Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] Guild Wars 2: Why Echoes of the Past is Important

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Players have had a long wait for a content update for Guild Wars 2, but the wait is finally over.  This long wait is just one of several reasons players feel unsure about the games future.  While season 2 of the Living World has made serious improvements, it’s also plagued with it’s own faults.  Still, it has helped to keep your hopes up, at least a little bit.  Echoes of the Past has been live now for nearly a week, and it seems that hope can grow a bit more.

Read more of David North's Guild Wars 2: Why Echoes of the Past is Important.

The Tengu use to be seen all over Tyria. Now new players can learn what happened to this once proud race.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• BeelzebobbieBeelzebobbie Member UncommonPosts: 430
    Love the game, love living story but it still needs an expansion fast otherwise the game will die.
  • botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    B2P games don't die like P2P games. You can come and go as you like. People have said this game was dying for 2.5 yrs already. If it hasn't died in that time, it won't die for a long time.

• UgUgUgUgUgUg Member UncommonPosts: 81
    Originally posted by botrytis
    B2P games don't die like P2P games. You can come and go as you like. People have said this game was dying for 2.5 yrs already. If it hasn't died in that time, it won't die for a long time.

It will fade into mediocrity  quite fast though.

• kp695304kp695304 Member UncommonPosts: 26
    Great thing about GW2 is you can move onto something else for a few months then come back and pick up where you left off. Ill probably even finish that legendary weapon sometime in the next decade.
  • RazeeksterRazeekster Member UncommonPosts: 2,591
    One of the huge things I actually hate about GW2 is that the charr race is playable. I'm from GW1 and the charr were basically the evil ruthless-killing machines in GW1 so it's just a whole lof of disconnect to suddenly see them as a playable race that is allied to the humans. GW2 just doesn't feel like a Guild Wars game to me (not to mention there are still no Guild Halls lol).

Smile

• sketocafesketocafe Member UncommonPosts: 950

"Guild Wars 2 is a sequel," that'd be nice if it actually was, but it's really not and a continuity in lore isn't the place that needs work if you want this to be a Guild Wars game.

• ButeoRegalisButeoRegalis Member UncommonPosts: 594

"If a development team can’t even produce decent free content, how can it be expected of them to create paid content that’s worth the cash?"

Huh? This makes no sense. Shoddy free content doesn't preclude good paid content, because there is money connected to it. Money means more resources to make better, however you define that, content.

The opposite would more likely be true, if they couldn't produce good paid content, why would you expect them to produce good free content.

And anybody who hasn't picked up on the animosity between Humans and Charr probably couldn't be helped even if you made them play through the Searing in Prophecies.

• ZeroxinZeroxin Member UncommonPosts: 2,515
    Originally posted by sketocafe

"Guild Wars 2 is a sequel," that'd be nice if it actually was, but it's really not and a continuity in lore isn't the place that needs work if you want this to be a Guild Wars game.

I think what you should've said is; "... and a continuity in lore isn't the only place that needs work if you want this to be a Guild Wars game."

This is not a game.

• NasaNasa Member UncommonPosts: 739

I don't get why some are so obsessed with expansion and that the game will be doomed without one. Clearly Arenanet have chosen another path to keep the game alive, and has proven to have worked despite what some have claimed.

The game is still very much alive. Today in my guild there where just as many online as 1 year ago and there even more players in the lower level area I was playing today.  Yes, megaserver helps.

Be prepared that they wont make any expasion ever and still some years before it dies.

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    Th game certainly is not doomed without one , but as a big fan I would dearly love for the world and skills to be extended :)

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• DestaiDestai Member Posts: 574
    Originally posted by Nasa

I don't get why some are so obsessed with expansion and that the game will be doomed without one. Clearly Arenanet have chosen another path to keep the game alive, and has proven to have worked despite what some have claimed.

The game is still very much alive. Today in my guild there where just as many online as 1 year ago and there even more players in the lower level area I was playing today.  Yes, megaserver helps.

Be prepared that they wont make any expasion ever and still some years before it dies.

What do you gain from there not being one? Nearly every MMO releases one, it's the expectation of the market.

• NasaNasa Member UncommonPosts: 739
    Originally posted by Destai

What do you gain from there not being one? Nearly every MMO releases one, it's the expectation of the market.

What would Arenanet gain by releasing an expansion compared to living story?

1. More money earned compared to invested dollars?

2. Keep the game fresh and alive?

Remember those that only return for expansion will soon leave again. And most likely not use the cash shop.

I think living story is the best way of the two at keeping the game alive.

In short: expansion is waste of time compared to living story.

Originally posted by Destai

What would Arenanet gain by releasing an expansion compared to living story?

1. More money earned compared to invested dollars?

2. Keep the game fresh and alive?

Remember those that only return for expansion will soon leave again. And most likely not use the cash shop.

I think living story is the best way of the two at keeping the game alive.

In short: expansion is waste of time compared to living story.

Well, I hope the additions are working out for you. Like backpacks! And...gem sales. Meanwhile, other games are releasing new continents, races, and quests. ArenaNet has two things to gain from selling something, profit and respect. They're already paying devs to work. They're already hiring more people. Why not do something worthwhile?

• AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,838

Season 1 was terrible. The earlier episodes of Season 2 were good, but hardly breathtaking. 

Echoes of the Past, on the other hand, is a fantastic patch - easily the best one thus far.

The new story chapter has done quite a lot not just for continuity, but also for moving the story forward as well. It represents not only an acknowledgment of the veteran GW playerbase, but also (by necessity) an obligation to push these lore connections forward and please said playerbase in some fashion.

The new skins are some of the best in the game. Especially that heavy Carapace set. 

The replayable nature of Season 2 story chapters is a large positive for the game - adding quite a few hours to a player's experience and introducing some variety and extra achievement challenge.

The new map is simply fantastic. It represents the best of both PvE and WvW, such that it puts both to shame. Its small size is representative of what PvE maps always should have been - for this map size holds up better to expanding the world without spreading the playerbase thin. Its lack of waypoints encourages exploration and cooperation. Its experimental approach to loot through events is a much needed improvement to the game's loot system. It brings a sense of challenge that has been largely missing in PvE content.

I've been on the fence about Guild Wars 2 - and I still am. I believe, however, that if this patch is at all representative of the future of the game, that future may be brighter than I originally thought.

Originally posted by Aeander

Season 1 was terrible. The earlier episodes of Season 2 were good, but hardly breathtaking. 

Echoes of the Past, on the other hand, is a fantastic patch - easily the best one thus far.

The new story chapter has done quite a lot not just for continuity, but also for moving the story forward as well. It represents not only an acknowledgment of the veteran GW playerbase, but also (by necessity) an obligation to push these lore connections forward and please said playerbase in some fashion.

The new skins are some of the best in the game. Especially that heavy Carapace set. 

The replayable nature of Season 2 story chapters is a large positive for the game - adding quite a few hours to a player's experience and introducing some variety and extra achievement challenge.

The new map is simply fantastic. It represents the best of both PvE and WvW, such that it puts both to shame. Its small size is representative of what PvE maps always should have been - for this map size holds up better to expanding the world without spreading the playerbase thin. Its lack of waypoints encourages exploration and cooperation. Its experimental approach to loot through events is a much needed improvement to the game's loot system. It brings a sense of challenge that has been largely missing in PvE content.

I've been on the fence about Guild Wars 2 - and I still am. I believe, however, that if this patch is at all representative of the future of the game, that future may be brighter than I originally thought.

This is good to hear. I'm redownloading to see for myself. 

• kjempffkjempff Member RarePosts: 1,759

Does anyone care about the story? About lore ? Yes some do, but I mean the general player. If the the living story patches were accompagnied by some core changes..improvements, I think I would care a little about story, but to me it is just small bits of the same with a bit of story and new currencies or cash shop features.

One thing gw2 has going for it though, is that it is actually more or less free once you paid the box price, and that WILL make players come back. Also there is a psycological effect of having paid for the box, that plays a role... It is just more real than a f2pay.

If only gw2 could change.. Like WoW or even EQ has changed to almost completely different games over the years of patches and expnsions.. It is not impossible, they only have to realise it.. Then living story would start to become interesting because the game would matter.

• moldrathmoldrath Member UncommonPosts: 17
    The main disconnect I had was with the lack of skills. I loved GW1 because there were so many skills, yet you could only choose 5. It was constantly like a new game trying different strategies. I love GW2 and I have played it solid since beta but I am wanting more of that strategy back.

• AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,838
    Originally posted by moldrath
    The main disconnect I had was with the lack of skills. I loved GW1 because there were so many skills, yet you could only choose 5. It was constantly like a new game trying different strategies. I love GW2 and I have played it solid since beta but I am wanting more of that strategy back.

This is the real heart of why GW1 was the better game.

(But you could choose 8 skills in Guild Wars 1).

• goemoegoemoe Member UncommonPosts: 272
    Sady, hope for GW2 is dead and buried for long now. They only care about its shop and the asian market. Tiny bits of content now and then change nothing. GW2 shows brightly F2P/B2P is the wrong way to go, especially if the developer does not care for the western market.
  • akuma696akuma696 Member UncommonPosts: 55
    I enjoyed the lore, but before the patch was released was busy wikking and googling a lot of the past lore of gw1 and watched the ending clip of gw1 was interesting and raised lots of questions which kinda brings hope to what is to come in gw2. (And can see why lots of gw1 players are frustrated due to the many answers unanswered)
  • narg1narg1 Member UncommonPosts: 29
    Originally posted by Razeekster
    One of the huge things I actually hate about GW2 is that the charr race is playable. I'm from GW1 and the charr were basically the evil ruthless-killing machines in GW1 so it's just a whole lof of disconnect to suddenly see them as a playable race that is allied to the humans. GW2 just doesn't feel like a Guild Wars game to me (not to mention there are still no Guild Halls lol).

clash of this two races are still important to lore in gw2, you have human separatist, charr flame legion, and it was elder dragons, what force to unite all races in Tyria. You can learn a lot playing thru My story line, why, or what happens what happens, lots of characters from world sacrifices many to keep this community together, founder of Vigil sacrifices her own son, to keep peace etc. I think charr and humans work pretty well..

anyway, actuall LS is pretty amazing, Glint lair, music there and new map for fun (and dragon for christmass, maybe..)

btw in lunch of gw2 arena net said, that cuz they use LS system to add new content, there will be no regular datadisc, never.

I am not saying the game is dead, I love the game and I have nothing else to do in this game, there are no new dungeons, classes, weapons and so on. The living story part is through in a day and then there is just another grind. I have about 2000 hours in the game and I think it's the best mmo I have ever played but now there is nothing to look forward to. 

I love the living story but if you look at the content it has updated on a permanent basis over 2-3 years it's like noting at all.

I would love to pay for an expansion with new stuff without it what am I supposed to do, all dungeons done like a hundred times, wvw alot and spvp aswell crafting maxed out, I lvl 80 of every char.

When all is done, what is left? farm gold? more legendarys? doing dungeons to get 1 gold? I just don't know what to do thats why I need an expansion insteed of just living story.

I am not saying that this game will be dead within a year or anything like that and I am not a doomsday kind of guy but for me the game will be dead and that's the part that sucks.

• PaRoXiTiCPaRoXiTiC Member UncommonPosts: 603
    Originally posted by Beelzebobbie

I am not saying the game is dead, I love the game and I have nothing else to do in this game, there are no new dungeons, classes, weapons and so on. The living story part is through in a day and then there is just another grind. I have about 2000 hours in the game and I think it's the best mmo I have ever played but now there is nothing to look forward to. 

I love the living story but if you look at the content it has updated on a permanent basis over 2-3 years it's like noting at all.

I would love to pay for an expansion with new stuff without it what am I supposed to do, all dungeons done like a hundred times, wvw alot and spvp aswell crafting maxed out, I lvl 80 of every char.

When all is done, what is left? farm gold? more legendarys? doing dungeons to get 1 gold? I just don't know what to do thats why I need an expansion insteed of just living story.

I am not saying that this game will be dead within a year or anything like that and I am not a doomsday kind of guy but for me the game will be dead and that's the part that sucks.

That is what PvP and WvWvW are for. If you have conquered the entire game than good for you, you got your $60 worth of entertainment and then some. You're expectations are way to high. At the point you are at you either PvP and try to become the best or you go find a new game so you can conquer the meaningless content of a video game.

Originally posted by PaRoXiTiC

That is what PvP and WvWvW are for. If you have conquered the entire game than good for you, you got your $60 worth of entertainment and then some. You're expectations are way to high. At the point you are at you either PvP and try to become the best or you go find a new game so you can conquer the meaningless content of a video game.

But I don't want a new game thats the problem, there is no mmo out there that I want to try at all.

• PaRoXiTiCPaRoXiTiC Member UncommonPosts: 603
    Originally posted by PaRoXiTiC

But I don't want a new game thats the problem, there is no mmo out there that I want to try at all.

I would suggest you seek out a real WvWvW guild that takes the war serious. I've had a ton of fun doing that and joining teamspeak. A lot depends on your server too. I'm on Fort Aspenwood and we have many many guilds in the same teamspeak all working together to try to win.