Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What SINGLE game feature or game mechanic ruin an MMO for you?

12346»

Comments

• mark2123mark2123 Member UncommonPosts: 450
    This is easy for me. Unimaginative quests.  Kill 10 of these and collect 10 of those.  Really, if they should still be in the game now, in any heavy amounts, then it's a turn-off.  After about 5 of anything, I'd say enough is enough.  Try re-rolling a toon in WoW and see what I mean.  I'm amazed they haven't gone back and put some extra thought in.  You really do nothing but fetch and kill in WoW level 1-60.
  • grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935
    Originally posted by mark2123
    This is easy for me. Unimaginative quests.  Kill 10 of these and collect 10 of those.  Really, if they should still be in the game now, in any heavy amounts, then it's a turn-off.  After about 5 of anything, I'd say enough is enough.  Try re-rolling a toon in WoW and see what I mean.  I'm amazed they haven't gone back and put some extra thought in.  You really do nothing but fetch and kill in WoW level 1-60.

Yep. Ties in to my response.

• magistaremagistare Member UncommonPosts: 12

For myself the worst new concept is for forced solo instancing.  When you have to outlevel the instance to beat it where they stuff you into a tiny area and the mob/boss just pinballs you with knockbacks.  Made  it to 45 in FFXIV left.  ESO the same thing.  I am not sure where they get the guys who develop these fights, I seriously think they choose the guy going through the worst divorce and ask him to design a boss fight and he takes all his anger out on players.  I do not expect tank and spank, but if a game advertises itself as an mmo then by damn let me be able to ask for help from someone if I need it that can enter with me.  This new genre of solo mmo is costly on both sides of the coin. Developers promising the next big thing, players expecting it and we get rush to market, fix it later mentality that has been plaguing the market for 20 years now.  We play the beta, beg for certain changes but it seems artistic intergirty of the developers will never change and they cause the deaths of their own products by refusing to change anything in the game.  That is like selling only soy milk and when your customers say, hey bud, can we get milk from a cow? No? Really, well your buddy down the road sells it by the gallons.

Sorry this turned into a rant, the elusive chain mail bikini still evades my characters to this day that was promised in my AD&D redbox set and all those nice Boris paintings.

• FourplayFourplay Member UncommonPosts: 216

Lack of player cooperative synergy. FFXI has the renkei system, Guild Wars 2 lets you alter effects by working together. ARR got rid of their synergy system called regiments. I think more mmos should have synergistic combat systems.

One dimensional endgame. I hate that most endgames are confined to standard combat in raids or dungeons. SWG had JTL which was completely different from the standard game. Why can't more mmo companies offer different types of endgame mechanics wise? Have a PvE and PvP version or blend the two.

• olepiolepi Member EpicPosts: 2,829

I guess an intrusive cash shop is the most off-putting in a game for me. I don't mind vanity things in a cash shop, and unobtrusive pointers to the shop, but what I don't want to see is the game being an advertisement for the cash shop.

Unfortunately, developers have realized they can make more money in the cash shop than from subs, so we're gonna see a lot more of this.

Sigh.

------------
    2024: 47 years on the Net.

• LucchenoLuccheno Member UncommonPosts: 65

For me i'd have to say it's one (or all) of 3 things:

1 - Lack of immersion: Either because the quests are all the same, or because there is 0 voice acting, or maybe just because the "influence" of the main story is... well none, that really turns me off and makes me feel that i'm really just doing the same over and over again...

2 - Ghost towns: I mean, it doesn't need to be rush hour all the time, but nothing is worse than spending hours doing quests and stuff and seeing 1 random person, faaaaaaaaar away in the distance

3 - Heavy instanced: Doesn't need to be the good old Lineage II where you had a hugeeee world open, but games like TSW, ESO, GW2 and such others have done it well. Feels nice to "explore" the map, and not just hop around from one portal dungeon to the other :)

• KazuhiroKazuhiro Member UncommonPosts: 607

Just a SINGLE thing? That's a hard one, so much crap can ruin a mmo... But if I had to pick my number 1 reason to uninstall a mmo?

Gender locked classes.

It's not at the top of the list by much, but I instantly uninstall any mmo with them.

To find an intelligent person in a PUG is not that rare, but to find a PUG made up of "all" intelligent people is one of the rarest phenomenons in the known universe.