Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] World of Warcraft: The Top 5 Free-to-Play WoW Clones

Comments

• KarontenoKamiiKarontenoKamii Member UncommonPosts: 25
    Originally posted by Joejc7135
    Is MMORPG.com owned by Activision Blizzard now? Those game are obviously all EQ clones. This site has been forming shits in my tummy lately.

've you played any of this games?

my guess isn't so how can you tell this are EQ Clones?

just by screenshots Wow o,o

• MMOGamer71MMOGamer71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,988
    Originally posted by Piscore

Rift is the best F2P clone of WoW

True Story.

I agree with this.

• VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872
    Originally posted by Piscore

Rift is the best F2P clone of WoW

True Story.

I suppose they don't want to categorize Rift as a WoW-clone on this site to not make Trion mad and rather keep on presenting Rift as it's own title that is not in the shadows of WoW.

MMORPG.COM and Trion have always had this sort of strong bond.

• Geddon95405Geddon95405 Member UncommonPosts: 111

dude didn't even list rift, ridiculous

This is like an advertisement for these games. Proper overview would at least describe how harsh the F2P "bite" is for each game.

Crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and hear the lamentations of their women...

• causscauss Member UncommonPosts: 666
    This list... This isn't even competition.
  • goth1cgoth1c Member UncommonPosts: 79
    I am proud to say never played any of these, and probaly never will

• RazeeksterRazeekster Member UncommonPosts: 2,591
    Originally posted by Thestrain
    Originally posted by Torvaldr
    Originally posted by CrazKanuk
    Originally posted by Mitara
    Rift is definitely the best quality WoW clone. Why is it not on the list? Have they closed the Rift?

Too innovative maybe? To be fair, they did have some cool features and deep talent trees. 

Because it's not a WoW clone. The closest thing it could be paired to might be EQ2, but it's not really a clone. People are confusing "clone" with standard themepark. Those games are nearly clones in both appearance, gameplay, and feel. Rift has some similar systems (Auction House and Crafting), but it neither looks or plays like WoW. Rift also has some systems that are nothing like WoW systems (class building, artifact hunting, dimensions). Aion and especially TERA don't even look or play like WoW.

Themepark doesn't equal WoW Clone. A clone is an identical. The games on that list fit. The other games in the comments, not so much.

There we go again... arguing about literal meaning of WOW CLONE. Typical. A MMO doesn't have to to be similar in 'looks' alone to be considered a wow clone.

Rift was a blatant rip off of WOW if you didn't know that then i blame it on willful ignorance.

The word clone does mean something. If you don't get that it is much closer to EQ2 in many ways then maybe that's just lack of experience or exposure on your part. Even if you disregard the visuals (which would rule out the clone part) it plays nothing like WoW. Have you played either of them lately or at all?

You know and i know what the term WOW CLONE means. It is about the context and not the literal meaning of it. Just like how people like to argue around P2W.

Did Rift suddenly change into FPS over the years? nope. It is still a tab targetted MMO with linear questing and carbon copy of WOW's end gear (gated content) treadmill. Just few of the many features made standard by WOW.

Did you play EQ2 at launch? it underway heavy changes after WOW's success. To say Rift modeled itself after EQ2 when EQ2 modeled itself after WOW gives this a whole new level of irony.

You just described every themepark... Guess that means every themepark out there is a WoW clone trololol!

Smile

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

Rift was a WoW clone.

Trion didn't even hide it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BpXoNaiPfT8

• ThestrainThestrain Member CommonPosts: 390
    Originally posted by Razeekster
    Originally posted by CrazKanuk
    Rift is definitely the best quality WoW clone. Why is it not on the list? Have they closed the Rift?

Too innovative maybe? To be fair, they did have some cool features and deep talent trees. 

Because it's not a WoW clone. The closest thing it could be paired to might be EQ2, but it's not really a clone. People are confusing "clone" with standard themepark. Those games are nearly clones in both appearance, gameplay, and feel. Rift has some similar systems (Auction House and Crafting), but it neither looks or plays like WoW. Rift also has some systems that are nothing like WoW systems (class building, artifact hunting, dimensions). Aion and especially TERA don't even look or play like WoW.

Themepark doesn't equal WoW Clone. A clone is an identical. The games on that list fit. The other games in the comments, not so much.

There we go again... arguing about literal meaning of WOW CLONE. Typical. A MMO doesn't have to to be similar in 'looks' alone to be considered a wow clone.

Rift was a blatant rip off of WOW if you didn't know that then i blame it on willful ignorance.

The word clone does mean something. If you don't get that it is much closer to EQ2 in many ways then maybe that's just lack of experience or exposure on your part. Even if you disregard the visuals (which would rule out the clone part) it plays nothing like WoW. Have you played either of them lately or at all?

You know and i know what the term WOW CLONE means. It is about the context and not the literal meaning of it. Just like how people like to argue around P2W.

Did Rift suddenly change into FPS over the years? nope. It is still a tab targetted MMO with linear questing and carbon copy of WOW's end gear (gated content) treadmill. Just few of the many features made standard by WOW.

Did you play EQ2 at launch? it underway heavy changes after WOW's success. To say Rift modeled itself after EQ2 when EQ2 modeled itself after WOW gives this a whole new level of irony.

You just described every themepark... Guess that means every themepark out there is a WoW clone trololol!

Not every themepark is a WOW clone. ESO is themepark too and so is GW2. 

• ArtaiosArtaios Member UncommonPosts: 550

very poor choices.

very bad games.

• neosparkkneosparkk Member UncommonPosts: 59
    These games are all so old... Nothing left of them but a husk of a hardcore playerbase and business model so unfriendly only an idiot like the one who wrote this click-bait article would call them "free-to-play"...
  • norman728norman728 Member UncommonPosts: 146
    Alas these game bring back Fond Memories.  I played everyone but Alganon (i did read the free Comic)    But ALLODS and RUNES OF MAGIC  are my favorite for different reasons.   Both had That WOW look.   BUT ALLODS was a lot more Difficult. Runes I had more fun. because it a vibrant community both outside and inside.  i do miss the ROM Podcast and RUNES OF MAGIC did have one lasting effect. it introduced me to VAN CANTO an accapella Metal band.
  • daydreamerxxdaydreamerxx Member UncommonPosts: 178

Considering half of these aren't WoW Clones either is also rather pathetic that this "article" even exists. 

A HotKey based MMO is not a WoW Clone. On top of that most of these games actually have more features and Mechanics than wow. 

Honestly this post should be deleted. A Game publication should never call a game a "WoW Clone" it is unprofessional. -10 Credibility. 

• RzepRzep Member UncommonPosts: 767
    What happend with Runes of Magic, sometime ago I remember it being one of the biggest if not thebiggest f2p out there, and then it suddenly disapeared from view.
  • norman728norman728 Member UncommonPosts: 146

I was still playing back then and if i remember correctly Both RUNEWAKER and FRogster interactive started pulling back. and eventually it changed hands to Gameforge. (I left after that)

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

I'm quite amazed that Everquest 1 wasn't listed. I mean it would be a good troll since so many people seem to be obvious to the fact EQ1 is what WoW cloned itself after and they like to toss the term 'wow clone' out at games as if WoW was original.

That said, honestly none of those games I'd consider really 'clone' outside of 4story. Runes of Magic probably would be pushing a close 2nd on it... for me always coming off using WoW and then putting in FF11's class system inside to be a change up... its graphics just came off far to 'oddly' familiar in not just the art direction but also the actual art (the starting zone looking exactly like Elwynn Forest). The other games honestly do their own thing enough to come off at their own, at least the same kind of changes that for me is enough to consider WoW an original game fully off of Everquest 1.

• 43%burnt43%burnt Member UncommonPosts: 162

Radiant Arcana/RoM is quite different from WoW, besides the looks. You can do a whole lot in that game, but fuck me will it cost you if you want to do anything meaningful in a reasonable amount of time. I tried it several times and always got worn out at about 30/30.

Allods is way closer to WoW, but refreshingly less american. The paywall sadly hits pretty early, tho. And I don't know if they ever recovered from that one mass exodus when they implemented death penalties you could only get rid off with shop items (it's gone by now).

Rift up until the 3.0 Expansion would have been my #1 f2p go to WoW clone. But atm it's closer to Facebook wait/grind for years or pay up-games than WoW.

• 43%burnt43%burnt Member UncommonPosts: 162
    Originally posted by norman728

I was still playing back then and if i remember correctly Both RUNEWAKER and FRogster interactive started pulling back. and eventually it changed hands to Gameforge. (I left after that)

Frogster was bought up by Gameforge/MMOForge, and got disbanded a bit later.

• EstrangeEstrange Member Posts: 29
    Did this website call WoW an EQ clone?

You can't depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus. - Mark Twain

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

I will second that. Rift felt very much like a WoW clone, despite of the Rift mechanic.

• NobleNerdNobleNerd Member UncommonPosts: 759

Where is Rift on this list? Seeing they even used the line: "You're not in Azeroth anymore" to promote the game I would think it would have been #1 on the list.

Trion's soul purpose for that game at launch was to take on the giant and they failed like the rest.

• zaberfangxzaberfangx Member UncommonPosts: 1,796
    I wounder what makes a game wow clone to people? I see wow clone all over from people, but what make a game a real wow clone? so many mmo out there that take's the basic on how to make a mmo called a wow clone, when wow is a clone of the same basic parts of making a mmo.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

First of all FFXI is the biggest mmorpg not Wow and secondly,nobody writes off a game because it is a clone or Wow,they write it off because not  many people want to play a new game exactly like Wow but with a different face,it is called being bored of the same old same old.

It really should be no surprise either,it really has nothing to do with Wow,it is like not wanting to wear the same shirt or pants everyday,or eating the same food everyday,we like change.

I am not even sure we can say the TOP OF,more like just say "here we have yet another linear questing game".I don't see how you can have a top of when comes to linear questing,seriously you click a NPC that has a yellow marker over his head,then run the errand rinse and repeat.

What i have actually seen is a Wow clone but done better than WOW in Runes of Magic.it offered the exact same linear questing and some tough dungeons but it offered yet more.It also used or tried to copy the FFXI idea of sub class although did not do it so well but at least it tried to one up Wow and be more than just a linear questing game.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806
    Originally posted by Joejc7135
    Is MMORPG.com owned by Activision Blizzard now? Those game are obviously all EQ clones. This site has been forming shits in my tummy lately.

Yeah Blizzard also own White House.

Quiet about that!! Dear Leader doesn't want anyone to know!! ^^ The phrase "WoW Clone" has been around almost as long as WoW has.  Its typically used by those who either don't know any better, or who have burned out on WoW... ^^

"If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."
  • DeathengerDeathenger Member UncommonPosts: 880
    Wait... what? Alganon? Oh geez I have no words for that game being in this list.

Anyway, as stated above there are so many better choices that the games you decided to use as examples.

Tinfoil Hat* Derek Smart pay you to write this article? Lol