Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt: Offers 16 Free DLCs

2»

Comments

• EladiEladi Member UncommonPosts: 1,145

Yep this is how they make and promote games these days,  build a full game , remove content , give them or /and sell them over the course of a year.

Unfortunate almost all developers marketing teams pull this kinda shit even the smaller Indy game makers.

• AvatarBladeAvatarBlade Member UncommonPosts: 757
    Originally posted by Sovrath
    Originally posted by DeathWolf2u
    Here is the perfect example from a great company how not to be greedy like all the rest.

True though one can argue that if their game wasn't so massively financially successful would they still be inclined to offer free download content.

If I remember correctly, they game Witcher 1 enhanced edition for free to anyone who bought the original Witcher 1 and the franchise wasn't that knows at the time. So they always had this approach twards their customers, even before they were that successful.

• daydreamerxxdaydreamerxx Member UncommonPosts: 178
    The Original Announcement also only listed Xbox not PC

• AnirethAnireth Member UncommonPosts: 940

If they continue working on the game even after it goes gold, they should make actual content, a real expansion, not some outfits etc.

Still, better than charging for it, and better than releasing missions/quests etc. over time, i usually play a game only once - at least until some years later or something -, so i miss out on DLC quests etc. unless i wait two years until they are done releasing stuff..

I'll wait to the day's end when the moon is high
    And then I'll rise with the tide with a lust for life, I'll
    Amass an army, and we'll harness a horde
    And then we'll limp across the land until we stand at the shore

• EstrangeEstrange Member Posts: 29
    People are just dsng sensitive and paranoid. This is an an actual real gaming company that cares about the customers. Save your vile for NC Soft, for instance.

You can't depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus. - Mark Twain

• jacktorsjacktors Member UncommonPosts: 180
    Originally posted by Hyanmen
    A bit funny how there's two free day one DLC's.... I mean, why make it DLC if it comes with the product and is free? Makes no sense.

Did you ever think that the company created the game, had it sent for release and decided to add some more cool content for their fans. But since the game has been already created to disk, the only way for this generous company to give their fans even more, is to add it as FREE downloadable content. 

Geez, some people have to find fault with everything. Go internet!!!

• chakalakachakalaka Member UncommonPosts: 291
    A little sensitive, some of ya. Anyways, it's definitely marketing and although I agree that they could just be put into the game on release but it leads me to believe that they plan on giving the actual game lots of attention these last three months and that the dlc's are either old ideas being brought up or are side projects with less focus right now. Also, although I have been gaming for most of my life I'm starting to like constant flow and updates on any online game I'm playing, for me it's just another reason to log in when maybe I hadn't.
  • killion81killion81 Member UncommonPosts: 995

After reading some of the responses in this thread, I almost feel like they should just charge for it.  If people are going to hate on you no matter what you do, you may as well make some extra money out of it.  What kind of message are you putting out there criticizing a company for giving extra content to their customers at no additional cost because it's "marketing".  It adds value to the purchase, I guess telling people about it falls under marketing, but essentially mentioning anything about the game you spent years creating falls under marketing.

You know the video game industry has gone to shit when people are so used to be screwed over by game developers/publishers that they start telling you why FREE content is bad.

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

If it was EA they would have charged for every single one of them. I bet Dragon Age: Inquisition will have tons of paid for DLC.

And for those who are complaining about this. It is FREE! Wtf are you complaining about?

• nuttobnuttob Member Posts: 291
    Hopefully the Witcher devs won't see this thread.  They might start thinking it's a bad idea to give away stuff for free LOL!
  • XerenixXerenix Member UncommonPosts: 237
    Originally posted by Alders

Patches are now called free DLC?

Do they really believe people can't see this for what it really is?  Do they really think that poorly of their customers?

Pretty soon we'll have monthly DLC and they'll charge a small sum for it.  Perhaps $14.99.

Seems this thread itself answers your question =)

No, people can't see what this really is.

• nuttobnuttob Member Posts: 291
    Originally posted by Xerenix

Do they really believe people can't see this for what it really is?  Do they really think that poorly of their customers?

Pretty soon we'll have monthly DLC and they'll charge a small sum for it.  Perhaps $14.99.

Patches = fixes.  DLC = content.  Unless they actually start charging a weekly fee (which I highly doubt), your point is moot...

• DarkcrystalDarkcrystal Member UncommonPosts: 963
    Originally posted by DeathWolf2u
    Here is the perfect example from a great company how not to be greedy like all the rest.

I really wish some of you  gamers would make a game before commenting like this. You have no idea what it costs and the hard work into it...  I can write the word free and people buy it every time, I love it... Your so easily fooled how it in fact its not free, they take it out  of the game from the first build and call it a DLC and then free so they make it look good. Which is smart, see you even bought it.

I know this because I know the field and business ...

• XerenixXerenix Member UncommonPosts: 237
    Originally posted by nuttob

Patches = fixes.  DLC = content.  Unless they actually start charging a weekly fee (which I highly doubt), your point is moot...

It is not the Patch/DLC thing that i was referring to, it is the fact that the whole 16 free dlc over several weeks is a simple PR stunt to get more sales.

Had it been large content like 1+ hour of extra gameplay then i might be impressed but with small things like armor sets and different hair/beard skins then releasing it seperatly over several weeks is simply just an attempt to gain more popularity.

Had they made a single bundle with armor sets and appearance changes and released it for free then that would be fine but not split it over several weeks simply to get more sales and good PR. Also don't give the bullshit that the content might not be ready as they already know now months before release that they have 16 DLC worth of things to release.

Another thing, just because EA/Ubisoft and other companies does it worse and charge you for things like this doesn't mean that it's not bad thing. Free Content is great but not when used to trick people into thinking a company are doing it for the people when they do it just to get good PR and more sales. Makes you wonder what else they would do to get more sales...

• ArazaleArazale Member Posts: 348

It is not the Patch/DLC thing that i was referring to, it is the fact that the whole 16 free dlc over several weeks is a simple PR stunt to get more sales.

Had it been large content like 1+ hour of extra gameplay then i might be impressed but with small things like armor sets and different hair/beard skins then releasing it seperatly over several weeks is simply just an attempt to gain more popularity.

Had they made a single bundle with armor sets and appearance changes and released it for free then that would be fine but not split it over several weeks simply to get more sales and good PR. Also don't give the bullshit that the content might not be ready as they already know now months before release that they have 16 DLC worth of things to release.

Another thing, just because EA/Ubisoft and other companies does it worse and charge you for things like this doesn't mean that it's not bad thing. Free Content is great but not when used to trick people into thinking a company are doing it for the people when they do it just to get good PR and more sales. Makes you wonder what else they would do to get more sales...

You do realize CDProjekt has always been against DRM and charging for DLC right? They chose an arbitrary number like 16 and put it out that its free. They have never and so long as they dont get bought out by some large corporation like EA, they will never charge for DLC.

All this is is another case of a bunch of people talking about shit they know nothing about. Go ahead, call this a cheap PR move all you want, act a fool and show your ignorance to the world. The rest of us will know that they're making fun of the companies who charge by pulling this "cheap PR trick".

• killion81killion81 Member UncommonPosts: 995

I'm willing to bet that you have never run a business and never will run a business.  That being said, I wish more companies would give away additional free content to "trick" people into buying their games.  Also, since when is it a bad thing to do cool stuff for you customer base as PR?  PR is not a bad thing.  Jaded, stupid people may think so, but it's how the world works.  It's certainly much better than on disc content that you have to pay for that only fits DLC because it's "Disc Locked Content".  They actually had to change the acronym... now THAT'S shitty PR/marketing.

• GilnidorGilnidor Member UncommonPosts: 115

Really nice that they keep working on the game after they sent the release candidate to the factory cd presses.

Really look forward to the release :)

• victimedvictimed Member Posts: 1
    Now now to all the people complaining about the free dlc being part of some evil plot from developers. They aren't. Need proof? how about two previous Wither games that have been given an overhaul after release which provided fixes, balanced (user feedback) as well as extra missions, for an amazing price of 0$.
  • TimesplitTimesplit Member UncommonPosts: 191

Call this a cheap PR move all you want, but i just see this as supporting their game, just like they did with the previous two games. CDPR is just providing what used to be the norm in the industry, instead of charging money for small things like skins or even Horse Armour(Ouch, Bethesda).

Either way, as long as i can save this additional content somewhere, then i can just reinstall it from there later on. That's one thing i love about DRM free games, because you're not restricted by a client like Steam to play it.

• SlyLoKSlyLoK Member RarePosts: 2,698
    Originally posted by Hyanmen
    A bit funny how there's two free day one DLC's.... I mean, why make it DLC if it comes with the product and is free? Makes no sense.

Bingo. I also do not doubt that the other DLC are already complete too. How else would they release more every week? Seems more like a marketing ploy than anything.