Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] World of Warcraft: The Top 5 Free-to-Play WoW Clones

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

The term “WoW Clone” gets thrown around a lot these days. While it may not really be fair to claim that any game should be labeled a clone of another game, it is the reality that we live in. World of Warcraft is, by far, the biggest and most popular MMORPG in the world and as the old saying goes, “If you can’t beat ‘em, copy ‘em,” or something like that.

Read more of David Jagneaux's The List: The Top 5 Free-to-Play WoW Clones.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

Seriously David, there is nothing free about any of those games you listed.  All require item shop purchases.  Sure you can avoid the item shop if you so desire, but that disallows you from a significant portion of the game.

Basically most of these games require you to gamble as you have to buy chance boxes to advance play.

• OhhPaigeyOhhPaigey Member RarePosts: 1,517
    Do people still play Runes of Magic?
    When all is said and done, more is always said than done.
  • OziiusOziius Member UncommonPosts: 1,406
    Originally posted by Ozmodan

Seriously David, there is nothing free about any of those games you listed.  All require item shop purchases.  Sure you can avoid the item shop if you so desire, but that disallows you from a significant portion of the game.

Basically most of these games require you to gamble as you have to buy chance boxes to advance play.

I've played two of five of those games (Allods and RoM) on and off for a few years.  Had a lot of fun, never spent a dime. Now I'll admit, I'm a pretty casual player. I suppose if you're a hardcore content locust type player, it will be a different experience, but I can only comment on mine. 

• KabulozoKabulozo Member RarePosts: 932
    Where is Aion? Aion is not only the second best WoW clone so far but also still makes more money than all those games combined(the 1st is TERA).
  • PiscorePiscore Member UncommonPosts: 263

Rift is the best F2P clone of WoW

True Story.

l2p

• MensurMensur Member EpicPosts: 1,512
    i agreed on that one...but for me tehy are not free to play at all..as the cash shop is pretty much and advancment you get from it = a p2p sub fee. 

mmorpg junkie since 1999

• CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    Originally posted by Piscore

True Story.

Truth. Plus, it's a great F2P model. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• jdizzle2k13jdizzle2k13 Member UncommonPosts: 251
    Originally posted by CrazKanuk
    Originally posted by Piscore

True Story.

Truth. Plus, it's a great F2P model. 

I know it wasn't originally free to play, but to not even have it on this list as one of the top free to play WoW clones seems rather silly to me.

• bobfishbobfish Member UncommonPosts: 1,679

Interesting choice of games.

Forsaken World - Chinese

4Story - Korean

Alganon - American

Allods Online - Russian

Runes of Magic - Taiwanese

I can't think of why these games were chosen over some of the others. Four of them were made from the beginning to be free to play (Alganon wasn't), four of them were made to compete with WoW (4Story wasn't), four of them are heavy PvP focuses (Alganon isn't)...

Whatever, if you want to play WoW, play WoW. If you don't want to pay for it, doesn't matter what themepark MMO you pick, they're all pretty average.

• MitaraMitara Member UncommonPosts: 755
    Rift is definitely the best quality WoW clone. Why is it not on the list? Have they closed the Rift?
  • meonthissitemeonthissite Member UncommonPosts: 917
    Originally posted by Mitara
    Rift is definitely the best quality WoW clone. Why is it not on the list? Have they closed the Rift?

SWTOR is actually a WoW clone as well but it's nowhere on the list although it does share some of the things that these games require like an actual pay to play design rather than free to play. 

Ahh the lack of honesty in the media continues.

• CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130

Too innovative maybe? To be fair, they did have some cool features and deep talent trees. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,363
    those games are everything but free 2 play
  • ThestrainThestrain Member CommonPosts: 390
    Originally posted by Torvaldr

Too innovative maybe? To be fair, they did have some cool features and deep talent trees. 

Because it's not a WoW clone. The closest thing it could be paired to might be EQ2, but it's not really a clone. People are confusing "clone" with standard themepark. Those games are nearly clones in both appearance, gameplay, and feel. Rift has some similar systems (Auction House and Crafting), but it neither looks or plays like WoW. Rift also has some systems that are nothing like WoW systems (class building, artifact hunting, dimensions). Aion and especially TERA don't even look or play like WoW.

Themepark doesn't equal WoW Clone. A clone is an identical. The games on that list fit. The other games in the comments, not so much.

There we go again... arguing about literal meaning of WOW CLONE. Typical. A MMO doesn't have to to be similar in 'looks' alone to be considered a wow clone.

Rift was a blatant rip off of WOW if you didn't know that then i blame it on willful ignorance.

• Joejc7135Joejc7135 Member UncommonPosts: 214
    Is MMORPG.com owned by Activision Blizzard now? Those game are obviously all EQ clones. This site has been forming shits in my tummy lately.
    Originally posted by Joejc7135
    Is MMORPG.com owned by Activision Blizzard now? Those game are obviously all EQ clones. This site has been forming shits in my tummy lately.

Yeah Blizzard also own White House.

Originally posted by Thestrain

Because it's not a WoW clone. The closest thing it could be paired to might be EQ2, but it's not really a clone. People are confusing "clone" with standard themepark. Those games are nearly clones in both appearance, gameplay, and feel. Rift has some similar systems (Auction House and Crafting), but it neither looks or plays like WoW. Rift also has some systems that are nothing like WoW systems (class building, artifact hunting, dimensions). Aion and especially TERA don't even look or play like WoW.

Themepark doesn't equal WoW Clone. A clone is an identical. The games on that list fit. The other games in the comments, not so much.

There we go again... arguing about literal meaning of WOW CLONE. Typical. A MMO doesn't have to to be similar in 'looks' alone to be considered a wow clone.

Rift was a blatant rip off of WOW if you didn't know that then i blame it on willful ignorance.

The word clone does mean something. If you don't get that it is much closer to EQ2 in many ways then maybe that's just lack of experience or exposure on your part. Even if you disregard the visuals (which would rule out the clone part) it plays nothing like WoW. Have you played either of them lately or at all?

You know and i know what the term WOW CLONE means. It is about the context and not the literal meaning of it. Just like how people like to argue around P2W.

Did Rift suddenly change into FPS over the years? nope. It is still a tab targetted MMO with linear questing and carbon copy of WOW's end gear (gated content) treadmill. Just few of the many features made standard by WOW.

Did you play EQ2 at launch? it underway heavy changes after WOW's success. To say Rift modeled itself after EQ2 when EQ2 modeled itself after WOW gives this a whole new level of irony.

• jdizzle2k13jdizzle2k13 Member UncommonPosts: 251
    Originally posted by Thestrain

The word clone does mean something. If you don't get that it is much closer to EQ2 in many ways then maybe that's just lack of experience or exposure on your part. Even if you disregard the visuals (which would rule out the clone part) it plays nothing like WoW. Have you played either of them lately or at all?

While I would hesitate to call it a "blatant rip off" of WoW, I did feel, while playing Rift, that it was somewhat similar in its combat design.

I never played EQ2, though, so forgive me for not having the MMO experience some others may have.  But to me, Rift felt a lot like WoW in the way that it played.

Now granted, the talent tree system was different enough that different builds could have vastly different abilities, and even with the same souls two players could have completely different specialization focuses.

Still, it felt like WoW to me, even though it wasn't an exact copy.

I did appreciate what they did with Rifts.  I think more games should implement dynamic PvE content in that way.

• gunmanvladgunmanvlad Member UncommonPosts: 281

Ehem, people aren't reading the title..."f2p WoW CLONES". If you look at the games on top, they're virtually copy-pasted games in terms of visuals, concept, UI, everything!

The question is rather, WHY would anyone play these?

Indeed, a list for WoW-like MMOs (themepark with similar combat system and strong PvE focus) would include:

1). Rift

2). SWTOR (not fantasy tho...)

3). Aion (sort of?)

etc.

TERA has nothing to do with WoW other than being a fantasy MMORPG, sorry folks.

• ThwaiteThwaite Member UncommonPosts: 83
    Never have and never will play these clones
  • ThwaiteThwaite Member UncommonPosts: 83
    Never have and never will play these clones!
  • DashiDMVDashiDMV Member Posts: 362
    Wasn't Allods just a upjumped way for the Russian Mafia to launder their money? I know they did that with a few Aeria titles as well.
  • ArthasmArthasm Member UncommonPosts: 785
    Sadly, I don't have enough money to enjoy those games. You can play tho, but there is no fun until you cash out $$$$$. I'm only sad for Allods, that game could be hit next to Wow if they went p2p.
  • KarontenoKamiiKarontenoKamii Member UncommonPosts: 25
    Aion is more of a mu Clone
  • KarontenoKamiiKarontenoKamii Member UncommonPosts: 25
    Originally posted by Prenho3
    Where is Aion? Aion is not only the second best WoW clone so far but also still makes more money than all those games combined(the 1st is TERA).

Aion is a mu clone 

same with cabal