Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The combat is boring

2»

Comments

• GrableGrable Member UncommonPosts: 66

Yeah, I wasn't that bothered with the slow-ish combat really (long GCD), sure I wouldn't mind a faster GCD but still. I was more bothered by the fact that I had to spam 1 spell the entire time.

Anyway, I tried out Marauder yesterday and it felt more interesting to play compared to Conjurer. Just overall more abilities you use in a single fight, making it less boring.

• merv808merv808 Member UncommonPosts: 511
    Originally posted by Grable

Yeah, I wasn't that bothered with the slow-ish combat really (long GCD), sure I wouldn't mind a faster GCD but still. I was more bothered by the fact that I had to spam 1 spell the entire time.Anyway, I tried out Marauder yesterday and it felt more interesting to play compared to Conjurer. Just overall more abilities you use in a single fight, making it less boring.

If you like marauder you should also check out pugilist. I had a lot of fun at early levels playing both classes
  • ZenTaoYingYangZenTaoYingYang Member Posts: 354

this show u just how not boring the combat is VS a dummy, didnt even include if you are fighting lv50+ bosses which are very tuned and engaging:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5lTcltM_Uo

Originally posted by merv808

Yeah, I wasn't that bothered with the slow-ish combat really (long GCD), sure I wouldn't mind a faster GCD but still. I was more bothered by the fact that I had to spam 1 spell the entire time.

Anyway, I tried out Marauder yesterday and it felt more interesting to play compared to Conjurer. Just overall more abilities you use in a single fight, making it less boring.

If you like marauder you should also check out pugilist. I had a lot of fun at early levels playing both classes

Decided I want to go for a more sought after classes/jobs in this game, so either a healer or a tank. But yeah, I heard pugilist is the most fun to play at early levels.

• YashaXYashaX Member EpicPosts: 3,098
    Originally posted by fivoroth
    Originally posted by azzamasin
    Originally posted by Nepheth

Well... You're talking about like first 15 levels here. What do you expect? All games like this. FFXIV is not an exception. In WoW let's say you're playing monk. You have only two hot skills till you reach 32, which you will only use one of them mostly in dungeons. Even you reach 32, you will continue to use that only skill. The first time you'll see a difference is when you reach 46. Like I said, all games like this. The real fun starts when you reach certain levels with your characters.

In FFXIV, the real thing starts with a job select. When you reach level 30 with your main class and level 15 with your secondary class you'll choose a job. If I have to give an example; When I did reach like 35 with my scholar(which is a healer job), I had 5 heal skills, 5 buff skills, a lot of dots and attack skills which I don't normally use and some very important core skills.

You can see which skills you'll get over time here..;

http://ffxiv.consolegameswiki.com/wiki/Conjurer

http://ffxiv.consolegameswiki.com/wiki/White_Mage

Even for a level 10 conjurer you got 2 heal skills. I think it is the ideal number of skills for the first levels.

This is the issue with tab target combat.  It is slow, boring and mind-numbingly easy.

Action combat is by far the best combat for MMO's, its visceral and fluid which makes only pressing 1 or 2 buttons more fun.  I think we all know someone who plays tab target combat MMO's while also watching TV or doing something else.  Impossible in an action combat MMO.  Which is why I will always say that if you need some sort of outside stimuli to keep you engrossed then the combat or MMO it is featured in needs to be put down.

Can you give any examples of great action combat in MMOs? Cause I've played a few which claimed to have an awesome action combat system but nope, it was still boring ass MMO combat. E.g., in GW2 I was bored of the combat by lvl 20. Not sure if that was action combat but felt ridiculously bland and your standard 1-5 mindless button mashing you do in other MMOs.

Well, it is kind of amusing that someone on this thread said FF14 combat is great but only really opens up at level 50 and you judge GW2 combat by level 20 in a game of 80 levels!

Anyway, GW2 combat is only semi-action combat, it still has a lot of tab-targeting elements. The feel also varies a lot depending on which class you play. Much more exciting than any traditional tab-targeter though.

I haven't found any mmo with combat as good as say Dragons Dogma, but off the top of my head Tera, Neverwinter, ESO, Vindictus, Dragon's Prophet, Darkfall, and Dragon's Nest are mmos I have played that all have their own take on action combat. They all fall short of a good console action rpg in terms of combat imo though.

• LazzaroLazzaro Member UncommonPosts: 548

I don't mind tab targeting or action combat, as long as it has depth I'm ok with either or.

• Gregor999Gregor999 Member Posts: 86

That was my biggest gripe as well. FFXIV combat bored me to tears. Combined with ridiculous anime animations for the simplest attacks just killed all immersion for me.

Going from FFXI ranger to FFXIV archer is truly disgraceful. Instead of carefully aimed attacks you have arrows flying out of every orifice, sometimes faster then the animation. It's just silly and done to death and yet somehow worse in ARR.

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,101
    I must admit the conjurer was pretty bad until you got higher now at 50 as a white mage  I love the job and the dungeons and I think there is a lot of strategy,timing and thinking involved in the game.
    Chamber of Chains
    Now at level 12 with Marauder, and it's much better. 3 damage skills, 2 defensive and 1 stun make the combat a lot more interesting. It's still a bit on the slow side with 2,5 sec GCD, but this allows for cooler animations and I enjoy looking at them.
  • chakalakachakalaka Member UncommonPosts: 291
    I have had a hard time getting into this game because of the combat yes. Something about it has just been hard for me to get into. 
  • goboygogoboygo Member RarePosts: 2,141

Well... You're talking about like first 15 levels here. What do you expect? All games like this. FFXIV is not an exception. In WoW let's say you're playing monk. You have only two hot skills till you reach 32, which you will only use one of them mostly in dungeons. Even you reach 32, you will continue to use that only skill. The first time you'll see a difference is when you reach 46. Like I said, all games like this. The real fun starts when you reach certain levels with your characters.

In FFXIV, the real thing starts with a job select. When you reach level 30 with your main class and level 15 with your secondary class you'll choose a job. If I have to give an example; When I did reach like 35 with my scholar(which is a healer job), I had 5 heal skills, 5 buff skills, a lot of dots and attack skills which I don't normally use and some very important core skills.

Even for a level 10 conjurer you got 2 heal skills. I think it is the ideal number of skills for the first levels.

As I continued to level my character I kept waiting for this "depth" of combat to happen that everyone was talking about.  It never happened.  There simply aren't enough skills available even at the highest levels to keep combat interesting for me.  However I'm not a big fan of smaller skill bars, GW2, ESO etc.  I don't have any problem managing 10 to 15 abilities at once all on the same bar when they all compliment each other.  And not some cheesy weapon swapping with a delay to get at 5 more abilities that don't have any synergy with the other five.

I liked the other aspects of this game but I cant help but agree with the OP.  Combat is not the strong point of this game.

• nbtscannbtscan Member UncommonPosts: 862
    Originally posted by goboygo

As I continued to level my character I kept waiting for this "depth" of combat to happen that everyone was talking about.  It never happened.  There simply aren't enough skills available even at the highest levels to keep combat interesting for me.  

I don't know about you, but I had three bars full of skills.  Not sure what your'e used to playing but having access to 30 skills seems like more than enough to me, and they're going to add more as they raise level caps and such.  To each their own I guess.

• dreamscaperdreamscaper Member UncommonPosts: 1,592
    At max level you have plenty of skills.

<3

• KissThaRingKissThaRing Member UncommonPosts: 78

During my trial, there's a lot of things I liked about this game. I liked the leves and FATEs and the dungeon I tried was also okay. Quests aren't anything special, but at least you complete them fast. The world, characters and music is nice. The community seems better than most MMOs, which is great. I really liked the out of combat regen so there was basically no downtime to questing.

But the combat was devastatingly boring. Playing a cleric, 95% of my time was spent using the same skill (Stone). In dungeon, 95% was using the single target heal spell. It's a shame they didn't put in a few more skills to spice it up and I don't feel like purchasing the game if combat is like that.

I take it DPS classes are a bit more interesting to level, but I really want to play a support role. Are tanks any faster/more interesting to level? It seems that they have more skills to damage at least.

Regards

Watch some Youtoob videos of Titan Extreme,  Frontline (PvP) Matches or Twintania Turn 5 - trust me, combat in FF is not boring at all .It's very rotation heavy and positioning and thinking on the fly is required.

Like others have said, this game purposely eases you in the first 50 levels. It may start off slow and boring, but it purposely does that to get you familiar with the mechanics. The first 50 levels are basically a giant training marathon to get you ready for the real end game content, like hard mode dungeons, raid coil, hardmode/extreme primal fights, and frontlines. 

I enjoy undercutting people in the market place - it's the only PvP a crafter gets.

• OhhPaigeyOhhPaigey Member RarePosts: 1,517
    I bought the digital deluxe version of this game when it released, problem is I was never able to play it because of some crashing bug, wasted my $ lol.
    When all is said and done, more is always said than done.
  • fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916
    Originally posted by YashaX

This is the issue with tab target combat.  It is slow, boring and mind-numbingly easy.

Action combat is by far the best combat for MMO's, its visceral and fluid which makes only pressing 1 or 2 buttons more fun.  I think we all know someone who plays tab target combat MMO's while also watching TV or doing something else.  Impossible in an action combat MMO.  Which is why I will always say that if you need some sort of outside stimuli to keep you engrossed then the combat or MMO it is featured in needs to be put down.

Can you give any examples of great action combat in MMOs? Cause I've played a few which claimed to have an awesome action combat system but nope, it was still boring ass MMO combat. E.g., in GW2 I was bored of the combat by lvl 20. Not sure if that was action combat but felt ridiculously bland and your standard 1-5 mindless button mashing you do in other MMOs.

Well, it is kind of amusing that someone on this thread said FF14 combat is great but only really opens up at level 50 and you judge GW2 combat by level 20 in a game of 80 levels!

Anyway, GW2 combat is only semi-action combat, it still has a lot of tab-targeting elements. The feel also varies a lot depending on which class you play. Much more exciting than any traditional tab-targeter though.

I haven't found any mmo with combat as good as say Dragons Dogma, but off the top of my head Tera, Neverwinter, ESO, Vindictus, Dragon's Prophet, Darkfall, and Dragon's Nest are mmos I have played that all have their own take on action combat. They all fall short of a good console action rpg in terms of combat imo though.

I judge GW2 combat based on levelling up 2 characters to level 80 and trying pretty much most professions till level 20. Combat started to get boring by level 20 and it got ridiculously boring at around 40.

In any case I think that the way FFXIV does it's combat progression is bad. The game literally treats you like an idiot until level 50. The combat and dungeons should not be soooo easy while levelling up. Makes for one boring experience. I lost count how many times I got so bored I almost fell asleep during the level 1-40 dungeons because they are so disgustingly easy.

Both of these games had some really cool things going on for them so I carried on till max level. In most other MMOs I just deleted teh game.

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• darkhalf357xdarkhalf357x Member UncommonPosts: 1,237

I disagree.  I like tab target combat for MMOs gameplay and dont think its mind-numbingly easy (unless the game itself inhibits your options).

The problem with action combat is it forces you to think more tactical instead of strategic.  This is fun for like the first 20 or so levels.  But as you level up the constant strafing in a circle to kill something gets boring.  Too much work to advance, not enough time to focus on what you are doing.  Right now it just feels too shallow. Maybe some developer will add depth to action combat but I wouldnt hold my breath.

But this is just me.

• YashaXYashaX Member EpicPosts: 3,098
    Originally posted by YashaX

I judge GW2 combat based on levelling up 2 characters to level 80 and trying pretty much most professions till level 20. Combat started to get boring by level 20 and it got ridiculously boring at around 40.

In any case I think that the way FFXIV does it's combat progression is bad. The game literally treats you like an idiot until level 50. The combat and dungeons should not be soooo easy while levelling up. Makes for one boring experience. I lost count how many times I got so bored I almost fell asleep during the level 1-40 dungeons because they are so disgustingly easy.

Both of these games had some really cool things going on for them so I carried on till max level. In most other MMOs I just deleted teh game.

Yeah I played the FF14 trial but its just not enough time to get a real insight into what the game is like. So much of the starting area seems like a tutorial not just for the game, but for "how to mmo" in general. The atmosphere was really nice, but its hard to make a decision to actually buy it based on that early experience, especially when there are quite a few games which I know are good. Its not just the money, its the time investment.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

I found it boring as well,i was expecting tweaks and improvements on FFXI but instead it was streamlined and much more bland.Combat is one the main reasons i did not stick with the game,the way content is presented was the other.Everything else in the game is pretty good but those two areas were enough to turn me away.

I do realize the way combat is done end sup being similar to any other game,it just does it a tad different and imo makes it looks boring.Example you might kill a mob in 10 secs or so which might be the same in any other equal challenge in any other game and imo 10 secs is deff not too slow but it is how it is accomplished that matters.Example in FFXI it actually took a bit longer but that game uses spike damage and more skills/abilities spells to get there,so it comes off as more fun.In FFXIV it felt like every single class was the same,just press hotbar icon 1/2/3 or 4 or whatever and you were always doing the same damage ,somewhere around 150 potency.That Potency idea is imo a real dumb idea and similar to SOE's idea in combat and never liked it there either.

You take a base dmg on a weapon say 10 or whatever then it's the same for each weapon and the Potency is the same,so ya boring.The way you make good intuitive combat is to bring accuracy and avoidance and elemental properties with resistances ,FFXIV like all other games just designed a system that makes it VERY easy to control for the developer.I also feel the biggest mistake ever was perhaps they were thinking long term pvp in which case you need balance and that is never good for PVE.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• CastillleCastillle Member UncommonPosts: 2,679

During my trial, there's a lot of things I liked about this game. I liked the leves and FATEs and the dungeon I tried was also okay. Quests aren't anything special, but at least you complete them fast. The world, characters and music is nice. The community seems better than most MMOs, which is great. I really liked the out of combat regen so there was basically no downtime to questing.

But the combat was devastatingly boring. Playing a cleric, 95% of my time was spent using the same skill (Stone). In dungeon, 95% was using the single target heal spell. It's a shame they didn't put in a few more skills to spice it up and I don't feel like purchasing the game if combat is like that.

I take it DPS classes are a bit more interesting to level, but I really want to play a support role. Are tanks any faster/more interesting to level? It seems that they have more skills to damage at least.

Regards

I find playing a Scholar a TON more fun than playing a white mage for healing.

''/\/\'' Posted using Iphone bunni
    ( o.o)
    (")(")
    **This bunny was cloned from bunnies belonging to Gobla and is part of the Quizzical Fanclub and the The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club**

• shalissarshalissar Member UncommonPosts: 509

Playing a healer is awful. husband's buddies needed one and none of them wanted to play it and i can see why. Baby's first healer. Scholar is a little better when your selene fairy gets that speed buff (that's fun) but i can't help but feel that healers in this game are overall the most uninspired piles of mediocrity that I've seen in a mmorpg yet.

If WAR did nothing else right, it spoiled me on healers. I can't go back to generic healing, especially in this game. Yuck.

Monk's super fun though, positional moves are fun with high skill speed, you always have to be on your toes. Rotations vary and can get complex while you try to manage your buffs and dots. I enjoyed that class quite a bit.