Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] World of Warcraft: The Top 5 Free-to-Play WoW Clones

Comments

• AsamofAsamof Member UncommonPosts: 824

i'm not a fan of rift or tor, but they're worlds better than this trash list. all those games listed are truly bottom of the barrel (allods might have been decent if their company wasn't so endlessly greedy)

• WhySoSeriousWhySoSerious Member UncommonPosts: 156
    I found Allods to be tolerable. Though I haven't played it in years.
  • GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    I would guess that this list omits games that have subscription options
  • TypososTyposos Member UncommonPosts: 39
    rift?ultimate free to play , i do all end game pvp raids rifts etc , and i plaid 0 euros. two of my friends paid 20-25 euro and i have better gear than them.
  • syriinxsyriinx Member UncommonPosts: 1,383

For all the people saying Rift or ToR:  this seems to be a list of true f2p, not freemium games.

As far as Rift being a WoW clone, it certainly was at launch.  

GCD based combat (EQ/EQ2 did not have this)

3 tree talent point system (EQ/EQ2 did not have this)  

Fast leveling tailored towards the solo player meant to be done in a month or less (WoW at launch was not like this, but by the time Rift was made it was.  EQ was the exact opposite.  EQ2 does follow the WoW model now)

grey/green/blue/purple formula based ilevel gear (EQ's gear was a lot more creative.  EQ2 did have a similar system but at least didnt use the color system.  Both did a better job of hiding the ilevel system when used)

battleground PvP the main PvP focus (EQ/EQ2 did not have a pvp focus at all, although EQ2 did add battlegrounds later)

gather, click, no fail combine tradeskill with guaranteed skill up success (both EQ and EQ2 have different systems)

gathering professions and production professions, with limits to how many you can choose (EQ and EQ2 both have different approaches)

*ALL* dungeons instanced, with a clear path from one end to the other.  Recycled at max level, meant to be repeated over and over and over and over and over for tokens for gear.  (Ok, EQ did popularize the token grind, but both EQ and EQ2 mix in open world dungeons as well.  Both games also contain some non linear dungeons.  EQ had some level scaling dungeons.  EQ2 later reused a couple of popular dungeons.  But neither game blatantly made their leveling dungeons double as their endgame dungeons

Yes, Rift had EQ2's collections and a public quest type system, but its core gameplay was lifted from WoW, not EQ/EQ2.  

The people that say WoW is an EQ clone don't understand the concept at all.

EQ and WoW share genre similarities.  Most of the core gameplay between the two games is very different and there were some huge philosophical differences.

• XanzoXanzo Member UncommonPosts: 129
    Originally posted by Thestrain
    Originally posted by Torvaldr
    Originally posted by CrazKanuk
    Originally posted by Mitara
    Rift is definitely the best quality WoW clone. Why is it not on the list? Have they closed the Rift?

Too innovative maybe? To be fair, they did have some cool features and deep talent trees. 

Because it's not a WoW clone. The closest thing it could be paired to might be EQ2, but it's not really a clone. People are confusing "clone" with standard themepark. Those games are nearly clones in both appearance, gameplay, and feel. Rift has some similar systems (Auction House and Crafting), but it neither looks or plays like WoW. Rift also has some systems that are nothing like WoW systems (class building, artifact hunting, dimensions). Aion and especially TERA don't even look or play like WoW.

Themepark doesn't equal WoW Clone. A clone is an identical. The games on that list fit. The other games in the comments, not so much.

There we go again... arguing about literal meaning of WOW CLONE. Typical. A MMO doesn't have to to be similar in 'looks' alone to be considered a wow clone.

Rift was a blatant rip off of WOW if you didn't know that then i blame it on willful ignorance.

Thestrain = the definition of ignorance. Rift being a rip off of WoW? Oh that's sad. And yes, you might want to look up what clone means. This is even after your other comments.

• ThebeastttThebeasttt Member RarePosts: 1,130
    Rift not even on the list? lmao
  • sunandshadowsunandshadow Member RarePosts: 1,985
    How the heck is Perfect World not on this list???
    I want to help design and develop a PvE-focused, solo-friendly, sandpark MMO which combines crafting, monster hunting, and story.  So PM me if you are starting one.
  • MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,033
    Originally posted by jdizzle2k13
    Originally posted by Piscore

Rift is the best F2P clone of WoW

True Story.

Truth. Plus, it's a great F2P model. 

I know it wasn't originally free to play, but to not even have it on this list as one of the top free to play WoW clones seems rather silly to me.

To me Tera is not a WoW clone.  It plays significantly different from a tab target mmo.  Rift, Aion, SWTOR are a few examples of "WoW clones".  Quests, dungeons, leveling, etc are MMO features.  They do not automatically mean it's a WoW clone.

• ZalmonZalmon Member Posts: 319
    Originally posted by Thebeasttt
    Rift not even on the list? lmao

I was wondering the same.

• MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,033
    Originally posted by gunmanvlad

Ehem, people aren't reading the title..."f2p WoW CLONES". If you look at the games on top, they're virtually copy-pasted games in terms of visuals, concept, UI, everything!

The question is rather, WHY would anyone play these?

Indeed, a list for WoW-like MMOs (themepark with similar combat system and strong PvE focus) would include:

1). Rift

2). SWTOR (not fantasy tho...)

3). Aion (sort of?)

etc.

TERA has nothing to do with WoW other than being a fantasy MMORPG, sorry folks.

Glad to see another intelligent poster.

• ZalmonZalmon Member Posts: 319
    Originally posted by Xanzo
    . Rift being a rip off of WoW? Oh that's sad. And yes, you might want to look up what clone means. This is even after your other comments.

Its about the context not the meaning. If you want to go by strict meaning of CLONE not one MMO is a clone of WOW. So i ask why do you want us to go look up what clone means when we already know the context it is being used in? hmm?

To say Rift is not clone / copy of WOW is nothing but being dishonest.

• zaberfangxzaberfangx Member UncommonPosts: 1,796

Let just put it out there, a game not a true wow close if the game don't have panda's!

Lets face it we are picking the small part of a mmo and calling 95% of the mmo here a wow clone when there tons of them not in or close a wow clone, rift, tera, swtor, Aion, and many more have there own part being it's own mmo.

If don't people agree, can't help them they going call any mmo a wow clone as they have a hate for that mmo or they just don't like a mmo that doing good taking there space of there mmo so with out any base and what make a wow clone they just call it wow clone.

• EntinerintEntinerint Member UncommonPosts: 868

Officially this is the most depressing article on MMORPG.com to date.

How many F2P WoW clones didn't make the list, I dread to think?

• MyownGodMyownGod Member UncommonPosts: 205
    Originally posted by Razeekster
    Rift is definitely the best quality WoW clone. Why is it not on the list? Have they closed the Rift?

Too innovative maybe? To be fair, they did have some cool features and deep talent trees. 

Because it's not a WoW clone. The closest thing it could be paired to might be EQ2, but it's not really a clone. People are confusing "clone" with standard themepark. Those games are nearly clones in both appearance, gameplay, and feel. Rift has some similar systems (Auction House and Crafting), but it neither looks or plays like WoW. Rift also has some systems that are nothing like WoW systems (class building, artifact hunting, dimensions). Aion and especially TERA don't even look or play like WoW.

Themepark doesn't equal WoW Clone. A clone is an identical. The games on that list fit. The other games in the comments, not so much.

There we go again... arguing about literal meaning of WOW CLONE. Typical. A MMO doesn't have to to be similar in 'looks' alone to be considered a wow clone.

Rift was a blatant rip off of WOW if you didn't know that then i blame it on willful ignorance.

The word clone does mean something. If you don't get that it is much closer to EQ2 in many ways then maybe that's just lack of experience or exposure on your part. Even if you disregard the visuals (which would rule out the clone part) it plays nothing like WoW. Have you played either of them lately or at all?

You know and i know what the term WOW CLONE means. It is about the context and not the literal meaning of it. Just like how people like to argue around P2W.

Did Rift suddenly change into FPS over the years? nope. It is still a tab targetted MMO with linear questing and carbon copy of WOW's end gear (gated content) treadmill. Just few of the many features made standard by WOW.

Did you play EQ2 at launch? it underway heavy changes after WOW's success. To say Rift modeled itself after EQ2 when EQ2 modeled itself after WOW gives this a whole new level of irony.

You just described every themepark... Guess that means every themepark out there is a WoW clone trololol!

Not every themepark is a WOW clone. ESO is themepark too and so is GW2. 

You guys seriously care enough to argue about video games? I thought these "WoW Clones" arguments have vanished but apparently some people choose to act like an 8 years old who thinks he/she is very smart and continuously argues the existence of Boogey man. Honestly how old are you guys?

• NemersesNemerses Member Posts: 23
    Article by another idiot wow fan boy

www.Immortals-mmo.co.uk

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    The top WoW clones are MMOs like Rift and GW2 (not 1) EQ2 (not 1), WS; for some strange reason they did not want to mention those. :D
  • tumyuetumyue Member UncommonPosts: 6
    How  can you speak of wow clone when wow is a copy/paste of others games?

• daltaniousdaltanious Member UncommonPosts: 2,381
    Originally posted by Ozmodan

Seriously David, there is nothing free about any of those games you listed.  All require item shop purchases.  Sure you can avoid the item shop if you so desire, but that disallows you from a significant portion of the game.

Basically most of these games require you to gamble as you have to buy chance boxes to advance play.

Exactly. One of first and last "free" games I have played was Rappelz. At the end of month I have discovered to be able at all to play very mediocre game i have spent for cash shop more than would for that perfection Wow offer.

Nothing is free in life. Nothing. Sooner or later there is price to pay.

• More love for Rift! Currently building a new pc to get back in the game!
  • HatefullHatefull Member EpicPosts: 2,502

Well put Thorvald, the ignorance about this is pretty astounding.  Just because games have a loosely similar system does not mean clone.  I wish people could understand that.

If you want a new idea, go read an old book.

In order to be insulted, I must first value your opinion.

• lotharlocnarlotharlocnar Member Posts: 13

Lmmfao- You people saying rift is a WoW clone blows my mind. It's like saying Rifts,Talislanta,GURPS,Role Master...etc..was a Dungeons and Dragons clone.I been in the gaming world since 1975 and all these MMOs especially the rpgmmos are copying the original game "Dungeons and Dragons" and no, I'm not reffering to the online version (which is far from the original D&D pencil and paper game) Gary and Dave had the idea and created every base idea these MMOs are trying to emulate.

The "look" of WAR might have been the closest to the look of WoW.

The races were mainly from Tolkien the interaction and "questing" is from D&D. Leveling is from D&D. Rift PvP is terrible in that the PvP system is broke and the devs refuse to acknowledge that or fix it. lol, remember the level lock fiasco, where everyone just locked at 19th,29th,39th and so on fully equipped with planar eq? Just so they could destroy (OP) any of that bracket lower than themselves. Fine example of Rift really trying but failing to bring PvP into balance.

As long as Trion refuses to listen to it's customers it's PvP will fail!!

Earl Lothar Loc'Nar

• puffmousepuffmouse Member UncommonPosts: 44
    For follow up article please post top 5 free eq clones, and also top 5 free non wow clones thank you
  • ThestrainThestrain Member CommonPosts: 390
    Originally posted by MyownGod
    Originally posted by Razeekster

The word clone does mean something. If you don't get that it is much closer to EQ2 in many ways then maybe that's just lack of experience or exposure on your part. Even if you disregard the visuals (which would rule out the clone part) it plays nothing like WoW. Have you played either of them lately or at all?

You know and i know what the term WOW CLONE means. It is about the context and not the literal meaning of it. Just like how people like to argue around P2W.

Did Rift suddenly change into FPS over the years? nope. It is still a tab targetted MMO with linear questing and carbon copy of WOW's end gear (gated content) treadmill. Just few of the many features made standard by WOW.

Did you play EQ2 at launch? it underway heavy changes after WOW's success. To say Rift modeled itself after EQ2 when EQ2 modeled itself after WOW gives this a whole new level of irony.

You just described every themepark... Guess that means every themepark out there is a WoW clone trololol!

Not every themepark is a WOW clone. ESO is themepark too and so is GW2. 

You guys seriously care enough to argue about video games? I thought these "WoW Clones" arguments have vanished but apparently some people choose to act like an 8 years old who thinks he/she is very smart and continuously argues the existence of Boogey man. Honestly how old are you guys?

Are you being ironic right now?

• syriinxsyriinx Member UncommonPosts: 1,383
    Originally posted by tumyue
    How  can you speak of wow clone when wow is a copy/paste of others games?

because it isnt.  The game WoW was by far the most similar to came out one week before it, and really WoW and EQ2 are only vaguely similar because they were the first two quest driven themeparks.  

My post a couple pages back explains why Rift was a WoW clone and WoW is not an EQ clone.