Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Great Bill Murphy Challenge!

NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916

So let's do something fun and awesome !

Here's the challenge:

In this very thread post what you think would be an awesome title/idea for Mr. Murphy to write an article on. Something MMO related to be sure. Then Mr. Murphy can choose one of the suggestions and write the article.

The idea being to get a pulse of what the readers here would like to see articles on and provide some fun community building without dumping a bucket of ice on your head or something.

Just a fun thought for you Bill, hope you turn this into something more semi-official.

Have you done one on your personal gaming history? Most played MMORPG?

You can see where I'm going with this help me out with some brilliant ideas people!

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

Comments

• VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872
    "Games were better back then"

• WereLlamaWereLlama Member UncommonPosts: 246

I'd like to see a quick history lesson on mmo features that were added from 1999 until 2014, plus a final segment on whats in the works (innovation wise) for next 3 years based off what hes hearing as a journalist.

-WL

• BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565

I love this!  I tell you what, next week we'll do an intro column based on this.  I'll take a topic from this thread for the first one, and then we'll start this semi regularly as a "Ask the Editor" sort of series.

Cheers, guys!

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749
    The evolution of the MMO from inception to now, both in design and business model.  The real and perceived merits and demerits of that evolution.  The industry is quick to talk about their view of the future of MMO's, but we never see anything official on the player's point of view on what direction MMOs should take going into the future.

• RhinotonesRhinotones Member UncommonPosts: 250

I've always wanted to know the history of MMORPG.com.

When and how it started, by whom, how many staff it employs now, do they raid together etc etc.

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888

Article about MMORPG.com.

When and how was it founded? What kind of servers are running this website? What's your peak Users Online -number? How many of users are from NA, and how many from other parts of the world?

• Peer_GyntPeer_Gynt Member UncommonPosts: 79

I'll take a piece of the action. This idea came out of one of those circle of old friends debates where everyone's had too much alcohol and not enough sleep. It boiled down to some half baked malarkey on the nature of art and the importance that it must convey some kind of emotion. Anyway we could all agree on some level when it came to books, music, movies or actual paintings and sculpture, even comic books, but we kept drawing a blank when it came to video games.

While I know that there are many single player games that could fit this category, are there any MMORPGs that could? And I don't just mean through the game story, are there games that resonate with people the same way other kinds of artistic expression or entertainment do?

• sunandshadowsunandshadow Member RarePosts: 1,985
    I liked the past articles about progress and content consumption, so I'd like to see something kind of related to that.  Specifically I'd like to see a list of what different kinds of MMOers LOVE in MMOs, and more importantly the psychology of why they love that.  The article about progress didn't really get into the psychology of why people want to roleplay that they are making progress and how it's related to other kinds of entertainment and literature (like the bildungsroman story pattern) as much as I hoped.
    I want to help design and develop a PvE-focused, solo-friendly, sandpark MMO which combines crafting, monster hunting, and story.  So PM me if you are starting one.
  • MensurMensur Member EpicPosts: 1,512

I want him to write 2 things:

1: about trion and xl-games and the fuck up!

2: About SC and their greedy backer 61+mil project!

mmorpg junkie since 1999

• RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607
    I'd just like to know the basics behind his approach to reviewing MMO's back in the day, compared to how he reviews, now.  That evolution.  Everything has changed so much...
  • PepeqPepeq Member UncommonPosts: 1,977
    Blizzard recently stated in the Looking For Group documentary that housing as a feature in MMOs was boring.  How about doing an article on housing... you have instanced housing and in-world housing out there now.  Do gamers really have a desire to play house or is it merely another diversion such as dailies and achievements?  Well something along those lines.  People seem to clammer for housing like it's the holy grail or something but I personally don't see the point.
  • HokieHokie Member UncommonPosts: 1,063
    Originally posted by Robsolf
    I'd just like to know the basics behind his approach to reviewing MMO's back in the day, compared to how he reviews, now.  That evolution.  Everything has changed so much...

Has it really?

The games are still reviewed on...Fun, Graphics, Sound , yadda, yadda, yadda and then an injection of personal opinion.

I think the only real change to the reviews are the revisits after things are patched up, something like 1-2 months after release. Sort of like a rereview would be more accurate.

"I understand that if I hear any more words come pouring out of your **** mouth, Ill have to eat every fucking chicken in this room."

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

i think we have talked about this before but ill say it anyway...

Keep my MMO out of my single player game!

• sunandshadowsunandshadow Member RarePosts: 1,985
    Originally posted by Pepeq
    Blizzard recently stated in the Looking For Group documentary that housing as a feature in MMOs was boring.

Gotta wonder how they can be so out-of-touch with modern MMO players.  Though, if they're only bothering to look at what current WoW players want, that particular group probably has no idea about what a central part of a game housing can be, and how creative and personal it can be.  The Sims series, A Tale in the Desert, and Second Life are some key places to look at housing in games.

I want to help design and develop a PvE-focused, solo-friendly, sandpark MMO which combines crafting, monster hunting, and story.  So PM me if you are starting one.
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Originally posted by Rhinotones

When and how it started, by whom, how many staff it employs now, do they raid together etc etc.

I like this idea.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• mmoguy43mmoguy43 Member UncommonPosts: 2,770

Thoughts on future MMOs. More developer involvement with the community? Community building the game's content? Complex systems that generate content? 

Replayability in MMOs

Speculate if X MMO did or didn't happen. If a MMO did work out somehow without shutting down or it didn't exist/become popular.

We have see an MMO universe that was all subscription only, thoughts on if all MMOs were F2P.

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

Originally posted by Iselin

I've always wanted to know the history of MMORPG.com.When and how it started, by whom, how many staff it employs now, do they raid together etc etc.
    I like this idea.
    I'll jump on this one, too. It would make a great "starter" column :)

PS: nilden, I think you should get a "Spotlight Poster" tag for this :)

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• KuviskiKuviski Member UncommonPosts: 215

I don't really care who'd write about this stuff, but generally on the site I'd like to see a couple of topics covered more.

First, I'd like to see stuff related to virtual world design. You know, the kind of stuff Raph Koster sometimes writes about.

And to go along with that, I'd like to see more genre history. Just in general, thoughts of the devs who worked on games back in the day and so on. What kinds of features they wanted to implement, how they felt they succeeded, and so on.

• NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
    Originally posted by BillMurphy

I love this!  I tell you what, next week we'll do an intro column based on this.  I'll take a topic from this thread for the first one, and then we'll start this semi regularly as a "Ask the Editor" sort of series.

Cheers, guys!

Sweet, looking forward to it!

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

• alyndalealyndale Member UncommonPosts: 936

YAY!!!!image

Nice job Nilden wonderful idea.

Ok let's see, maybe the history of the massively multiplayer online game and the impact it has made on gaming society, Bill! What do you think sir? I would love to see an update comprehensive investigative report on that topic. For me it would be awesome. I'm a historian thus it would be fantastic to read possibly a two or three part set of columns on this topic.

Thanks!

Alyn

All I want is the truth
    Just gimme some truth
    John Lennon

• kjempffkjempff Member RarePosts: 1,759

Would like to hear about your most played game(s), and why it/they were great for you as a gamer. Preferably just your personal experience and taste, and not as much as a mmorpg.com editor.. If it is possible to seperate.

Cheers.

• MensurMensur Member EpicPosts: 1,512
    Originally posted by AlBQuirky

Originally posted by Iselin

I like this idea.
    I'll jump on this one, too. It would make a great "starter" column :)

PS: nilden, I think you should get a "Spotlight Poster" tag for this :)

This one makes most sense for me...think ill take my previous suggestion back!

mmorpg junkie since 1999

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

Originally posted by DMKano
    Oh this one is easyE3 2013 Best in Show award for EQNextHow in seven hells did that happen?Has this at least prompted MMORPG to change policy for games to be at least in "hands on playable" state before considering them for any awards?
    I'd like to know this, too, but have a feeling that they will ignore this and hope it goes away :)

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749

There's only one challenge worthy enough: "The List: 5 things to do in case of a bad PUG - the Murphy survival kit"  :)

edit: but if not, the site's early years would be a nice topic indeed. I only was an occasional reader from the late 2000s till the reg, I'm curious what has happened before that time.

• mmoguy43mmoguy43 Member UncommonPosts: 2,770
    Originally posted by AlBQuirky

Originally posted by DMKano
    Oh this one is easy

E3 2013 Best in Show award for EQNext

How in seven hells did that happen?

Has this at least prompted MMORPG to change policy for games to be at least in "hands on playable" state before considering them for any awards?

I'd like to know this, too, but have a feeling that they will ignore this and hope it goes away :)

It's not surprising. There weren't any other note worthy MMOs that were presented. Even compared to playable ones it wins by what was shown.