Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Citizen Crowdfunding Milestones Discussion

AmanaAmana Moderator UncommonPosts: 3,912

Instead of a new thread each time a new million mark milestone is reached in Star Citizen's crowdfunding total, please discuss new milestones in this stickied thread. 

Star Citizen stretch goals page: https://robertsspaceindustries.com/funding-goals

To give feedback on moderation, contact [email protected]

Comments

• ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,297

Good idea.

What i would WISH as a milestone is not a ship but some kind of pirate haven. The "Tortuga" of Star Citizen. A point where i can unload my ill gained loot, where i can insure my alien fighters captured with stealth and blood, where i can trade for exotic alien weaponry from "the unknown regions" or stolen experimental prototypes. Where i can buy clearance and custom codes from information brokers that have the corrupt security forces of whole systems in their pockets. Where i can hold my hostages until their companies pay me a "reasonable" amount of cash for the "hospitality" that i have shown their execs and celebrities. Where i can mod my runner ships with sensor baffled smuggling compartements. Where i can hire saboteurs to fix the next Murray Cup race. Or a hitman to send personalized "greetings" to an enemy.

Like this or more:

http://starcitizen.wikia.com/wiki/Spider

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/12962-Visiting-Spider-amp-300i-Shots

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/13852-Galactic-Guide-Pyro

If its not already in there: player housing !  Like in SWG if possible. At least like its in SWTOR. I know that one can tinker around with the hangar, decorating it. I even have a cot to sleep on in my hangar. However, i would prefer to have a TRUE housing system .... Lord of the Ring comes to mind, where I can even see my house (also) from the outside and decorate the garden. Different styles for player housing, depending on the planet, its economic prosperity and its security rating. A place where i can place trophies for bragging rights.Small wonders have been created by creative people in SWG. Parties that stay in mind for decades have happened in such places (SWG Cantina Crawls anyone ?!).

No to limiting the housing to major cities and systems ... pirates in the lawless regions will want their hives of scum and villainy too.

Knowing EVE Online, i strongly suggest NOT to offer player housing in conquerable stations ... that opens up a BIG can of worms !

Have fun

• DocBrodyDocBrody Member UncommonPosts: 1,926

wow, looks like they are going to hit 61 million $ tomorrow. Meter is already at 97%

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/funding-goals

the latest Arena Commander patch was awesome, nothing but praises for the improved aim and targeting systems

61 M$ milestone has been reached. :-)   61,034,807 $   from 645,948  backers  at the moment of writing.

It unlocks the boarding craft

"Espera Prowler – Named after the UPE military designation, the Prowler is a modernized version of the infamous Tevarin boarding craft from the First Tevarin War. With the recent discovery of the lost Tevarin planet in Kabal System, Espera’s engineers were given unmitigated access to examine the preserved ships found in several of the caches, before meticulously recreating the design choices. The Prowler’s effectiveness as a rapid personnel deployment vehicle was mainly due to its silence. The boarding was constructed using a variety of techniques to minimize its signatures and get close to unsuspecting vessels before quickly deploying their boarders via EVA. With the updated Prowler model, you will find the perfect fusion of two culture: the elegance and effectiveness of the Tevarin war machine combined with the reliability of modern UEE technology. (While lacking some of the upgrades of the modern version, vintage Tevarin-built Prowlers restored for modern spaceflight are prized by owners lucky enough to locate them.)"

Have fun

Originally posted by Erillion

61 M$ milestone has been reached. :-)   61,034,807 $   from 645,948  backers  at the moment of writing.

It unlocks the boarding craft

"Espera Prowler – Named after the UPE military designation, the Prowler is a modernized version of the infamous Tevarin boarding craft from the First Tevarin War. With the recent discovery of the lost Tevarin planet in Kabal System, Espera’s engineers were given unmitigated access to examine the preserved ships found in several of the caches, before meticulously recreating the design choices. The Prowler’s effectiveness as a rapid personnel deployment vehicle was mainly due to its silence. The boarding was constructed using a variety of techniques to minimize its signatures and get close to unsuspecting vessels before quickly deploying their boarders via EVA. With the updated Prowler model, you will find the perfect fusion of two culture: the elegance and effectiveness of the Tevarin war machine combined with the reliability of modern UEE technology. (While lacking some of the upgrades of the modern version, vintage Tevarin-built Prowlers restored for modern spaceflight are prized by owners lucky enough to locate them.)"

Have fun

time for a chairman letter.

Glad we´re getting the Passenger Liner, about time some public transportation vessels are getting into the game

• JohnxboyJohnxboy Member UncommonPosts: 104
    That first part sounds fucking awesome, how are you not making a game yet?

Good idea.

What i would WISH as a milestone is not a ship but some kind of pirate haven. The "Tortuga" of Star Citizen. A point where i can unload my ill gained loot, where i can insure my alien fighters captured with stealth and blood, where i can trade for exotic alien weaponry from "the unknown regions" or stolen experimental prototypes. Where i can buy clearance and custom codes from information brokers that have the corrupt security forces of whole systems in their pockets. Where i can hold my hostages until their companies pay me a "reasonable" amount of cash for the "hospitality" that i have shown their execs and celebrities. Where i can mod my runner ships with sensor baffled smuggling compartements. Where i can hire saboteurs to fix the next Murray Cup race. Or a hitman to send personalized "greetings" to an enemy.

Like this or more:

http://starcitizen.wikia.com/wiki/Spider

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/12962-Visiting-Spider-amp-300i-Shots

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/13852-Galactic-Guide-Pyro

there will be pirate insurance companies, that has been confirmed, but they might be a lot more "shady" than the non-criminal UEE businesses

Pretty sure there will be lots of piratey stations in the lawless sectors

• ElsaboltsElsabolts Member RarePosts: 3,476
    I would like to see alittle more game and a little less pledgeing?
    " Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Those Who  Would Threaten It "
                                            MAGA
    Originally posted by Elsabolts

They have already shown more "game" than any other space sim knock off.

So far we have Arena Commander arena PVP and PVE and we get the FPS module in January or February.

We have seen FPS working.

We have seen the persistent universe working.

We have seen planetary landing and walking around working.

We have seen multicrew ships working.

We have seen avatars working.

We have seen racing working.

We have seen NPC characters working with AI.

We have seen ship outfitting working.

And a bunch of other stuff I´m too lazy to list.

Can´t wait until it reaches 100 million $ of pledges, the console-only fans, publisher agents and other game advertisers who don´t want to see SC succeed will probably implode with rage.

• hfztthfztt Member RarePosts: 1,401
    Originally posted by DocBrody 

Can´t wait until it reaches 100 million $ of pledges, the console-only fans, publisher agents and other game advertisers who don´t want to see SC succeed will probably implode with rage.

After the project started subcontracting other development studios, there is no real basis for saying that this is being produced without a publisher. RSI is a de facto publisher on this.

So I think other publishers actually want it to succed, as thus the door would be open for other publishers to copy the concept.

Originally posted by hfztt

After the project started subcontracting other development studios, there is no real basis for saying that this is being produced without a publisher. RSI is a de facto publisher on this.

So I think other publishers actually want it to succed, as thus the door would be open for other publishers to copy the concept.

who could possibly copy the concept, Transverse tried and failed with only 9000 $ sourced in a month.

In the same time SC got like 2 million $ more.

Only EA could do it with a Star Wars license, none other could succeed with any reasonable number of sales/subs.

I´d play a Star Wars space sim MMO based on X-Wing vs Tie but anything else is really not interesting. Who knows maybe they have something like this in the works. Until then SC will long be released and growing in popularity.

• CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130

who could possibly copy the concept, Transverse tried and failed with only 9000 $ sourced in a month.

Only EA could do it with a Star Wars license, none other could succeed with any reasonable number of sales/subs.

I´d play a Star Wars space sim MMO based on X-Wing vs Tie but anything else is really not interesting. Who knows maybe they have something like this in the works. Until then SC will long be released and growing in popularity.

I agree. Star Citizen is something that nobody should take at face value. It doesn't mean that crowd-funding is the wave of the future, it doesn't mean that space flight sims aren't dead. What it means is there is a metric ton of people in the 30-50 crowd with a metric ton of money who are willing to invest in a publisher based solely on nostalgia. We wanted this with Freelancer, but didn't get it because they cut funding for it, so it's a way of letting someone create their vision, one that you've, basically, always been waiting for. 

gunklacker

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

Originally posted by CrazKanuk

I agree. Star Citizen is something that nobody should take at face value. It doesn't mean that crowd-funding is the wave of the future, it doesn't mean that space flight sims aren't dead. What it means is there is a metric ton of people in the 30-50 crowd with a metric ton of money who are willing to invest in a publisher based solely on nostalgia. We wanted this with Freelancer, but didn't get it because they cut funding for it, so it's a way of letting someone create their vision, one that you've, basically, always been waiting for. 

knowing EA I´m convinced something similiar to Star Citizen set in the Star Wars universe is already in the works or at least planned. That could be pretty cool if they are going to pump in 300 million $ because that´s what they need to spend with the publisher model plus feeding their usual marketing channels.

Or they should just revamp Star Wars Galaxies and put more emphasize on the space sim part. But a true Star Wars Galaxies 2 could be serious competition for Star Citizen. Don´t see anything else on the horizon which could come close to be a competitor for SC.

• Agent_JosephAgent_Joseph Member UncommonPosts: 1,361

So far we have Arena Commander arena PVP and PVE and we get the FPS module in January or February.

Originally posted by Agent_Joseph

http://youtu.be/hgyXzYITO3g

he heh hehe that´s epic, didn´t know that video

awesome

• asdarasdar Member UncommonPosts: 662

Originally posted by DocBrody  Can´t wait until it reaches 100 million $ of pledges, the console-only fans, publisher agents and other game advertisers who don´t want to see SC succeed will probably implode with rage.

I think the reason people say it's being produced without a publisher is because production without a publisher means that RSI makes their own choices, and that much is still true as far as I know.

It's no different than just hiring the programmers, probably better as each group will have their own existing structures without extra work.

The important part of the statement is about control of the project and the same person that started the project still has total control both of the vision and the money.

Asdar

• CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    Originally posted by CrazKanuk

knowing EA I´m convinced something similiar to Star Citizen set in the Star Wars universe is already in the works or at least planned. That could be pretty cool if they are going to pump in 300 million $ because that´s what they need to spend with the publisher model plus feeding their usual marketing channels.

Or they should just revamp Star Wars Galaxies and put more emphasize on the space sim part. But a true Star Wars Galaxies 2 could be serious competition for Star Citizen. Don´t see anything else on the horizon which could come close to be a competitor for SC.

I can tell you definitively, being that I spend a large portion of my life on X-wing vs Tie Fighter & MSN Game Zone, that I would spend $100 or more on a new, updated XvT game. If you can put that into a SWG wrapper, great! However, I almost wouldn't want you to. Just give me a killer lobby game with a badass campaign and super-smooth multiplayer and I'll be happy.

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

SWG 2 sandbox (pre-NGE) without the initial hickups ... pretty pretty pulleeezzzzeee.....

Have fun

Originally posted by Johnxboy
    That first part sounds fucking awesome, how are you not making a game yet?

More information about the ongoing development than you can shake a stick at:

http://starcitizen.mojoworld.com/StarMap/

http://starcitizen.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page

So .. in short ... for a non-feature-complete pre-alpha phase there is a lot of game to play already (see the links that have already been posted). We have seen even more in actual gameplay demos.  Then even more in Trailers. And then some in panels and Q&A sessions (see links above). More information than you will EVER hear about any Triple-A game in development - IF you want to know.

And if you had a chance to meet in person the team doing SC at any big game convention (e.g. Gamescon 2014) you may have experienced the "glow", the inner fire in a team that WANTS to deliver the very best - as much as every fan and then some.

Personally I recommend Star Citizen (and in addition to that : Elite:Dangerous and EVE Online .. to spend time until SC launch)

Have fun

• hfztthfztt Member RarePosts: 1,401
    That could be pretty cool if they are going to pump in 300 million $ because that´s what they need to spend with the publisher model plus feeding their usual marketing channels.

Where do you pull that number from? SC have the same expenses as normal publishers do at this point. The sub-contracted studios are not doing this as charity, I promise you that.

Had it been a purely inhouse project, yeah, then the claim that all money goes into development might have been true, but the subcontractors are not idealists, they are buisnesses. Profits are being made.

That could be pretty cool if they are going to pump in 300 million $ because that´s what they need to spend with the publisher model plus feeding their usual marketing channels.

Where do you pull that number from? SC have the same expenses as normal publishers do at this point. The sub-contracted studios are not doing this as charity, I promise you that.

Had it been a purely inhouse project, yeah, then the claim that all money goes into development might have been true, but the subcontractors are not idealists, they are buisnesses. Profits are being made.

The number is of course only an estimate, if you look at the rumored budgets of Destiny (500 million) it turned out the game had not even a fraction of that as actual game development budget. Same goes for SWTOR (rumored 300 million) and probably for GTAV as well.

So with the publisher model obviously more than half goes into marketing and publisher expenses. I expect SC budget will go up to 100 million before launch, if EA would want to remake SC with a "Star Wars skin", they´d also have to add the liscensing fees so it could easily end up costing 250-300 million $

The number is of course only an estimate, if you look at the rumored budgets of Destiny (500 million) it turned out the game had not even a fraction of that as actual game development budget. Same goes for SWTOR (rumored 300 million) and probably for GTAV as well.

So with the publisher model obviously more than half goes into marketing and publisher expenses. I expect SC budget will go up to 100 million before launch, if EA would want to remake SC with a "Star Wars skin", they´d also have to add the liscensing fees so it could easily end up costing 250-300 million $

http://www.vg247.com/2014/06/30/destiny-ps4-ps3-xbox-360-one-bungie-budget-nowhere-near-500-million/

The 500 M$ was an exaggeration, although one that was stated by Activision CEO Bobby Kotick himself (see above).

The 300 M$ for SWTOR may also be a bit too high - more like 200ish M$.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Wars:_The_Old_Republic

Quote: "Although BioWare has not disclosed development costs, industry leaders and financial analysts have estimated it to be between $150 million and $200 million or more, making it, at the time, the most expensive video game ever made.The position was later taken over by Grand Theft Auto V, with an estimated cost of $265 million."

Have fun

PS:

Status Update .... SC .... 61,338,210 $  from 647,910 Star Citizens. ....

And contrary to some poster opinions here ... that money coming lately was NOT from any big time ship sale events ... that was just normal growth from an ever increasing number of  backers ... a growth that has happened since the beginning of the project. And i am quite certain this growth is NOT coming from a few whales starting their 18th alt account.

• rpmcmurphyrpmcmurphy Member EpicPosts: 3,502

Status Update .... SC .... 61,338,210 $  from 647,910 Star Citizens. ....

And contrary to some poster opinions here ... that money coming lately was NOT from any big time ship sale events ... that was just normal growth from an ever increasing number of  backers ... a growth that has happened since the beginning of the project. And i am quite certain this growth is NOT coming from a few whales starting their 18th alt account.

I could be wrong but the recent push seems to coincide with the Redeemer having its stats altered in quite a beneficial way, until that happened there had been a lot of complaints amongst the community which was no doubt holding people off from buying.

It seems disingenious to claim the increase in funding is purely from new backers unless there's a way to back it up.

Edit: Over the last week there has been $962,857 raised, 6985 new registered forum accounts. That would mean each and every forum registration over the last week is a guaranteed backer and they have each spent $137. I don't think so....

From last Thursday to today there was ~$715,000 raised, or 2698 Redeemers sold to 0.4% of backers.

The latter is far more probable than the former.

Lemme see 137 $ ....

typical ship package 80 $ (e.g. Origin 325A) +  three month Arena Commander Alpha access  15 $ + T-Shirt 10 $ + 3 month Jumppoint magazine subscription 30 $ = 135 $

tooootally unrealistic number ;-) ... or .. maybe not ...

But as always ... the truth will be in the middle I guess  ... Redeemer sales will be one part of it, many new backers will be the other part of it.  

IMHO whoever wanted a Redeemer would have bought it weeks ago when the announcement came. That the stats have now been changed / improved is a bonus. A few may have bought a Redeemer after the changed stats have been announced, but not thousands. 

Its speculation anyway, personal opinion ... we lack the facts.

Shall we agree to disagree ?

Have fun

PS:

when i say typical ship package, that means ship +

"Also Contains

• SelfLand Hangar
    • Starting Money: 2,000 UEC
    • 4 Month Insurance
    • Digital Game Soundtrack
    • Digital Star Map
    • Digital Star Citizen Manual
    • Squadron 42 Digital Download
    • Star Citizen Digital Download
    • Beta Access"

• rpmcmurphyrpmcmurphy Member EpicPosts: 3,502

I agree that it is probably not all at one extreme.

The trouble I have with your example is it's almost 7000 people all purchasing that stuff you listed (or items of equivalent value). It also assumes that a new backer with little knowledge of the game would fork over $30 for a 3 month magazine subscription and a T-shirt etc, that's the sort of things dedicated fans would put money down for, not new people dipping their toes.

Originally posted by rpmcmurphy

I agree that it is probably not all at one extreme.

The trouble I have with your example is it's almost 7000 people all purchasing that stuff you listed (or items of equivalent value). It also assumes that a new backer with little knowledge of the game would fork over $30 for a 3 month magazine subscription and a T-shirt etc, that's the sort of things dedicated fans would put money down for, not new people dipping their toes.

In my world everyone who backs a pre-feature-complete-Alpha level game IS a dedicated fan ;-)  who typically wants to "show his colours" and be informed en detail.

The "new people dipping their toes in" IMHO will come with Beta testing, when the polishing and balancing of a complete game is going on.

Have fun