alpha3, paid beta1, paid beta2 paid beta3 and then paid beta with ftp and cash shop at release? What has happened to this genre anyway? What happened to put the game up as is and pay sub if you want to play? Are we that gullible?
    There was a time when we used to buy games.

Then we were expected to buy buggy games that they would later fix via patch (patch'n'play).

Then we were expected to buy games, but not be able to play them unless we bought a recurring subscription (sub).

Then we were expected to buy not only the game, and the subscription, but expansions periodically.

Then we were expected to play bad games with an in-game store for things that would make it better (F2P).

Then we were expected to pay for games in advance, so that when we finally did get them, we'd be über (pre-order).

Then we were expected to buy incomplete games, that they would later complete for us (beta buy).

These days, however, we don't even buy games anymore, but ideas for games that, with enough cash thrown at it and luck, we might play someday (Kickstarter, IndieGoGo).

So where is the trend going to end? To pay to NOT make MMORPGS?

Originally posted by Ergload
    I don't think buy-to-play alpha/beta games are necessarily bad, it depends entirely on the developer. For indie devs without an AAA budget, the money from alpha/beta players can fund the rest of the game's development, which is great if its actually a promising game. For developers just exploiting the market, yeah its not so great.
    In a way it seems to me that would be counter productive even for indie games to pre -anything. It does not show the real world and since in the end it is ftp anyway may as well get as many as possible in now so the developer can see how well the design functions as a whole.

Limitations on these is based on we have to control the traffic attitude or don't want the riffraff but the bigger issues come later when they no longer can control the traffic. They can't keep out those that intend to destroy the game for the sake of doing so. Makes more sense to release a basic design and keep adding to it anyway. Make the basic mechanics and open a server cluster to expand as they go. Kind of Runescape style.

Of course no one want to start slow and build up as the trends now is to soak as much revenue out the player base as possible and let it live or die on its own merit.

Originally posted by Kyleran
    People are willing to pay for early access, because knowledge is power, and knowing how to exploit every aspect of a game before launch is an edge many will spend much for, even at the risk of ultimately being disappointed in the end.
    How do they get advantage? Most alpha and beta are wiped clean at release.